I dunno - this is also pic of the day.  Team R2Ache’s friggin stern wheeler!!  (Folded up out of the water, it seems to have become a wind turbine...)  Love it.

005872E5-6DCF-40D3-829C-BB297254F718.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

This is a very crappy tracker, nearly useless.

Record is 3 hours 48 minutes in 2015, race started 30 minutes later,

Fyi

Just got home from other activities and getting this 502 thing for the last 30 minutes for the race tracker link.  Whats up with that?  Also dislike that I have to go to FB to see pics of the event.  Wish they would post pics on their own r2ak website too.  I'd rather not make FB any more rich or omnipresent.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.54.40 PM.png

• Like 1

1. stage was as as expected; TPSG is very fast indeed -and can take some sea.  The G32 a crewed all the way attempt - could be a possible winner too. The Shock  is fast - and also the Figaro - that has 4 cycles to give a lot power in the light stuff. If the forecast is holding up there can be a lot light winds. Then there are 3 other fast tris  that want to play, and the Girls will be there.

But there are a lot boats that have to hole crossing to do - and time is running out....  but it seems like the wind will ease in the morning and they can make it during the day - 15hours to go.

18 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

1. stage was as as expected; TPSG is very fast indeed -and can take some sea.  The G32 a crewed all the way attempt - could be a possible winner too. The Shock  is fast - and also the Figaro - that has 4 cycles to give a lot power in the light stuff. If the forecast is holding up there can be a lot light winds. Then there are 3 other fast tris  that want to play, and the Girls will be there.

But there are a lot boats that have to hole crossing to do - and time is running out....  but it seems like the wind will ease in the morning and they can make it during the day - 15hours to go.

Unfortunately I don't think Russel Brown is doing the whole race this year.

About 10 1/2 hours now left (until 1700 deadline) for all the small craft that couldn’t/wouldn’t cross yesterday.  Those who signed up for the full race, plunking down $700+, must be feeling a bit of pressure. Here’s to hoping conditions moderate for them.

That was a bumpy first leg for everyone, quite challenging with the sea state and the wind up and down for the first part of the leg. We Struggled for the first 90 mins as we couldn’t get in sync with the wind speed and headsail choice. Eventually got it together and had a great sail for the last half of the leg. Shout out to the smaller entries who were out there, humbling. 

Duncan - TPSR

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 40Plus said:

That was a bumpy first leg for everyone, quite challenging with the sea state and the wind up and down for the first part of the leg. We Struggled for the first 90 mins as we couldn’t get in sync with the wind speed and headsail choice. Eventually got it together and had a great sail for the last half of the leg. Shout out to the smaller entries who were out there, humbling. 

Duncan - TPSR

Typical a tri must have some pressure to go well upwind i waves. You have very long amas with nice piercing bows - and the c-foil to support - those NZ developed that boat for local hard conditions - so it well adapted for the job.    You can adjust the forestay tension with running backstays?  

If it gets extremely light - the Figaro can be trouble...

Oaracle (double kayak) is last on tracker.  ~12 miles to go, 2 hrs 40 mins to do it in.  Will they make it, paddling at ~3.5 kts?  DST math says no, so here’s hoping the tracker is wrong...that team has staying power!  (Second or third R2AK?)

The Old Fart seems to have parked near Oak Bay after a successful Straits crossing and overnight rest - what’s the story there?

7 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Oaracle (double kayak) is last on tracker.  ~12 miles to go, 2 hrs 40 mins to do it in.  Will they make it, paddling at ~3.5 kts?  DST math says no, so here’s hoping the tracker is wrong...that team has stating power!  (Second or third R2AK?)

The Old Fart seems to have parked near Oak Bay after a successful Straits crossing and overnight rest - what’s the story there?

Seaward passats are quick boats   3.5 knots for 3 hours is doable, depending on sea state of course.

Doesn't look like anyone else other than Funky Dory is going to make it...

