bait

RIP - Stuart Walker

Raced against him in Solings.  Wish I'd been faster. 

I  never did sort out the categories.  But I sure enjoyed reading his articles and realizing there was a positional game that I wasn't playing...or really understanding out on the water.  

Peace and clear air

54 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

I  never did sort out the categories.  But I sure enjoyed reading his articles and realizing there was a positional game that I wasn't playing...or really understanding out on the water.  

Peace and clear air

Smooth sailing Dr. Walker.   Studied his books and apppreciated the details but....then Lasers came along & got hip to Buddy Melges.  Boat speed trumps all the rest.

Persistent vs oscillating shift applies to many things and I credit him to my awareness of the concept.  Major smart dude.  Fair persistent winds!

• Like 3

Ah that is sad news.  RIP and Fair Winds Dr. Walker.  Thanks for everything you did for our sport.

Many thanks for your outstanding contributions to the sport over the past 50+ years. The insights you have provided continue to inspire our understanding of wind, tactics, and reminding us that everyone makes mistakes despite our best efforts.  May you enjoy fair winds and following seas throughout the balance of your journeys. 

Fabulous sailor and writer. While it is not everyone's cup of tea, I really enjoyed his style of writing, theory mixed with some great entertaining stories on how he beat the rest of the fleet from a position that seemed desperate. 

RIP Dr. Walker!

• Like 1

His columns in One-Design Yachtsman gave me a headache reading, but I did learn stuff, mostly oscillating versus progressive windshifts.  So it was worth it, and aspirin helped. 

A life well-lived.  Fair winds and following seas..

15 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

wowe, seariouse losse to thorecticalle saileng.

Golf clap.

A friend used to describe his columns as 'I really screwed up, and here's what I learned.  Then I did great in the next leg.'

A great gentleman, always willing to talk sailing with anyone.  Sail on...

Sorry to hear. His writing was well above my level of sailing comprehension.

Which partly explains why I suck at yacht racing!!

He wrote a piece (I believe it appeared in Sailing World years ago) about Long Island Sound weather and the mechanics of the seabreeze, landmasses of CT and LI, and how to take advantage as the day's weather progressed.

I've sailed in LI Sound all my life.  I must have read that article 30 times to try and get his theory and observations into my head.  Yet I still have a hard time figuring out what's going on when I see it happening on LI Sound.  But I think of him and his great intelligence and positive attitude.  What an amazing contribution to the sport.  RIP.

--Kevin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Movable Ballast said:

Wow! RIP Dr Walker. A manual of sail trim was one of the first sailing books I read... The Pearly Gates YC just got much stronger... Sail on. 

Ha! Pearly Gates YC!  The initiation fee is really steep, but there are no annual dues.

RIP, Dr. Walker.

I wonder how many offers to helm an American 12 metre  Dr. Walker turned down. No matter how many races guys like Dennis Conner or Bus Mosbacher won, I wonder if they ever beat Dr. Walker in a Soling.

• Like 2

Fair winds Dr. Walker. I read all of his books. Advanced Racing Tactics was the tome/bible for me. It's hard to get into from the start as it could be a hard read at times. Read it fully 3 times and the third time was highlighted in yellow like a science textbook; well, it was. But you had too IMHO. When I did understand it well enough to apply it worked very well Comfortable enough to lecture on it to help other racing sailors. Try the Walker book: "Positioning" that has most of the info without the hard read. I'm not the greatest racing sailor on the planet but I sail with them. Walker's writings is a given for them. Again - Fair winds Dr. Walker you changed my world. 

• Like 2

Fair winds dear Stuart from Italy !

We all read your books , and hope to have your enthisiasm in sailing until the end as you did !

We will miss you 

I try to imagine having another 45 years of racing. That would be sweet. 

I have a 1973 W.W. Norton and Co. printing of Wind and Strategy in hand. "The possibility of strategic gain is directly proportionate to the possibility of strategic loss... "

Time to get reading again. 

Bummer.  As a young sailor growing up in the massive Laser fleets of the 90s he taught me a ton through print.  Can only imagine what it would have been like to sail with the man.

12-15 knots of oscillating breeze good Dr.

Wow... I bought this book 20+ years ago, it sits right now here in my hotel room n Amsterdam, I take it with me when I travel because it takes me ages to fully understand each page...

RIP Mr. Walker

IMG_20181113_234647.jpg

Good guy.  Spent an evening once sharing stories with Dr. Walker....will always remember his story of honeymooning with Frances on a week's cruise in his Starboat.

