Sign in to follow this  
Grejhojta

Bushing to roller bearing

Hi,

I am thinking to change bushings to roller bearings this winter to gain rudder feel.

The boat is a Sun Fast 32i with tiller. I have some ideas, but have never done such a job and  am a little worry to get stuck in the process!

Anyone who has done it and can help out? Perhaps pictures?

Thanks

Take her to a yard that has done that job before. A yard with all the skills: including machining parts. It can be complicated. Expect some fussy trimming and custom bushings. Ordering the correct parts is critical....after disassembly and careful measuring.

That said, I wouldn't think such a boat would need roller bearings. Maybe there is something wrong with your bushings?

1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

Take her to a yard that has done that job before. A yard with all the skills: including machining parts. It can be complicated. Expect some fussy trimming and custom bushings. Ordering the correct parts is critical....after disassembly and careful measuring.

That said, I wouldn't think such a boat would need roller bearings. Maybe there is something wrong with your bushings?

Thanks for the suggestion... the yard where the boat is stored for the winter did not want to give me an accurate price offer, but they told me to expect something around 5000€, considering that parts shouldn't cost more than 500€, I see this cost a little too high :).

By the way, why do you think that roller bearing shouldn't be needed? 

1 hour ago, ctutmark said:

Yeah, looking at their guidelines it sounds like a piece of cake, however I suspect a lot of trouble, more so that I am not free to take off the rudder whenever I like, but I need to ask a favour at the yard, which is not so keen on helping

Yes that is a high price. Mine changeover was quite complex, the labor was about US$2000. Glasswork, machining the sleeves to fit, some plastic spacers.

Seems to me that smaller boats probably don't need roller bearings. But would make it more fun. Might just be some bushing problem. Your choice.

On 11/9/2018 at 5:52 PM, Grejhojta said:

Thanks for the suggestion... the yard where the boat is stored for the winter did not want to give me an accurate price offer, but they told me to expect something around 5000€, considering that parts shouldn't cost more than 500€, I see this cost a little too high :).

By the way, why do you think that roller bearing shouldn't be needed? 

Yeah, looking at their guidelines it sounds like a piece of cake, however I suspect a lot of trouble, more so that I am not free to take off the rudder whenever I like, but I need to ask a favour at the yard, which is not so keen on helping

The Jefa kit is made for DIY. You can probably find video clips on Youtube on how to do it. The Swedish importer, Båtsystem in GBG, is sloooooow. If you intend to go that route investigate now, not in the spring. 

Asking the yard a favour? To lift the boat in order to drop the rudder? What kind of ground is the boat on?  I have dropped my rudder twice, without asking anybody. Involved digging, myself, by hand. Not fun in the spring when the soil was frozen. Plan now. It may be difficult to dig due to pavement etc. :( 

Jefa bearings are very good, no question. But do you really need that on a 32 ft boat? In some cases yes, as the shaft may be a bit thin and then bend when sailing. Or, which is very usual, the bush bearings has absorbed some water and has increased in size in that process. In this latter case, consider just swapping the bush bearings, easy to get new. Also for this you have to drop the rudder ... 

Generally: you must plan ahead. Things take time, much more than you would think!

//J