SailBlueH2O

Florida Recount 2018

Going to be interesting.  Saw a video allegedly shot in Texas of poll workers at several locations saying that the reporter’s friend who was not a citizen could vote.

Broward and Palm Beach counties?  What a surprise.

I thought all the early votes were to be counted and reported shortly after the polls closed.  How do they keep finding more?

40 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I thought all the early votes were to be counted and reported shortly after the polls closed.  How do they keep finding more?

Because the people who hide them aren't very smart.

• Like 2

We're gonna need American Leadership to send down some folks for a spontaneous grass roots expression of local disfavor with this.  We need to have another Brooks Brothers riot to put a stop to this before the votes get counted.  This recount stuff is crazy talk. 

http://www.historycommons.org/entity.jsp?entity=david_leahy_1

a999brooksbrothersriot_2050081722-41323.

54 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Yeah... but it takes time to count them 3 and 4 times....

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Shameful

Demvotes.jpg

There's nothing wrong with getting more than one sticker.

I usually do. You need two.

ivetoed.jpg

The Dems cry every vote counts... but don’t hear the cry of every life dismembered in the womb...

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Yeah... but it takes time to count them 3 and 4 times....

Well, they run out of fingers & toes pretty early in the process, so it takes a while

-DSK

5 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

The Dems cry every vote counts... but don’t hear the cry of every life dismembered in the womb...

That's over the top.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Because the people who hide them aren't very smart.

Well, it is Broward and Palm Beach counties.

We need a wambulance stat! The butt hurt is strong around here.

1 minute ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Just trying to follow their logic 

Don't go there, it incites a more rabid response.  

Now there is a claim that the ballot was confusing.  

The funny part is that the people who did not vote for all offices on the ballot were not from poor areas!  See the map on https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-election-broward-unusual-total-20181108-story.html- scroll down to the precinct map.  The issue was in Hillsboro Beach (cheap condos are $500K and homes several mil) as well as Coral Springs (another not cheap area).

YCMTSU!

42 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

36 minutes ago, VOA said:

That's over the top.

Nah, just bad drama.

19 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:
1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

56 minutes ago, VOA said:

That's over the top.

Nah, just bad drama.

Men who are strongly anti-abortion are just showing that they believe women to be inferior. It's not an issue that concerns men, unless they want to control or punish women.

-DSK

Just a coincidence  out of the 3007 counties in the 50 states Palm Beach and Broward  somehow can't get their votes counted in a timely fashion. Back in the last recount with the paper/hanging chad fiasco, I could not understand why they didn't have the same system as Manatee county where I live. It is a optical scanner which reads each ballot electronically and the vote is tallied at the election headquarters immediately , this system also has a paper ballot as a physical receipt  to verify against the tally or in case of a recount. Of course Palm Beach and Broward don't want such a tamper proof system....it is shameful !

6 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Just a coincidence  out of the 3007 counties in the 50 states Palm Beach and Broward  somehow can't get their votes counted in a timely fashion. Back in the last recount with the paper/hanging chad fiasco, I could not understand why they didn't have the same system as Manatee county where I live. It is a optical scanner which reads each ballot electronically and the vote is tallied at the election headquarters immediately , this system also has a paper ballot as a physical receipt  to verify against the tally or in case of a recount. Of course Palm Beach and Broward don't want such a tamper proof system....it is shameful !

You Floridians definitely are the cause of much embarrassment to the US of A.

Can't count votes, even now after being the butt of jokes since 2000

Florida-Man 

Happy Malarkey

Just now, Raz'r said:

Florida-Man 

Happy Malarkey

It is embarrassing....but deliberate and that is the shameful part 

26 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Florida-Man 

Happy Malarkey

The Supervisor of Elections at issue (Dr. Snipes) was appointed to the job by...  then-Gov. JEB Bush, and reelected since.  If you think she is bad, you should have seen her predecessor, Miriam Oliphant.  Ms. Oliphant replaced a long time public servant (Jane Carroll, off of the top of my head) who never had a problem in her office, but she was an aging white woman whose party affiliation I don't know, in a county with rapidly changing demographics.  Ms. Oliphant was, and likely still is, a strikingly good looking African American woman, with not a hint of the skills needed to administer an office of that sort.  But she was a faithful democRAT, and the Party Machine wanted her in that spot.  I shudder to think of what we would be looking at today if she were still in office.  

