Chewbacca

Stripping Paint from Hull interior

Dear all,

i just spent a day trying to get rid of paint of GRP in the focsle. 

the idea is to prepare the base for new inaulation and some lamination and i have tried with both orbital sander with 40grit paper and angle grinder with sanding disk...

is there a safer, quicker method? what about water based paint strippers? will they attack the grp?

any auggestion is most welcome!

thank you in advance!

Maybe a cheapo (Harborfreight.com) bead blaster. It seems like an uneven surface and any chemical that would remove the paint seems likely to remove the hull.

if you're doing another lamination, you need to rough it up to at least 80 grit anyway.

You can get GRP-safe strippers. I have used citrus stripper with success.

This one apparently works well.

ready-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-clean

For gluing on insulation, if the paint is well stuck on, why remove it?

For new laminations, if done for strength reason, sand off with 80 grit paper (that's a N.American 80; no idea of grit in the UK).

Be very careful if using powerful paint-strippers in a poorly-vented area.  A friend of mine suffered multiple heart-failures on the way to hospital after doing just that.  He had access to some evil stuff from work.

For grinding work inside a boat, I use a plug-in speed reducer to reduce the amount of dust that gets flung around.

1 hour ago, harrygee said:

Be very careful if using powerful paint-strippers in a poorly-vented area.  A friend of mine suffered multiple heart-failures on the way to hospital after doing just that.  He had access to some evil stuff from work.

For grinding work inside a boat, I use a plug-in speed reducer to reduce the amount of dust that gets flung around.

Absolutely avoid anything that contains methylene chloride, unfortunately it's the stuff that works really well on paint. It eats GRP and you.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Dear all,

i just spent a day trying to get rid of paint of GRP in the focsle. 

the idea is to prepare the base for new inaulation and some lamination and i have tried with both orbital sander with 40grit paper and angle grinder with sanding disk...

is there a safer, quicker method? what about water based paint strippers? will they attack the grp?

any auggestion is most welcome!

thank you in advance!

Angle grinder, 36 grit Cubitron II disk(not 40 grit aluminium oxide) a dust shroud if you can afford it.  Buzz it down.  Should take a day.   A shitty day but still. 

10 hours ago, jgbrown said:

Angle grinder, 36 grit Cubitron II disk(not 40 grit aluminium oxide) a dust shroud if you can afford it.  Buzz it down.  Should take a day.   A shitty day but still. 

and a full tyvex suit and full face respirator

On 11/12/2018 at 10:21 PM, harrygee said:

get a shop vac w/good filter and hook to the dust outlet on your sander...preferably a sander that has perforated disks.   

On 11/13/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ishmael said:

You can get GRP-safe strippers. I have used citrus stripper with success.

This one apparently works well.

ready-strip-paint-thinner-solvents-clean

This..it works faster and penetrates deeper if you spray and cover with plastic film and leave it for 15 minutes.

Depends on what paint is on it but we've had good results on occasion with a very stiff wire cup brush on either a 4" or full size grinder/polisher.  Can be very quick, controllable, and less Dusty.  Personally love the 4" for tight spaces and control.