Bristol-Cruiser

Ancestry DNA

OK, you have seen the ads, you send in some spit (and a bunch of money) and they tell you that you are 21% Mayan and 13% Egyptian - anyway, something exotic. This knowledge will change your life, of course. I thought, maybe I should give it a try. Mom was from southern England and Dad was from Scotland but there was a family story about some Spanish blood somewhere. With a tan I get really dark, in Dominica I was once taken for black by a local police officer - 'You're white man!' was the quote, so it seemed there was room for the exotic. Anyway I thought it was worth a try. I got the results back and it turns out I am 55% English/Welsh/northern Europe with a regional focus on Dorset/Devon on the south coast of England - and 45% Scottish/Irish, apparently some English found their way north at some point. About as plain vanilla as possible - do I get at least a partial refund?

Did one also. The 23 and me. Says it goes back about 500 years. Seemed accurate from family history. 

So Carthage ancestor who ended up attacking Rome and aired kids who occupied England may not show up

1 minute ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hey no problem having your dna on file for an led to access...    or you may find out you mom banged the busboy in the back of the India Palace restaurant..

No class there huh dude?

My brother did this and came out just as we expected... I am a Mick/Kraut mutt.... but then what mutt doesn't have a little German Shepherd in them?

My step-daughter-in-law in law is getting her's done. It is a bet with a co-worker. She is saying that she will be 100% Chinese because no one in her family before her ever travelled further from the ancestral village than Shanghai which is about 80 miles away. The co-worker will pay for the test if she is 100%. He says no one is 100% anything. I think he will be wrong, although there could be some Manchu or Mongol blood in there too.

Mine from Ancestry reflected what I knew (English, Nothern France, Dutch) and did not show the Native American 1/8 that my paternal aunt swore was part of the family history (somehow, I was not surprised). What did surprise me is the lack of African input given multiple blood subtypes I have that are very rare in European people but common in Sub-Saharan Africans. 

You are also now a member of the LDS church.

Congrats !

• Like 2

I wouldn't sign up for Facebook either, so...... Nope, not going there. I'm happy knowing what I am.

Enough agencies probably have my DNA already. I’m not shippping more of it off to some company.

• Like 1

Turns out my. Irish grandmothers' forbearers found Cork County Ireland to to be an ideal stopping place in their travels from Norway through  Scotland.My grandfathers forebearers ended their travels in Germany from Turkey  through Greece.

2 hours ago, Gnarly said:

Congrats !

Yep!...and tell those cunts not to try baptising me after I'm dead...

www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/02/14/146854645/mormon-baptism-of-wiesenthal-kin-sparks-jewish-outrage

5 hours ago, burndoc said:

Did one also. The 23 and me. Says it goes back about 500 years. Seemed accurate from family history. 

So Carthage ancestor who ended up attacking Rome and aired kids who occupied England may not show up

Interestingly, the chiefly Welsh/English on mine had a good mix from Scandinavia and today's northern Germany - from which I'm led to understand much of the island was origionally populated anyway. So whether the non-island parts are ancient or "recent", the mix is roughly consistent with verbal family lore about Welsh/English/German/Dutch origins.

The wide swath of blood from the northern Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, maybe western Spain) was a mystery until it dawned upon me: the Roman occupation.  People impressed into Rome's service from that region would have gone wherever they were shoved, of course, whereas raping and pillaging has consequences. Heck, maybe a few soldiers stayed for long enough to regularly saddle a breeding-wench or two without a blade at their throats.

16 hours ago, atoyot said:

Interestingly, the chiefly Welsh/English on mine had a good mix from Scandinavia and today's northern Germany - from which I'm led to understand much of the island was origionally populated anyway. So whether the non-island parts are ancient or "recent", the mix is roughly consistent with verbal family lore about Welsh/English/German/Dutch origins.

