Editor

what is it?

Farr Infiniti 46

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Looks kinda like Antony’s old whip, but the fenders aren’t hanging off the side.  

DCC1C652-6E97-4629-AE8E-BA4420240079.jpeg

762F3073-4EBC-4472-AEDA-72680DC25009.jpeg

but that is the idiot trying to strangle himself, isn't it?

• Like 1

Looking at the video at 3:36 the trimmer takes a nasty header and hits the deck hard. The sea state is relatively flat compared to what you get on a Transpac race.

Sea state is hard to tell in a video. They are hard reaching with cross seas in the open ocean on the way to Hobart. Hard to say the Transpac is going to be worse sea state wise. Certainly possible, and longer, and the boat has to perform across a wide range of angles, but I’m not that concerned for the crew in that seas state. For a46’ boat charging along at 20 kts i don’t think you can expect the boat to be Cadillac smooth.

It looks drier on deck than I expected. 

But with larger waves that could be a salt encrusted ride on a Transpac.  Well, no matter, they will have fun and they will get there quick so they can dig the salt crystals out of all their crevices sooner than most.  

9 minutes ago, Presuming Ed said:

What is the rationalization for leaving the windward canard extended? I can't imagine a carbon foil would provide any meaningful righting moment and would cause extra windage. 

16 minutes ago, onepointfivethumbs said:

What is the rationalization for leaving the windward canard extended? I can't imagine a carbon foil would provide any meaningful righting moment and would cause extra windage. 

foot rest ?

They are sprooking their Newport to Bermuda Race result, 1st in class etc etc only 2 boats in their class. Also they were 20 hours slower than a TP52 and only minutes quicker than a Carkeek 47, slower than a Cookson 50 etc despite canting keel and DSS foils? Doesn't sound too fast to me or very narrow performance range? Thoughts..?

2 hours ago, DamnSkippy said:

Looking at the video at 3:36 the trimmer takes a nasty header and hits the deck hard. The sea state is relatively flat compared to what you get on a Transpac race.

Not sure you know what taking a header is, looks like he slipped or rolled a line underfoot and fell on his ass.

isn't chopper their fanboy ? i may be wrong but they definitely had a PR department on this site for a while.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Left Shift said:

It looks drier on deck than I expected. 

But with larger waves that could be a salt encrusted ride on a Transpac.  Well, no matter, they will have fun and they will get there quick so they can dig the salt crystals out of all their crevices sooner than most.  

oh i don't know how much "fun" they are going to have. this shot is taken from the companionway! it has less room than my ft 10. and if it's a farr boat, (which i now know it isn't) doesn't that mean it's likely a bit of a dog? name the last good boat they have drawn...

what is it 11 9 5.jpg

13 minutes ago, Editor said:

oh i don't know how much "fun" they are going to have. this shot is taken from the companionway! it has less room than my ft 10. and if it's a farr boat, doesn't that mean it's likely a bit of a dog? name the last good boat they have drawn...

Looks a bit like my boat.  Although we spent a bit more on white paint. 

You can still have a fair bit of fun.  Just don't stand up fast coming on watch.  And wear head lamps and knee pads.

As for Farr?  The VOR65's certainly did their job.

of course charging down the waves in breeze i assume would be a blast, although i bet it is a weird and difficult thing to steer well.

as for what farr has done, after the vor 65, whatcha got? i mean, who even is farr design? the same guys who came up with this one too? why not add about three more foils why they are at it? retarded, and nobody was even remotely interested.

given all the newer, proven talent out there, i can't imagine any scenario where getting a new farr boat would make much sense...

infiniti 56.jpg

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They are sprooking their Newport to Bermuda Race result, 1st in class etc etc only 2 boats in their class. Also they were 20 hours slower than a TP52 and only minutes quicker than a Carkeek 47, slower than a Cookson 50 etc despite canting keel and DSS foils? Doesn't sound too fast to me or very narrow performance range? Thoughts..?

Kind of like saying, cookson 50 is a failure of a boat, because it beats some tp52's, then gets beaten by a 55 footer 

Cant' remember which race but one of them that had some strong downwind and a bit of reaching at the end after pretty light rest of the race .... showed their potential. From memory they were matching the carkeek or botin 60 on that angle, but of course the advantage on one angle, may be a disadvantage on another.

5 minutes ago, dachopper said:

Kind of like saying, cookson 50 is a failure of a boat, because it beats some tp52's, then gets beaten by a 55 footer 

Cant' remember which race but one of them that had some strong downwind and a bit of reaching at the end after pretty light rest of the race .... showed their potential. From memory they were matching the carkeek or botin 60 on that angle, but of course the advantage on one angle, may be a disadvantage on another.

Yeah the Cookson 50 is shit ...................... just waiting for the price to tank ...................... anytime now .......................

DSS and other surface piercing foils are a transition to something else.

If you have a look, all the videos have the boat yawing port and starboard.  It's inevitable when you stick something out the side of the boat.

I now admit that the AC approach is the solution.

11 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

foot rest ?

Foil has to go somewhere, its too long to fit cleanly in the hull when retracted.

15 hours ago, ryley said:

Farr Infiniti 46

As pointed out, it's a Wellbourne Infiniti 46. I apologize - I thought it was the Farr Infiniti 53 and forgot to take the Farr off when I edited the post.

http://www.farrdesign.com/779.html

Maverick hasn't signed up for Transpac yet (she has until March I believe).

And she better be tone down her plans - her video shows hard reaching in 25 kts - transpac is 80% in less than 17 kts and mostly 12-16kts pure running. Crusader came all powered up and then sat on her haunches in light running conditions.

2 hours ago, samc99us said:

Foil has to go somewhere, its too long to fit cleanly in the hull when retracted.

I’ve seen pics where only about 6” is protruding and even then they might not have tried to snug it all the way in. Leaving it all the way out makes less sense than pulling it most of the way in. 

6 hours ago, hughw said:

Nothing to do with Farr!  It's my design through and through.

my bad! is the boat here to do transpac?

On 11/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, DamnSkippy said:

Clumsy bastard just slips...

• Like 1

As Hugh Welburn noted above, it’s his design and it seems to sail very well given the conditions. Any crew looking for an adventure at sea isn’t t looking for standing headroom below either. 

I’d go sailing on it in a heart beat. Great job on the design!

On 11/8/2018 at 6:59 PM, See Level said:

Not sure you know what taking a header is, looks like he slipped or rolled a line underfoot and fell on his ass.

It's a bicycling term when you launch yourself over the handlebars.

The boat sure looks like it bounces around a lot. A lot of yawing, too.

The Farr 280 is the same way under sail.

Matt Sheehan called it a “grunty” ride  when he sailed on one a few years back. 

I think it does a great job tracking for the amount of wind and sea it’s sailing through.