1 hour ago, RandyM81 said:

Mind bender for ya...

We have a 9kt flood right now and maybe a 5kt southerly (if Sailflow is right). That's 14kts over the water. I would think TPSR could do at least 18kts and jibe through 100 degrees. The M32 certainly could and then some. This would give them an 11.5kt VMG, enough to overcome the current.

They should go for it! What could go wrong ;)

In theory, to overcome 9 knots of current with a 5 knot tail wind, with a gybe angle of 100 degrees, you need at least 14 knots of boat speed and your AWA would be 65 degrees. At 18 knots boat speed, VMG would be 11.57 knots (less 9 knots current) and the AWA would be 50 degrees?

29 minutes ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Did you have this discussion with Colin and Ian?

Our plan on MAD Dog Racing was to make the tide gate. And if we didn't make the tide gate the plan was to send it anyways.

That said, we were looking at northerlies for the first 3/4 of our race so the whole dead-downwind-faster-than-the-wind thing wasn't actually part of the conversation. We just thought we could possibly force our way up one side of the Narrows.

• Like 1

I hope they get that tracker fixed on Angry Beaver!

Next year use Yellow Brick trackers. They suck less.

• Like 3

I watched Ziska gracefully sail past me in Malaspina Strait through the binoculars. They still have pressure and are cutting across the bottom of Harwood. If they had stayed east of it they would be fighting a 2 knot tide. Fair winds, lovely lady.

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

Moored alongside Horns.... As per media insert.

2100 hrs, the race starts again! But this time, the second peloton will be with them.....

2 hours ago, RandyM81 said:

Mind bender for ya...

We have a 9kt flood right now and maybe a 5kt southerly (if Sailflow is right). That's 14kts over the water. I would think TPSR could do at least 18kts and jibe through 100 degrees. The M32 certainly could and then some. This would give them an 11.5kt VMG, enough to overcome the current.

• Like 1

looks like the horns are getting the jump on the pears

From FB:
OK this feels like it could be on the radio show from the old TV show Northern Exposure, but according to Melissa Edwards' mom, who is camping along Seymour Narrows, Givin' the Horns and Angry Beaver are NECK AND NECK going through the Narrows right now! Pear Shaped is going through behind them. UPDATE - Melissa's mom says frontrunners are TRIMARANS. Which means the Beav is 3rd.

• Like 2

The leaders have plenty of wind forecast for Johnstone Strait tonight and wind against tide for a while.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=06800

Wee Free Men may have to beach or leave that tiny exposed cove on Texada tonight with wind forecast to sweep them. Blubber Bay offers better shelter.

Just wonder if Russell is up there sailing around with the fleet somewhere.  Anyone talk to him in Victoria?

Vid of The Girls sailing with reef and good pressure - flat water - this must be trimaran conditions....

TPSR going good now -open a good lead to The Horns - have they problems- doing just 3kn? Trickster is doing over 9kn  and pulling away from the monos.

But where is Beavers ....those trackers!  Guess somewhere near Horns.

Trackers is funny - but the leaderboard shows Beavers at 2nd - TPSR at 8kn Beavers at 6 - Horns at 4...  1nm between each of them 

AT 01.50:

The leaderboard seems to be better updated than the tracker:  Showing Beavers at 3. 11nm behind leader - just 1,7nm in front of Shut Up and a bunch of others.... 

24 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

AT 01.50:

The leaderboard seems to be better updated than the tracker:  Showing Beavers at 3. 11nm behind leader - just 1,7nm in front of Shut Up and a bunch of others.... 

Leaderboard is not udated correctly either - Beavers are most likely at 2nd. 

7 hours ago, Airwick said:

Obviously a pear shaped for racing, an angry water animal with buck teeth and a horny giver, have nothing when compared to a foiling catamaran going up current in no wind, let alone a mad dawg! LOL!

It’s time for a game of “name that boat”.  (R2AK entry)

No googling!

Though the forepeak is 6' 5" long, and quarterberths are long enough for a small person, prospects of camping on the boat aren’t particularly appealing.” 

But, hey, it’s only to Ketchikan, so how hard can it be? :-) :-)

11 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

It’s time for a game of “name that boat”.  (R2AK entry)

No googling!

