toad

Ocasio

36 minutes ago, jzk said:

Minimum wage prices poor people out of the market.  Let's say I have 2 employees.  I have a guy worth $7.50 and a guy worth $15.  If minimum wage gets raised to $15, am I going to keep the $7.50 guy, and pay him $15, or am I going to find a guy worth $15 to pay $15?

This position on minimum wage is the only logical position.  So, what does the left do?  They do studies of small increases in minimum wage that show that when you increase minimum wage a little, you only get a little employment displacement.  Or, if it is little enough, you can't see the displacement in the noise of the data.  

No, it isn't

It is the only position YOU wish to acknowledge, because of your ignorance and inability to discuss the basic principles of economics

-DSK

46 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, it isn't

It is the only position YOU wish to acknowledge, because of your ignorance and inability to discuss the basic principles of economics

-DSK

Basic principles like if you raise the price of something, people buy less of it.  Or basic principles like businesses tend not to pay more for something than it is worth.  

Those kinds of principles?

25 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

You probably shouldn't make such claims.

that's right. there's only one position that's correct and it's the libertarian one. You guys are right about everything.

2 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

that's right. there's only one position that's correct and it's the libertarian one. You guys are right about everything.

The horrors of free people voluntarily interacting and trading with each other.  We can't trust them to do that. 

We need other people to tell them what they can and cannot do.

45 minutes ago, jzk said:

Basic principles like if you raise the price of something, people buy less of it.  Or basic principles like businesses tend not to pay more for something than it is worth.  

Those kinds of principles?

One at a time, how about instead of looking at a muddled heap of parroted phrases, we look at things in an orderly logical way. "Basic principles like if you raise the price of something, people buy less of it" is indeed a generally-accepted economic concept, does it apply universally? Specifically, does it apply to low-wage (presumably low-skill) labor? I would suggest you look at the marginal productivity of wage, which will be specific to various industries, at the lower end of the curve.

Don't people who have better nutrition and healthier lives generally make more productive workers? Doesn't a loaf of bread cost the same to people making 10$/hr or 100$/hr? How about health care, a commonly-debated topic?

You have never even attempted to grasp this kind of rational approach. Maybe you're finally ready?

-DSK

The left think most people are not equipped to think for themselves and act within their own self-interests. That only a "collective" approach possesses the degree of wisdom which we as a society should pursue. Together we are enlightened and separately we are incapable.

12 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

The left think most people are not equipped to think for themselves and act within their own self-interests. That only a "collective" approach possesses the degree of wisdom which we as a society should pursue. Together we are enlightened and separately we are incapable.

I would not have thought of this as a particularly "Left-ish" expression, but perhaps the words you are groping for are "United We Stand."

I thought "the right" was supposed to understand business and capitalism? So far, none you all seem to know anything other trying to cheap-shit your way to prosperity.

-DSK

37 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

One at a time, how about instead of looking at a muddled heap of parroted phrases, we look at things in an orderly logical way. "Basic principles like if you raise the price of something, people buy less of it" is indeed a generally-accepted economic concept, does it apply universally? Specifically, does it apply to low-wage (presumably low-skill) labor? I would suggest you look at the marginal productivity of wage, which will be specific to various industries, at the lower end of the curve.

Don't people who have better nutrition and healthier lives generally make more productive workers? Doesn't a loaf of bread cost the same to people making 10$/hr or 100$/hr? How about health care, a commonly-debated topic?

You have never even attempted to grasp this kind of rational approach. Maybe you're finally ready?

-DSK

If it were true that productivity increased as you suggest, then the market would raise the wage automatically. 

Just now, jzk said:

If it were true that productivity increased as you suggest, then the market would raise the wage automatically. 

Well, there are certainly many cases where it does; and there are certainly many cases where "the market" doesn't work as automagically as you believe. I've already shown you a whole bunch of real-world cases that contradict your parroting. Are you ready to actually learn something?

-DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Well, there are certainly many cases where it does; and there are certainly many cases where "the market" doesn't work as automagically as you believe. I've already shown you a whole bunch of real-world cases that contradict your parroting. Are you ready to actually learn something?

-DSK

If it were automatic that a $7.50 person became worth $15 by virtue of paying $15, some smart business owner would do it and hire up all of the $7.50 people to gain an advantage over everyone else.  Has that happened?

47 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

The left think most people are not equipped to think for themselves and act within their own self-interests. 

Science does too. Sorry it runs into your dogma. 

