SUAD is looking good with their inside option, staying really close to the 2 leaders.

Outside doesn't seem like a good deal today... It really does add a lot of distance, look at how far horns has to go to get around the corner with 0 or even negative VMG...

It's more risky going inside in a pure sailing race because you can get stuck at a wind transition but if you can pedal/paddle a few 100 meters to get into the next patch of wind it's a different story!

• Like 2

PSRT doing 10 knots at the moment and Educated Guess doing really well too.....

A Melges 24 is a pretty good choice for this race if you are young, impecunious and mad. If they can last it out, they could do really well...  I would have gone 3 up (in 3 watches) but still had the trapezes and sliding seat, but then again I am not young......

PSRT now slowed right down and committed to going to top end of Galliano, Horns doing well on the outside and Angry Beavers looking to go through Active Pass, give PSRT the slip and cover Horns?

Correction! PSRT look like they are coming BACK to Active Pass, lost a lot of ground there.....

It looks liek it's getting light on the inside and Horns is looking pretty good with nice speed right now!
It even looks like PSR turned around to get out through active? 

SUAD and Beavers only doing 4kt too

Looks like the race will start again outside Active Pass!!!!!!

And SUAD is stuffed..... FTB.

Looks to be more wind outside.  Delayed gratification is paying off.

• Like 1

Yep, been impressed by AF all day.  Looks like they stopped for the nite on Wallace Is.  Rowed ~44 miles in ~ 9 hours and they're still ahead of an F27!  Talk about buff and tough.

• Like 1

Tidal gate at SN is open from 09-1500. If there is breeze through the night, the leaders should go through eh?

11 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

Tidal gate at SN is open from 09-1500. If there is breeze through the night, the leaders should go through eh?

Breeze? In the Strait of Georgia? Chance in a million.

Broad brush; Windy doesn't show much wind and some dead patches for quite some time.  Who's up for night time motor sailing?  Eight guys on Shut Up might be handy.  Why aren't you there 4fun?

9 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Broad brush; Windy doesn't show much wind and some dead patches for quite some time.  Who's up for night time motor sailing?  Eight guys on Shut Up might be handy.  Why aren't you there 4fun?

Not for lack of desire or plenty of friends saying let do it, just other projects, distractions, and family obligations .. I know totally lame eh? I'm currently tracking from where I learned to sail here on the Niagara River and eastern end  of Lake Erie. Visiting / supporting my mum who needed help with an optical procedure. Her so called seeing- eye-Doug for the next week.

Had a great weekend for RTTS, therefore missing the Rendezvous!

You are a busy guy.  RTTS, I suggested making our fun race out around Double Bluff Buoy to wave as you went by but got no traction.  Good on you for taking care of mom.  I treasure being around mine her last years and learning family history I hadn't heard before.  Last of the greatest generation.  Time to tuck in, tracker dreams tonight.......til tomorrow.   Go Narwhal!

Standings at 2240 hrs:  Pear scratch, Beaver -1.3 nm, Horn -6.6, Narwhal -11.2, Shut Up -12.7, Girls -18.2, Trickster -22, Educated -24.3

TPSR made a mistake - thats why they lost the lead for a while - but they are back. See the pic og Angry B - they have BIG sails. As established now - Dragon has a small rig for that boat in those conditions - but they will love the small mainsail when it picks up. Russels G32 would have been interesting now - maybe even leading. 

See also the singelhanded cat - Soggukru are doing well - if he gets out in the open sea - he can sleep under sail. 

29 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

.....As established now - Dragon has a small rig for that boat in those conditions - but they will love the small mainsail when it picks up....

Dragon also doesn’t seem to have a really big masthead  lightweight furling genoa off the end of the bowsprit/prod either..... A must for R2AK.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Dragon also doesn’t seem to have a really big masthead  lightweight furling genoa off the end of the bowsprit/prod either..... A must for R2AK.

hah - I see our 35ft 1300kg tri 17,5m mast 59m2 mainsail - set up with the right foresails would be a perfect boat for a light R2AK - assymetric daggers makes it going upwind even in very light. But there is a long sail to get to the start - 6500nm through the northwest passage... but a Corsair 31 went that route some years ago - the other direction...

• Like 1

Northwest Passage before June? Sound more like a job for two seasons, one to get there, and one to race and get back... At least there would be no questions about your ability to finish this race after sailing the Passage!