Kayaks are all heading due North (aiming to shelter in Oak Bay?) which means they will have to go straight into 20kn head wind once they get there. It's ebbing now so at least the current is going the right way but it's not helping the sea state!

EDIT: just to be clear what I'm saying is that because the wind is due South at the harbour entrance but West at Trial island (curves left after going past Race Rocks and right again along the Victoria waterfront), if they had kept going West a bit more in the straight the wind would have started to turn more South to push them in but now that they are going North first, it will be completely on the nose the whole way...

16 minutes ago, Airwick said:

Doesn't look like anyone else other than Funky Dory is going to make it...

Kayaks are all heading due North (aiming to shelter in Oak Bay?) which means they will have to go straight into 20kn head wind once they get there. It's ebbing now so at least the current is going the right way but it's not helping the sea state!

EDIT: just to be clear what I'm saying is that because the wind is due South at the harbour entrance but West at Trial island (curves left after going past Race Rocks and right again along the Victoria waterfront), if they had kept going West a bit more in the straight the wind would have started to turn more South to push them in but now that they are going North first, it will be completely on the nose the whole way...

I was wondering about that - thanks for clarifying.  Hard slog in a kayak - easier, I suppose, with two paddling.  

Hats off to the rowers and paddlers - it’s cool to sail across in a small boat - but padding or rowing is a big undertaking!

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Oaracle (double kayak) is last on tracker.  ~12 miles to go, 2 hrs 40 mins to do it in.  Will they make it, paddling at ~3.5 kts?  DST math says no, so here’s hoping the tracker is wrong...that team has staying power!  (Second or third R2AK?)

Are Oaracle the pair who got run over by a power boat one year?

24 minutes ago, alctel said:

Are Oaracle the pair who got run over by a power boat one year?

Don’t know (I don’t remember that happening to anyone).

Just saw that Funky Dory appears to have called it quits (?) and has stopped at the cruise ship dock just inside the breakwater.  With an hour left!  Maybe he’s just resting.  Only a bit over a mile to finish line.  Or maybe tracker is just wrong/glitchy.

Maybe the kayakers are going to use public transport to the harbour? Do they have to bring their gear to the finish line or just themselves?

Would be sad if there be no purely human powered boat left in the race (for the first time?).

What's wrong with Old Fart? Stationary for a long time with dwindling chances for a finish. So close...

Looks like Oaracle and Old Fart are having an appointment at the club house - bowing out in style with a round of golf.

FB news on Funky Dory - recovery from capsize at the dock, but on the way again

Well, it was meant as a joke, but Oaracle is apparently moving over land...

Edited by champ0815
new info

24 minutes ago, champ0815 said:

Maybe the kayakers are going to use public transport to the harbour? Do they have to bring their gear to the finish line or just themselves?

Would be sad if there be no purely human powered boat left in the race (for the first time?).

What's wrong with Old Fart? Stationary for a long time with dwindling chances for a finish. So close...

Looks like Oaracle and Old Fart are having an appointment at the club house - bowing out in style with a round of golf.

This just in: Old Fart and Funky Dory - exclusive interviews at1800 on CNN on their decisions to the throw in the sweaty R2AK towel :-)

EDIT: Funky Dory on the move again ?  Hard to tell b/c tracker delayed 20 mins or so.  Go The Dory?! 30 mins left...photo finish?

5 minutes ago, champ0815 said:

Oaracle running to the finish line? 2.6 knots is slow even for public transport...

That’s actually quite possible!  Maybe running down the road toward the bell with kayak on one of those two-wheel kayak carriers...

9 minutes left... 

9C28155A-CE94-414C-9340-852B70B8EAC4.jpeg

12 minutes ago, champ0815 said:

Dory is in - 4:42 pm

Arm+leg  also on the move over land, 4.4 knots! Good runner!?

1706 PDT — Stage 1 party is a wrap!  

Now the real race fun begins.

Holy shit. .Funky Dory apparently capsized right at the harbour entrance.  It did appear on tracker they had stopped right around there - they said it “picked up to around 30” by entrance.  

