steele

J109 cabinet question

I am re-bedding my stantions on the 109, a late production model made in France. The bolts are behind the trim piece above the nav station maked with the blue tape. I pulled every wood screw I can find, but it will not budge. For unclear reasons the cabinet has a "roof" so I can not get at the bolts from inside it. I am now suspicious that the cabinet was made outside the boat and glued and screwed before install, but if any one has some real world experience with this I would appreciate the input before I resort to cutting.

IMG_0846.thumb.jpg.a2815499be6ba14025b6b550a61ff35c.jpg

My hull 266 was built at TPI.  No wood at the top of the Nav Station cabinet - the deck bottom and all hardware are visible and accessible.  You might want to chisel out an exploratory patch since it isn't visible with the panels closed.  Then you can determine how to best remove it for access to the required hardware.

ps - you might want to post on the J/109 forum to see if anyone with a similar boat has had any experience.

I will probably to that, it is ply so a hole saw below the stantion bolts is propaly the way to go. I will also ask on thee 109 site.

If you're on the Book of Face there is also a Facebook public group for the "J/109 UK & Ireland Class Association" where most (if not all) of the boats are French built 109's like yours.  The class website WHK is referring to is fantastic but most folks on there have US built 109's.  On the other hand there is no cavity that cannot be reached on a boat with enough hole saws and grinders!