What we are seeing, I suspect, is that the results are usually not close enough for the mail-in and/or provisional ballots to matter, 2000 notwithstanding.  This time, it is close enough to require recounts, but before that can happen, they need to finish the count.  I suspect that we will see many of the same people from 2000 fighting to make sure that there is no count or recount of those ballots.  That is why I vote in person, early.  I want to see the cocksucker that challenges my vote.  I want him to challenge it to my face, not in some safe room somewhere.  

IMHO we need a standard procedure for voting in Federal elections.  States can do what they want in state and local elections, but Federal elections need to be above reproach. Large percentages of the populace having no faith in the system is a formula for disaster.

18 minutes ago, J28 said:

IMHO we need a standard procedure for voting in Federal elections.  States can do what they want in state and local elections, but Federal elections need to be above reproach. Large percentages of the populace having no faith in the system is a formula for disaster.

The midterms are local elections.  Representatives and Senators may work in Washington but they are state offices elected withing the state.

That said, the state should standardize the ballot and processing for all state level offices.  Allowing local Supervisors of Elections to determine the ballot layout, printing  and processing leads to too many problems.  Let them do their own county candidates and issues but leave the rest to the state board.

I heard lots of Russian accents around last week...... We were in a resort kind of Gulf town, with lots of out patient medical centers...... I'll bet that's the problem right there!

6 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

We're gonna need American Leadership to send down some folks for a spontaneous grass roots expression of local disfavor with this.  We need to have another Brooks Brothers riot to put a stop to this before the votes get counted.  This recount stuff is crazy talk. 

http://www.historycommons.org/entity.jsp?entity=david_leahy_1

a999brooksbrothersriot_2050081722-41323.

send in John Bolton 

DriAijNXgAUdRRw.jpg

goddamn there are some permanent grifters in the Republican orbit.

I wondered what this was all about, your system (for want of a better word) is confusing.

Found this really excellent explanation of the who's where's and why's of the recounts 

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/9/18078794/vote-recounts-georgia-florida-arizona

Then I got to this bit.

:jawdrop:

This matters, particularly in the Senate race. For example, in Broward County, of the 695,799 people who turned in ballots, only 665,688 voted in the Senate race, according to the current count — less than almost every other statewide race on the ballot. Broward County is a Democratic stronghold in Florida.

Why there have been so many “under votes” in Broward County remains a mystery. Some have said it’s because of how the ballot is formatted, putting the Senate race on the bottom of the page under a long block of voting instructions. But Nelson’s lawyer thinks it’s a machine error that would be rectified with a hand recount.

It's no wonder people chuckle at the "Great Democracy" boast.

20 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

send in John Bolton 

DriAijNXgAUdRRw.jpg

goddamn there are some permanent grifters in the Republican orbit.

on both sides.  During Bush v. Gore, one law firm in Tallahassee which specializes in election law had attorneys on both sides of the case.  They are damn good at what they do, but that had to be one hell of a firewall.  

The bastion of democracy can't get a vote right after > 225 years of practice. 

SAD

7 hours ago, VOA said:
7 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That's over the top.

No, it's just stupid. No need to quote it.

Or re-quote it...sorry...

35 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

I wondered what this was all about, your system (for want of a better word) is confusing.

Found this really excellent explanation of the who's where's and why's of the recounts 

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/9/18078794/vote-recounts-georgia-florida-arizona

Then I got to this bit.

:jawdrop:

This matters, particularly in the Senate race. For example, in Broward County, of the 695,799 people who turned in ballots, only 665,688 voted in the Senate race, according to the current count — less than almost every other statewide race on the ballot. Broward County is a Democratic stronghold in Florida.

Why there have been so many “under votes” in Broward County remains a mystery. Some have said it’s because of how the ballot is formatted, putting the Senate race on the bottom of the page under a long block of voting instructions. But Nelson’s lawyer thinks it’s a machine error that would be rectified with a hand recount.

It's no wonder people chuckle at the "Great Democracy" boast.

Because WAY more usually people skip over U.S. Senator or Governor at the top of the ballot to vote for the Commissioner of Agriculture.