See vid: https://m.facebook.com/racetoalaska/

Wearing drysuits, and quick ability to right the boat and bail/pump. Nice work.

3E3F36B5-6AEF-4F03-BEF2-B5E7FC2929DA.png

Team Oaracle seem to be at the finish line, but have been listed as DNF - I guess they did not make the cut-off in spite of their portaging.

Well done to all who finished and best of luck to those who have only just started.  The winds forecast on Windy.com seem to suggest that a reliable and efficient human powered system are going to be key to finishing well.  No records this year I think.

Oaracle missed it by 37 minutes after run-rolling (or carrying?) their Kayak across town according to their Facebook page. In fact all the Kayaks and all the SUPs were wiped out so I wonder if the R2AK special judge will appear and make some special dispensation. I'm not sure about these SUP people but it's not like Oaracle haven't done this event two or three times before. It would be sad if after all that wind the rest of the race still as a millpond and none of the pure paddlers are there. The double row boat Backwards AF got in OK so we'll see how they go.

Seems like Funky Dory is the last to make the time - it gives 37 boats - but not all are up for 2 leg. 

Looks like a great forecast for the start - Strait of Georgia south of Nanaimo.  The fast boats will be trucking up Haro/Georgia Straits with wind behind them!

Marine Forecast

Issued 04:00 AM PDT 05 June 2019 

Today Tonight and Thursday.

Wind southeast 5 to 15 knots except southeast 15 to 20 near Vancouver Island today and early this evening. Wind becoming southwest 15 to 20 this evening then diminishing to southwest 5 to 15 overnight. Wind backing to southeast 5 to 15 Thursday morning.

7 hours ago, Foiling Optimist said:

Oaracle missed it by 37 minutes after run-rolling (or carrying?) their Kayak across town according to their Facebook page. In fact all the Kayaks and all the SUPs were wiped out

so I wonder if the R2AK special judge will appear and make some special dispensation.

I'm not sure about these SUP people but it's not like Oaracle haven't done this event two or three times before. It would be sad if after all that wind the rest of the race still as a millpond and none of the pure paddlers are there. The double row boat Backwards AF got in OK so we'll see how they go.

I think the only “R2AK special judge” is the stealthy Grim Sweeper that hunts down slow boats :-)

But seriously, portaging across Victoria should earn you the right to stay in, surely.  How do the rules work - you register for full race ($700+), but you can’t make it across the Strait due to wx, so you can’t continue on in the race —and no money back guarantee? Ouch.

096A59EC-A72D-407E-ADB6-2976C1102BBE.jpeg

Anyone know what happened to Norse Horse?

He disappeared May 11 and shows as "withdrawn" from the race.

1 hour ago, BarfBag said:

Anyone know what happened to Norse Horse?

He disappeared May 11 and shows as "withdrawn" from the race.

Yeah - what happend  ? - he even started this tread.... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

How do the rules work - you register for full race ($700+), but you can’t make it across the Strait due to wx, so you can’t continue on in the race —and no money back guarantee? Ouch.

I think all the competitors know that Leg 1 is no gimme.  They knew it when they paid their money.  Hurts, and we'll miss some otherwise epic efforts.  But its named The Proving Ground for reason it seems.

I wonder if the qualifier might be too hard for the human powered and small boats.  While the conditions are not worse than one can expect to encounter on the rest of the race, one only needs to be able to handle the conditions, not make significant forward progress.  And indeed, the tiny craft that have finished never make much progress in bad conditions.

Not having Oaracle in the race is a damn shame.   They've been doing it since the very beginning in some form or another.

After watching Thor and Pax working on that boat I was going to cry if they didn't make it.   I'm seriously rooting for them to make it all they way.

Arm+Leg is a tough loss too -  He was the fastest Kayak and 7th place finisher overall in the previous days race of Seventy48.    Weather gods did not look favorably on the small guys this year.

52 minutes ago, ShockValue said:

Weather gods did not look favorably on the small guys this year.

