Sign in to follow this  
Editor

plenty of fish

m-40-5.jpg

This is the best picture to come out of the Melges 40 Lanzarote GP in the Canary Islands. Oh the poor Melges 40. A cool looking thing with seemingly all the right stuff, but exorbitantly priced targeted for a group of buyers that never really materialized.

We wouldn't call the class dead, but it surely is on life support. That and the Melges 37 ain't helping...

Got a comment?

What?  Not enough rich white cnuts?

Five boats built? Too bad for a sweet thought. Seems like the people that can afford don't want to go one design.

This feels like the same thing that happened when the Mumm 36 came out quickly followed by the Mumm 30

3 hours ago, Sam V said:

Five boats built? Too bad for a sweet thought. Seems like the people that can afford don't want to go one design.

Or the Club Swan 50 just might be cooler, cheaper, better parties, easier to sail, etc...  Boats that try to create a market usually fail.  Boats that respond to a market do better.  

• Like 1

Too bad. 

I think Fareast will come up with something in that size range but much less expensive in the next 2-3 years. They already have the 31’ in ‘ glass or carbon fiber and looking to do a 37’ and a 40’+. 

‘Melges 37 ain’t helping?’  WTF? Two completely different boats going after completely different owners.....  

the Melges 40, the builder can build boats, but have no orders, the Melges 37, they have orders, but the builder can’t get boats built......

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Too bad. 

I think Fareast will come up with something in that size range but much less expensive in the next 2-3 years. They already have the 31’ in ‘ glass or carbon fiber and looking to do a 37’ and a 40’+. 

Except, no one bought the 31. 

I think the 31 was designed to showcase their talent as a builder of larger boats. The 28R has enough hulls built and sold to fill that basic size range and done well in the past few years.

50 minutes ago, Norcal said:

‘Melges 37 ain’t helping?’  WTF? Two completely different boats going after completely different owners.....  

the Melges 40, the builder can build boats, but have no orders, the Melges 37, they have orders, but the builder can’t get boats built......

sure buddy. no way would a guy considering a 40, but a 37 instead. amazing how much you know.

1 hour ago, mad said:

POF-Page.JPG.203f75f065630518edc36061c720ec86.JPG

and I thought this was about the Ed’s new dating plans. 

that was pretty much the impetus for the headline. that and all the fish swimming in the pic. i is a genius.

8 minutes ago, Editor said:

that was pretty much the impetus for the headline. that and all the fish swimming in the pic. i is a genius.

A stable genius? :P

1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

How big are your hands Ed?

very small. sad. because he's a terrific person. really great guy. but sad what they have done to him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Editor said:

sure buddy. no way would a guy considering a 40, but a 37 instead. amazing how much you know.

Amazing how much you know, the kind of owner looking at a 40 is a compleley different kind of owner than a guy looking at a 37, but obviously you know so much.

I'm thinking Craig Leweck snuck back in under the fence line.

5 hours ago, Editor said:

To be fair, one’s a canter, so quite a bit different than just 3 feet. 

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Amazing how much you know, the kind of owner looking at a 40 is a compleley different kind of owner than a guy looking at a 37, but obviously you know so much.

Aren't you two twits saying the same thing???

10 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Too bad. 

Except that they couldn't get the 31 off the lot - probably sub 10 built in the past 8 years (or however long they have been available)

14 hours ago, Sam V said:

Well if you want to race in that size range you get more action in the Fast 40 class

9 hours ago, hobot said:

I'm thinking Craig Leweck snuck back in under the fence line.

except that cunt doesn't know anything about either, unless of course it is sent to him as a press release. then just watch the cut and paste queen go.

useless fucking tool.

• Like 1

Like the VOR, you aren’t going to start a fleet if you only build 5 / 7 boats. 

They were warned about what would happen if they didn't cooperate.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, random said:

Ok, even LB would agree that one was hit for 6! 

1 hour ago, SCANAS said:

Ok, even LB would agree that one was hit for 6! 

I put it up there pretty slow, one of the current Aussie openers could have picked that one.

13 hours ago, Christian said:

Except that they couldn't get the 31 off the lot - probably sub 10 built in the past 8 years (or however long they have been available)

They also have shitty promotion and marketing people here in the US for their big boats. They can’t get enough optis, lasers and 420’s sold by the same team...

On 11/9/2018 at 10:51 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

LOOK DINNER

On 11/9/2018 at 10:54 PM, ROADKILL666 said:

HEY ED WE COULDN'T HAVE A CAPTION CONTEST ON THE J24 IN THE NEXT ARTICLE? 

stop shouting 

5 hours ago, random said:

if only we had that much juice...

20 hours ago, Monkey said:

To be fair, one’s a canter, so quite a bit different than just 3 feet. 

but not so different than the schock 40 after the first keel break, drop & loss except that the s40 was originally conceived to be offshore capable, not a buoy racer. (think about that for a minute and what it implies)

23 minutes ago, Parma said:

but not so different than the schock 40 after the first keel break, drop & loss except that the s40 was originally conceived to be offshore capable, not a buoy racer. (think about that for a minute and what it implies)

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying. I was just saying that a canter is worlds apart in maintenance, so it really wasn’t about being a few feet bigger. 

i guess the point is that the schock 40 and melges 40 are much more like each other than to the melges 37, and will be more so after the first melges 40 keel break, drop or loss.

suspect that melges 37 has a future, but the melges 40 does not 

all of them are really cool boats.

5 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

They also have shitty promotion and marketing people here in the US for their big boats. They can’t get enough optis, lasers and 420’s sold by the same team...

In Europe they didn't sell the 31 either - while the 28 has sold pretty nicely.  I do believe the 31 and 28 speaks to different market segments

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Editor said:

don't quote the troll .

17 hours ago, Editor said:
22 hours ago, random said:

If you need a hand, just let me know and we can make them an offer they ...

image.png