harryproa

Stolen Boat. Culatra, Portugal

The 20m/66' harryproa Kleen Breeze has been reported as missing from the anchorage at Culatra, South Portugal. 

A diver has recovered her anchor.    Apparently the chain had been cut.    The case has been reported to the Maritime Police.

The owner has asked me to publicise this in case the boat is seen somewhere in Portugal, Spain or Morocco?

Anyone with any information, please contact me at harryproa@gmail.com

Thanks

Rob Denney

F6.jpg

That’s a boat that’s easy to hide. Just slip it in a crowded marina with all the other boats that look just like it.

• Like 3

So it just shunted away in the dark?

I bet it will show up in the multi hull thread 

Why would you cut the anchor chain to steal a boat? Did the thief think the boat was padlocked to the bottom?

If that's that's not the most conspicuous boat to steal?  I guess the Beneteaus were in short supplying in that region?

It will blend in with all the other Harryproas in Portugal. 

That is a cool yacht if you’re going to steal a boat

3 hours ago, Training Wheels said:

Why would you cut the anchor chain to steal a boat? Did the thief think the boat was padlocked to the bottom?

Cut and run...

Wasn’t there a thread about this one a while ago? A poster went over with a view to buying it. 

1 hour ago, Plausible said:

$50 a tonne US delivered as landfill in San Diego.

Not heavy enough without the chain to be worth anything.  (It's a proa.) Thieves are usually too stupid to hold jobs. That's why they end up stealing.

4 hours ago, PaulK said:

Not heavy enough without the chain to be worth anything.  (It's a proa.) Thieves are usually too stupid to hold jobs. That's why they end up stealing.

or becoming lawyers.

Seems like this guys bought it recently and it needed quite a bit of work. I do appreciate the puns and snark above but you have to say it's an odd thing to steal. 

Are the people who buy or build multihulls all colour-blind? Or is that just a facet of multi-disestablishmentarian angst?

I thought that there were a lot of legal reasons a sell couldn't go through without a long period in which the boat was stuck in probate or something. The guy with Cat 2 Fold went over to look at it with serious intent to buy but it would be some time before the sell could become final. Who is the buyer you mention Foiling? The guy in the photo looks and sounds like the Cat 2 Fold dude. I thought that he walked away due to the legalities on when he could take full possession.

Lot of boat for 2/3's of a trimaran...

48 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I thought that there were a lot of legal reasons a sell couldn't go through without a long period in which the boat was stuck in probate or something. The guy with Cat 2 Fold went over to look at it with serious intent to buy but it would be some time before the sell could become final. Who is the buyer you mention Foiling? The guy in the photo looks and sounds like the Cat 2 Fold dude. I thought that he walked away due to the legalities on when he could take full possession.

Lot of boat for 2/3's of a trimaran...

Depends on which 2/3 you get.

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Are the people who buy or build multihulls all colour-blind? Or is that just a facet of multi-disestablishmentarian angst?

I was thinking antidisestablishmentarianism myself.

Uncle Happy taught me that one when I was 9. Then My 3rd grade nun beat me good when I spelled that one on the chalkboard on spelling day. The Principal nun came in and saw it and sent me to talk to the Monsignor for writing dirty words in a foreign language. 

Sorry about the thread drift. 

I saw a couple of videos of Harryproas Sailing and they look fast and fun. 

Wow!

this is all too odd. 

That is me I;in in video earlier this year, from when I went to check her out. And yes, due to lack of a path to a clear title, I bailed. 

Oddly, two days ago, I received an email from one of the principle investors, letting me know that she is re listed for sale, and that the title is now available. 

WTF is going on here?

• Like 1

This is turning into a true whodunnit!

I hope the boat is fine and returned, it’s one of the most unique sailing vessels out there.

Harry, you are pretty smart at design!

Not exactly to hide that away anywhere. 

9 hours ago, Solarbri said:

Wow!

this is all too odd. 