The wide swath of blood from the northern Mediterranean (Italy, Greece, maybe western Spain) was a mystery until it dawned upon me: the Roman occupation.  People impressed into Rome's service from that region would have gone wherever they were shoved, of course, whereas raping and pillaging has consequences. Heck, maybe a few soldiers stayed for long enough to regularly saddle a breeding-wench or two without a blade at their throats.

or maybe the soldiers well payed and quite fit, made attractive mates

Hey, for $25 I will tell you what your ancestry is - just let me know what you want to be. If you fail to pay it will be a son of a bitch.

And meanwhile, everyone that I know who has shucked out the hundred bucks seems to be related to each other. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, nacradriver said:

No class there huh dude?

sorry, must be a sensitive subject for you

under the pseudonym George Doe, one 23andMe user described such an experience. His decision to test himself and his parents began as a demonstration for a class he was teaching on genetics. He figured getting some information on what kind of cancers he might be prone to would be an added bonus. Instead, he ended up finding a half-brother, a son of his father's that his family didn't know about.  George reached out to his newly discovered half-brother, Thomas, and found out he was adopted at birth and had spent years looking for his birth parents. But the news of Thomas wasn't welcome information for the rest of George's family. It unearthed a lot of deep-seated family pain, led to his parents' divorce, and initiated some truly agonizing family upheaval. "I'm really devastated at the outcome,"

It's just weird how willingly people are to give up information.

Alexa's listening in, your cell phones watching everything you do with it online, you have to put tape over your computers camera lens....

I grew up in an era where you didn't trust the government which is now expanded into no trust in corporations.

I'm fine myself with being on the outside.

(And no I have not placed my tinfoil hat on yet!)

• Like 5

On 11/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

OK, you have seen the ads, you send in some spit (and a bunch of money) and they tell you that you are 21% Mayan and 13% Egyptian - anyway, something exotic. This knowledge will change your life, of course. I thought, maybe I should give it a try. Mom was from southern England and Dad was from Scotland but there was a family story about some Spanish blood somewhere. With a tan I get really dark, in Dominica I was once taken for black by a local police officer - 'You're white man!' was the quote, so it seemed there was room for the exotic. Anyway I thought it was worth a try. I got the results back and it turns out I am 55% English/Welsh/northern Europe with a regional focus on Dorset/Devon on the south coast of England - and 45% Scottish/Irish, apparently some English found their way north at some point. About as plain vanilla as possible - do I get at least a partial refund?

The best part about doing ancestry.com is that now the mormons who own it have your info and will convert you...you've been saved!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 5:10 PM, Gnarly said:

Congrats !

Whoops...you beat me to it

7 hours ago, hobot said:

Alexa's listening in, your cell phones watching everything you do with it online, you have to put tape over your computers camera lens....

I grew up in an era where you didn't trust the government which is now expanded into no trust in corporations.

Our visa's here require fingerprints recorded on arrival. Retinal scan. X-Ray for TB, and blood tests every two years for HIV and Hepatitis..

Have yet to meet my clone in the street, though!

12 hours ago, hobot said:

While working at a software company in the 1990's, during a meeting, one of the managers stated that someday, when a person was walking by a pizza joint, they would get an ad on their phone from that place. Everyone else at the meeting was horrified at the thought of being tracked like that.

Today the younger generation would be pissed if they didn't get a discount text or notice for the pizza.

23 and Me openly admits that they will be monetizing the information they get from people who are PAYING THEM to extract their DNA information.

Must be nice to make money two ways.

14 minutes ago, hobot said:

23 and Me openly admits that they will be monetizing the information they get from people who are PAYING THEM to extract their DNA information.

Must be nice to make money two ways.

OMG you mean they're tracking us like every other corporation?   

. Government of the people, corporations, by the people corporations: for the people corporations, shall not perish from the Earth.

Cousins and I had a Grandmother who was probably 100% Swedish, which would make us all 25%.  She was surprised be twice that per-cent Scandanavian.  But, when you think of all Vikings raiding all over Europe, and spreading their seed, that other European ancestry was somewhat affected also!! We haven't done ours yet, but our daughter is half Slavic, which both my wifes parents were 100%, and her dog is mostly Australian Kelpie, a long lived sheep herding animal, that herded the sheep by jumping on their backs and steering them from there.  Shadow is 107 in people years..