7 hours ago, Sean said:

We need a wambulance stat! The butt hurt is strong around here.

Imagine the horror of Republicans having to endure an election where they kept on and counted every vote even after they GOP decided they'd won.

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

Imagine the horror of Republicans having to endure an election where they kept on and counted every vote even after they GOP decided they'd won.

Is that legal? Once a party declares itself the victor, they should just throw all the ballots away and run with it.

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

The midterms are local elections.  Representatives and Senators may work in Washington but they are state offices elected withing the state.

That said, the state should standardize the ballot and processing for all state level offices.  Allowing local Supervisors of Elections to determine the ballot layout, printing  and processing leads to too many problems.  Let them do their own county candidates and issues but leave the rest to the state board.

Look at you big central gov't types go!

21 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

on both sides.  During Bush v. Gore, one law firm in Tallahassee which specializes in election law had attorneys on both sides of the case.  They are damn good at what they do, but that had to be one hell of a firewall.  

I'm sure there are Team D grifters out there,  I just notice the Bolton/Kavanaughs more and it reinforces to me how shallow their bench is.

4 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

You guys mean like this one?

1280px-2016_Nationwide_US_presidential_c

As if land area mattered....

blue is civilization, red is waste land and farm fields, ie Trumpistan.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

As if land area mattered....

I especially like the large empty lots simply filled with signs supporting every Republican under the sun.

There Is something both symbolic and ironic about empty lots supporting Trump and other Republicans.

Just now, Voyageur said:

which color contributes most to the GDP?

Which color feeds the country?

Corn stalks don’t vote. Pity really. 

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

why bother with Democracy. Just let Trump take on Prez-for-life and hand out all offices to his minions. All hail Ivanka, Queen-in-Waiting

Because "finding" votes in supermajority (D) areas is all that is needed now. And look, a whole article that says just that.

Democraps~ " we are going to win the FL election"

The next day.

also democrap~ "quick find some more votes so we can win the FL election"

12 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

Because "finding" votes in supermajority (D) areas is all that is needed now. And look, a whole article that says just that.

why do you even interact with anyone outside the echo chamber snow flake?

2 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

lsfdjHj.jpg

2 hours ago, Not guilty said:

The one that gets paid for product and subsidized by the Govt, while whining about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

post_wwii-rankings-1.jpg

So, last Tuesday is looking like -37 seats and a LOSS of the house.  Which puts it in 7th place for seats and one of 6 out of 19 for losses.  Bush II considered his -30/LOSS a "thumping".  So I guess this one was a "spanking".  Which fat assed Two-scoops seems to like.

Good of you to post that.  

2 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

So, last Tuesday is looking like -37 seats and a LOSS of the house.  Which puts it in 7th place for seats and one of 6 out of 19 for losses.  Bush II considered his -30/LOSS a "thumping".  So I guess this one was a "spanking".  Which fat assed Two-scoops seems to like.

Good of you to post that.  

post_wwii-rankings-1.jpg

Kinda makes that promised BLUE WAVE a bit of a ripple.

If any of you guys are in the DC area, Ocasio-Cortez needs someone to put her up until January when she collects her first paycheck.

1 minute ago, Saorsa said:

post_wwii-rankings-1.jpg

Kinda makes that promised BLUE WAVE a bit of a ripple.

If any of you guys are in the DC area, Ocasio-Cortez needs someone to put her up until January when she collects her first paycheck.

OMG, we elected a poor person to Congress.  I thought only rich people could play in that sandbox.  Yeah, let's make something out of that.  

3 hours ago, Not guilty said:

The color that gets subsidies but hate-hate-hates goddam niggers on welfare?

The color that is getting butt-fucked by tariffs but voted overwhelmingly for the Tariffer-In-Chief? They also hate-hate-hate goddam faggots so maybe there's a little something going on there.

The color that can't name six foreign countries, or find three on the map, but they're certain we need a HUGE military to fight off all the enemies of freedom?

The color that blames Democrats & libby-rulls for the deficit but cheers tax cuts for the wealthy along with the military larger than the next dozen in the whole world?

I could go on and on, but this is one of those lessons that some people will never learn, no matter how many times their noses are rubbed in it

-DSK

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

I don't respond to racists that use words like that, good by!

