The Girls’ pedalling stations off the stern could also be vulnerable to breaking waves?

Edit:

Mind you it would help to get more weight aft if driving hard downwind???!!!!

Posted (edited)

At 9:19 pm local time Angry Beaver has their tracking working again and along with Shut Up And Drive, both boats are up in the 10 knot range as the wind is apparently starting to moderate from it's peak so the outside makes for ease of navigation, not having to dodge rock. Logs are something else though and in the dying light they would be nigh impossible to pick out until it's too late. The girls went inside and there are some rock hazards there but with the chart plotter they would be easy to avoid. The wave action in the channel east of Aristazabal tends to be a lot less than on the outside so that's a plus. 

Edit: Angry Beaver is doing a horizon job on the rest of the fleet.

Edited by Sailor John
See "Edit": more info

They been showing that on the leader board since this afternoon - tracker down again.  Suspect they're in front of the Beaver.

Good discussions about the lightwind sails; we have used "blade" bec of rating - but in the light we lose big time to those who has a really big foresail - so we try a big windseeker next time.

Short tempered Beavers has 135 mi (is that nm or 1,604m?)  - and are doing 9,5 at 04.30.  The winds should pick up - som they will be in in 12-15hours? 

Isnt it possible to call  mobile or use VHF for PSR ? 

Don't think there's much cell service in this area. Even the AIS transmission there works only over satellite, as VHF requires some relay station to be in range.

2 hours ago, SeaGul said:

Good discussions about the lightwind sails; we have used "blade" bec of rating - but in the light we lose big time to those who has a really big foresail - so we try a big windseeker next time.

Just be aware of the loadings. I had similar experience and concerns with my code zero as Randy did. In fact, my sailmaker advised me not to use it in more than 10 knots “upwind” otherwise it would take the rig out of the boat.

That said, it still made a good chicken chute, especially single handed.

What rating system are you? 

MOCRA  rates spinnakers as >60% half width.

OMR rates screechers as >50% half width and spinnakers as >75%. They also rate drifters differently as well, if the cloth weight is less than 64gm/m2.

You might be able to compromise on a true limited use lightweight genoa in order to avoid full rating increase.

The other thing worth investigating is the possibility of a long luff narrow tall boy (ie high clewed reacher) not larger than your biggest rated headsail, off the sprit. Again it depends on how your rating system rates staysails if/when you use it in conjunction with your rated jib.

Yes aware of the loads - think 10kn is over max. We use a system derivated from Texel -  its tricked into be possible til adapt to the NOR rating as the monos use here. 

We get from 1,47 to 1,61 - if its measured like a genoa  - and I think that sail will be - its 49m2 very light  compared to our panzer jib at 17,5.  - but really the rating - we dont care - the fastest time is the goal. Reynolds 33 - TRT 1200 GT and  TP52 + Clubswan 50 - Open 60  is the opposition.

The Girls seem to have found their own private hole, maybe some adverse current on the corner? Looks like they are coming out to cover Educated Guess and find more pressure. Shut Up is long gone. Meanwhile it looks as though Trickster is going to stay inside and is doing pretty well......

Past midnight here, I’m off to bed....... I won’t be surprised to find TPSR finished by the time I get up in the morning....

11 hours ago, Norse Horse said:
Image may contain: outdoor and water

That's awful to see, but also not surprising.  The boat that they are using (Tatiana) was often left with it's sails just sitting out and baking in the sun for weeks or sometimes months at a time.  Luckily there isn't a lot of UV in Seattle, but there is enough to make that not a good idea.  

It's a beautiful boat and in other ways seemed well maintained (they stored it on float bags to keep it out of the water).  I think there are new owners taking her on this race?

Gear failures always suck.  Hopefully they have enough other rags to keep going (the tracker seems to indicate that they do).

Ugh, now SLAG doesn't have a working tracker either!  The tracker failure rate this year is killing me.  I don't think we'll really know anything until they arrive at the finish.

