toad

Ocasio

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You do know those photos are not of AOC, right?

He probabaly forgot his respirator again.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, J28 said:

He probabaly forgot his respirator again.  

He isn't the first person to post photos in this thread which do not actually depict AOC.  (wink, wink)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Allison Stokke, soon to be Fowler. 

I was kinda hoping she'd be Mrs. Bus Driver, version 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I was kinda hoping she'd be Mrs. Bus Driver, version 2.0

Next time you see Ricky Fowler playing some golf tournament, pull for him to drive one into the water, to make up for what he will drive into after his round. Lucky bastard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who have low-end jobs like, you know, bartending, usually can't count all that well and need price controls to help them figure out their finances.
 

Quote

 

...

people who choose to use payday loans don't, and perhaps can't, understand the choices they are making. For their own good, those choices should be prohibited by our enlightened, elected betters. It is a form of benevolent condescension built on the belief that poor people can't count.

Accounts of the lived experiences of actual payday loan customers indicate otherwise. In 2017, University of Pennsylvania Professor Lisa Servon published The Unbanking of America, a close look at people who lack traditional bank accounts, many of whom regularly use payday loans and check cashing services. During the course of her research, Servon worked as a teller at one such business for four months. What she found was that customers knew exactly what they were doing when they took out loans, and they usually had good reasons for doing so.

Many of them had previously had negative experiences with banks, in particular with overdraft fees, which tend to be higher than the rates charged by payday lenders when compared on an equal basis. Extended out over the course of a year (which is longer than the typical repayment period), a typical payday loan has an annual percentage rate (APR) of about 390 percent; over the same period, overdraft fees can range from 600 to nearly 800 percent. Bounced checks can result in effective annual APRs of more than 1,400 percent. Payday loans aren't cheap, but people with inconsistent cash flow often find that the alternatives are more expensive.

Servon learned that some payday loan customers needed cash more quickly than a bank would provide. Others valued the transparency of the pricing for various services. They weren't confused by the various fees and transactions; on the contrary, they found them clearer and easier to manage than what they encountered at banks. In many cases, they saw payday loans as less expensive than the available alternatives. Nearly all of them understood in fine detail exactly what their financial resources were, as well as their obligations, and worked to meet them as best they could, often in trying circumstances. The payday lending operation was widely liked and acted as a kind of community center.

...

(Bernie)  and his fellow democratic socialist, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D–N.Y.), are now proposing to do the same thing again, by capping interest rates on credit cards at 15 percent. Currently, the median interest rate for credit cards is a little more than 21 percent. Borrowers with good credit typically pay about 17.7 percent, while those with lower credit scores pay about 24.9 percent, according to The Washington Post. Capping rates on payday loans in Vermont effectively eliminated the industry; capping rates on credit cards will have a similar, if more limited, effect, making it much harder for those with low credit scores—which is to say, people who struggle financially—to access credit.

And if history is any guide, that means they will turn to other, potentially worse, options. Reports on payday loans return again and again to overdraft fees on checking accounts, and the costs they can impose on people with tight budgets. Research also shows that when payday lending goes away, pawn shops proliferate. Eliminating these services by regulating them out of existence doesn't eliminate the demand for these sorts of financial products; it just pushes the people who need them to instead sell their most valuable possessions at a steep discount. 

 

My father made a pretty good living in part by turning people with low income and bad credit into home owners. I'm doing my best to continue his work.

I disagree in part with the above. They don't know exactly what they're doing all the time. No matter how I try, I can't get many borrowers to understand how interest works. They can and do, however, understand some bottom line truths. The most important one being: "a Satisfaction of Mortgage means I don't have to pay Mr. Ray any more and I own this property free and clear now."

Many do not have bank accounts at all for the reasons noted above and also because a bank account is a target if you have one, not if you don't. They use money orders, credit cards, and some probably take out payday loans. They choose to do these things because it's their best available option. Removing it won't help them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things have been quiet on the AOC front but scuttlebutt is she might run to replace DeBlasio as mayor.  This would be a total BOSS move and she’s pretty popular so she’d have a good shot.  One term as mayor then off to the Senate.  She’d then be primed for a run at POTUS.