Though the forepeak is 6' 5" long, and quarterberths are long enough for a small person, prospects of camping on the boat aren’t particularly appealing.” 

But, hey, it’s only to Ketchikan, so how hard can it be? :-) :-)

Wee Free Men?

53 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Wee Free Men?

No, but a noble guess, given that team’s choice of small craft (which I had to look up on the R2AK teams page —Chesapeake Light Craft Faering 22.5 Cruiser.  (Pic from google search.)

No, the description I posted above, “Though the forepeak is 6' 5" long, and quarterberths are long enough for a small person, prospects of camping on the boat aren’t particularly appealing”, is a whole different level of “not particularly appealing”, since sleeping would be while underway, moving, pounding to windward (while with the CLC, you could feasibly raise the centreboard [see line drawings here: https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/clc-faering-cruiser.html ], drop a small anchor in a very shallow bay (or beach it), and get some shut eye for the night.  

I’m guessing that the boat in question won’t stop for the night - because it’s very fast, and b/c they probably want to get off sooner rather than later! :-) :-). Imagine a very uncomfortable “sleep”.

AE1196B3-47FC-4C10-827B-61394AF27B86.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Though the forepeak is 6' 5" long, and quarterberths are long enough for a small person, prospects of camping on the boat aren’t particularly appealing

That could apply to a number of them... but the "while underway part" points to something faster so the Melges 24 maybe? The Tennant cat probably isn't more comfy but there would't be "quarter berths"...

My picks for both the cash and the knives aren't updating on the tracker. I can't take it! Need my fix. Any intel front the course?

I don't remember there being much cell reception in Johnstone Strait.

45 minutes ago, Airwick said:

That could apply to a number of them... but the "while underway part" points to something faster so the Melges 24 maybe? The Tennant cat probably isn't more comfy but there would't be "quarter berths"...

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner - that quote is lifted from an online review, by Practical Sailor magazine from years ago, of the then-new Melges 24.  https://www.practical-sailor.com/reviews/boatreview/melges_24-1202-1.html

I woke up this morning and was pretty blown away to see Team Educated Guess so close to the leaders...looked them up on the R2AK site team list (not knowing who they were), and was amazed to see it was a Melges 24.  Then I thought to myself, wow, they’ve been going round the clock, hmm, what must it be like to sleep on that boat with a crew of four!  What kind of cabin does a Melges 24 have? Stellar performance by them, pushing hard!

I’m impressed by their “electrical system” - very creative engineering for their small wet boat. See clip of construction of their system in a waterproof Pelican case:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

My picks for both the cash and the knives aren't updating on the tracker. I can't take it! Need my fix. Any intel front the course?

I don't remember there being much cell reception in Johnstone Strait.

IIRC your tracker got a bit sketchy up there as well. Nothing like the Beaver, though And not long enough to think that anyone might be getting close.

The leaders are tight enough this time that tracker wonkies are really frustrating!

Where are TPSR & the Beaver?

I hope the improvements to the next race will include better tracking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danceswithoctopus said:

Where are TPSR & the Beaver?

Where are they indeed.

Tracker is most disappointing.

image.png.2b45f79e4bac363748bcc5d50a225ad8.png

The Beaver has suddenly reappeared on the tracker...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Keith said:

The Beaver has suddenly reappeared on the tracker...

TOSR is still dark, but should be right there with Beav and the Horns.

Since the tracker is basically useless (it’s showing the Pears in 8th place, which can’t be right), enjoy footage of napping on the trapeze of the Melges 24.  Awesome!  Playing leap frog with SLAG and Trickster.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=605880599904461&id=496650490827473

(Updates from teams while they have cell coverage is way more timely —and interesting— than the clunky tracker.)

Beaver back - but the hole shit went up in flames... no tracker at all....

5 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Beaver back - but the hole shit went up in flames... no tracker at all....

That boat name!!! I can't help myself.

With apologies, I can't take it back...

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Tracker and Beavers back but now TPSR is gone - somebody trying to be funny here? - its not funny...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

....I woke up this morning and was pretty blown away to see Team Educated Guess so close to the leaders...looked them up on the R2AK site team list (not knowing who they were), and was amazed to see it was a Melges 24.  Then I thought to myself, wow, they’ve been going round the clock, hmm, what must it be like to sleep on that boat with a crew of four!  What kind of cabin does a Melges 24 have? Stellar performance by them, pushing hard!