I think it is good thing that the LDS folks spend so much time figuring out ancestries so they baptize dead people. Takes away from their ability to take over the government - beyond Utah of course.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:07 PM, hobot said:

F76EDE13-90BD-4DB2-958A-E9890811FA25.jpeg

On 11/16/2018 at 4:24 AM, chinabald said:

F76EDE13-90BD-4DB2-958A-E9890811FA25.jpeg

That made me LOL so hard I woke up my wife. She hates you now.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:04 AM, Derek Grebe said:

Our visa's here require fingerprints recorded on arrival. Retinal scan. X-Ray for TB, and blood tests every two years for HIV and Hepatitis..

Have yet to meet my clone in the street, though!

What makes you think you're not the clone???

On 11/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, billy backstay said:

Cousins and I had a Grandmother who was probably 100% Swedish, which would make us all 25%.  She was surprised be twice that per-cent Scandanavian.  But, when you think of all Vikings raiding all over Europe, and spreading their seed, that other European ancestry was somewhat affected also!! We haven't done ours yet, but our daughter is half Slavic, which both my wifes parents were 100%, and her dog is mostly Australian Kelpie, a long lived sheep herding animal, that herded the sheep by jumping on their backs and steering them from there.  Shadow is 107 in people years..

That's not how it works....

On 11/12/2018 at 4:44 PM, nacradriver said:

No class there huh dude?

My brother did this and came out just as we expected... I am a Mick/Kraut mutt.... but then what mutt doesn't have a little German Shepherd in them?

So, were your brother and you the same?

I have not done any of the commercial DNA tests, but I know several pairs (and one trio) of siblings who had their ancestry come back as substantially different. Seems to be lacking somewhere.... of course there's given odds that any given set of siblings will have one out of the mix that is the secret result of infidelity, but all of them?

Anyway, color me sceptical. For now, anyway

-DSK

46 minutes ago, Mckarma said:

That's not how it works....

What am I missing? If my mother’s mother is 10O% Swedish that makes my mother 50% and me 25% so therefore my 100% Swedish grandmother makes me 25%. 

Where is that wrong? 

I think the entire industry is built on the human need to "affiliate". The advertisements on the TV go something like "I found out that my ancestor was a courageous warrior princess from western Africa. That explains why I am so courageous (when in reality she is simply difficult to get along with)."

I don't find anything wrong with the human need to affiliate, in fact the whole ancestry question strikes a basic curiosity chord for me as well. If I were not dissuaded from giving my DNA to some giant DNA database and paying for that privilege, I very likely would succumb to the curiosity as well. I fulfill my need to affiliate in different places than my ancestry. I just find it humorous how the process is marketed.

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I have not done any of the commercial DNA tests, but I know several pairs (and one trio) of siblings who had their ancestry come back as substantially different. Seems to be lacking somewhere.... of course there's given odds that any given set of siblings will have one out of the mix that is the secret result of infidelity, but all of them?

y

-DSK

On 11/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, d'ranger said:

Hey, for $25 I will tell you what your ancestry is - just let me know what you want to be. If you fail to pay it will be a son of a bitch.

And meanwhile, everyone that I know who has shucked out the hundred bucks seems to be related to each other. 

That's why I won't take it, hate to confirm suspicions. 

6 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, were your brother and you the same?

-DSK

Given that I've been involved in newborn screening software development (and therefore spent a lot of time in the labs and with researchers) for over 25 years, allow me to say that I don't find that in the least surprising.

Up until DNA testing it was a wise/brave man who could assert with confidence that he knew who his father was.

For genealogy it's only worth tracing the maternal line.

FKT

14 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:
7 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Given that I've been involved in newborn screening software development (and therefore spent a lot of time in the labs and with researchers) for over 25 years, allow me to say that I don't find that in the least surprising.

