Sign in to follow this  
HILLY

Applying bow stickers.

Just found an old vid from Marmaris race week (Turkey), 2008. Its the first, & only, time I've seen this method...

Had a buddy up on the bow on his stomach spending lots of time assuring every bubble is squeezed out.  When he's done he stands up and another pal walks by and says, "They're upside down!"  Yup, they looked right side up when he was upside down.

They pretty much put them on for you now. I guy I know, at one of the NOOD regattas (remember those?) and another guy I know, spent some quality time and rum the night before re-arranging the letters to spell "Dude Great Ass" on the starboard bow. I cant My friend doesn't remember what the port side said, but it was pretty funny.

Plastic bow stickers are on the endangered species list..will be gone unless someone comes up with a  biodegradable alternative.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Plastic bow stickers are on the endangered species list..will be gone unless someone comes up with a  biodegradable alternative.

Good. I'm sick of seeing them floating around the harbor post race. And tired of cleaning off the stickum on my hull. I want the sponsors to have a place in the regatta, but bow stickers suck. I'd rather have lee cloths. 

Our method is just strip off the corners , to create four small sticky triangles, then place it. This is easy to remove, no glue everywhere and remove as one piece to put in a trash can instead of sea.

Friend won first race of 30 ft keelboat nationals at Larchmont.  Made crew weight, so they all went out to breakfast in town. No wind.  Came back to yc

All boats way out on sound. Got on boat and headed out. Turned around. Forgot bow numbers. Headed for start, bow guy installing bow numbers. Just got to rc at the gun.  Horizon job.

Rc (long time sailmaker) yells hey you did not check in, and your bow numbers are upside down. Don't worry about it,  great race.

22 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Funny you should say that...

http://www.protect-tapes.com/products/bow

As 'featured' in today's Seahorse email. Looking at that graph, I'm not sure I see much of an improvement, but I'm no expert in the matter (not that that should stop people from commenting on the internet though).

• Like 1