BOOM! That’s the sound of Trumptard heads everywhere exploding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Things have been quiet on the AOC front but scuttlebutt is she might run to replace DeBlasio as mayor.  This would be a total BOSS move and she’s pretty popular so she’d have a good shot.  One term as mayor then off to the Senate.  She’d then be primed for a run at POTUS.

BOOM! That’s the sound of Trumptard heads everywhere exploding.

The US desperately needs an Ardern.  She could be it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arden wearing a head scarf does not make her a politician.  It does make her a grandstander though.  Check out NZ politics and their economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trt131 said:

Arden wearing a head scarf does not make her a politician.  It does make her a grandstander though.  Check out NZ politics and their economy.

Check out the USA and their murder by gun rate. You want to be wealthy and dead, go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trt131 said:

Arden wearing a head scarf does not make her a politician.  It does make her a grandstander though.  Check out NZ politics and their economy.

Given the choice of whose policies, governance and economy I would like to live under, I don't know if Ardern's New Zealand would be first, or even ahead of Canada, but the USA would be so far behind it wouldn't be visible over the horizon.  Each passing day the US looks more like a cross between Gilead and Panem.

There doesn't seem to be a way to fix the US aside from the emergence of a completely different kind of politician.  The electorate wants change in the US.  Trump was completely different, which got him elected, but he turned out to be different in a bad way.  Ocasio could be completely different in a good way.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Things have been quiet on the AOC front but scuttlebutt is she might run to replace DeBlasio as mayor.  This would be a total BOSS move and she’s pretty popular so she’d have a good shot.  One term as mayor then off to the Senate.  She’d then be primed for a run at POTUS.

BOOM! That’s the sound of Trumptard heads everywhere exploding.

Sounds great... Can you recall the last NYC mayor to move into the WH? 

 

Teddy Roosevelt! She is incapable of reaching middle America like T-Rex did.   So great take her back to NY.  Considering she does not actually live in the Bx.  That is just a mail drop (per NYT article).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, trt131 said:

Arden wearing a head scarf does not make her a politician.  It does make her a grandstander though.  Check out NZ politics and their economy.

The Heritage Foundation, a right wing "think tank" if there ever was one, has New Zealand ahead of the US.  84.4 vs 76.8 by their rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dash34 said:

Given the choice of whose policies, governance and economy I would like to live under, I don't know if Ardern's New Zealand would be first, or even ahead of Canada, but the USA would be so far behind it wouldn't be visible over the horizon.  Each passing day the US looks more like a cross between Gilead and Panem.

There doesn't seem to be a way to fix the US aside from the emergence of a completely different kind of politician.  The electorate wants change in the US.  Trump was completely different, which got him elected, but he turned out to be different in a bad way.  Ocasio could be completely different in a good way.  

People cry for change and then cry when it's proposed. Fear and greed appear to be major motivators. Well, that and the Haves don't really like or want change - witness how the GND is continually misrepresented and portrayed as liberal plot to take away cows, cars and airplanes. And no more farting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Things have been quiet on the AOC front but scuttlebutt is she might run to replace DeBlasio as mayor.  This would be a total BOSS move and she’s pretty popular so she’d have a good shot.  One term as mayor then off to the Senate.  She’d then be primed for a run at POTUS.

BOOM! That’s the sound of Trumptard heads everywhere exploding.

OMG, there go the 16 oz slurpees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Snore said:

She is incapable of reaching middle America like T-Rex did.   

 

 

Unless there are more latinos there than there used to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Water seeks it’s own level. She’s an unqualified moron and like Trump, many of her former supporters regret it.  Her approval rating among her own has tanked. She has no accomplishments or track record of anything and is pushing an antiquated universally failed economic model. The people that contemplate her as a mayor, governor, POTUS are delusional and probably also considered Michael Avenatti similarly. The ‘free shit  for everyone’ Democrat promises won’t get her far. She is only getting the attention of the media because she is a car crash and that will wear off when she’s no longer useful to them to spice up a boring televised congressional hearing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Olsonist said:

Well, it's a cartoon. I'm sure I could draw that with an elephant and your choice of Republican. However, this is AOC on several issues. I think she's spot on.

http://www.ontheissues.org/NY/Alexandria_Ocasio-Cortez.htm

Thanks for the link!  And I do mean that - Its nice to have that kind of summary.