Up until DNA testing it was a wise/brave man who could assert with confidence that he knew who his father was.

For genealogy it's only worth tracing the maternal line.

I think DNA testing is pretty good. If you have two samples from two people, their genetic relationship can definitely be established. It's the ethno-geographic data that isn't worth much now, and may never be. Probably the best way would be to go thru all the graveyards mining for assayable DNA; this would seem to give both a geographic and time data point.

-DSK

I attended a lecture about DNA research and DNA testing, and a question came up about the security of that information.

She said to get your health and life insurance in place before you begin any testing.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I think DNA testing is pretty good. If you have two samples from two people, their genetic relationship can definitely be established. It's the ethno-geographic data that isn't worth much now, and may never be. Probably the best way would be to go thru all the graveyards mining for assayable DNA; this would seem to give both a geographic and time data point.

-DSK

This

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Oh I agree with you on the value of the geographic stuff.

Be interesting to do the historic assays but there's a permissions problem there. What right to the DNA information do you have? If it was in completely anonymised form, maybe, but if you stuck it in a database with the name, sex, DOB and DOD of the person, I'd have a severe problem with that.

I've spent a lot of my working life designing/building databases for various purposes including genetic. Australia is bringing in an electronic E-Health system. I've opted out of it. Nor would I willingly allow a DNA sample to be collected & uploaded into any system, anywhere. On this one I have a double-layer, extra strength tinfoil beanie.....

FKT

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

or maybe the soldiers well payed and quite fit, made attractive mates

See: "....without a blade at their throats."

21 hours ago, chinabald said:

What am I missing? If my mother’s mother is 10O% Swedish that makes my mother 50% and me 25% so therefore my 100% Swedish grandmother makes me 25%. 

Where is that wrong? 

Yeah, same question????

On 11/18/2018 at 10:31 AM, chinabald said:

Where is that wrong? 

If your mom is 50% Irish and 50% Swedish, you may only get the Swedish genes and you’ll be 50% Swedish.  Not likely, but this does give you the idea on how it works.

Friend who is a retired State Trooper, who used to work with noted Dr. Henry Lee, told me that he would never, ever, willingly give his DNA up to anyone!  

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

Friend who is a retired State Trooper, who used to work with noted Dr. Henry Lee, told me that he would never, ever, willingly give his DNA up to anyone!  

this

IDK.   I have nothing to hide and last I checked my tin foil hat is in good condition because I don’t wear it.

18 minutes ago, Mckarma said:

IDK.   I have nothing to hide and last I checked my tin foil hat is in good condition because I don’t wear it.

Oh heck....I totally have nothing to hide...other than some flirting with Mrs PB and disgust over the state of our nations politics, there isn’t a lot to discover about me.....in fact I am someone who isn’t all that worked up about the “government” eavesdropping on my phone or email. However, I judge that my DNA can lead to so many misuses of that data including erroneous “identifications” and medical information such that I think it wise to be much more circumspect about sharing that than some phone call. 

Getting ready to get the kit and then have my brother and sister each do a swab during the holidays.

When the results come back to me, I am going to recreate the sheet on my computer and color printer.

In the results, my brother will have the same parents as myself.

For my sister, I am going to make some shit up basically saying that she is from 2 hillbillies in the Ozarks with such poor linage they cannot track it and saying they never have seen such a strange set of chromosomes in all their years.

Payback time for dropping me on my head as a baby...   ;<)

6 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Getting ready to get the kit and then have my brother and sister each do a swab during the holidays.

When the results come back to me, I am going to recreate the sheet on my computer and color printer.

In the results, my brother will have the same parents as myself.

For my sister, I am going to make some shit up basically saying that she is from 2 hillbillies in the Ozarks with such poor linage they cannot track it and saying they never have seen such a strange set of chromosomes in all their years.

Payback time for dropping me on my head as a baby...   ;<)

:lol:

Why pay them any $$$at all, when they sell your DNA footprint for way more?