15 hours ago, Norse Horse said:

Sad to report I was not able to do the race this year as my partner of 34 years had a stroke a couple weeks before the race. She has been slow recovering and the drugs have had some side effects, mostly exhaustion and mood swings. She wanted me to do the race still and I didn't want her to feel she was the reason for not going, so I continued with the race prep to avoid any guilt on her part. The boat did all it could to slow my prep...rotted out nav lights that were 3 years old, water damage on the bow where the tarp didn't cover it, ballast tank issues, a broken oar handle when I stepped on it, wrapping my truck fender around the gate getting the pig out of my back yard, a dog biting me at the boatyard launch, outboard wouldn't start, forestay too short with new hinged mast base, a boom kicker mast slid blowing out, my new halyard QR too big for the jib eye, missing mainsail slide bits and winch bolt and a pin hole leak in one corner of my ballast tank patch job...in the end I told her the boat wasn't ready and I wasn't ready for the endurance required.

Sometimes the hardest part is getting to the race. It may be a home build that takes too long, a truck breaking on the way, a boat coming off a trailer, a car accident involving a family member or work and commitments that come up that you just can't walk away from.

My regrets that I didn't get to meet the racers and volunteers this year. I will be following the tracker again and look forward to cheering them on.

It will be a cold couple of days on the water for the start and possibly lightning today. Winds will be fickle for a few days and self propelled gear will get tested. I was surprised by the keelboats time for leg one when I checked this morning. Congrads to the G32 crew for a very respectable finish.

Cheers

Hey Buddy,  I feel like I've been asleep at the helm.  Didn't even know that the race had started.  I was super excited when I saw your name on the roster and was shocked and saddened when I read this post.  I'm very sorry to hear about your partner and I hope she is doing better.  I will definitely be in Squamish this summer and I'll be heading back from Mexico last week of June.  I would very much like to stop in for a beer if you're available for a chin wag.  Maybe if the stars align we'll get to do the Squamish Open!

55 minutes ago, champ0815 said:

Northwest Passage before June? Sound more like a job for two seasons, one to get there, and one to race and get back... At least there would be no questions about your ability to finish this race after sailing the Passage!

....yes have to be 2 seasons - but what a trip.... From the finish of the race and back - that will be the same year... 

Looking at the Figaro track; they really took the direct route - and didnt lose much - they maybe rely on the cyclist to propel them through windless areas. 

The leaders are sailing to better winds - 16kn ahead - Dragon will like that. They lost maybe 2nm on the error. 

If the Narrows gate opens at 09.00 and to 15.00 - its 7 hour from now - and about 63nm - TPSR are doing 8kn good direction - så they will make it no problem. 

Sail Like a Girl - have some 157nm to gate - they have to do 6,5kn to make it to 15.00 - also possible. 

But it seems like the 3 leader are going very good now - but the boats behind them are going very slowly now - so a gap opens. 

TPSR pulling away - 13nm in front - but the wind seems to be dying away too....will the Tour de France guys go into action? 

Angry Beaver has closed the gap with TPSR to 6nm!

9hrs to clear the gate and about 40nm to cover. Easy with wind, but TPSR doing 2kts at the moment.

Last at 07.00 the 3 leaders seems to be pushed back by the current... or not - doing 5,8kn TPS 07.20  - and The Tour de France Team are at 4th now .... 30nm behind leader. 

TPSR har about 34nm to gate - I think they will make it - also probably the two other leaders - then the rest will be too late - if not the wind really pics up.

Cant see those loops in the track now - the tracer itself is a little dodgy....  the two Melges are going good from behind.... 

The Shock - not too impressed - it should be its best chance in these conditions.

The gate is looking to be a great equalizer yet again if it closes before the top boats can get in... It would suck to be set back 6 hours!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

The Shock - not too impressed - it should be its best chance in these conditions.

I agree. I thought it was going to be a race between the Shock, Figaro, and Melges in these light conditions...

Maybe it's the problem of having 8 crew (plus their bikes) onboard :lol:

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

. Maybe if the stars align we'll get to do the Squamish Open!

Thx and hope to race with you then.

The forecast - just 1-2ms unsettled - for long time - but they will drift with the current - if they get closer to Campbell River entrance ...

In the Straight - Walkem Island is also just same shit - for a long time.... this can be slow - and hard to go against the current there - will we see event the fastest boat go to land to not be swept back?

9 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

but they will drift with the current

If it starts ebbing, I think they have to get past Mitlenatch island (if I remember correctly), which is the limit of where the current changes direction (i.e. ebb flows North on the North of Mitlenatch and flows South on the South side).

That said it will be fairly slow current until they enter the narrows near Campbell river and by that time it will be pushing them North for sure!

I just looked out at Harwood Island and there is nothing but a few cats paws...Powell River mill the smoke is straight up.

There may be some wind along Sabine Channel in these light conditions. There is about 7-8 knots on the NE side of Texada right now but glassy in other parts of Malaspina.