Now - hows that cheaper private education coming? That failed state healthcare? What other truths have you discovered that are poorly represented by numbers?

4 minutes ago, jzk said:

If it were automatic that a $7.50 person became worth $15 by virtue of paying $15, some smart business owner would do it and hire up all of the $7.50 people to gain an advantage over everyone else.  Has that happened?

Hey stupid, quote where I said it was "automatic"

Also, as a test, see if you can explain what marginal rates for labor are. I suspect you don't understand, hence the parroting.

{edit to add} Perhaps you'd like to pop over to this other thread and take a swing at explaining why the free market doesn't lower consumer credit rates.

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Also, as a test, see if you can explain what marginal rates for labor are. I suspect you don't understand, hence the parroting.

-DSK

You should start a business, find all of the entry level people you can, and pay them $15.00.  You can finally make some money and maybe even get a Nobel Prize in economics for the new economic "principle" that you discovered.

9 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

{edit to add} Perhaps you'd like to pop over to this other thread and take a swing at explaining why the free market doesn't lower consumer credit rates.

-DSK

Why should it be lower?  

7 minutes ago, jzk said:
10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You should start a business, find all of the entry level people you can, and pay them $15.00.  You can finally make some money and maybe even get a Nobel Prize in economics for the new economic "principle" that you discovered.

So, another fail. On so many levels.

First of all, I've said many times that I am happily (and relatively comfortably) retired. I have no need to "finally make some money" in fact I strongly suspect that I'm several income brackets above you.

Secondly, nothing new at all. No Nobel Prize to be won here, alas. Just more stuff you know nothing about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_revenue_productivity_theory_of_wages

-DSK

3 minutes ago, jzk said:
13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why should it be lower?  

Why should businesses be able to borrow money at less than 5% (considerably less, in fact) and then turn around and charge everyday people more than 3X that? Shouldn't the free market work toward providing lower cost credit to consumers, when credit is clearly available at much lower cost?

You've said the free market should provide me with multiple cheaper options for internet service, in fact you've insisted so many times and called me a liar. What's the problem here?

-DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

Why should businesses be able to borrow money at less than 5% (considerably less, in fact) and then turn around and charge everyday people more than 3X that? Shouldn't the free market work toward providing lower cost credit to consumers, when credit is clearly available at much lower cost?

You've said the free market should provide me with multiple cheaper options for internet service, in fact you've insisted so many times and called me a liar. What's the problem here?

-DSK

That is like saying the fee market "owes" you a new car for $10,0000.  Why do you think such silly things?

3 minutes ago, jzk said:

That is like saying the fee market "owes" you a new car for $10,0000.  Why do you think such silly things?

I don't think these things at all, this is straight from your previous posts.

BTW -I- can explain why market rates for credit don't converge. Apparently you cannot

-DSK

• Like 1

Just now, Steam Flyer said:

BTW -I- can explain why market rates for credit don't converge. Apparently you cannot

-DSK

Yeah, maybe you should try making a case for something.  Anything.

Here is a fun fact - the woman that the nutters hate has a real degree in economics from a real university.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

If someone wants to loan you money at 4%, and you want to borrow it, it is perfectly ok by me.  The last thing we need is a clown like you deciding how much people "should" loan money for.

8 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

Here is a fun fact - the woman that the nutters hate has a real degree in economics from a real university.

“You don’t really make a profit in your first year." “To get taxed on top of that is a real whammy.” AO-C in 2012 (taxes were bad when she had her own business)

Now she is a firm believer in higher taxes. Then again, she is the poster woman for NYC DSA:

She is young, smart and motivated and dedicated to shaking things up.  In other words she shares one characteristic with Trump.  You go girl.

55 minutes ago, jzk said:

If someone wants to loan you money at 4%, and you want to borrow it, it is perfectly ok by me.  The last thing we need is a clown like you deciding how much people "should" loan money for.

"Asymmetrical information is the provenance of scoundrels"  You are setting yourself up to be fleeced, especially in today's data filled world.  You may want to loan at 4%, but someone else loans at 6%.  You don't know this until later.  Arbitrage of credit rates is fast diminishing.  In this case, the "should" becomes the almighty invisible hand.  And even then, credit rates end up being different.  Of course this is entirely different for currency providers (countries) because they also deal in another dimension which is the value of the currency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

silly, you know this isn't about knowledge. this is about her challenge to their orthodoxy. Republicans have been fine with MMT spending for 35 years - as long as the debt allows military spending and taxcuts for the rich.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, d'ranger said:

She is young, smart and motivated and dedicated to shaking things up.  In other words she shares one characteristic with Trump.  You go girl.