That being said, doesn't it actually also support the fundamental irony of cartoon?  From your link, she is a "hard core liberal" who's pushing the party farther and farther to the left - which is her prerogative.  But that does inherently mean appealing to a smaller and smaller slice of folks - hence the smaller and smaller ledge?

 

Untitled.png.3f76207f77155206d8d09fedee41b084.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but that strikes me as another cartoon. I'm just going to take the first on her list and the corresponding plank from the 2016 Republican platform. Do these strike you as far left, left, centrist, right or far right? Are they libertarian or statist? Do you support or oppose either?

Women should have access to quality reproductive healthcare

image.png.6c05d95253b27e513b4ec5e9b86836cc.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

Sorry, but that strikes me as another cartoon. I'm just going to take the first on her list. Does this strike you as far left, left, centrist, right or far right? Is it libertarian or statist?

Women should have access to quality reproductive healthcare

You are talking absolute. He, like most here, is interested in political relativism and defining themselves via the other. Hence the problem for some of the handwringing Republicans and why they have such great difficulty not supporting Trump, because many of them define themselves as "not Democrats" no matter what Democrats are. Hence also the general dislike in the US for "socialism" but an approval in many instances of social programs that might be considering "socialist" when they are decoupled from that nasty word.

The irony of a libertarian criticizing platforms that appeal to fewer and fewer people is deeply amusing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broccoli anyone?  That damned white cauliflower has gots to go.

“But when you really think about it — when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something — what you’re doing is that you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism, and that is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

Somehow this doesn't jibe with all the small gardens I see in the Caribbean.  Community gardens are to grow what people want to grow.  Maybe it doesn't fit the 5 year agricultural plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Broccoli anyone?  That damned white cauliflower has gots to go.

“But when you really think about it — when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something — what you’re doing is that you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism, and that is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

Somehow this doesn't jibe with all the small gardens I see in the Caribbean.  Community gardens are to grow what people want to grow.  Maybe it doesn't fit the 5 year agricultural plan.

I go to the local farmer's market.  It was called the municipal market, now it is the Sweet Auburn Market.  I can buy fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood products.  I can buy quite healthy and cheap there.  There are products that I'm unfamiliar with.  There are products I don't like.  But my brain and my body enjoy the overall experience.  I usually walk there, it is one-half a mile from home.

We have lots of community gardens.  People grow what they choose.

I don't know why an obviously young, intelligent person who thinks outside of the box should be so threatening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hasher said:

 

I don't know why an obviously young, intelligent person who thinks outside of the box should be so threatening.

Woman. 

Latina.  

Non-subserviant.

More social media and young fans than any other legislator.

Which of these would be non-threatening to republicans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Woman. 

Latina.  

Non-subserviant.

More social media and young fans than any other legislator.

Which of these would be non-threatening to republicans?

I recognize it, I want them to admit it.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hasher said:

I go to the local farmer's market.  It was called the municipal market, now it is the Sweet Auburn Market.  I can buy fresh fruits, vegetables and seafood products.  I can buy quite healthy and cheap there.  There are products that I'm unfamiliar with.  There are products I don't like.  But my brain and my body enjoy the overall experience.  I usually walk there, it is one-half a mile from home.

We have lots of community gardens.  People grow what they choose.

I don't know why an obviously young, intelligent person who thinks outside of the box should be so threatening.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with what she says. Soreass doesn't even understand what shes saying - as evidenced about his rambling about the carribbean. He just wants to be angry, bump this thread so people will reply, and he'll "laugh at the clowns" who he doesn't understand either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Somehow this doesn't jibe with all the small gardens I see in the Caribbean.  Community gardens are to grow what people want to grow.  Maybe it doesn't fit the 5 year agricultural plan.

What AOC is actually saying is:

community gardens are to grow what people want to grow

Apparently, in her experience people of color aren't so interested in cauliflower and they're more interested in yucca. Revolutionary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

What AOC is actually saying is:

community gardens are to grow what people want to grow

Apparently, in her experience people of color aren't so interested in cauliflower and they're more interested in yucca. Revolutionary.