16 hours ago, DHFiend said:

There are a few reasons the boat in the videos are not using bigger headsails...  Both the M24 and M32 are fractional one-design boats, and while the M32 used is masthead reaching kite last year, neither of those boats carry or have been modified to use a Masthead Genoa in their configuration. I think there are only 3-4 boats in the PNW that are designed, set up and rated for them, and i think they are all the older TP52s that had the original gear per MEDCUP in 2006/07/08 before they were banished.  The MG sail is very hard on the boat, had a very narrow wind range and is ruined very quickly when used over it, needs some sort of track and deck reinforcement in the cockpit to lead the sail to (which i dont think the OD boats want to mod for this "race") and the mast would need to be designed to support the load of a genoa pulling from the masthead. This pic posted above was a great example, so i reposted it,  you can see the track needed in the back of the boat, and while not needed with maybe the M24 or M32, bigger boats have to use a hydro ram or huge purchase system just to keep the luff tight since you can not use the luff foil as it is fractional. Plus you would be spending money on sail that you might only ever use once since there is no rating system for this race, where i know that the TP52s to have them on board was almost a minute a mile penalty. In 5-10 they are killer, anything over that they start to rip stuff off the boat....

92FEB57A-1D41-4B83-BEAA-CEA60BF87AC7.jpeg.fbee5ff6ee16e42931cb4416a4c93078.jpeg

This is more wind than the very light air that we're talking about - here the sails are flying and the crew is on the high side. We're talking about wind where you can hardly tell that there is any wind, and the crew is on the low side.

15 hours ago, RandyM81 said:

Actually we built a giant jib specifically for R2AK that tacked to the end of the bowsprit, sheeted to the main beam and had a halyard lock at the hounds. It was a weapon in 0-7kts and basically useless thereafter. Loads were unpleasant and always made me nervous.

My simple theory on very light air sails is that you want the largest sail that you can keep shape in (i.e. isn't collapsing on itself).

Screenshot_20190609-170927.thumb.png.b8d970619f36f7e8a12ccc909b161d7b.png

578ebb64eb2a9.image.jpg.007c43713c62ad61c01bd87535f9a0d1.jpg

Randy is spot on - and sometimes a smaller sail will fly when a larger one won't.

• Like 1

Giving the horns broke their rudder in hunter channel and are stopped at shearwater trying to fix it

11 hours ago, boomer said:

Capture.thumb.PNG.1b4ccee1cbe8a7cae71566a32717ba2b.PNG

I think the directness measurement ends up being a proxy for whose tracker updates the least.  Since boats get a perfect direct line, even through land, between tracker updates.  That's why Angry Beaver is so far above the line.

52 minutes ago, Alex W said:

That's awful to see, but also not surprising.  The boat that they are using (Tatiana) was often left with it's sails just sitting out and baking in the sun for weeks or sometimes months at a time.  Luckily there isn't a lot of UV in Seattle, but there is enough to make that not a good idea.  

It's a beautiful boat and in other ways seemed well maintained (they stored it on float bags to keep it out of the water).  I think there are new owners taking her on this race?

Gear failures always suck.  Hopefully they have enough other rags to keep going (the tracker seems to indicate that they do).

That kevlar/film sail does have a vintage look to it.   Even more so with the film breakdown.

- Stumbling

The Seaforth sharpie and the MBR J24 are making a timely crossing of Cape Caution today in fair winds from astern. Headwinds and 2 to 3m seas await the other teams doing that crossing.

Cape Caution is such an ugly profile on the chart, like an old witch. Navionics Webapp

I hate the tracker as much as that FB popup to sign in. It constantly pops up for non fb members, there is no need for that misery for the pre fb generations. Some of the boats have ais like Dark Horse. MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic

I just talked to Duncan on Dragon. At 09:30 they were to the West of Porcher Island. 

• Like 2

From the FB feed.

A text from Pear Shaped Racing reports that as of 8am PST they were 100 miles from Ketchikan after going through "heinous conditions last night." All safe.

3 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

I just talked to Duncan on Dragon. At 09:30 they were to the West of Porcher Island

That would put them significantly behind Angry Beaver! I thought they were far in front. 

Wondering where SLAG is. Last ping was 0310... I understand their choice to go inside last night was due to 3 broaches, and blowing up a kite...  

Baller move by Shut Up to go outside. Should be an intense race for 3rd. 

22 minutes ago, Karstan said:

That would put them significantly behind Angry Beaver! I thought they were far in front. 

Yeah -  but if they had 100mi left at 08.00 - they should have like 80+ now - and Beavers have 70 - could be a close call. 

28 minutes ago, D Wayne G said:

I just talked to Duncan on Dragon. At 09:30 they were to the West of Porcher Island. 

Did they know where they where compared to Beavers? 

May actually be ahead of AB

Drag race to the finish! 
New text from Team Pear Shaped Racing: "62nm out and we're sending it. Speeds of 18+."