22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

thus the avatar name?

Actually it is my racing style, but you may be onto something....

What’s the fascination with this? I can see if you are adopted and curious about where you come from. But if you know where your family originated what does knowing the exact percentage do for you? Or finding out you are 1/1024th Italian or Cherokee that you didn’t know about. How does this improve your life? 

• Like 1

Well my daughter just got her results and it confirms that she's from the far East of Russia / the Korean peninsula / Mongolia / a chunk of China.

She was born in Vladivostok and it was a safe assumption that's what the results would be prior to sending the test kit off.

I'm hoping that this knowledge will help her in some way.

I did it, and I found out I am 24% Italian, 13% South American, 11% Northern Hemispherican, 71% Antarctican, 9% Equidorian and 100% ripped off.

Plus 93% committed to run for political office.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:50 AM, chinabald said:

What’s the fascination with this? I can see if you are adopted and curious about where you come from. But if you know where your family originated what does knowing the exact percentage do for you? Or finding out you are 1/1024th Italian or Cherokee that you didn’t know about. How does this improve your life? 

I did the test and found out that I have a half brother that my mother had been hiding news of for almost 60 years.    That was big.

1 hour ago, DickDastardly said:

I did the test and found out that I have a half brother that my mother had been hiding news of for almost 60 years.    That was big.

So, was that good news, or bad for you?  I kind of agree with Chinabald, what's the big attraction?  And like I said earlier my friend, the retired State Trooper, was advised by Dr. Henry Lee, to never voluntarily give up his DNA....

18 minutes ago, tybee said:

how would you taking the test show you had a half brother?

I have no idea how I would react, other than stunned!

32 minutes ago, tybee said:

If the brother had already done his research with the same service, the info would pop up for Mr. Backstay and any other blood that used the service also.

7 hours ago, tybee said:

When you take one of these tests there are check boxes to tick that allow you to be visible to others who have taken the test, both my half bro and I had that ticked.

The results that come back from Ancestry give you both your genetic makeup and a list of other individuals (subject to their opting in) that you are genetically related to, based on DNA matching.  My results came back with (anonymous) links to about 200 people who are all cousins to varying degrees - third cousin out to about 8th in my case.  And one standout result, who came back listed as a first cousin.  Turns out that the amount of DNA shared between half siblings and first cousins is the same.

7 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I have no idea how I would react, other than stunned!

More than one holy shit moment ensued.  This all happened in the last two weeks BTW so it's fresh news.  My new bro and I are at opposite ends of the planet but we'll meet up before too long.  I friended him on Facebook though, seemed like the right thing to do.

7 hours ago, hobot said:

If the brother had already done his research with the same service, the info would pop up for Mr. Backstay and any other blood that used the service also.

Correct

DD, that's certainly one of the surprises a few people get. Other obvious ones are that your father is not your biological father. At least at 23&me you have to check a box acknowledging that you might find out something like this which you cannot "unlearn'. As a geneticist, this is something I did way back when it started, and now plan to have my entire genome sequenced, not just genotyped. Unlike some here, I'm not paranoid about it and appreciate the information, not so much about the ancestry which simply confirmed my detailed family tree, but about variants that either predispose me to medical conditions, or would affect how medications work for me.

On December 15, 2018 at 5:33 AM, DickDastardly said:

How much money does he want to borrow?  

8 hours ago, TheDragon said:

DD, that's certainly one of the surprises a few people get. Other obvious ones are that your father is not your biological father. At least at 23&me you have to check a box acknowledging that you might find out something like this which you cannot "unlearn'. As a geneticist, this is something I did way back when it started, and now plan to have my entire genome sequenced, not just genotyped. Unlike some here, I'm not paranoid about it and appreciate the information, not so much about the ancestry which simply confirmed my detailed family tree, but about variants that either predispose me to medical conditions, or would affect how medications work for me.

