Rasputin22

Ghost boat in the Gulf

"Sails stowed," but it looks like someone has set a bit of the jib.  The name would be a bit ironic, if the owner is deceased within.  Or prophetic.  

Looks like “My Time” does it not? Maybe edit post so the right folks don’t skip over it. 

46 minutes ago, toddster said:

"Sails stowed," but it looks like someone has set a bit of the jib.

Those roller furlers come undone all the time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

functioning electronics? How do they figure that?

Most likely the AIS, or maybe they could observe the auto pilot operating? 

He might be deceased down below, or just fast asleep! They said they used the ships horn to try to see if anyone was on board. I remember it took my 4 blasts from my huge horn to wake up a sleeping bridge operator years ago.

36 minutes ago, OutofOffice said:

functioning electronics? How do they figure that?

It looks like the chart plotter on port side of cockpit is turned on.

To quote Jeff Spicoli:

If I'm here and you're here, doesn't that make it our time? …

• Like 3

Is that a Yankee 30?  Looks pretty well sorted.  Hope he's napping.  

Sabre 34, I heard. 

Not a Yankee 30, though it fooled me for 1/2 a second. The transom is the wrong shape and the coach roof is too hard-edged.

Yea yeah, drifting sailboat, no one's around...but what about that other story at the bottom of the WKRG News 5 page?

Ex-Alabama Governor Bentley and former mistress spotted in Vegas together

https://www.wkrg.com/news/state-regional/ex-alabama-governor-bentley-and-former-mistress-spotted-in-vegas/1599537973

Wonder if this might somehow be that dude that went missing from Virginia Beach?

2 hours ago, See Level said:

Hailing port on the OP's photo is small and partially covered by the boarding ladder, but looks a lot like Solomons Island MD. 

• Like 1

Must be the same boat, take a look at the instruments on starboard side.

I hope the skipper is just having a deep nap!!!

1 hour ago, duncan (the other one) said:

better picture. Looks shipshape to me: storm boards in, lashed main, furling genoa trimmed.  Definitely same boat.

MyTimesailboat_1542302932185_62298388_ve

"Same boat" as what? The one missing from Va Beach?  I live close to Solomon's Island, Md. I showed the pics and article to my local peeps but none of them know the boat.

same boat as advertised for sale in the link of see level's post above,
at justsailboats.com, for that boat, based in solomons island, maryland

if you go to the advert you will see that the starboard cockpit instruments are identically,
and in my opinion, unusually positioned to those in the coastguard photo

the fact that the chartplotter screen seems to be functioning, on the port side of the coachroof,
suggests that the batteries were still fine, and perhaps the rack of PV panels over the cockpit
could be keeping it running for a while...

if it is a solo skipper, could be sleeping, MOB, or medical collapse....

hope it pans out

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

"Same boat" as what? The one missing from Va Beach?  I live close to Solomon's Island, Md. I showed the pics and article to my local peeps but none of them know the boat.

The Va Beach/east coast search was for Hugh Blankenship, age 82,  different boat, different name, different length (29'):

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/coast-guard-suspends-search-for-missing-82-year-old-boater-last-seen-at-rudee-inlet/1576941105

So "My Time" can't be that boat.  How she got from Chesapeake to Fla Panhandle Gulf (if indeed the same boat from Maryland) has to involve a human being, you can't drift against the Gulf Stream.  So I hope it's a human who was asleep with a little handkerchief of jib unfurled,  and unaware of all the concern..

kinda surprised the coasties don't yet have a drone they can fly in and have a look-see, or perhaps they aren't ready to reveal it yet.

When weather permitted, the Coast Guard conducted another flyover and saw a person on board.

“They saw someone on board the vessel waving to them, so there was no distress,” a Coast Guard watchstander said Friday.

Seems as if the skipper must have been taking a nap the first time the USCG tried to hail him.   Never mind.

• Like 1

Ah.  Bueno, happy ending.

How's he going to cash in on his newfound SA fame??  ;-)

3 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

He must be emulating Alex Thomson...

I think you misspelled emulsifying.

• Like 1

Maybe I should have been trying to spell 'emasculating'?

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I think you misspelled emulsifying.