By contrast, last year we (Cal 20) struggled to cross in light wind combined with, I think, contrary current a lot of the day - most of the small boats, rowers/paddlers (like Oaracle) beat us, by a lot.  (It filled in to 20-ish toward end of day, which made standing off outside the harbour entrance very challenging for us when a massive cruise ship chose THAT very instant, when we were just about to enter, to start pulling out of its berth right there!)

Not that we were pushing hard at all, and our sails were fairly ancient!  But certainly last year was kinder to the very small boats like kayaks, etc.

Not having more small boats this year is a loss, especially paddlers/rowers.  But it’ll be cool to see how those who remain tackle the challenge, and the J24.....

I think Oaracle will do it as an unofficial entry - they know they can do it, they have done all the preparation and got time off work.  Why stop just because the Race Boss says no? 

I hope they are given a tracker.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looks like a great forecast for the start - Strait of Georgia south of Nanaimo.  The fast boats will be trucking up Haro/Georgia Straits with wind behind them!

Marine Forecast

Issued 04:00 AM PDT 05 June 2019 

Today Tonight and Thursday.

Wind southeast 5 to 15 knots except southeast 15 to 20 near Vancouver Island today and early this evening. Wind becoming southwest 15 to 20 this evening then diminishing to southwest 5 to 15 overnight. Wind backing to southeast 5 to 15 Thursday morning.

If you want Bruce Hedrick's take on the weather, read it here or check it out on sailish.com. As always, Bruce and I will be watching. Here you go:

Today’s weather picture presents a complex pattern with a little bit for everyone. The current Surface Analysis has a series of three weak low-pressure systems strung across the Pacific Northwest from east of the Cascades to off of the Strait of JdF to off of the north end of Vancouver Island. The attached frontal system off of the center low will cross over the coast this afternoon and is already bringing rain to the south Sound. By tomorrow morning all that will be left of these systems is a weak low-pressure system (1013mb) that will be drifting off the central Vancouver Island coast. This system will not move very much over the next 24-48 hours.

• 5-June-Surf-Analy.png?resize=720%2C571 5 June Surf Analysis
  • 6-June-Surf-Frcst.gif?resize=720%2C953 6 June Surf Forecast
  • 6-June-1200-EC-HR.png?resize=720%2C696 6 June 1200 EC HR
  • 6-June-1500-EC-HR.png?resize=720%2C702 6 June 1500 EC HR
  • 6-June-1800-EC-HR.png?resize=720%2C700 6 June 1800 EC HR
  • 6-June-2100-EC-HR.png?resize=720%2C700 6 June 2100 EC HR
  • 7-June-0000-EC-HR.png?resize=720%2C692 7 June 0000 EC HR
  • 7-June-Surf-Frcst2.gif?resize=720%2C458 7 June Surf Forecast 2

For R2AK this will mean a bit of a light air start in a south to southeasterly breeze. Great for the rowers and paddlers. By mid-afternoon, onshore flow will develop bringing a westerly down the Strait of JdF. This westerly will become southwesterly through the San Juan and Gulf Islands of 10-15 knots, great for the sailors. Then it will be time for the first big decision:  Which way to get north to Nanaimo, go inside and up Trincomali Channel exiting at Porlier Pass or outside through Boundary Pass and into the Strait of Georgia, an additional 10 miles? And then there’s the current at Porlier Pass. Racers will have the big flood of the day with them until about 2030hrs, Thursday night. Rowers and paddlers will simply go the shortest possible course.

I ran both routes for the Melges 32 and if they go up the inside (about 10 miles shorter) I have them making Porlier at 2000 hours and arriving at Entrance Island at midnight. If they went outside on the longer course they would sail an additional seven miles on top of the 10-mile longer course and they would arrive at Entrance Island at almost exactly the same time.

This basically agrees with two of the models which will have more wind in the Strait of Georgia but to stay in the wind you’ll have to sail up the east side by Tsawwassen and the Roberts Bank. If you do go up the inside it will be lighter but a much shorter distance. Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya?