Oo-o an insult... wait calling somebody a "racist" is bad, right?

And you realize you're out of your league...... you're learning something after all, grasshopper.

-DSK

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

I don't respond to racists that use words like that, good by!

The word is "bye." And as my mother used to say: " the door opens two ways. Don't let it hit you in the ass in the way out."

Ciao baby.  Don't think it has been real; it hasn't.

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And you realize you're out of your league...... you're learning something after all, grasshopper.

-DSK

Why question your good luck? :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J28 said:

Have to agree with you. Running elections along with drawing district boundaries should be done by apolitical experts as is the case in the civilized world. The American system has evolved into something that is far too politicized. We see the problem with elections and districting but you really need to ask whether it makes sense to elect judges, prosecutors, sheriffs, not to mention agriculture commissioners whatever the hell they might do. 

3 hours ago, Not guilty said:

LOL!

The color that pays the taxes  that subsidize the corporate farms. Want to keep going on that track, fuck face?

1 minute ago, Mrleft8 said:

LOL!

The color that pays the taxes  that subsidize the corporate farms. Want to keep going on that track, fuck face?

Hey dick smuggler the red states are the majority of the country and run it! 

#sorryyourgirllost

7 minutes ago, Not guilty said:

#sorryyourgirllost

OK, this is a Warbird sock. I thought it felt kinda inane.

1 hour ago, Not guilty said:

#sorryyourgirllost

Wrong. Guess again.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

OK, this is a Warbird sock. I thought it felt kinda inane.

could be sharkbait.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

The color that gets subsidies but hate-hate-hates goddam niggers on welfare?

Doesn't it get hard to read your monitor with that much spittle on it?

Maybe you should consider moving to a nice, safe (D) district. Broward County, FL comes to mind. I hear they can use some help in ballot design.

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, your ilk spent 8 years calling anyone who disagreed with Obama "racist". But feel free to run to that defense after showing your true colors.

5 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Aww, poor jiblet is bothered by someone responding in a forum again. Not much to add about how all the needed votes will be "found"?

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

could be sharkbait.

Could be senility.

Aided by eating lead paint chips as a child. (A tribute to SJB).

8 hours ago, bpm57 said:

Doesn't it get hard to read your monitor with that much spittle on it?

Maybe you should consider moving to a nice, safe (D) district. Broward County, FL comes to mind. I hear they can use some help in ballot design.

Well, your ilk spent 8 years calling anyone who disagreed with Obama "racist". But feel free to run to that defense after showing your true colors.

Aww, poor jiblet is bothered by someone responding in a forum again. Not much to add about how all the needed votes will be "found"?

I bet my tax cut is bigger than yours

And try reading content. It's the message, not the messenger

-DSK

19 hours ago, Raz'r said:

why bother with Democracy. Just let Trump take on Prez-for-life and hand out all offices to his minions. All hail Ivanka, Queen-in-Waiting

Ahhh do you know that BOTH supervisors of elections are Dems?

also bo5h are elected officers so you get party hacks vs competent managers

12 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

The word is "bye." And as my mother used to say: " the door opens two ways. Don't let it hit you in the ass in the way out."

Ciao baby.  Don't think it has been real; it hasn't.

that stupid terd isn't going anywhere......unfortunately ......

13 minutes ago, Snore said:

Ahhh do you know that BOTH supervisors of elections are Dems?

also bo5h are elected officers so you get party hacks vs competent managers

I hope that the supervisors of elections are fair and determined to count votes accurately.

If there is reason to suspect election fraud, then the evidence (or at least SOME evidence) needs to be brought out along with the accusation

Republicans have screamed about voter fraud so loudly and so often that it's getting ridiculous. Scott seems to have a margin that will most likely last thru recounts, and he is right to be concerned about transparency (as I have heard it, that is the basis of his suit); but not wanting to count the votes is wrong.

-DSK

42 minutes ago, dacapo said:

that stupid terd isn't going anywhere......unfortunately ......

One can always hope

20 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I hope that the supervisors of elections are fair and determined to count votes accurately.

