ASP

Boat search..

Looking for a quick Sportsboat on the US west coast for less than 18k. What's out there..? Magic 25, Thompson 650, etc...?

Not sure we want to get into a 1D class where we'll be tempted to spend more and more money to be competitive. 

Cheers

There is a nice boat in. Montana (Flathead Lake). Carbon mast from down under. Built by a craftsman. There is group of i550's in Portland and one was lurking around Ballard and the ship canal.  

IMG_0437.jpg

10407256_750611781657290_5485989486734780398_n.jpg

I was going to suggest the same boat. Kind of a no brainerB)

Melges 24 is more in the size range of the boats mentioned. Plenty of them on the left coast. A Fareast 23R recently sold out of our club. Inexpensive sportsboat, but unlikely to find one for under 18K, if one at all. J80s, while not quite sportie, are gaining traction in the PNW and can be found for under 18K.

Based on the boats you mentioned, my recommendation would look for a well used Melges 24. (A buddy of mine could be persuaded to sell his Melges 20, but probably not under 18K, at least not yet.)

You might want to consider a Viper 640.  Class rules are quite restrictive as to what you can do to the boat, only 1 set of sails per year and only the jib is an aramid fiber.  There's one for sale in Anacortes.  The boat has been for sale and hasn't been sailed in a couple of years now.  He's asking $19K but I'm sure that's negotiable at this point.  See http://forum.viper640.org/index.php/topic,2254.0.html

Great class and very helpful in getting the boat up to speed and a blast to sail. 

The Worlds are in Long Beach, CA in August and we're looking at having our Pacific Coast Championships at Whidbey in 2020 followed by the Gorge a couple of weeks later.

There's a magic 25 that just went to Texas that is probably still available.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:59 PM, ASP said:

Looking for a quick Sportsboat on the US west coast for less than 18k. What's out there..? Magic 25, Thompson 650, etc...?

Not sure we want to get into a 1D class where we'll be tempted to spend more and more money to be competitive. 

Cheers

The US West is a big place. Specifically where are you sailing? In the $18K price point: 

Long Beach = Viper  (worlds in 2019)

SF Bay = Melges 24 (fast)  Moore 24 or Express 27 (both have awesome classes and each are very well built/designed boats)

San Diego = I don't know (probably M24)

Very cool boat.  I know others have had problems getting a PHRF cert for it in NA because the bulb doesn’t have enough ballast.  I would check with PHRF-PNW before you pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, NextExit said:

Very cool boat.  I know others have had problems getting a PHRF cert for it in NA because the bulb doesn’t have enough ballast.  I would check with PHRF-PNW before you pull the trigger.

Would be surprised if the Shaw couldn't get a rating..? Viper 640's have about 10kg less in the bulb and they rate under PHRF here. 

Since you're in PNW couple things consider: a) Lots of light wind sailing and b) cold-assed water.  The Viper falls tad flat on both.  Its really slow in light air versus 155% equipped competitors in PHRF.  It's gonna be  a wet ride in any breeze.  The Melges is superior in both cases.  You get the thrill of the big downhill ride with much easier to live with seating position.  I've own about every racers from Viper to B25 to Ultimate 20 to Santana 30/30 GP to J22 to Melges.  The M24 is by far and away my fave sailing platform.  The older I get the more important an ergonomic it becomes.  The Voice of Experience.

13 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Since you're in PNW couple things consider: a) Lots of light wind sailing and b) cold-assed water.  The Viper falls tad flat on both.  Its really slow in light air versus 155% equipped competitors in PHRF.  It's gonna be  a wet ride in any breeze.  The Melges is superior in both cases. 

Melges 24 is a truly great option.

But not for those reasons. 

1. In light air the Viper is faster on all points of sail.  The two classes have shared so many start lines over the past 10 years that we (Melges and Viper sailors) are certain on this. The M24 is of course faster upwind once the breeze builds to moderate breeze .

2. The Viper is the clearly the dry boat downwind in breeze. Upwind they are both about the same.  The only time the fire hose gets turned on is two sail reaching  ......and yeah 2 sail reaching in breeze its snorkel time.

The Shaw seems like a great choice. Enjoy it!!!

Mambo I defer to your expertise on the Snakeboat.  My experience is from owning both boats on the same two bodies of water: CC Bay and Canyon Lake.  For my perspective I'll keep my Melge.  :)

16 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Melges 24 is a truly great option.

But not for those reasons. 

1. In light air the Viper is faster on all points of sail.  The two classes have shared so many start lines over the past 10 years that we (Melges and Viper sailors) are certain on this. The M24 is of course faster upwind once the breeze builds to moderate breeze .

2. The Viper is the clearly the dry boat downwind in breeze. Upwind they are both about the same.  The only time the fire hose gets turned on is two sail reaching  ......and yeah 2 sail reaching in breeze its snorkel time.

The Shaw seems like a great choice. Enjoy it!!!

Nope, wrong Mambo (not quite) King.  You are incorrect.  A M24 is faster up and downwind than a Viper 640 in under 6 knots period.  In the interest of full disclosure  I own both boats.  Both boats are awesome respectively.  As for your second point, both can be wet.  A more important point might be that the M24 has more room for and ice chest of beer. 

I'll give you the beer and ice.....but.....and its an important but.......the beer has to be divided among more people on the M24. The important measure is "beer per capita".

As regard light air.....I dont know where you sail.....but 6 knots is not light air on Long Island Sound.  Bring your M24 to LIS on a true LIS light air day (sub 4) and I will fill your cooler  if you can keep up ;)   . 

Of course,we might both prefer to just drink the beer.