Okay, for a closing bookend to this ultimately happy story,  here's the news bulletin from Coast Guard Eighth District in New Orleans, confirming all is copacetic:

From To Subject Received Size Categories 
Coast Guard Eighth District Heartland News Forbes, Tom [EXTERNAL] Update: Coast Guard responded to vessel adrift in Gulf of Mexico Sun 3:49 PM 25 KB  

Update: Coast Guard responded to vessel adrift in Gulf of Mexico

NEW ORLEANS -- The Coast Guard responded to a vessel adrift in the Gulf of Mexico approximately 80 nautical miles south of Cape San Blas, Florida, Thursday.

The sailing vessel My Time was determined to not be in distress after a Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile HC-144 Ocean Sentry air crew identified a person at the helm actively sailing the vessel. No indications of a distress situation were observed. 

-USCG-

Okay, you, a singlehander, are going below to take a daytime nap.  How to keep potential good Samaritans from "rescuing" you, or getting concerned when you don't awaken and come up on deck when someone is nearby and wondering what's up?:

--Two round shapes in the foretriangle, "Not under Command"?  (most sailors don't even know what day shapes are, or mean, but anyway, it'd save the Coast Guard both fuel and angst)?

--"Securite Securite,(description and lat/long of S/V), I'm going below for a nice lie-down, I know I'm violating Rule 5 but can't stay awake any longer, if you see me, please go around and don't report me, as I don't need help.  Also, to concerned traffic, please don't run over me"?

--Radio or phone the Coast Guard RCC and tell them you're going nap-time, please don't rescue me, and I'll call back when I'm back awake"?   Is that "TMI" for Charlie Golf, who have to tend to active situations and may not want or need all those extra comms?

--Big sign displayed on cabin top, "I'm fine, move along, nothing to see here"??   (apologies to Officer Barbrady ;-) 

Or does this fact pattern happen so seldom, let's all just leave it alone?    What do you all (especially singlehanders) think?  I would guess the two vertical black ball shapes (or N.U.C. lights at night) would be the most practical and least "disruptive to others" solution??

Nola, thanks for the follow up on the ghost boat. I had a couple of unwanted rescue efforts out of New Orleans, one of which had a 'happy ending' as well.

This story reminds me a a time that I was out sailing with a girl on a Hobie Cat on Lake Pontchartrain on a hot summer day. We were well out in the lake with few boats in sight and there was very little wind. The girl had bought the boat a couple of months earlier from the Hobie dealer for whom I worked. Part of my duties there were to give new buyers an intro on how to trailer, rig, launch and even sail their new boats. This girl was a quick learner and very enthusiastic (in more ways than one...) and she had asked me to come out and check up on some of her newly installed equipment to the boat. 

She had packed a great picnic lunch with wine and further appetite enhancers and we had a great lunch. I commented that her picnic basket/cooler was a great addition to the boats functionality and she smiled and told me that was just the tip of the iceberg. She pointed out a nylon backbackers string hammock that was strung between the mast base under the trampoline back to the little SS bracket on the aft beam which is the tie off for the traveller line. We had let me mainsheet off during lunch and the boat was barely drifting along so I flipped over the main beam into the warm water and crawled into the hammock. She sheeted in and got the boat moving once again and it was a great way to cool off on that hot muggy day.

Next thing I know is I hear the hiking stick flip up and over the rear beam into the water and then the girl pulls off her suit and dives over the front and soon wiggles her way into the hammock with me! My trunks were soon off and poked up through the tramp lacings and I was introduced to her new nautical skills. The light winds and calm waters permitted such antics with little or no attention to the boat which was happy to reach along just fast enough to keep steerageway.

Well the connection of this story to the unintended rescue which was the original subject of this thread is that it wasn't long until we hear a motorboat approaching and then slowing down with excited voices taking measures to intercepting the abandoned HobieCat 16, which has its trampoline raised about 6 inches off the hull decks by little pylons. That let us watch the approach of the fishermen through that gap without us being seen or our antics in the hammock. I started to reach out and wave them off with a yell but my skipper told me to keep quiet and lets see how this rescue/salvage ended. She waited until one guy from the fishing boat was about to step aboard with a towline and then rolled out butt naked from under the trampoline yelling, 'Jeez, can't a girl get laid out on the lake without a bunch on Perverts showing up?'

That job had some fine perks...

• Like 4

I assume you were smart enough to marry that one?

How many times have you been married, Tom?

I like that girl!