• Like 1

TPSR is moving better now so it looks like they found a bit of breeze. Beaver and Horns are also picking up a bit of speed (more than just paddling)

The next few hours will tell if PSR can grab some ebb and pull away, otherwise, the flood will be over 12kn at Seymour and nobody will make it far in this wind. https://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/7310.html

There is a chance the back of the fleet will compress with the dead wind near Campbell River and a lost tide gate this evening.

https://www.facebook.com/racetoalaska/posts/

• Like 2

TPSR needs to do about 6kt VMG to get to get to the Narrows before the tide switch...

Looking like a bit of a stretch right now unless some wind picks up significantly.

We might have a bit of a "restart" tonight at 10 (or whoever makes it will build a huge lead)

• Like 1

Looking very light and slow. Am I right they have until, say, 1500 to get through the gate?  Say, ~30 miles in 4.5 hrs? 

This is where non-sailors start to fall asleep at the tracker :-)

• Like 1

Guess posted a video of them passing Girl in glassed out conditions pedaling at ~3.3 knots.  Ugh.  5 knots wind at 9 am (11 am now) at buoy ~8 miles north of Pear.   Horn has gained some ground on Pear and Beaver.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.07.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 11.10.04 AM.png

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Looking very light and slow. Am I right they have until, say, 1500 to get through the gate?  Say, ~30 miles in 4.5 hrs? 

This is where non-sailors start to fall asleep at the tracker :-)

Yup!

Reporting times of the trackers are a bit more wonky now.  Hard to tell relative positions.  Trickster says 0940, Narwhal & Girls 1130, Pear 1030 on my screen.

• Like 1

Wait ? Do I hear creaking? Its full on now! Humans vs the environment! Race for the gate! Hasn't someone always made it in previous renditions?

Anybody?

Edited by trimejust4fun
Error

Hi from KYC on the course.

Currently pedalling up Johnstone between two Olson's and trickster .

Last night was sporty... Today not so much.

• Like 5

Unless there is some seriously good breeze from now on, it's looking more and more unlikely, although TPSR is up to 7kn now (and should soon get at least another know or two of current, at least for part of the way).

If there is enough breeze, the narrows can also be done for some time after slack with some adverse current, at least 1/2 hour, maybe up to about an hour? 

Pear is getting sucked in now, for the next ~half hour.  They might make it but I think they only have one pedal drive so they might have to anchor to not get sucked back thru.  Maybe there's a bunch of SUP paddles stashed aboard.  Might have some drama.  Campbell River at 1400 hrs, not much wind.  This refreshes every 15 minutes so maybe we'll see em cross this screen, link.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.12.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.24.38 PM.png

• Like 1

Yup.  But still a few miles to go.  Might be them just above the red roof.  You can see its moving with the go live button in my previous link.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.31.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.26.36 PM.png

Browns bay is just north of the Narrows.  You might be able to see em pass by but I don't know how often it updates maybe only once an hour.  Link  

It looks like the tide is starting to rise already in this pic but its hard to tell.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.54.09 PM.png

One thing that helps them a bit is the tracker is delayed usually about 20min so they are always a bit further ahead as what it looks like bu still...
It's slack just about now but.

Was it the first year the lead team managed to force their way through even though it was flooding? They had quite a bit of wind though

• Like 2

I shudder to think what happens to a keelboat with fore and aft appendages in the whirlpools at Seymour Narrows. Advantage to Multihulls with lifting appendages. Looks too close to call but Menzies Bay might be looking pretty good right now.

Sidenote - you think someone would have come up with a better tracker by now. The same one is used for all the PNW races and the interface kind of sucks (not being able to select all the boats at once in the replay is really annoying)

1 hour ago, Airwick said:

....If there is enough breeze, the narrows can also be done for some time after slack with some adverse current, at least 1/2 hour, maybe up to about an hour? 

Didn’t Elsie Piddock wiggle through like that in the first race, snuck up hugging the east side and crossing over to the west side after Elk Bay to finally rest in Otter Cove near Chatham Point?

I recall many, many years ago, a Seymour Narrows newbie, getting sucked south, sideways, very fast, crossing from Quadra to Campbell River...mind-bending.

Latest update has TPSR doing only 4kt, meaning there is not much wind so it seems unlikely they are going to make it.

Beaver? 

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.09.58 PM.png

Have they gone dark  grey?  Their time stamp seems often delayed behind others as I refresh my screen.  Here they say 1410 while Pear said 1500.

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.16.26 PM.png

1 hour ago, Airwick said:

Day one clip is out:

R2AK going Viral! Major FOMO!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Didn’t Elsie Piddock wiggle through like that in the first race, snuck up hugging the east side and crossing over to the west side after Elk Bay to finally rest in Otter Cove near Chatham Point?

