Sign in to follow this  
Red Centre

Magic 25 Rig Tune

Hello!

Was hoping someone would be able to give me some tips or a document on tuning the rig of the Magic 25.

I did have a document that showed exactly how to tune the rig but can't find it online anymore! Any help would be amazing!

25 minutes ago, Pistols at Dawn said:

Hello!

Was hoping someone would be able to give me some tips or a document on tuning the rig of the Magic 25.

I did have a document that showed exactly how to tune the rig but can't find it online anymore! Any help would be amazing!

I did have it, it might be on the PC... I do know someone that does have it but that might take longer

Where in Aus are you sailing the Magic?

3 hours ago, Pistols at Dawn said:

Hello!

PM sent

2 hours ago, Rushman said:

I did have it, it might be on the PC... I do know someone that does have it but that might take longer

Where in Aus are you sailing the Magic?

10 minutes ago, Rushman said:

PM sent

Thanks so much for the file! It's exactly what I was looking for too!

Sailing it in Tassie. Its Hull 012 "Red Centre", ex SunState QLD and Lawmaster

Pistols at dawn sounds like the name of a y88 I sailed on a lot here in nz. 

Pistol dawn? 

I am curious as to the topline tuning tips in the document as I used to sail Magics quite a bit and don't remember there being much tuning involved, unless you mean for the set-up when you're putting the stick in and setting it up.

With a near useless vang and outhaul with a fixed bridle on the main you are really only left with jib cars and cunni. We fiddles with adjusting the ram when we were n light wind and/or going downwind but didn't notice enough difference to overcome the hassle of doing it whilst racing.

We found that weight distribution played a much bigger role, as did playing that big kite downwind to its max.

Cheers.

The setup in the manual is pretty basic... How to set up with enough pre bend in the telephone pole mast!

20 minutes ago, Rushman said:

The setup in the manual is pretty basic... How to set up with enough pre bend in the telephone pole mast!

Sounds about right! Bend it to just where you think it will snap, then keep going a bit more!

We smashed the tits off the Magics in big winds and all of them are still on their original spars. We went downwind in honking conditions and decided to get the kite up and were having a blast until the skippy pointed out that the tip of the mast was on the edge of inverting, the kite was pulling it so much. No idea what speeds we hit but it felt like we were doing 50 knots* and we swallowed a lot of water through our laughs and woots!

*Obviously we weren't!

23 hours ago, ynot said:

Pistols at dawn sounds like the name of a y88 I sailed on a lot here in nz. 

Pistol dawn? 

Not sure sorry! Just a random name I signed up with in 2011!

17 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

I am curious as to the topline tuning tips in the document as I used to sail Magics quite a bit and don't remember there being much tuning involved, unless you mean for the set-up when you're putting the stick in and setting it up.

With a near useless vang and outhaul with a fixed bridle on the main you are really only left with jib cars and cunni. We fiddles with adjusting the ram when we were n light wind and/or going downwind but didn't notice enough difference to overcome the hassle of doing it whilst racing.

We found that weight distribution played a much bigger role, as did playing that big kite downwind to its max.

Cheers.

I was more or less curious as to how to set the boat up. We'd pretty much bought the boat from a guy who hadn't spent much time with it and openly said he wasn't sure about how to manage the rig. I've got some experience with runners on a fractional rig and pre-bend etc... But no real idea about a backstay-less carbon rig with a ram :rolleyes:.

We more or less found the mast was too floppy and didn't work with the main and had no idea what to do with the ram... Now it looks soooooo much better and sailed really nicely the other night!

9 hours ago, Terrorvision said:

Sounds about right! Bend it to just where you think it will snap, then keep going a bit more!

We smashed the tits off the Magics in big winds and all of them are still on their original spars. We went downwind in honking conditions and decided to get the kite up and were having a blast until the skippy pointed out that the tip of the mast was on the edge of inverting, the kite was pulling it so much. No idea what speeds we hit but it felt like we were doing 50 knots* and we swallowed a lot of water through our laughs and woots!

*Obviously we weren't!

This is the original spar too. Its an awesome boat and we're having so much fun playing with it trying to get it going well. Unfortunately our fleet is a bit of a mixed bag with one division being J-24/i550 and cruising boats, the other being Adams 10/Radford 11/Farr36 etc... Just trying to find that happy medium upwind so we can keep up with the bigger boats.

Any other tips you have would be amazing. I'm looking to go to North's to see what they think regarding sail plan and what we can manage get away with. There aren't any other stock Magic's in Tassie that I know of so I want to make it as fast and easy to sail as possible.

Work the mainsheet.... Keep it flat

Pump the ram up before the start, then forget about it

3 hours ago, Red Centre said:

Not sure sorry! Just a random name I signed up with in 2011!

I was more or less curious as to how to set the boat up. We'd pretty much bought the boat from a guy who hadn't spent much time with it and openly said he wasn't sure about how to manage the rig. I've got some experience with runners on a fractional rig and pre-bend etc... But no real idea about a backstay-less carbon rig with a ram :rolleyes:.

We more or less found the mast was too floppy and didn't work with the main and had no idea what to do with the ram... Now it looks soooooo much better and sailed really nicely the other night!

This is the original spar too. Its an awesome boat and we're having so much fun playing with it trying to get it going well. Unfortunately our fleet is a bit of a mixed bag with one division being J-24/i550 and cruising boats, the other being Adams 10/Radford 11/Farr36 etc... Just trying to find that happy medium upwind so we can keep up with the bigger boats.

Any other tips you have would be amazing. I'm looking to go to North's to see what they think regarding sail plan and what we can manage get away with. There aren't any other stock Magic's in Tassie that I know of so I want to make it as fast and easy to sail as possible.

If you’re looking to replace sails then either go to Ian Short or North NZL as they race their own Magics. 

• Like 1

Matching luff curve to mast bend would be one area that the Magic logo sails didn't do very well

• Like 1