She scared me a bit to be honest. She had been back into the shop a couple of times after she had bought the boat. She had been quite flirty when I took her out on her new boat for her trial ride and I was sure to be the first to get to the door to welcome her into the shop on her visits! She liked coming in late on Fridays just before we closed. My boss was a real party animal had finely honed instincts for a woman on the prowl. He told me on her first visit that after I rang up her purchase I should clock out and take her out for a drink. She would buy small accessory items for the boat like a WIndex or chicken lines and say that she was eager to install them and try them out on Saturday morning. I guess I was supposed to provide 'service after the sale' but ignored the signals and the bosses lurid suggestions.

About the third Friday evening last minute shopping, she had a young guy in tow and she led him around like a puppy, asking if he like this or that in our sportswear section. I asked if there was anything I could help them with and she said that she was taking her friend for his first sail in the morning and she wanted to buy him some gloves to protect his tender hands. The kid was handsome in a boyish way and after chatting with him a bit it was obvious he was not a sailor. He seemed a bit nervous about the girl himself and he told me he had met her at one of the waterfront clubs the previous weekend and she had made the sailing invite right off the bat. That made me kick myself a bit because by then I was probably more aware of what the outcome could potentially be than he was!  She sort of rubbed in it on me as she gleefully paid for the boytoy's new gloves and led him off to the club with a wink and a wiggle as she pushed him out the door ahead of her. Then the little minx gave me the 'call me' hand signal and whisper as she left me standing dumbfounded. My boss was watching the whole thing and he burst out laughing at me which didn't help...

I moped for a couple of weeks as she didn't come in the shop but finally I got what would probably be my last chance and am I glad with my bosses prodding I took it! He had threatened to fire me for not attending to our 'qualified customers' needs. I had no idea just how qualified she was!

• Like 2

I hope you were really young.

That's the only excuse I can think of for such cluelessness. :lol:

Sloop, 

I wasn't really young but was still at that stage where one is slow on the uptake as far a reading the signals. New Orleans eventually helped me get over that, what a great city to be young and single with a fleet of all sizes and brands of catamarans at ones disposal. My boss was of the opinion that a young man could never sail too many catamarans or take too many young ladies out on them flying in their bikinis (sometimes not) on the trapeze past the waterfront restaurants and the seawalls out at the NO Lakefront. Great advertising for the business.

Tom was right I should have married the innovative SCOTW that started this story. I somehow got the impression that she was still in college and when she stopped by her house to pick up the aformentioned picnic basket and well equipped Hobie 16, it was pretty obvious that it was her parents house and I figured she was just home for the weekends and sailing and was at college during the week. She didn't waste a lot of time going over personal histories...

My boss told me to hire her for the shop with the summer break coming up and to also get her out racing on the weekends as a young cute girl doing the regattas was a great promotion for the sailing clubs and lifestyle. She stopped coming around the shop by summer though and I was hesitant to call the house number and speak with her parents and since this was pre-cell phone I just figured she had gone 'walkabout' for the summer break. 

I had hoped that our long fall sailing season would bring her back into the shop after school started but still no sign of her. I drove past the house and saw the Hobie 16 still parked in the side driveway but was surprised to see a FOR SALE sign on it! Surely she had not lost such grand enthusiasm for cat sailing so quickly. I told the boss and he asked if there was a phone number of the sale sign and if so why didn't I write it down to begin with? Like I said, a bit slow on the uptake. He made me go get the number so he could make a low ball bid on the boat. I had to get out of my car and walk up the drive to get the faded phone number when the door opened and I was hoping that a reunion was pending. However it was a lady who asked if I was interested in the boat. Obviously the girls Mom so I stuttered around a bit and said yes and asked why the boat was being sold. She just said that it was no longer being used and they needed to get rid of it. That made me think that the daughter had perhaps graduated and moved away so I asked if it was her daughters boat and that I had met her at one of the local regattas. Mom confirmed that it was her daughters and I asked if she had indeed graduated and move somewhere else and Mom was taken back a bit and said that her daughter had graduated several years ago! 

She then asked how well I had known her daughter (GULP!) and I said just from sailing and then Mom dropped the bomb by saying that her daughter had some inoperable illness from which she had recently died!  Mom said that the Hobie had been such a source of joy and relief those past months for her daughter and it was hard for them to sell it but was a constant reminder of the loss. I was horrified at the news and then was amazed that she had never once complained or shown fear or regret knowing that her days were numbered and was determined to live what time she had left to its fullest. I'm sure if I had realised the whole situation I would have gotten really hung up in one way or another and that made me just more grateful for the great times we did spend together. 