AB were doing around 9-10 at 67 miles out according to tracker

• Like 2

This is nail biting! Hope the beavers are first to ring the bell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alctel said:

May actually be ahead of AB

AB were doing around 9-10 at 67 miles out according to tracker

18kn will do it! - but there can be less wind closer to the finish - will somebody go out to meet with a boat -  it will be daylight when they finish...

• Like 1

Yes Daniel will be out there to see them. Cue the Ketchikams...

• Like 1

Till then, a short commercial break, sponsored by Hinterland Who's Who....

If PSR had 62mi 10min ago - and Beavers 64mi 27min ago - they should be neck and neck - but with the trimaran at almost double speed.... they can see each other...

• Like 1

Now they are talking about the trackers shows miles - 1,604km - and that PSR has nm - 1,852m - WTF - then someone talkes about Beavers at 45nm til finish... get crazy here!!!

2 hours ago, Alex W said:

Bill Quigley is the builder and owner. Bill brought the boat from CA to Seattle! He's a great guy and I believe a creative engineer

Beaver 59miles 15min agi - so its about 47nm now . PSR 62nm 30 min ago - so should be like 57 now - 10nm behind -  Beavers have 5 hours to go at least, but PSR should be able to catch them in 2-3 hours. 

And then there the choice of where to sail - Beavers looks to go outside Duke. 

No team working harder than the Alberg 23 in these conditions. Not your first choice to self propel.

Screenshot_2019-06-10 Race Tracker.png

11 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

No team working harder than the Alberg 23 in these conditions. Not your first choice to self propel.

Screenshot_2019-06-10 Race Tracker.png

Looks as if they are throwing in the towel, or going backwards w/ the tide!

The salmon fishing is very good there too.

No new reports of Dragon?  

Beaver has about 32nm to finish - going  11kn in the right direction.  

• Like 1

Look at Cam 4 and 5 facing down the channel / across to the airport.

SE 10 mph at the airport. Likely a few more mph on the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zonker said:

I hate the tracker

This particular tracker (assuming it's the same one used for Swiftsure, Patos etc.) relies on the basic tracking function of SPOT transponders, which we have been instructed in those events (and per the manual) turns itself off after 24 hours, so you have to manually reset it, typically when you round a particular mark. I'm not sure if such instructions were provided for this event, but regardless I can imagine it being easy to forget to do so in the delirium of longer events such as this. 

26 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

No new reports of Dragon?  

Beaver has about 32nm to finish - going  11kn in the right direction.  

Looks like the Beav will make Happy Hour in Ketchikan .. IF they maintain their 11kts of VMG! Will the breeze follow them up the channel

1 minute ago, Zonker said:

Look at Cam 4 and 5 facing down the channel / across to the airport.

Looks like breeze all the way in for now!

4 hours ago, D Wayne G said:

If they're not too busy and you have text or voice comms with Duncan, it would be cool for us spectators if they would attempt to manually reset their tracker on PSRT.  Apparently it may manually shut itself off after X hours.  tnx.

8 minutes ago, sleddog said:

If they're not too busy and you have text or voice comms with Duncan, it would be cool for us spectators if they would attempt to manually reset their tracker on PSRT.  Apparently it may manually shut itself off after X hours.  tnx.

Surely, if that is the case, then everyone in the race should already know that?

7 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Surely, if that is the case, then everyone in the race should already know that?

We also had one once that was just plain flaky and wouldn't keep tracking no matter what we did.

If the failure to reset trackers is intentional then the R2AK has jumped the shark.

4 minutes ago, BobJ said:

If the failure to reset trackers is intentional then the R2AK has jumped the shark.

If the use of 'jump the shark' is intentional, than BobJ has jumped the shark.

5 minutes ago, gspot said:

We also had one once that was just plain flaky and wouldn't keep tracking no matter what we did.

There must be lots of flakey ones out there this year?

• Like 1

That was my point, but apparently you have to spell things out for Mr. Clean.

2 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

There must be lots of flakey ones out there this year?

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

It's 2019 - cars are starting to drive themselves yet we can't get reliable GPS signal from a single-task machine wtf.

• Like 2

Had a few misbehaving in swiftsure this year as well - they aren't great, and I think some of them are getting pretty old

1 minute ago, Tito said:

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

It's 2019 - cars are starting to drive themselves yet we can't get reliable GPS signal from a single-task machine wtf.

If you read the Race Boss poetic approach of this you almost agree that its ok....   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tito said:

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

Fried splitters. I warned everyone it was highly contagious!!!!

11 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Fried splitters. I warned everyone it was highly contagious!!!!