I’m impressed by their “electrical system” - very creative engineering for their small wet boat. See clip of construction of their system in a waterproof Pelican case

^^^^This. Their pedal drive system looks pretty good too.... they seem to have put a lot of thought into a lot of things.

I used to race on Melges 24s many moons ago, have even body surfed behind one hanging onto the mainsheet,  my PFD a belly board. (and we still won). Hard to imagine how you can get all the gear and off watch bodies in the space below over a wet cold 700 mile race. Character forming!

It has been made easier by the lighter weather, but still big applause. Keep going guys!

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

That boat name!!! I can't help myself.

With apologies, I can't take it back...

It could be worse.....

There was Team SOGGY BEAVERS in the 2015 race. They still hold the record for using their hands....

CD3C46B9-510D-46DA-A451-AD39AB4903DC.jpeg

On a more educational note, there was a short video on the story of Ripple Rock at the entrance to Seymour Narrows in the social media sidebar.

Below are the before and during photos....everyone knows the ending........

62D7BD1C-FE6B-4718-9BEF-3DB4DC1CAFE0.jpeg

0359F104-BE48-47DE-B302-2B864505AB4E.jpeg

D8ABD81B-7F82-43A8-BB14-4A67C74C9650.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Tracker and Beavers back but now TPSR is gone - somebody trying to be funny here? - its not funny...

Junkie tracker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeaGul said:

R2AK seems to have developed a mutant strain of the Sydney Hobart “Fried Splitter” disease...... Highly contageous!

48 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

R2AK seems to have developed a mutant strain of the Sydney Hobart “Fried Splitter” disease...... Highly contageous!

Trust me, no one is trying to do "anything funny" other than race to Alaska. Funny is though, listening to folks from "AWAY" talking like they know shit.

R2Ache has left the dock and is rapidly gaining on the leaders. A truly heroic story.

• Like 1

God you people, all this talk of Beavers got me trying to find a good DeHavilland Beaver video, but instead I got stuck into watching this classic. Which I will share as you can be entertained while we wait for them to hopefully fix the tracker. 

• Like 1

OK sp TPSR is in the lead 10nm  an hour ago - and now Horns are in 2nd .  Looking at some weather it will be rain in the morning - and light southerly - 2-ms increasing to 5. Worst trimaran condition IMO - but TPSR seems to have an edge even in this light stuff. 

...and the logs - they have been nice this year...no incidents?.

52 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

Trust me, no one is trying to do "anything funny" other than race to Alaska. Funny is though, listening to folks from "AWAY" talking like they know shit.

We may know shit but you definitely lack a sense of humour....

• Like 1

So inside lane or outside lane to Bella Bella? I think outside looks better for the lead boats. But tomorrow from mid-day on looks a bit nautical.

Screenshot_20190608-223710.thumb.png.143f2927d09a1fbd338e9b2e41b7603f.png

If I was out there I'd go outside to Bella Bella, then after Bella Bella stick my nose back outside to check actual conditions then decide whether to go outside again or duck back in.

• Like 3

Looked some vids - Very light upwind - all 3 has jibs like 110% - why not bigger sail fore to drag them in this light? Like Educated Guess cycling solution from midt boat - so they can keep the weight in the center. We always lose in the superlight bec we dont have that big sail due to rating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyM81 said:

So inside lane or outside lane to Bella Bella? I think outside looks better for the lead boats. But tomorrow from mid-day on looks a bit nautical.

If I was out there I'd go outside to Bella Bella, then after Bella Bella stick my nose back outside to check actual conditions then decide whether to go outside again or duck back in.

Yes outside Calvert looks right - better angle too - but can there be some Venturi effect  in the channel inside....? 

at 4.40: Beavers going faster now - 8.3 kn outside Calvert  - while Horns have been slower and are almost overrun by the chasing pack with Girls and Trickster and more. 

They sail into more wind so TPSR must be in front of all going well I presume... 