Sorry that this story did end up having such a tragic conclusion, but it did indeed make me grow up in many ways and accept what life brings us.

• Like 2

One morning about a hundred miles off the southern California coast I was awoken by an approaching EA6B Prowler. I was able to jump up and throw the hatch open in time to see it pass directly overhead in a high bank, I could see all four helmets in the cockpit looking down at me. I assume the morning wake up call was to see if anything was amiss.

The rest of the day I had the pleasure of watching the Abe Lincoln launching and recovering planes while orbiting around me a couple miles away.

Rasputin when I see those bells ringing in your avatar I always click and you never dissapoint

you definitely have to write a book

4 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Sloop, 

I wasn't really young but was still at that stage where one is slow on the uptake as far a reading the signals. New Orleans eventually helped me get over that, what a great city to be young and single with a fleet of all sizes and brands of catamarans at ones disposal. My boss was of the opinion that a young man could never sail too many catamarans or take too many young ladies out on them flying in their bikinis (sometimes not) on the trapeze past the waterfront restaurants and the seawalls out at the NO Lakefront. Great advertising for the business.

Tom was right I should have married the innovative SCOTW that started this story. I somehow got the impression that she was still in college and when she stopped by her house to pick up the aformentioned picnic basket and well equipped Hobie 16, it was pretty obvious that it was her parents house and I figured she was just home for the weekends and sailing and was at college during the week. She didn't waste a lot of time going over personal histories...

My boss told me to hire her for the shop with the summer break coming up and to also get her out racing on the weekends as a young cute girl doing the regattas was a great promotion for the sailing clubs and lifestyle. She stopped coming around the shop by summer though and I was hesitant to call the house number and speak with her parents and since this was pre-cell phone I just figured she had gone 'walkabout' for the summer break. 

I had hoped that our long fall sailing season would bring her back into the shop after school started but still no sign of her. I drove past the house and saw the Hobie 16 still parked in the side driveway but was surprised to see a FOR SALE sign on it! Surely she had not lost such grand enthusiasm for cat sailing so quickly. I told the boss and he asked if there was a phone number of the sale sign and if so why didn't I write it down to begin with? Like I said, a bit slow on the uptake. He made me go get the number so he could make a low ball bid on the boat. I had to get out of my car and walk up the drive to get the faded phone number when the door opened and I was hoping that a reunion was pending. However it was a lady who asked if I was interested in the boat. Obviously the girls Mom so I stuttered around a bit and said yes and asked why the boat was being sold. She just said that it was no longer being used and they needed to get rid of it. That made me think that the daughter had perhaps graduated and moved away so I asked if it was her daughters boat and that I had met her at one of the local regattas. Mom confirmed that it was her daughters and I asked if she had indeed graduated and move somewhere else and Mom was taken back a bit and said that her daughter had graduated several years ago! 

She then asked how well I had known her daughter (GULP!) and I said just from sailing and then Mom dropped the bomb by saying that her daughter had some inoperable illness from which she had recently died!  Mom said that the Hobie had been such a source of joy and relief those past months for her daughter and it was hard for them to sell it but was a constant reminder of the loss. I was horrified at the news and then was amazed that she had never once complained or shown fear or regret knowing that her days were numbered and was determined to live what time she had left to its fullest. I'm sure if I had realised the whole situation I would have gotten really hung up in one way or another and that made me just more grateful for the great times we did spend together. 

Sorry that this story did end up having such a tragic conclusion, but it did indeed make me grow up in many ways and accept what life brings us.

Talk about a bittersweet story.

Not exactly ordinary memories.

Holy smokes Rasper,

At first it read like you were mocking one of Vwop's truncated tales.  You are definitely a master story teller.

6 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Sloop, 

She then asked how well I had known her daughter (GULP!) and I said just from sailing and then Mom dropped the bomb by saying that her daughter had some inoperable illness from which she had recently died!  Mom said that the Hobie had been such a source of joy and relief those past months for her daughter and it was hard for them to sell it but was a constant reminder of the loss. I was horrified at the news and then was amazed that she had never once complained or shown fear or regret knowing that her days were numbered and was determined to live what time she had left to its fullest. I'm sure if I had realised the whole situation I would have gotten really hung up in one way or another  made me just more grateful for the great times we did spend together. 

The moral of the story?

"Live every day like it is your last.  Cause one morning you are going to wake up and finally be right."