Indeed but of course if you know you are genetically predisposed to any particular mortailty risks I'd assume you then have a duty to disclose that to health and life insurers... slippery slope methinks.  I prefer staying ignorant on that particular dimension.

My Dad did a good job tracking his family history for quite a long way on his side of the family, it is extremely English but my mothers family is a different story.

Apparently my maternal Grandmother had fling with an American airman right after WW2. Hence my mother. Apparently everyone was too english to get a name out of my Grandmother before she died so now we have no clue who my Grandfather is. Glad to say that my Step Grandfather was a great man who was kind to my mother and uncle and I loved very much. 

DNA service would likely uncover where my brown skin (and my mother and sisters brown skin if they ever went outdoors) comes from considering my dads side is very white and my maternal Grandmother was very white.

Got to love a good family cover up!!

9 minutes ago, Soley said:

Got to love a good family cover up!!

Much to our collective surprise we had one of those family coverups! Maternal grandfather immigrates to US and much younger (teenager) bride to be stays in Sweden till he is established and can afford to send for her and support her. As we grew up we knew a woman in Sweden to be her much younger “sister” who was known as an aunt to my mother and her sisters their entire upbringing. Not until grandpa had passed on did grandma reveal that “Aunt Inga” was actually grandmas daughter conceived out of wedlock as a teenager and subsequently raised as a “little sister” by my maternal great grandparents. Suddenly in their 60’s they all discovered that “Aunt Inga” was actually a half sister. Those Swedes...........

After much research, I discovered that grandfather deserted from the Russian army in Finland in 1898 (probably a good idea) changed his name and did not want his history known.  He made it to England, then to Australia, where he fought in the Boar War in Southern Africa, before making it back to Australia, then San Francisco, and on the Alaska where he lived out his life.

Several years ago, I did the Ancestry DNA study and found that I was 26% Finnish/NE Russian, 16% Scandinavian, 8% Eastern European, and 50% UK. I had expected a bit of Mongolian DNA?

A few months ago they updated my results and I am now 38% Finnish, 26% Swedish, 2% Norwegian, and 34% UK.  So the Vikings did make it to the UK

9 minutes ago, view at the front said:

A few months ago they updated my results and I am now 38% Finnish, 26% Swedish, 2% Norwegian, and 34% UK.  So the Vikings did make it to the UK

Your ancestry changed? 

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Your ancestry changed? 

Apparently they have refined their analysis?  I was surprised with the unsolicited update, and there was no request for more $$$.

• Like 1

Don't get the test if you don't really want to know.

in a nutshell... she's not from ghana, or nigera.   fast forward to 5 minutes... for the money shot...

6 minutes.  "are they trying to tell me I'm white..."  LOL

Maybe these tests are not as scientific as they would like us to believe

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/18/dna_twins_gene_tests/

there is still hope I am the sole survivor to some really rich SOB.

Hey  stop laughing, it could happen...

Hey boys and girls

Do a DNA test and not only do you get the results, so does the government.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-01/one-biggest-home-dna-testing-companies-secretly-sharing-data-fbi

well isn't that just peachy....

41 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Hey boys and girls

Do a DNA test and not only do you get the results, so does the government.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-01/one-biggest-home-dna-testing-companies-secretly-sharing-data-fbi

well isn't that just peachy....

Well duhhh..  They caught that golden state killer after 40 years because some monkey on his side of the family took the test...    In this day and age, if you think that all your shit is not out there somewhere already you are incredibly naive.  Best you can do is protect what you can by putting freezes on your family's credit (its free, you don't have to pay for the privilege), follow up on any anomalies that come up on your credit report (pulled by yourself at least twice yearly) and stay on top of your bank accounts, reporting any weird shit to your bank.   If you find something close your cc transfer the balance and get a new one.   It's the people that are not involved with their own global identity that get fucked in the end...  

He was living in the same frigging house blocks away from a couple of his victims back in the day...  FREAKY!!!!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/25/golden-state-killer-joseph-james-deangelo-arrested/550544002/

On 12/19/2018 at 9:18 AM, Marcjsmith said:

in a nutshell... she's not from ghana, or nigera.   fast forward to 5 minutes... for the money shot...

she's a good example why women shouldn't take drugs while pregnant.. 