Her idea of a shakeup would not benefit the establishment and/or the .01%. How can anyone really shake things up unless the Best Americans benefit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
20 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Her idea of a shakeup would not benefit the establishment and/or the .01%. How can anyone really shake things up unless the Best Americans benefit?

She is setting about "burning this bitch down" in her own way.  She's got folks concerned.  Especially the GOP.  

Why else would these folks be attacking a freshman Rep, who will have no real power?

8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

She is setting about "burning this bitch down" in her own way.  She's got folks concerned.  Especially the GOP.  

Why else would these folks be attacking a freshman Rep, who will have no real power?

Guilt by association fallacy; to try to paint her as the mainstream democRAT party. 

16 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Guilt by association fallacy; to try to paint her as the mainstream democRAT party. 

Yep, Nancy is pulling her and those of her ilk into line.

20 hours ago, d'ranger said:

She is smart and is marketing a compelling message, if you don't understand economics and history, that is.  She just needs to consult with her staff before making statements a little, and then she is going to be a force.  

52 minutes ago, jzk said:
21 hours ago, d'ranger said:

She is smart and is marketing a compelling message, if you don't understand economics and history, that is.  ....    ...    ...

Perfect for you.

My neighbor has a macaw that understands economics and history better than you do

-DSK

44 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Perfect for you.

My neighbor has a macaw that understands economics and history better than you do

-DSK

You should ask him about the other internet services available in your town.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jzk said:

He is restricted in his internet services access.  The business case for competition in this market may not be there.  A review of Porter's Five Forces may be in order.

22 minutes ago, Laker said:

He is restricted in his internet services access.  The business case for competition in this market may not be there.  A review of Porter's Five Forces may be in order.

He has more than one service available, yet he falsely claims that there is only one.  

I have a boat in a marina in Florida.  Internet access sucks.  It sucks because it is a little bit away from any other residential or commercial areas, so there is not much call for service there.  Should our internet access be subsidized by society?  Fuck no.  We have every ability to move somewhere else to get better internet.  

2 minutes ago, jzk said:
27 minutes ago, Laker said:

He has more than one service available, yet he falsely claims that there is only one.  

I have a boat in a marina in Florida.  Internet access sucks.  It sucks because it is a little bit away from any other residential or commercial areas, so there is not much call for service there.  Should our internet access be subsidized by society?  Fuck no.  We have every ability to move somewhere else to get better internet.  

No, I am pretty sure I said there was only one IN MY COMMUNITY. Not a false claim at all, unlike your repeated screeching insistence that I must be lying.

Fortunately we live in a free country, yes I could move. I could get divorced from Mrs Steam, too, but that would be supremely stupid.

-DSK

49 minutes ago, jzk said:
1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

That was funny, well done.

-DSK

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

No, I am pretty sure I said there was only one IN MY COMMUNITY. Not a false claim at all, unlike your repeated screeching insistence that I must be lying.

Fortunately we live in a free country, yes I could move. I could get divorced from Mrs Steam, too, but that would be supremely stupid.

-DSK

Care to post any evidence that you only have one?  

1 minute ago, jzk said:

Care to post any evidence that you only have one?  

Sorry, I thought you'd rather hear my neighbors parrot quoting Adam Smith

-DSK

Sorry, I thought you'd rather hear my neighbors parrot quoting Adam Smith

-DSK

I understand.  Just outlandish claims without any evidence in support.  I get it.

14 minutes ago, jzk said:

I understand.  Just outlandish claims without any evidence in support.  I get it.

Well, you insist  I must be a liar, because my statement disproves your dumbed-down oversimplified economic slogans?

It's more fun to just keep mocking you, and let you continue to display your ignorance and your shitty suspicious attitude.

In addition to suspecting others of lying (because you're a liar yourself?), do you suspect others of being a thief (because........)?

-DSK

Well, you insist  I must be a liar, because my statement disproves your dumbed-down oversimplified economic slogans?

It's more fun to just keep mocking you, and let you continue to display your ignorance and your shitty suspicious attitude.

In addition to suspecting others of lying (because you're a liar yourself?), do you suspect others of being a thief (because........)?

-DSK

It is funny when really stupid people mock someone thinking that they are smart.  Go ahead, by all means, continue.

You are the one that made the ridiculous claim that you only have one source of internet access in your town.  Do the two satellite providers not serve your area?  No cell phone internet?