I have lived by this credo for 30 years.   It works.  No regrets.  Compare to my SIL.   2 weeks from retirement and she dies of a 2nd bout of leukemia in 4 days.  Girl never smoked, drank, spoke ill of anyone or went partying.   Screwed in technical terms.

Anyways, back to the subject.  Lets hope our Sabre sailor is half as tough has his boat. If so, he will be just fine...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 12:51 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Nola, thanks for the follow up on the ghost boat. I had a couple of unwanted rescue efforts out of New Orleans, one of which had a 'happy ending' as well.

This story reminds me a a time that I was out sailing with a girl on a Hobie Cat on Lake Pontchartrain on a hot summer day. We were well out in the lake with few boats in sight and there was very little wind. The girl had bought the boat a couple of months earlier from the Hobie dealer for whom I worked. Part of my duties there were to give new buyers an intro on how to trailer, rig, launch and even sail their new boats. This girl was a quick learner and very enthusiastic (in more ways than one...) and she had asked me to come out and check up on some of her newly installed equipment to the boat. 

She had packed a great picnic lunch with wine and further appetite enhancers and we had a great lunch. I commented that her picnic basket/cooler was a great addition to the boats functionality and she smiled and told me that was just the tip of the iceberg. She pointed out a nylon backbackers string hammock that was strung between the mast base under the trampoline back to the little SS bracket on the aft beam which is the tie off for the traveller line. We had let me mainsheet off during lunch and the boat was barely drifting along so I flipped over the main beam into the warm water and crawled into the hammock. She sheeted in and got the boat moving once again and it was a great way to cool off on that hot muggy day.

Next thing I know is I hear the hiking stick flip up and over the rear beam into the water and then the girl pulls off her suit and dives over the front and soon wiggles her way into the hammock with me! My trunks were soon off and poked up through the tramp lacings and I was introduced to her new nautical skills. The light winds and calm waters permitted such antics with little or no attention to the boat which was happy to reach along just fast enough to keep steerageway.

Well the connection of this story to the unintended rescue which was the original subject of this thread is that it wasn't long until we hear a motorboat approaching and then slowing down with excited voices taking measures to intercepting the abandoned HobieCat 16, which has its trampoline raised about 6 inches off the hull decks by little pylons. That let us watch the approach of the fishermen through that gap without us being seen or our antics in the hammock. I started to reach out and wave them off with a yell but my skipper told me to keep quiet and lets see how this rescue/salvage ended. She waited until one guy from the fishing boat was about to step aboard with a towline and then rolled out butt naked from under the trampoline yelling, 'Jeez, can't a girl get laid out on the lake without a bunch on Perverts showing up?'

That job had some fine perks...

I had to recheck the URL to make sure I hadn't stumbled into the website for Penthouse Forum.

13 hours ago, Shu said:

You are definitely a master story teller.

+1.  SA should have an annotated collection (lots of references to boats and stuff).  

15 hours ago, Shu said:

Holy smokes Rasper,

At first it read like you were mocking one of Vwop's truncated tales.  You are definitely a master story teller.

I started thinking the same thing Shu. I left out the part about the shrimpboat of lesbian red haired cajun girls wearing nothing but white rubber boots coming to rescue us from the marauding rednecks in the bass boat. Vwop would have been proud of me for that part. 

• Like 2

For God's sake Rasputin, spill the beans on that one.

You got all day tomorrow to catch up on your sleep....

54 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

For God's sake Rasputin, spill the beans on that one.

You got all day tomorrow to catch up on your sleep....

You'll have to spill your own beans on that one, I suspect it was a bit of yarning at that point.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:03 PM, Rasputin22 said:

The kid was handsome in a boyish way and after chatting with him a bit it was obvious he was not a sailor. He seemed a bit nervous about the girl himself and he told me he had met her at one of the waterfront clubs the previous weekend and she had made the sailing invite right off the bat. That made me kick myself a bit because by then I was probably more aware of what the outcome could potentially be than he was!  She sort of rubbed in it on me as she gleefully paid for the boytoy's new gloves and led him off to the club with a wink and a wiggle as she pushed him out the door ahead of her. Then the little minx gave me the 'call me' hand signal and whisper as she left me standing dumbfounded. My boss was watching the whole thing and he burst out laughing at me which didn't help...

I burst out laughing at that line too!

On 11/20/2018 at 2:09 PM, Rasputin22 said:

Sounds like you were lucky to know her.