There appears to be some assumption that people from Say, Sweden would be 100% Swedish or People from England 100% English..

No one is 100% anything.

England, was owned by what is now considered the Welsh,

They were invaded by the Romans, who brought in Soldiers from all over Europe, north Africa, and the middle East.  Many settled, many did not, but there was no pill back then, they certainly left their traces,

Invaded by Angles, Saxons Jutes.

Invaded by Vikings

Invaded By Normans who were half Scandivavian and Half French with a bit of Breton..

Took in Hugunots,

Took in many West indians of African and Asian descent.

Took in Africans of Asian descent.

Scotland originally owned by what is now called the Welsh (as picts) invaded by

Romans, in the south,

The Irish Gaels in the west,

The Anglo Saxon kingdom of Northumbria reached as far Edinburgh,

The Scandanavians owned the Shetlands Orkneys and the Hebridies.

Scandinavia..

Well the Vikings  didn't just take  gold from Lindisfarne monastery, they took slaves, as the did from many places round the UK and from their slave trading base in Dublin. Those slaves didn't disappear, they bred and merged into the local population.

When they did DNA testing of villages of in Cumbria, some old families were found to be mostly descended from a welsh background, where as the next valley some were found to be mostly descended from Vikings...

Me.. I've not been tested (yet) but 50% of the 175,000 that have been tested with my family name, are descendants of a Norman, who came over with William the Bastard, and eventually ruled Scotland..

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Marcjsmith said:

And a very good reason White "white South Africa " lost it's justifcation.. when it was pointed out to most Africaans, they arrived as white men...

and are descended from Black women...

On 11/12/2018 at 3:43 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

hey no problem having your dna on file for an led to access...    or you may find out you mom banged the busboy in the back of the India Palace restaurant..

it’s come to light that FamilyTreeDNA, one of the largest private genetic testing companies, is cooperating with the FBI to give its agents access to its genealogy database.

The partnership, first reported by BuzzFeed News, marks the first known time a consumer DNA kit company has voluntarily given law enforcement access to a private database.

Don't remember where I read it, but there is a couple who discovered they were 3rd cousins, when they did their respective DNA's.  Said it explained while there was such an immediate connection, like they already knew one another, since they had fallen in love and married very quickly, and were still happily together years later.  

I think the idea that you are X% this or Y% that is a little bit of hokum (entertaining hokum, but still hokum).  

But I come from a small, highly dysfunctional family with almost no known history of some parts (my father died when I was young; his father died when he was young).  My paternal grandfather came to North America from England but beyond that not much is known (where he grew up, his parents, siblings, etc.)  

I would think that somehow somewhere there may be people related to me that know the story of that crazy great-great uncle that took off for the new world and was never heard from again.  I think finding those people would be interesting.  

41 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

That is more suited to the LONQR thread!!

My SIL gave me the test for Xmas.  The country make up was about what I expected, but the percentages much different than what I was lead to believe.  I'm 66% Islander (British Isles that is) with the mix of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Britain.  Explains the sailor in me.  Was told there was a little French, test said none.  But someone traveled, and no one knew anything about it with 1% Russia, and 2% Baltic States (Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia) the rest is all Western Europe.

I think it was cool to see.

It does list your relatives who also have taken the test with 8 listed (1st or 2nd cousins) and many more 3rd and 4th cousins who I have no idea who they are.

When I forwarded it to my Dad, I wrote, "And no surprise 1/2 brothers or sisters."  Apparently this happens some times!

2 of my cousins had it done, and they are all 1/8th African from Senegal..... Funny considering how red headed racist they have been their whole lives..... I'm guessing grandma or grandpa on one side or the other was hiding a little truth.

Lucky for me, I've been told that I'm black no matter what color my skin is, and I don't really give a fuck.