Sign in to follow this  
nolatom

CG ends search, 29' sailboat missing, east coast

This didn't turn out well for the 82-year old solo sailor who departed Virginia Beach for Florida:

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/coast-guard-suspends-search-for-82-year-old-sailor

From the article and search-plot, it seems the Coast Guard searched "everywhere", from his intended route all the way to where the gulf stream and prevailing winds might have carried him.

The CG comments about the importance of a fixed VHF and an EPIRB, make it sound as this gentleman may have not have had them.

Condolences to his family.  Does this beat a nursing home at the end?  I'm never sure if that's the right thing to say, but did anyway.

• Like 1

it should be illegal for guys in their 80s to buy 2nd hand boats out of someone's backyard

11 minutes ago, Parma said:

it should be illegal for guys in their 80s to buy 2nd hand boats out of someone's backyard

Why?

Tell us that when you are 82

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Tell us that when you are 82

there isn't a person alive who thinks i'm gonna see 82. i figure 72 is about my number. 

3 minutes ago, Editor said:

there isn't a person alive who thinks i'm gonna see 82. i figure 72 is about my number. 

I picked 34 for some reason, obviously much younger. I just doubled it, see if you can make 144.

mighty strong , that will to live  ........................

While sailing off into the drink may be a guys' way to check out, it's hard on the family especially if they are the sort who find closure in a wake and funeral etc, and exposes the Coasties to some additional operational risks to go look for him. 

13 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I HOPE I CAN STILL DO THAT AT THAT AGE.THATS THE WAY I WANT TO GO OUT. BEATS TUBES AND SHIT

Have you considered disabling your caps lock? Because if you don't, you're going on my ignore list. I don't come here to have people yell at me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Is that better Ish?

Well, I can still read it, but it's marginal. A bit louder would be OK.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Have you considered disabling your caps lock? Because if you don't, you're going on my ignore list. I don't come here to have people yell at me.

Can't you tell he's hard of hearing?

- Stumbling

6 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Can't you tell he's hard of hearing?

- Stumbling

Well shit, I'm hard of thinking and I'm smart enough to turn caps off.

Viking funeral?

On 11/9/2018 at 1:21 PM, NaptimeAgain said:

While sailing off into the drink may be a guys' way to check out, it's hard on the family especially if they are the sort who find closure in a wake and funeral etc, and exposes the Coasties to some additional operational risks to go look for him. 

True on the CG having to take risks,   Medicare might have spent just as much for a couple years of chemo, radiation, surgery and the inevitable complications.   Why not take risks when you are old, there is less downside.   Dealing with the long slide isn’t easy on family either.   I won’t judge.

3 hours ago, Lark said:

True on the CG having to take risks,   Medicare might have spent just as much for a couple years of chemo, radiation, surgery and the inevitable complications.   Why not take risks when you are old, there is less downside.   Dealing with the long slide isn’t easy on family either.   I won’t judge.

Hopefully it came quick like a jibe to the head. We waste a ton of money and effort on largely futile medical attempts to squeeze out another day.  

On 11/8/2018 at 7:58 PM, Parma said:

Nope

Dreams have no age limit. 

But Mother Nature is a tough adversary at that age

I've spent far too much time in recent years watching relatives age out.  One common thing is that elderly folks can become metabolically fragile. Such that an unusual physical effort, or a minor infection, maybe a bit of dehydration, sends a kidney out of whack and presto! instant dementia.  Meals don't get eaten, meds don't get taken, and things spiral from there.  It's possible to recover from, but it seems to take a long time and hospitalization.  I imagine that if it happened alone at sea, that would pretty much be the end.  

On the other hand, people who get out and sail and such are probably less likely to get into a metabolically fragile state in the first place.  

17 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Nope

Dreams have no age limit. 

But Mother Nature is a tough adversary at that age

not suggesting that an 80+ yr old should not be allowed to buy a boat, just not a backyard boat

backyard boats fall apart fast and are there for a reason, none of them good.

No way...

I'm going to live to 100 and completely revert back to the simple joys of being a kid.

I will rediscover the awesomeness of things like a slinky, or a coloring book.

And then I'm driving my sports car to the marina and TAKE ISH's BOAT OUT FOR A SAIL!

• Like 1

Just spent today with my Mom. 

I love her more than myself.

Shes so bad I’d take the boat, backyard special more than any other!:blink:

coincidentally, one of the NARC boats that left from Newport saw what they described as a 32'er in the GS, probably Tuesday or Wed the 30th or 31st. They were able to get the name and reported it to at least Bermuda Radio but I don't know much more about it than that.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:11 AM, ryley said:

coincidentally, one of the NARC boats that left from Newport saw what they described as a 32'er in the GS, probably Tuesday or Wed the 30th or 31st. They were able to get the name and reported it to at least Bermuda Radio but I don't know much more about it than that.

you mean like an obviously abandoned boat or a boat with flapping sails drifting aimlessly?

sail off and die at that age, what a way to go. Fuck the other options.