After Entrance, the southerly-southwesterly breeze will drop as the onshore flow works its way down the Strait of Georgia creating a zone of light air. After which the breeze will build to about 8-12 from the northwest and that will last until about mid-morning on Saturday when it will go light once again as racers approach Campbell River and the big tidal gate at Seymour Narrows. As in the past, if one boat can make it through and close the door on the fleet behind, that can be the entire race. 

Good luck, have a great race and be safe. I’ll continue to update the weather as long as my boss will let me.

• Like 3

Sad to report I was not able to do the race this year as my partner of 34 years had a stroke a couple weeks before the race. She has been slow recovering and the drugs have had some side effects, mostly exhaustion and mood swings. She wanted me to do the race still and I didn't want her to feel she was the reason for not going, so I continued with the race prep to avoid any guilt on her part. The boat did all it could to slow my prep...rotted out nav lights that were 3 years old, water damage on the bow where the tarp didn't cover it, ballast tank issues, a broken oar handle when I stepped on it, wrapping my truck fender around the gate getting the pig out of my back yard, a dog biting me at the boatyard launch, outboard wouldn't start, forestay too short with new hinged mast base, a boom kicker mast slid blowing out, my new halyard QR too big for the jib eye, missing mainsail slide bits and winch bolt and a pin hole leak in one corner of my ballast tank patch job...in the end I told her the boat wasn't ready and I wasn't ready for the endurance required.

Sometimes the hardest part is getting to the race. It may be a home build that takes too long, a truck breaking on the way, a boat coming off a trailer, a car accident involving a family member or work and commitments that come up that you just can't walk away from.

My regrets that I didn't get to meet the racers and volunteers this year. I will be following the tracker again and look forward to cheering them on.

It will be a cold couple of days on the water for the start and possibly lightning today. Winds will be fickle for a few days and self propelled gear will get tested. I was surprised by the keelboats time for leg one when I checked this morning. Congrads to the G32 crew for a very respectable finish.

Cheers

• Like 7

So sorry to hear about your partner, Norse. There'll be another race, glad you're there for her.

Family comes first.  We take life as it comes.  Sounds all for the best but a disappointment nonetheless.

So I grit my teeth and signed up on FB because the r2ak website says the start will go live there.  Don't see anything there yet.  Am I doing this right?   Just stare at this screen and hope a video appears of the start?  I did find the live webcam of Vic Harbor from the roof of some bldg.

Help a newbie-FB-fossil out please.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.26.18 AM.png

Feed will probably pop up on FB when it starts... 30 min to go...

If you have the social media sidefield  open at the tracker it can show there too...

OK thanks.

I see that on the R side of the tracker page.

Staring underway.

Condolences to Norse, hoping the best for his partners good recovery

Cant see any sign of that tracker is working???

Ok just updates slow - 10 min?

Have any of you had luck with the webcams around Victoria Harbor or the breakwater? None are loading for me. 

Sorry to hear about your partner, Norse.

Angry Beavers tracker not working? ...some others too

I was just down to watch the start

Nathalie on Team Shut Up and Drive was easily 1st off the dock with 4 skilled cyclists turning away at a "4 hour pace" on the stern.  They clearly had the most efficient drive system.  Here are a few of the other examples as well. 

R2AK1.jpg

R2AK2.jpg

R2AK3.jpg

R2AK4.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty light wind out there.  This cam is labeled Harding Point.  Time stamp 1305 & 1310 hrs.  Don't know where it is nor who these boats are.  Also took a bunch of screen shots with many competitors sailing just outside of Vic Harbor (Ogden Pt).  Maybe I'll post em for posterity.

J4, Harding Point worked for me but not Dallas Rd. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 1.06.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 1.12.32 PM.png

• Like 1

I went to the start. Couple of boats were really moving under their peddle drive systems. Whoever the big dark tri was took a while getting off the dock as they were at the back, but once they were off they were really ripping.

