Sign in to follow this  
Grande Mastere Dreade

sourcing long brass bolts

Recommended Posts

i've been trying to source some long brass bolts  flat head or oval head    around 12" in length or more..    1/4"-20 or such ..   i've searched but haven't found anything over 6"

 

mcmaster carr has nothing ...   any ideas?       I can't use threaded rod as the bolts will pass thru a 1" brass rod as the attachment point..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe search for BRONZE instead. A brass bolt is about as useful as a plastic bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Boracho said:

Maybe search for BRONZE instead. A brass bolt is about as useful as a plastic bolt.

 

yes thank you...  and it's probably   5/16-18   not 1/4 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where you're located but I get bronze fasteners from K2 Fasteners in Burnaby, BC.  No account needed, just a $50 minimum purchase which is pretty easy since "5/16 flathead machine screws are about $1.00/inch.  Never needed something that long but you may get lucky as they've always had what I needed in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make your own, done it heaps but if want to buy them search for "bronze strut bolts" and make sure your wallet is nice and fat before ordering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, toad said:

Make your own, done it heaps but if want to buy them search for "bronze strut bolts" and make sure your wallet is nice and fat before ordering

 

yeah the strut bolts came up,   which led me to what I want,   slotted though,   I only need a couple ..  and they are pricey for sure..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Not sure where you're located but I get bronze fasteners from K2 Fasteners in Burnaby, BC.  No account needed, just a $50 minimum purchase which is pretty easy since "5/16 flathead machine screws are about $1.00/inch.  Never needed something that long but you may get lucky as they've always had what I needed in stock.

Sounds like you need to check out Pacific Fasteners on 1st in Burnaby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like you need to check out Pacific Fasteners on 1st in Burnaby.

Definitely not for bronze.  Or service with a smile! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get manganese bronze rod and a suitable die nut. Peen the heads and cut the slot, or get a mate with a lathe to help out. If its only a few just buy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 12:45 AM, toad said:

Get manganese bronze rod and a suitable die nut. Peen the heads and cut the slot, or get a mate with a lathe to help out. If its only a few just buy them.

thanks for the suggestion,   but I thought bronze was too brittle to pound on with a hammer and i would hate to weaken the connection because it keeps an important part of the boat on..   ( rudder to rudder shaft)   it's an old boat..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming its to an external flange then copper bolts are fine in that application but I wouldnt use one with a nut (if you do make sure its bronze) you can make a what is essentially a giant rivet and peen the heads over, much more streamlined and neater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever seen copper bolts? Maybe in electrical grounding applications. Bronze is appropriate. People suggesting he do a bit of blacksmithing when he can buy bronze bolts off the shelf....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this