Yes they did but there was wind that year, lots of wind. I was there.

Just for fun:

Lone fan camping on the beach since 3 am waiting for some action?

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.28.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 3.40.29 PM.png

19 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

Yes they did but there was wind that year, lots of wind. I was there.

I know.... if I recall correctly, they did it under mainsail only?

image added:

3CBE9EBD-4D91-49F1-9814-566754454B86.jpeg

Wayne, was the tide that year as big as it is for these guys?

9 minutes ago, eric1207 said:

Wayne, was the tide that year as big as it is for these guys?

Pretty much. We went through on the next ebb with ten knots current against 35 westerly. One of my more frightening sailing experiences to date. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

One of my more frightening sailing experiences to date. 

I'll bet.

The years of tracker junkying get jumbled in my head.  I do remember some dicey stories from there.

We’re you the Hobie 33?  I think that was the year someone was shooting video footage from a helicopter, and that Hobie (and others) was like it was in battle, seriously beating north against 30+ kts.  Intense.

Looks like DRAGON is going to wait.

Click on their track and sometimes it shows ahead of the boat icon!

4 minutes ago, BarfBag said:

Looks like DRAGON is going to wait.

Click on there track and sometimes it shows ahead of the boat icon.

Such gentleman! It will make it a bit more sporting! AB and GTH are so relieved!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

I know.... if I recall correctly, they did it under mainsail only?

image added:

3CBE9EBD-4D91-49F1-9814-566754454B86.jpeg

Excellent Recall!

9 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

We’re you the Hobie 33?  I think that was the year someone was shooting video footage from a helicopter, and that Hobie (and others) was like it was in battle, seriously beating north against 30+ kts.  Intense.

Nope. I was on my F85 SR Mail Order Bride. The Hobie 33 was MUCH SAFER! Same time same place though.

Here's a shout out to Ziska for going where no contestant has before, if I'm not mistaken?

6 minutes ago, trimejust4fun said:

Excellent Recall!

Optimistic Bucket List intelligence gathering.....

BTW I see that the Melges 24 (still doing brilliantly!) has 2 pedal stations. Does anyone know more about their setup? Are they linked?

5 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Por Favor was the Hobie 33 that just missed out on the steak knives.(Wayne won them with Mail Order Bride).

Can’t do the photo only, but here is a link giving an idea of conditions in Johnstone Straits that year:

https://m.facebook.com/SmallCraftAdvisorMagazine/posts/842530005802777

Oh yeah I remember that photo, terrifying. It really blew that year, my friend on his beach cat got stuck for two days on a quadra island beach

6 minutes ago, Ripply said:

Here's a shout out to Ziska for going where no contestant has before, if I'm not mistaken?

That route has been done before, several times I think. I would have to research.....

Several boats did that route in 2015. I am really impressed by how well Ziska is doing. Amazing! Pear Shaped in the catbird seat right now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, alctel said:

Oh yeah I remember that photo, terrifying. It really blew that year, my friend on his beach cat got stuck for two days on a quadra island beach

That would be Team Mau (Tim Walpold and Joanna  Ludlow) on the Nacra cat..... They capsized just after Seymour Narrows. Arguably lucky to survive.....

3 hours ago, Airwick said:

Day one clip is out:

That vid brought a huge grin to my face! What a classic race, which probably could not be replicated anywhere else in the world. Did I read earlier in this thread that this is the final time it will be run? If so, very sad.

Angry Beavers tracker is over 3 hrs since last update, anybody know where they actually are?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, See Level said:

Angry Beavers tracker is over 3 hrs since last update, anybody know where they actually are?

Not in Menzies Bay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stinky said:

Campbell River Museum, shock 40

Screen_Shot_2019-06-07_at_2_42.43_PM.png

If they sailed by at 1442 hrs, they probably made it to Menzies Bay before 1642 hrs.

Just now, efrank said:

When is the next opportunity to get through Seymore Narrows?

They should be able to get through sometime after 2100, if they have wind. Tide turns to ebb at 2150.

Mind bender for ya...

We have a 9kt flood right now and maybe a 5kt southerly (if Sailflow is right). That's 14kts over the water. I would think TPSR could do at least 18kts and jibe through 100 degrees. The M32 certainly could and then some. This would give them an 11.5kt VMG, enough to overcome the current.

They should go for it! What could go wrong ;)

1 minute ago, RandyM81 said:

Mind bender for ya...

We have a 9kt flood right now and maybe a 5kt southerly (if Sailflow is right). That's 14kts over the water. I would think TPSR could do at least 18kts and jibe through 100 degrees. The M32 certainly could and then some. This would give them an 11.5kt VMG, enough to overcome the current.

They should go for it!

I'm missing the genius here.