One guy had a paddlewheel which I've never seen before - apart from looking hilarious, I can't see it being more efficient than a normal prop?

19 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Angry Beavers tracker not working? ...some others too

Apparently the only team that didn’t start was AlphaWolf maybe Angry Beavers forgot to switch on. It would be annoying if one of the main contenders doesn’t show on the tracker again. We had this on Stage 1 with TPSR.

The Figaro (shut up and drive) seems to have the "engine", I had a chat with them yesterday and they can sustain 3.5kn for extended periods with their 4 pedal drives, and two full shifts. So I think they'll be the fastest if there's really no wind and will make big gains when it's dead calm.

If there is only a bit of wind, i would expect the Schock  (Angry Beaver) to be the fastest boat. In a decent breeze, Pear Shaped will be the fastest but is quite slow under power so if there is a lot of very light wind they could struggle to stay ahead of the fast monos...

I think these 3 are the main contenders this year... but of course this assumes no breakdowns. The F-31 (Giving the Horns) also has had good pace on the first leg and up to now so they are definitely in the mix.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Angry Beavers forgot to switch on

Per FB, they are working on fixing the Beaver tracker issue, they are right behind Pear shape right now...

• Like 1

Thanks. I saw that as soon as I hit the submit tab...... Did you get a chance to see the HP set up on Educated Guess? 

Here's some screenshots of the start from a webcam.  First about 1.5 min after start, second ~ +3.5 min, Third~+8 min after start.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.03.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.05.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.10.04 PM.png

up the inside channel or out into the strait?  Knowing nothing of the sailing area, I would go to the strait and assume less fluky, more consistent, and better wind.  It will be interesting to see their decisions.

I don't think they are permitted to raise sail until well down the channel and out of the crowded inner harbor. Imagine Hydroptere in the mix!

• Like 1

Alctel, #401,

The dark tri is team Narwhal a Farrier 32 built by the skipper.  They have 2 custom pedal drives and a sculling oar & sliding seat on each float, all built by the engineer, pro fabricator, & tinkering crew members.  They do go fast.  They're fellow members of the NW Multihull Association.

I loved the paddle wheel (go the Mac).  It was surprisingly fast when I saw it in Pt Townsend.  I wondered about its toughness, though.  It looked like it would rack like crazy, not much diagonal bracing, but if it made across the strait on Monday I am impressed.

9 minutes ago, B dock said:

up the inside channel or out into the strait?

Always a tough one, but going outside around Saturna adds a lot of distance, it looks like there is wind on the inside today so I would expect most will go up partway on the inside and exit at the North end of Galiano.

I'll post some pics with time stamps of Ogden Pt.

15 minutes ago, B dock said:

up the inside channel or out into the strait?

If past races are anything to go by, going up inside has worked best..... But this year could be the year which is the exception to the rule.... I would still go up inside....

2 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

1/2 mile to Ogden Point where it opens up and they can raise sail

The no sail zone ends around here, just a bout 1 mile from the docks

image.png.33f33987f8084ecb99e1694acd9469f7.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Airwick said:

The Figaro (shut up and drive) seems to have the "engine", I had a chat with them yesterday and they can sustain 3.5kn for extended periods with their 4 pedal drives, and two full shifts. So I think they'll be the fastest if there's really no wind and will make big gains when it's dead calm.

If there is only a bit of wind, i would expect the Schock  (Angry Beaver) to be the fastest boat. In a decent breeze, Pear Shaped will be the fastest but is quite slow under power so if there is a lot of very light wind they could struggle to stay ahead of the fast monos...

They get into dead downwind very light area - but space - so TPSR can get an angle and sail on VMG - it will at least keep up as long as there are wind. Give them a little more angle - and they will be gone. 

5 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

TPSR can get an angle and sail on VMG

We do often get very light winds around here <2 knots, I've raced against TPSR and they do get slow just like everyone else when it gets that light! Fast monos are just faster than multis in these conditions on any point of sail due to less wetted surface.
Keep in mind TPSR doesn't have that much sail area for a multi so it's relatively underpowered in the light stuff: they didn't need to reef in the first leg even though it was blowing 20+

Inside has tidal gates.  Most boats could not sail against a full ebb tide through them.