25 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Windy also currently showing more pressure further out and further north....

https://www.windy.com/52.150/-128.120?51.473,-127.694,8

Looking fresh during Sunday - then calm at night again - if the frontrunners can get out from Bella before the wind dies they can put in some fast miles. TPSR should have about 30nm to Bella if they are in front -  Beavers doing 8+ now - the tri should be faster - so if they not get stucked - they can possible get some advantage. 

Some teams heading inside already to get to the waypoint at Bella Bella, Angry Beavers must have dammed up the channel outside.

That is frustrating when PSR can't be tracked.

Weather is 12c and light showers. Brrr. https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-94_metric_e.html

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=02300

KYC giving the Olson 30's a run for their money swapping leads atop the division 2 boats. Well done.

• Like 1

Oh, shit, those beavers must be rabid about that...

Educated Guess, the Malges 24 team, the "Corgi-Toy-Pitbull-Retriever" entry still up there with the A teams. More than the div2 lead, they have really done well chasing the pack. https://r2ak.com/2019-teams-full-race/team-educated-guess/

Weather cam in Bella Bella airport and some other spots. http://www.floatplaneoperators.org/webcams/

Shearwater Dock Cam. https://shearwater.ca/live-webcam/

http://tracker.r2ak.com/

I am impressed as to how SLAG has worked her way up through the fleet into 4th place.  She has passed a lot of boats. Maybe the question is why was she so far back earlier in the race?

• Like 1

I blame the Democrats. No wait - the Republicans and the Russians. I think they are responsible for the tracker too.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Looked some vids - Very light upwind - all 3 has jibs like 110% - why not bigger sail fore to drag them in this light? Like Educated Guess cycling solution from midt boat - so they can keep the weight in the center. We always lose in the superlight bec we dont have that big sail due to rating. 

Like Dr.Stuart Walker used to always explain; sailing in zephyrs and light air under 3-4 knots, if one doesn't have a nylon windseeker, then use smaller headsails like a blade and up to a 110% rather then larger headsails, to keep the boat moving surprisingly well. Also put more twist in the sails in zephyrs, which will keep a boat moving along quite well, too. If one has a boom lift, then lift the boom to open the top up, then lock in that twist by running a shock cord from the boom vang bale to a inhauler ring, and snug the inhauler up. If one doesn't have a boomlift - with a masthead rig, use the spinnaker halyard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomer said:

Like Dr.Stuart Walker used to always explain; sailing in zephyrs and light air under 3-4 knots, if one doesn't have a nylon windseeker, then use smaller headsails like a blade and up to a 110% rather then larger headsails, to keep the boat moving surprisingly well. Also put more twist in the sails in zephyrs, which will keep a boat moving along quite well, too. If one has a boom lift, then lift the boom to open the top up, then lock in that twist by running a shock cord from the boom vang bale to a inhauler ring, and snug the inhauler up. If one doesn't have a boomlift - with a masthead rig, use the spinnaker halyard.

It's harder to keep laminar flow attached to larger sails in very light air, and also to keep larger sails filled and shaped properly, therefore smaller flatter sails ironically have the edge in very light air, and of course in heavy air, with larger fuller sails bringing up the middle ground.

• Like 1

Correct and Dr. Walker usually explained this as well  - that included tightening the outhaul  on the main and moving the fairleads aft in zephyrs, to make for a flatter sail  in the lower third of the sails, to keep the flow laminar in extreme light air.

3 hours ago, boomer said:

In the days of Stuart Walker, big foresails meant lots of overlap, so many boats used small non overlapping light wind seeker sails, especially good in sloppy conditions.

These days, with increasingly bigger bowsprits, you don’t need overlap, which can  destroy airflow, in order to get more sail area so using a large non overlapping lightweight windseeker has to be better than using a small one..... Unless it affects your rating.

You can see that trend in all non rating events.

And even then overlap seems to work on some boats, especially big ones which are less affected by slop, regardless of rating.... just raw horsepower and maxing out the sail area for a given mast height.

Edit: Would Wild Oats 10 in the foreground be faster or slower if her light weather jib tack was out on the end of the bowsprit and the jib head was at masthead?