21 minutes ago, jzk said:

It is funny when really stupid people mock someone thinking that they are smart.  Go ahead, by all means, continue.

You are the one that made the ridiculous claim that you only have one source of internet access in your town.  Do the two satellite providers not serve your area?  No cell phone internet?

You need a hobby.

-DSK

5 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

You need a hobby.

-DSK

Have you ever noticed that I post sporadically?  But you seem to always be here.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, d'ranger said:

And the President the nutters on the left hate has a real business degree from a real university. 

30 minutes ago, chinabald said:

And the President the nutters on the left hate has a real business degree from a real university. 

wow. an undergrad business degree!

56 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

And six bankruptcies! He's a real pro!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jzk said:

She is smart and is marketing a compelling message, if you don't understand economics and history, that is.  She just needs to consult with her staff before making statements a little, and then she is going to be a force.  

Oh you mean like Donnie consulting with his staff before lying a little, got it.

I didn’t realise Donnie was so strong at history, just this week I learnt a wheel came before a wall, can’t wait till we get to the 21st century.

Economics,  well he has proved to be such a powerhouse in that regard and now that he’s closed down the Guvmint the farmers can’t get their aid for all the tariff affected crops, 800,000 guvmint workers can’t pay their rents or mortgages and the markets well they’re just humming having its worst year since 2008.

She will be Force alright she just needs to put money back into the workers pockets something that Donnie said he would do, along with building a wall.

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

And six bankruptcies! He's a real pro!

And the US is more than 20 trillion in debt. Super pro! :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, chinabald said:

Trump U?

His teachers at Wharton said he was the dumbest person that ever walked thru their doors, and Daddy's money was the only reason he passed.

If you want to point to the "success" of Trump in business, you'll only make a bunch of heartache for yourself. No investor ever made money on his businesses, that's why he ended up getting funding from the Russians.

-DSK

21 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Trump U?

His teachers at Wharton said he was the dumbest person that ever walked thru their doors, and Daddy's money was the only reason he passed.

If you want to point to the "success" of Trump in business, you'll only make a bunch of heartache for yourself. No investor ever made money on his businesses, that's why he ended up getting funding from the Russians.

-DSK

So what your saying is that merely having the degree from a real school isnt as important as what you do once you are out of school? 

So what value is an economics degree (that d’ranger brought up) without ever working in a job that actually utilized that degree? 

8 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Yes that’s the degree d’ranger brought up. His contention is a real degree from a real university means you can’t criticize. By comparing the two I showed that the left in fact doesn’t see it that way. 

4 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Yes that’s the degree d’ranger brought up. His contention is a real degree from a real university means you can’t criticize. By comparing the two I showed that the left in fact doesn’t see it that way. 

Thanks tor that Olympic Leap in Logic - this was in response to jzk and company posting about their expertise in economics while deriding hers. Welcome to the broad brush painting society.

4 minutes ago, chinabald said:

So what your saying is that merely having the degree from a real school isnt as important as what you do once you are out of school? 

So what value is an economics degree (that d’ranger brought up) without ever working in a job that actually utilized that degree? 

I'd say it's some of both. Everybody is impressed by a degree from Harvard for example. But you can certainly find people who got a degree from Harvard and then tripped over their own feet numerous times (possibly fewer than from other universities?)

I'd like to think that my judgement of people is based more on what they've done and how they act, and what they are working towards, than what ticket they've bought. Tat's my personal goal, anyway.

Trump is not what's wrong with the USA. He's a symptom. The fact that 30% or more of the people approve of him as President, not his stated goals (which align with some Reupblican policy anyway), but his hypocrisy and dishonesty and his inability to accomplish those goals, shows that America has got big big problems. Slinging hatred at OCasio fits the pattern. Slinging love at her is just the mirror-image response, which is somewhat nicer but still not smart.

-DSK

9 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Oh you mean like Donnie consulting with his staff before lying a little, got it.

I didn’t realise Donnie was so strong at history, just this week I learnt a wheel came before a wall, can’t wait till we get to the 21st century.

Economics,  well he has proved to be such a powerhouse in that regard and now that he’s closed down the Guvmint the farmers can’t get their aid for all the tariff affected crops, 800,000 guvmint workers can’t pay their rents or mortgages and the markets well they’re just humming having its worst year since 2008.

She will be Force alright she just needs to put money back into the workers pockets something that Donnie said he would do, along with building a wall.

I don't remember mentioning Trump in my comments about Ocasio.  Is Trump permanently stamped to your forehead?