That is me I;in in video earlier this year, from when I went to check her out. And yes, due to lack of a path to a clear title, I bailed. 

Oddly, two days ago, I received an email from one of the principle investors, letting me know that she is re listed for sale, and that the title is now available. 

WTF is going on here?

No kidding. Know per chance if the boat was insured?  If I were the underwriter I’d be.... suspicious. 

Thanks Sail4Beer, look forward to taking you for a sail sometime.

Apparently the boat "broke" 2 anchor chains, drifted into another boat which then took it in tow to a marina across the border in Spain, from where it has now been returned to it's rightful owners.

On the bright side, the authorities have now cleared it for sale under it's British Registration.  $US120,000.    https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=8bd3efb7a8899110315782e1e&id=72a38a4480   I have asked them to update this to include the $200,000 inventory and some other details.   

7 minutes ago, harryproa said:

Thanks Sail4Beer, look forward to taking you for a sail sometime.

Apparently the boat "broke" 2 anchor chains, drifted into another boat which then took it in tow to a marina across the border in Spain, from where it has now been returned to it's rightful owners.

On the bright side, the authorities have now cleared it for sale under it's British Registration.  $US120,000.    https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=8bd3efb7a8899110315782e1e&id=72a38a4480   I have asked them to update this to include the $200,000 inventory and some other details.   

Delighted that it seems the other boat didn't complicate the legal situation further by claiming damages or salvage. I wonder why you put "broke" in inverted commas? You don't have to answer!

I'm not a customer, but is the price $205,000 as in the note you link to, or $120,000 as in your post? 

2 hours ago, Mr. Ed said:

Delighted that it seems the other boat didn't complicate the legal situation further by claiming damages or salvage. I wonder why you put "broke" in inverted commas? You don't have to answer!

I'm not a customer, but is the price $205,000 as in the note you link to, or $120,000 as in your post? 

"broke" because there is a little more to the story than I posted.  ;-)

Asking price is $US120,000 or best offer.    The seller is the deceased builder's family.  They know nothing about boats and care less, just want to get rid of it and get what they can.  

The $200K worth of inventory includes Zodiac Cadet 340 RIB, 48Volt 160Ah  Super B Lithium Batteries x 10, 2 x Kräutler Electric pod motor, Victron Quattro inverter                   Fischer Panda 5000i gen set, Sunpower Solar panels x 8, etc etc.             

3 hours ago, harryproa said:

"broke" because there is a little more to the story than I posted.  ;-)

Asking price is $US120,000 or best offer.    The seller is the deceased builder's family.  They know nothing about boats and care less, just want to get rid of it and get what they can.  

The $200K worth of inventory includes Zodiac Cadet 340 RIB, 48Volt 160Ah  Super B Lithium Batteries x 10, 2 x Kräutler Electric pod motor, Victron Quattro inverter                   Fischer Panda 5000i gen set, Sunpower Solar panels x 8, etc etc.             

Oh I’m sorry to know there’s a death involved. Good luck to them all. 

I'm pretty  sure $120K is less than the materials cost for the shell and rig. 

Add years of work,  nice head and galley already done, $200K inventory, and it's a dead-set bargain.

Some interior finishing, a LOT of painting to do. Definitely paint over that pus-purple exterior.

Hope it goes to a capable owner with enough budget to get it sailing. 

Ah, that’s the fatal flaw in multihulls: there’s no scrap value from lead to act as a bottom of the market. 

That yacht won’t be headed to the scrap heap anytime soon. 

I’d like to have that to cruise the East coast USA. It would be stable, fast and fun!

Of course, I have too many boats as it is, but this motivated me to sell some of them and have funds available in case...

Btw, did they ever recover Richard’s body? It’s a sad ending to what should have been a great adventure. I’m glad he got to enjoy his time on it when he could...

Glad you like the boat. 

Robin, not Richard.  As far as I know, his body has not been recovered.  What happened is still a mystery.