92FEB57A-1D41-4B83-BEAA-CEA60BF87AC7.jpeg

Stuart Walker was still writing the same about light air and zephyr sailing, long after sprits and pods came back on the scene. IRC didn't like big genoas so that contributed to their downfall. Over 15 knots and with a correctly sized  low AR main, blades are more efficient uphill. However, that set-up sucks reaching. Like really bad. No power at the top of the sail. Hence the development of the code zero which is very necessary if you're reaching on a modern boat. I might add in both masthead and fractional rigs, there is nothing like a well cut 153% for going upwind in 5-12 knots. Overlapping furling headsails still have a place in terms of versatility.

Genoas did have their peak during RORC, CCA and IOR rules.  The CCA Rule saw 200% lp genoas,  the IOR Rule reduced that to 170%,  the thought with IOR during the early 70s, was headsails were supposedly more efficient upwind and down so rig dimensions tended to emphasize J and I  on masthead rigs, however, by the late 70s most new IOR boats were frac rigs with large lower aspect ratio mains.  IOR settled on big low AR mains - not small skinny ones. At least from the perspective of largest SA for the smallest RSAT. The initial preference of small skinny mains in IOR may have been because,  spinnaker area is a function of J and jib hoist  -which leads to small skinny mains, and they worked best on the earlier heavier IOR hulls - but the Kiwi designers were the first to take advantage of using big low AR mains, which also worked well with their more dinghy like hulls. The IMS (MHS) Rule brought back large mains, the IRC (CHS) Rule knock genoas down to 110% Jibs, the ORR Rule will probably usher in an increase in genoa size.

As sail area restricted classes show, overlap is an inefficient place to put sail cloth. Since the fractional rig has become popular again, genoas are still useful, but of course those who have the pockets for a set of codes and all other new variations will go along that route. Code zero, is basically the CCA genoa of today.

• Like 1

Ask Randy or Russell if they would rather use a smaller jib “off the bow” .......

Your preaching to the choir, been a fan of fractional rigs since the 60s.

Besides, I don't need to ask anyone...for anyone who really sails, the answer is fairly obvious.

That said, as said above, there is nothing like a well cut 143% to153% for going upwind in 5-12 knots.

I have used windseekers in both Fastnet and Sydney Hobart races. Over 12 years ago my Beneteau 27.7 had a Code zero on longest bowsprit ever seen in the class, and my current multihull, which I designed and built myself has a lighweather spritsail as large as the mainsail. But then I know shit and have never sailed......

There are a few reasons the boat in the videos are not using bigger headsails...  Both the M24 and M32 are fractional one-design boats, and while the M32 used is masthead reaching kite last year, neither of those boats carry or have been modified to use a Masthead Genoa in their configuration. I think there are only 3-4 boats in the PNW that are designed, set up and rated for them, and i think they are all the older TP52s that had the original gear per MEDCUP in 2006/07/08 before they were banished.  The MG sail is very hard on the boat, had a very narrow wind range and is ruined very quickly when used over it, needs some sort of track and deck reinforcement in the cockpit to lead the sail to (which i dont think the OD boats want to mod for this "race") and the mast would need to be designed to support the load of a genoa pulling from the masthead. This pic posted above was a great example, so i reposted it,  you can see the track needed in the back of the boat, and while not needed with maybe the M24 or M32, bigger boats have to use a hydro ram or huge purchase system just to keep the luff tight since you can not use the luff foil as it is fractional. Plus you would be spending money on sail that you might only ever use once since there is no rating system for this race, where i know that the TP52s to have them on board was almost a minute a mile penalty. In 5-10 they are killer, anything over that they start to rip stuff off the boat....

92FEB57A-1D41-4B83-BEAA-CEA60BF87AC7.jpeg.fbee5ff6ee16e42931cb4416a4c93078.jpeg

Didn't mean for you to take offense to that. I've been a fan of fractional rigs since the 60s - your preaching to the choir.

11 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

I have used windseekers in both Fastnet and Sydney Hobart races. Over 12 years ago my Beneteau 27.7 had a Code zero on longest bowsprit ever seen in the class, and my current multihull, which I designed and built myself has a lighweather spritsail as large as the mainsail. But then I know shit and have never sailed......

t-bird2.jpg

• Like 1

The irony is, so have I. I have spent way more time on fractional rigged boats than mastheaded boats, but that doesn’t change the principles about which we are talking, nor do the technical issues raised by DHF.