1 hour ago, d'ranger said:

Thanks tor that Olympic Leap in Logic - this was in response to jzk and company posting about their expertise in economics while deriding hers. Welcome to the broad brush painting society.

Yes, her degree in "international relations" and minor in economics makes her immune to criticism.  

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'd say it's some of both. Everybody is impressed by a degree from Harvard for example. But you can certainly find people who got a degree from Harvard and then tripped over their own feet numerous times (possibly fewer than from other universities?)

I'd like to think that my judgement of people is based more on what they've done and how they act, and what they are working towards, than what ticket they've bought. Tat's my personal goal, anyway.

Trump is not what's wrong with the USA. He's a symptom. The fact that 30% or more of the people approve of him as President, not his stated goals (which align with some Reupblican policy anyway), but his hypocrisy and dishonesty and his inability to accomplish those goals, shows that America has got big big problems. Slinging hatred at OCasio fits the pattern. Slinging love at her is just the mirror-image response, which is somewhat nicer but still not smart.

-DSK

A degree itself is meaningless.  It should help you actually do something afterwards, but not always.

That AOC is clueless about the US economy means either:

• the econ profs at BU are as stoopid as she is
  • she didn’t pay attention in class and got by on her looks and dancing abilities
  • she’s dumb as a box of rocks or
  • all of the above

OC graduated cum laude with a double major in Economics and International Relations and she does drive the nutters nutz.

7 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

OC graduated cum laude with a double major in Economics and International Relations and she does drive the nutters nutz.

So she and Trump have 2 things in common, they both went to college and they both drive people nutz.  as Eva Dent.

20 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

I heard econ was a minor, but I wasn't there.

I thought of something else Ocasio-Cortez and Trump have in common - their supporters find them refreshing.

3 hours ago, chinabald said:

No, dumbass. His contention was a real degree from a real university will give you an understanding of the subject matter greater than some moron on the street - especially at a younger age. So, in this case, AOC will have some understanding of economics beyond the moron J28. By all measures it appears AOC has a greater understanding of the economy than that dipshit. Of course that dipshit is angry because she's reached different conclusions, and so he insults her like the impotent old cuckservative he is.

AOC is great at getting rightwingers to step on their own dicks over and over and over.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barnacle Balls said:

yfF1oTl.jpg

Is that like the guy who thinks Michelle Obama's program for school lunches was somehow less healthy than what it replaced? Or maybe the Christians who support President Trump in his pussy-grabbing and obvious worship of Mammon?

-DSK

9 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

No, dumbass. His contention was a real degree from a real university will give you an understanding of the subject matter greater than some moron on the street - especially at a younger age. So, in this case, AOC will have some understanding of economics beyond the moron J28. By all measures it appears AOC has a greater understanding of the economy than that dipshit. Of course that dipshit is angry because she's reached different conclusions, and so he insults her like the impotent old cuckservative he is.

AOC is great at getting rightwingers to step on their own dicks over and over and over.

A real degree from a real university has the potential to give the recipient a greater understanding of the subject matter than someone on the street.  But only a moron, such as yourself, would claim that it is automatically true.

To get a real degree from a real university you have to do, and pass, coursework that demonstrates an understanding of the subject matter.

Now I realize for rightwing morons the notion of standards hurt their little snowflake brains, but it's true. Universitys have standards! 

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

OC graduated cum laude with a double major in Economics and International Relations...

Which means:

1 hour ago, J28 said:

• she didn’t pay attention in class and got by on her looks and dancing abilities
  • all of the above

6 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

To get a real degree from a real university you have to do, and pass, coursework that demonstrates an understanding of the subject matter.

Now I realize for rightwing morons the notion of standards hurt their little snowflake brains, but it's true. Universitys have standards! 

Do they have standards in grammar and spelling?

3 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Funny how the libertarian fuckwhits always fall back to grammar and spelling. It's like form matters more than content to them.

Just in context of you trying to explain the value of a University degree, getting the spelling and grammar wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Or it means that she was in the top 30% with respect to the entire class for Econ + IR at Boston University. But I get that she scares you. No need to reiterate that.

Or a real Mona.

Not so much scares as entertains.

4 minutes ago, jzk said:

Just in context of you trying to explain the value of a University degree, getting the spelling and grammar wrong.  

this is most amusing.

@BillDBastard you found sources for any of your bullshit claims yet smart guy?

11 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Or it means that she was in the top 30% with respect to the entire class for Econ + IR at Boston University. 