This is known as a 'Fried Splitter' in some areas.

a twist on the game day hot dog and perfectly crave-worthy. full recipe at www.thepigandquill.com. #gameday #hotdog #nitratefree #recipe #superbowl

16 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

If you read the Race Boss poetic approach of this you almost agree that its ok....   

No.

• Like 1

Tracker says wind is SE @11 in Ketchikan! Is TPSR in site or close tonthe Beaver. Anybody have eyes in Ketchikan?

Wind has picked up as reported by the buoys. Inshore has reported stronger winds, allowing the Olson 30's to take a lead on the KYC underdogs. North Hecate is also getting the pressure first so no hope of the fleet compressing for div b.

Looks like a plucky choice to take the J24 outside to Shearwater thru that tricky entry.

The Santana 20 will hit headwinds and wind waves before making Cape Caution will they battle it out tonight?

The Malcom Tennant cat having a slow day in QCS, hope he got some sleep this aft waiting for wind.

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=01&siteID=06205

Go Wingnuts, beware the temptations of Campbell River...

3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

This is known as a 'Fried Splitter' in some areas.

a twist on the game day hot dog and perfectly crave-worthy. full recipe at www.thepigandquill.com. #gameday #hotdog #nitratefree #recipe #superbowl

Multiplying already I see.....

2 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Multiplying already I see.....

I bet one of those would taste pretty good right now in Ketchikan!

Beaver is down to 7kn now and 14mi to go.....

But why measure distance at sea in MILES???

Is something coming at web 6 know?

3 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

Cheaper?

8 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

....But why measure distance at sea in MILES???

Yes I know, it should be furlongs..... after all, it is a race.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amati said:

Cheaper?

Boys on the Beaver must be suiting up for the biking sprint to the finish. Wonder were TPSR is?

10 minutes ago, SeaGul said:

The R2AK has always measured the distance in statute miles. Makes it sound farther! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amati said:

Might the Schock show up soon on the Point camera?

Not certain of that location I don't see the pilings at the entry like the Fish House cam.

Likely a live fb feed soon.

The race between SUAD and SLAG for the finish should be exciting as long as they stay visible on the tracker!

Beaver Nuggets! Get your sea salted caramel beaver nuggets...acck!

Image result for itchy beaver meme

1 minute ago, Norse Horse said:

Stay well away from those things! They are addicting. Talk about 'can't eat just one'.

1 hour ago, gspot said:

This particular tracker (assuming it's the same one used for Swiftsure, Patos etc.) relies on the basic tracking function of SPOT transponders, which we have been instructed in those events (and per the manual) turns itself off after 24 hours, so you have to manually reset it, typically when you round a particular mark. I'm not sure if such instructions were provided for this event, but regardless I can imagine it being easy to forget to do so in the delirium of longer events such as this. 

We were told during orientation that the Gen 3 trackers issued do not need to be reset. 

4 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Does fossiised beaver poo go well with fried splitters? Asking for a friend.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Nasty. But addictive.

Where Angry Beaver will be in a few minutes the flood is predicted to be 1.3 Kt @ 2:18 pm (Edit: Alaska time), increasing, then with slack to ebb at the same place approx 4:55 pm. 

Current at Saxman (approx entrance to Tongass Narrows) is ebb (Edit: flood) 0.6 knots and will change to ebb at 3:18 pm. 

Times are approximate based on predictions. 

(Edit: Haste makes waste!)

From FB:

Jim Dahl called in via radio: He sees a sail just off Blank Islands, about 10 miles from the finish line.

That matches the Beavers on the tracker... The question is where is TPS, in front or behind? Maybe they left Annette island to port and are about to meet up? Maybe they already went by and are about to finish? 

The suspense is killing me!

10 minutes ago, dsackman said:

We were told during orientation that the Gen 3 trackers issued do not need to be reset. 

Interesting - the manual (https://www.findmespot.ca/downloads/SPOTGen3_User_Guide.pdf) for the Gen 3 trackers says:

"With Basic Tracking, messages are sent every 10 minutes for 24 hours while moving, or until cancelled. To re-engage Tracking after 24 hours has passed, press and hold the Track button until the function light blinks green."

And they were still instructing everybody to reset them a couple of weeks ago at Swiftsure.

• Like 2

A sail is visible on the webcam on the horizon left of the piling.  It has moved from right to left in last 2 frames

1 minute ago, kokopelli said:

A sail is visible on the webcam on the horizon left of the piling.  It has moved from right to left in last 2 frames

Which Cam?  I’m putting off yard work to watch this!

R2AK FB live now