7 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

The irony is, so have I. I have spent more time on fractional rigged boats than mastheaded boats, but that doesn’t change the principles about which we are talking, nor does the technical issues raised by DHF.

I was not even responding directly to you , but was just pointing out that the two boats in the video are one design boats and built and designed that way, some asked why they did not have larger sails, and as a sailmaker for 12 years, and knowing the guys on the M24, i was just pointing out why those two boats in particular likely did not have MGs on for the race. 

And if you mean Randy as in Randy Smyth and cat sail design, he would likely say no headsail or something tiny for upwind.

One doesn't have to be a masthead rig to carry a genoa. The T-Bird in the pic above is carrying a 150%, as do many fractional rigged boats, as well as 6 & 12 meter boats. If DHF is correct and that's all they're rigged for and sailing, then that's good on them - sailing what they brung splendidly.

As much as I love fractional rigged boats, for the same mast height, given the choice between a fractional rig and overlapping Genoa and a masthead rig with no overlap, I would take the mast head rig every time.

But enough of this distraction..... Can Anyone believe what is happening on the tracker? WTF? The girls in the lead!

16 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

No I meant Randy Miller. His experience is more relevant to R2AK.

Yes, Randy Miller and won with no jib which was the same point I was getting toward with Smyth, who has won a lot of cat races with tiny or no jib at all...

But yes,  back to the tracker....

14 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

Yes, Randy Miller and won with no jib....

Look again in the drifting parts of the race, which is what we are and were talking about originally........

But the tracker.... what happened?

4 hours ago, boomer said:

Because the Beaver, TPSR, TGtH, TSUaD, the Trickster, and TEQ positioned themselves better early to build an early lead. Team SLAG has proven to be persistent since then, as have all the front and secondary leaders, because they're really racing and staying on the task, as has the fleet past Cape Caution including Narwhale,  Ketchikan Yacht Club,  Dazed & Confused and High Seas Drifter. The third pack of five in Johnstone Strait off of West Cracroft Island, have appeared to really be racing and staying on the task, but only racing for bragging rights among their fleet of five.  Usually there are only about half a dozen really racing or shall we say racers. This year has seen the largest amount  of competitors, that are really trying to race - rather then be stunters: who are trying to survive as well as sail the course. Till they make classes for mono, multi-hull, kayakers, SUPs, rowers - that's all this race will ever be, a handful of boats capable of winning the whole thing and crews really trying to do so - and those stunters who are just trying to sail, paddle or row the course - so they can prove they did it.

So anyone who has ever run a marathon or even an Ironman, but that didn't have a realistic expectation of a podium finish, is a "stunter?"

• Like 1

The tracker problems are really taking something away from the on-line experience, it's too bad.

• Like 1

Horns is out with a broken rudder, TPSR are out on the course, but not moving at all and Beaver is so far back and going slow....

Has this been scripted to make up for tracker failures?

And if the winds outside are as predicted, I hope Educated Guess stay inside or holes up somewhere....  Offshore in 35-40 knots is not where you want to be in any small(ish) boat, let alone a trapezing Melges 24.....

15 minutes ago, RandyM81 said:

So anyone who has ever run a marathon or even an Ironman, but that didn't have a realistic expectation of a podium finish, is a "stunter?"

First year I have followed this race and what a refreshing event it is. We're it not on the other coast (which btw looks just beautiful) I would be looking at suitable boats and cooking up cycling systems. Tired of that w/l thing years ago, but this may have me re-engaged, podiums are nice but this is more about finishing I feel.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DHFiend said:

Yes, Randy Miller and won with no jib which was the same point I was getting toward with Smyth, who has won a lot of cat races with tiny or no jib at all...

But yes,  back to the tracker....

Actually we built a giant jib specifically for R2AK that tacked to the end of the bowsprit, sheeted to the main beam and had a halyard lock at the hounds. It was a weapon in 0-7kts and basically useless thereafter. Loads were unpleasant and always made me nervous.

My simple theory on very light air sails is that you want the largest sail that you can keep shape in (i.e. isn't collapsing on itself).

Screenshot_20190609-170927.thumb.png.b8d970619f36f7e8a12ccc909b161d7b.png

578ebb64eb2a9.image.jpg.007c43713c62ad61c01bd87535f9a0d1.jpg

• Like 4