Which means:

2 hours ago, J28 said:

• all of the above

And I love, love, love her!  I pray she keeps tweetin’, and protesting, and coming up with great ideas like the New Green Deal.  She and her elk are gonna force a monumental split in the Democrat party, and I am super pumped about that!

5 hours ago, d'ranger said:

Not a broad brush. Just a similar comparison that showed her degree is as useful a shield as Trump’s. 

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

It sounds like she understood the subject material well enough to get a job as a bartender. 

1 minute ago, chinabald said:

It sounds like she understood the subject material well enough to get a job as a bartender. 

? does that make sense as a putdown on planet rightwing whackjob? is this the same planet where comparing a college degree for a 72 year old and a 29 year old makes sense?

15 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Not a broad brush. Just a similar comparison that showed her degree is as useful a shield as Trump’s. 

You wrote "the left" - that my friend is a broad brush. When I write "nutters" I mean those so blinded they support Trump no matter what and belong to that group that believe anyone or anything is better than a Democrat. I know a number of these elks.  And there are little things like she received a fellowship, graduated with honors while Trump got in and stayed in with money and influence.  Sure, it's the same thing.

Now I just saw your last jab - my niece worked as a bartender and recently graduated as a pharmacist.  She is brighter, more interesting and more educated than Trump ever was or will be.  Plus, she is awesome at recommending good booze at a reasonable price. I would value anyone who pulled themselves up over some asshole who was born with the silver spoon up his ass.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chinabald said:

You must not be a sailor if you think anyone here would hold that against her.

3 hours ago, J28 said:

• all of the above

She actually has a very good grasp of the US economy.  None of the things she has brought forward is in any way out of line.  They have not been brought about, but that does not mean that they are, as you say "stoopid".

2 hours ago, J28 said:

Do you have an informed opinion about the US economy? AOC made a historically accurate statement about tax rates and very quickly summarized research by qualified economists. She may well be wrong but she's currently beating you on points.

Diamond, Peter, and Emmanuel Saez. 2011. "The Case for a Progressive Tax: From Basic Research to Policy Recommendations." Journal of Economic Perspectives, 25 (4): 165-90.

https://www.aeaweb.org/articles?id=10.1257/jep.25.4.165

fredgraph.png?g=mFh8

28 minutes ago, chinabald said:

Shows what the real economy is at the moment.

27 minutes ago, BillDBastard said:

Or the value of her degrees.

If a cum laude degree from a respected US university has no value, what degree does?  In the mid seventies, for instance, you could have a really good degree in any of the STEM disciplines, but there were no jobs.  Made on not want to go on to a graduate degree in STEM.  So the concept of a value of a degree is not a "fast moving function".  A physics TA would recognize this.  But unless he was around in the mid seventies, he wouldn't know this.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/425422-a-majority-of-americans-support-raising-the-top-tax-rate-to-70?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Whoops. Someone needs to tell the masses that her proposal is counter to the Entitlement Class’ interests. It seems too popular. 

2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/425422-a-majority-of-americans-support-raising-the-top-tax-rate-to-70?__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true&__twitter_impression=true

Whoops. Someone needs to tell the masses that her proposal is counter to the Entitlement Class’ interests. It seems too popular. 

Why stop at 70%?  

Should any one really own anything?

Imagine if there were no borders.

Imagine....

3 hours ago, chinabald said:
5 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Really depends on two big factors..... what the individual wants to do. It's a free country (in theory)..... and the state of the economy.

Example- when I got out of the Navy, I was a propulsion plant operator and a calibration technician (I was also the best control system troubleshooter in the Navy, but that didn't even get me a 2nd cup of coffee). Be that as it may, I sat thru a bunch of engineering seminars and collected a bunch of certifications including an American Bureau of Shipping 2nd Engineers license with steam endorsement, and I had people beating down my door waving money at me to go to work for them.

I eventually dropped back to part-time work so I could complete a college degree (BSME) and when finished, the country was in the early '90s recession.... the one that ousted George Sr. Out of my engineering class, fewer than 20% got jobs in the engineering field. There was zero recruiting. 4 years earlier, it was over 80% and there were recruiters chasing engineering students around campus. I went back to full-time for small contractng comapny I was already working for, or I'd have been in the same boat.

In short, basing the level of Ms Ocasio-Cortez economics knowledge on her being a bartender is very much judging a book by it's cover.

-DSK

4 hours ago, jzk said:

Do they have standards in grammar and spelling?

Ask President Trump.

He has a very good brain, and all the best words.