Active pass, lots of big ferries, current can be up to 5-6knots

Porlier pass can get up to 9 knots

Gabriola pass about 6 knots 

Dodd narrows is about 100ft across and current can be up to 6knots

The outside has boundary pass, about 2-3 knits of current. Extra distance. Sometimes it has paid off in the vanisle360 to go through and get into the strait of Georgia early.

25 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

If past races are anything to go by, going up inside has worked best..... But this year could be the year which is the exception to the rule.... I would still go up inside....

Is the “go up the inside” (Trincomalee Channel) strategy based on the wind not being N’ly and/or the boat being  a good-pointing boat?

I ask b/c I had to bring our Cal 20 back from Victoria last year under a tight schedule.  Had to motor. Winds were N 20+ in Trincomalee and I motored dead into it, north, for a very long, brutal day.  I originally thought about going outside for a better tack angle, but felt more comfortable on the inside, being alone, as it was probably much rougher outside b/c of the fetch.

Doesn't seem like a lot of room to lay in good long tacks on the inside, but maybe that’s just my impression b/c the Cal 20 generally sucks to windward!

So what’s the hive mind’s view on boats reshuffling at the docks from first-in-last-out order that was established based on the leg 1 arrival times with respect to the spirit of the race? Several of the multiple propulsion station boats shifted around to be at the heads of the docks the night before the start and it didn’t quite sit well with me. (And if it is ok in concept it still seems like it burdened the innermost multis who physically couldn’t move out without the whole dock emptying first)

20 minutes ago, Airwick said:

We do often get very light winds around here <2 knots, I've raced against TPSR and they do get slow just like everyone else when it gets that light! Fast monos are just faster than multis in these conditions on any point of sail due to less wetted surface.
Keep in mind TPSR doesn't have that much sail area for a multi so it's relatively underpowered in the light stuff: they didn't need to reef in the first leg even though it was blowing 20+

Do you know the mainsail area - and mast height? I assume they have a good set of sails fore the mast...

Further ahead the wind is 10kn - that should move them...

12 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Is the “go up the inside” (Trincomalee Channel) strategy based on the wind not being N’ly and/or the boat being  a good-pointing boat?.....

I am not local.... but yes and yes. Plus shorter distance, flatter sea state and more places to get out of the worst of any adverse current if it is or becomes a slow race. And it can get slow very suddenly...... if you are on the outside, you have nowhere to go. I seem to recall that most of the boats that went outside coming to grief on that score.

Angry Beavers are now on the tracker! Still close to TPSR and just past Backwards AF!

image.png.9f9ad612b4acf5765579e593f3a077ef.png

• Like 2

Here's some picks off Ogden Pt for posterity.  Was gonna edit em but too much work.  They have time and wind stamps and should be in order chronologically.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.22.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.23.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.23.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.24.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.25.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.30.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 12.34.18 PM.png

14 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Do you know the mainsail area - and mast height? I assume they have a good set of sails fore the mast...

This from Dragon’s for sale advert:

“Dragon is a competitive and exhillerating boat to sail, regularly seeing boat speeds over 20Knts and genuinely capable of reaching 30knts. She hosts a number of unique innovations such as hydraulic canting mast, asymetric radial lifing foils that have proven to be successful improvements......

Some Basics: 
• 10.65 x 7.5m trimaran, freshly painted. 
• 14.5m wing carbon mast including new halyards and Code 0 halyard lock. 
• Curved asymetric lifting foils 
• Hydraulic canting rig  
• New extensive sail wardrobe .....”

i would guess  ~55m2 mainsail plus ~30m2 jib and ~50m2 light weather furling Genoa off the prod....

But Airwick should know, he obviously has raced against Dragon and the Schock.