."Where'd you sleep?," I asked.

"Oh, we threw a pad down on the floor of the cockpit," he nonchalantly replied.

FAIR WINDS.

• Like 1

This is eerie. On Sunday I was chatting with another Olympian, and we got on the topic of "still sailing (hard boats to sail)" and she said, ""Stuart Walker is still sailing his soling and he is, what--95?"

That was on Sunday afternoon.

I never met him but like so many thousands, read some of his books. I like reading the anecdotes above. Especially the idea of cruising a star :-)

RIP to a life very well lived.  He gave more to our sport than it could ever give him, though I am sure he would disagree (at length, in essay form).  Fair winds and following seas.  And thank you.

8 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Fair winds Dr. Walker. I read all of his books. Advanced Racing Tactics was the tome/bible for me. It's hard to get into from the start as it could be a hard read at times. Read it fully 3 times and the third time was highlighted in yellow like a science textbook; well, it was. But you had too IMHO. When I did understand it well enough to apply it worked very well Comfortable enough to lecture on it to help other racing sailors. Try the Walker book: "Positioning" that has most of the info without the hard read. I'm not the greatest racing sailor on the planet but I sail with them. Walker's writings is a given for them. Again - Fair winds Dr. Walker you changed my world. 

I learned so much from that book.  

Condolences to his family and those that knew him, I only met him once. 

Had the privilege of racing against him in Solings on the Chesapeake.  Great guy and will be missed.   (And yes, he beat me in the regatta).

Fond memories of his inspirational and educational articles in One Design Yachtsman. More importantly inspired by the vid of him still mixing it up in Solings. That's the spirit we all need as age tries to engulf us. Thanks Doc.

After reading his material over a dozen of times,...believe me it starts making sense.   :)

He has more students than he knows.  Fair winds Dr.....

My racing career has two distinct chapters, before reading "Winning" The psychology of competation by Stuart Walker and after reading it.

He was an instructor for an Offshore Sailing School's racing week in 1985. His lectures and individual critiques we're quite clear and with a booming voice. Different than his writing.

He'd tell us what the weather would be the next day on Captiva Island. Thursday was not right. "Oh, but it is,  at 3000 feet," he said. By midmorning he was correct.

Dave Ellis

19 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Wow... I bought this book 20+ years ago, it sits right now here in my hotel room n Amsterdam, I take it with me when I travel because it takes me ages to fully understand each page...

RIP Mr. Walker

IMG_20181113_234647.jpg

This along with Advanced Racing Tactics and Positioning are dear to my early understanding of what this game is really all about. See you on the other side of the bar Dr. Walker.

From the video, his wife asks, "Did you win or was it a learning experience?" That may be the best thing to have learned from reading Dr. Walker. I had already read his columns and books before ever having the had the opportunity to sail against him. That was in the 1980's at Seawanhaka's Columbus Day regatta in Solings. At the first weather mark we were ahead of him and his friend and rival Sam Merrick. My skipper was thrilled, but of course it certainly didn't end that way. He is an inspiration to anyone and everyone in Annapolis and particularly those of us of a certain age who ever start to think we may be getting too old to sail. There  was Stuart on Old Glory, in an old white button down and khakis well into his 90s. Fair winds Dr. Walker.

This is the inscription from my father inside my copy of The Techniques of Small Boat Racing.  When I finally met Dr. Walker 5 years later, I remember wishing I had my copy with me for him to sign.  

image.thumb.png.6f7612c9b4ed06523c4677978159ecc3.png

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:30 PM, Big Show said:

I try to imagine having another 45 years of racing. That would be sweet. 

I have a 1973 W.W. Norton and Co. printing of Wind and Strategy in hand. "The possibility of strategic gain is directly proportionate to the possibility of strategic loss... "

Time to get reading again. 

There's a great business book on this very problem, The Strategy Paradox, by Michael Raynor. It turns out that businesses, like sailors, can't be in two places at once  I can't tell you how many strategy notions I formed while reading Dr. Walker's books.  Although it isn't about strategy, I still refer to his book, Winning, the Psychology of Competition, all the time. 

R.I.P Dr. Walker.  Even here in the Philippines you were well read.  Thank you for all your insights 

As we say from time to time wwswd. This leads to a conversation that goes over our heads. Yet the boat goes a little faster and everyone head is in the game.  We should all live life’s so well.