If there is reason to suspect election fraud, then the evidence (or at least SOME evidence) needs to be brought out along with the accusation

Republicans have screamed about voter fraud so loudly and so often that it's getting ridiculous. Scott seems to have a margin that will most likely last thru recounts, and he is right to be concerned about transparency (as I have heard it, that is the basis of his suit); but not wanting to count the votes is wrong.

-DSK

As  a former election judge I can tell you of at least two things that happen at every single polling place.

We have very clear rules for marking ballots.  They are written on the ballot and the ovals to be filled are pointed out to you as you receive your ballot.  You are also told to come get another ballot if you make a mistake.

Even then, you find people who fill in the wrong space, mark an X or scribble through it and mark the other spot.  So, if it gets to a manual count both ovals are filled in correctly and you have to decide if the X is a vote or a cross out.  The rules say it is a spoiled ballot for that position and not counted.  But, somehow, during Bush-Gore it was decided that the folks doing the count could decide 'voter intent' by reading their mind a couple days after the election.

Provisional ballots are another thing.  Someone shows up at the poll and tries to vote.  The register says they are in a different precinct (the lines change from time to time) and they are told where they are supposed to vote.  They adamantly insist that 'I have always voted here' even after having the change explained.  So, they are given a provisional ballot which is placed in a special envelope and kept seperately.  It is not counted at that precinct.  The person leaves, checks and discovers that, indeed, they were at the wrong precinct.  So, they go to their correct polling place and cast another ballot. 

41 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

We have 67 countiies in Florida.  Lots of them rural with fair distances between the courthouse and the precincts.  Every election every one of them manages to get their votes counted before Broward even though Broward has invested in the most up to date voting machines you can get and spends more after every election fuckup.  There aren't likely more than 3000 voters in the green part of the county.

broward.gif

9 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

As  a former election judge I can tell you of at least two things that happen at every single polling place.

We have very clear rules for marking ballots.  They are written on the ballot and the ovals to be filled are pointed out to you as you receive your ballot.  You are also told to come get another ballot if you make a mistake.

Even then, you find people who fill in the wrong space, mark an X or scribble through it and mark the other spot.  So, if it gets to a manual count both ovals are filled in correctly and you have to decide if the X is a vote or a cross out.  The rules say it is a spoiled ballot for that position and not counted.  But, somehow, during Bush-Gore it was decided that the folks doing the count could decide 'voter intent' by reading their mind a couple days after the election.

Provisional ballots are another thing.  Someone shows up at the poll and tries to vote.  The register says they are in a different precinct (the lines change from time to time) and they are told where they are supposed to vote.  They adamantly insist that 'I have always voted here' even after having the change explained.  So, they are given a provisional ballot which is placed in a special envelope and kept seperately.  It is not counted at that precinct.  The person leaves, checks and discovers that, indeed, they were at the wrong precinct.  So, they go to their correct polling place and cast another ballot. 

we can vote in any "precinct" why can't you guys?

10 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Because we are the United States and we are exceptional.

13 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

....they are told where they are supposed to vote.  They adamantly insist that 'I have always voted here' even after having the change explained.  So, they are given a provisional ballot which is placed in a special envelope and kept seperately.  It is not counted at that precinct.  The person leaves, checks and discovers that, indeed, they were at the wrong precinct.  So, they go to their correct polling place and cast another ballot. 

Do these people check, find and cast their vote at the correct place after having apparently cast their ballot at the booth they have "always" voted at? Don't they go away thinking they have done their civic duty? What happens to the provisional votes, how do you figure out which to count and who has gone and voted again in the correct place? 

2 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Because we are the United States and we are exceptional.

so what happens if you're called away suddenly and cant get to you precinct?

Just now, Saorsa said:

In FL we have early voting by county.

Ours ran from Oct 22 to Nov 4.

no I don't mean that, I mean if there's some emergency on the day and you cant get to your usual precinct because your across the state or something...do you lose your vote?

28 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Different rules for different countries.

One reason is that we often have local races and referendums run at the same time as national elections.

For example, our ballot included the city council, county offices and a number of ballot referendums such as an increase in school taxes which were not relevant to other locations.

Just now, Shortforbob said:

no I don't mean that, I mean if there's some emergency on the day and you cant get to your usual precinct because your across the state or something...do you lose your vote?

I guess you would.  You could stop anywhere and cast a provisional ballot.