I think TPSR has smaller mainsail  than 55m2 -  more 45 - or even less from what they said themselves. But they are going 1,5kn faster than Beavers - no wonder they are angry...

Team Solveig in 6th in the Norwegian faering.  

Optimal conditions for them today I imagine. 

16 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

I am not local.... but yes and yes. Plus shorter distance, flatter sea state and more places to get out of the worst of any adverse current if it is or becomes a slow race. And it can get slow very suddenly...... if you are on the outside, you have nowhere to go. I seem to recall that most of the boats that went outside coming to grief on that score.

Shorter distance, but you need to hit a gate ( active, polier, dodds, gabriola) not near max current to get out. Adverse current isn't too much different either way, but if the wind is looking fluky outside and inside you can get local breezes up the inside and it is flatter water... or not and everyone passes you on the outside. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

I think TPSR has smaller mainsail  than 55m2 -  more 45 - or even less from what they said themselves. But they are going 1,5kn faster than Beavers - no wonder they are angry...

You spoke too soon!!! Or it could be an out of sync tracker......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Shut Up And Drive heading in an interesting direction?

Yeah - the have a french tactician... Narwahl going same?  TPSR is 2,6 nm ahead now...

28 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

10.65 x 7.5m trimaran, freshly painted. 
• 14.5m wing carbon mast including new halyards and Code 0 halyard lock. 

Don't know the specific sail areas but that looks about right, a 14.5m mast on an almost 11m long pure race boat isn't a lot.

Just looking at the boat it would look more appropriate with a couple more meters of mast height (for such a race oriented boat). If it had been designed for sailing around here it would certainly have a taller mast. But they can keep full sail well past when other fast multis around here put a reef in, it's just tuned for bigger breeze, which might not be a bad thing later in the race when it's blowing 30 in the middle of night!

NOTE: boat speed data on the tracker doesn't seem to update properly, refresh the page for updated info!

Shut up and drive going inside Sydney island is an interesting choice, not a lot of breeze in there usually but maybe they don't care that much, then again it's not really shorter so I'm not sure why they are going this way... Haven't actually checked what the current is doing right now but that might be coming into play...

24 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

I think TPSR has smaller mainsail  than 55m2 -  more 45 - or even less from what they said themselves....

14m luff with a 4m boom and 2m square head gives you 52m2 without any roach plus wing mast area?

9 minutes ago, Airwick said:

.....Shut up and drive going inside Sydney island is an interesting choice, not a lot of breeze in there usually but maybe they don't care that much, then again it's not really shorter so I'm not sure why they are going this way... Haven't actually checked what the current is doing right now but that might be coming into play...

My race experience sailing with and against French sailors over many years is that they are usually pretty current savvy...

7 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

14m luff with a 4m boom and 2m square head gives you 52m2 without any roach plus wing mast area?

Seacart 30 had 14,4m luff - 4,05 boom and 40m2 area. 

The F32 going well 11,6kn - better angle? 

2 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Its all in the head?....

...ehh if it was the numbers  - no I have a swedish spreadsheet with lots of tris.... 

They should all have current with them by now, but it might switched to a flood sooner, in which case being closer to the shore might have helped SUD, they are going well right now.
FB also shows them sailing DDW with a code 0, they might just have been playing the tidelines (lots of them there especially when it changes from ebb to flood)

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/kell

15 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

My race experience sailing with and against French sailors over many years is that they are usually pretty current savvy...

Maybe a quick pitstop in Sydney for red wine, cheese and baguette...being a French boat, don’t want to run low (and it’s fuel for their cyclists on board...)

• Like 2

TPSR is going to have to choose inside or outside very soon! It's a tough call but I'm thinking inside... Then it will be interesting to see if the beavers follow them or not!
SUD is pretty much committed to going inside at this point

3 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

...ehh if it was the numbers  - no I have a swedish spreadsheet with lots of tris.... 

I meant the head of the mainsail. A lot of multis now have seriously big headed mainsails. My 9.5m boat has 2m head.

Simple geometry on my numbers above gives 52m2....