So?  Don't grow cauliflower then.  Didn't they know they could do that until she told them?

That means she was actually saying is:

You should grow what our ethnic stereotypes say you should.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

So?  Don't grow cauliflower then.  Didn't they know they could do that until she told them?

Again, you're misunderstanding/stating what AOC said. She's saying:

community gardens are to grow what people want to grow

and

Don't grow cauliflower then

which are your words but then you're complaining about that because ... AOC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the top of this page there were some pics of obvious imposters.  Here is some video... is it a young AOC, or....?  Not my circus, not my monkeys... kids these days!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's mini-AOC, a right wing troll. Does Canada get Google?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hasher said:

I recognize it, I want them to admit it.

Good luck with that.  I've never yet met a racist or sexist who has the mental faculty to acknowledge those things exists, much less admit that they do it.  funnily enough, they'll exclaim that blacks complaining about police brutality are racist anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Olsonist said:

That's mini-AOC, a right wing troll

She's certainly small enough to be living under a bridge!  I find it all very Grimm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Water seeks it’s own level. She’s an unqualified moron and like Trump, many of her former supporters regret it.  Her approval rating among her own has tanked. She has no accomplishments or track record of anything and is pushing an antiquated universally failed economic model. The people that contemplate her as a mayor, governor, POTUS are delusional and probably also considered Michael Avenatti similarly. The ‘free shit  for everyone’ Democrat promises won’t get her far. She is only getting the attention of the media because she is a car crash and that will wear off when she’s no longer useful to them to spice up a boring televised congressional hearing. 

Ooooh....Thinking a lot about a young, latina congresswoman are you?   Running that roof top dancing video in your head, are you?  :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she wants to really solve a problem she perceives, she should go into the lending  business with Bernie Sanders and George Soros  and offer short term, high risk, non secured  credit at below 15% interest.  

Most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%. Many at zero or 5pct.  Where is the problem? 

I wonder how big a bar tab she extended to her former clientele? 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If she wants to really solve a problem she perceives, she should

Nope, she just wants to get young people and minorities to the polls like never before. As long as her popularity with those groups allows her to do that, she can say whatever the fuck she wants.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Nope, she just wants to get young people and minorities to the polls like never before. As long as her popularity with those groups allows her to do that, she can say whatever the fuck she wants.

 

Of course she can say whatever she likes. And she does.  And she proves she’s an idiot.  What’s your point?  She’s also losing her constituency of non youth voters.  Plenty of them would have liked the option of interviewing for  a job at Amazon  in NY now.  Most of them monorities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

What’s your point?  

I don't want her to have any non-youth voters, and frankly I don't care at all if she is in office.  If you haven't seen the way her comments move the debate, you're not paying much attention.

She has 4.5M twitter followers and 3.5M instagram followers and you can guess their demographics.  That's power, especially in a country without mandatory voting

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If she wants to really solve a problem she perceives, she should go into the lending  business with Bernie Sanders and George Soros  and offer short term, high risk, non secured  credit at below 15% interest.  

Most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%. Many at zero or 5pct.  Where is the problem? 

I wonder how big a bar tab she extended to her former clientele? 

 

Are you sure you know much about credit cards?  "most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%"  That class of credit card is termed a "line of credit" account and is typically available to those with enough collateral to support the lower credit rate.  That typically does not include the groups that support AOC. An unsecured credit card typically has a higher rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

If she wants to really solve a problem she perceives, she should go into the lending  business with Bernie Sanders and George Soros  and offer short term, high risk, non secured  credit at below 15% interest.  

Most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%. Many at zero or 5pct.  Where is the problem? 

I wonder how big a bar tab she extended to her former clientele? 

 

This gets filed directly into "Well-off person who doesn't understand how the world works for most people" folder. 

There's a lot of MAGAtty stuff in that folder.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She is stellar and keeps getting better,  she has worked out that if the elites squawk then your doing something right. Misogyny and racism are bit players here, the alt-right incel crowd deliver the usual weak half squirt of political cum into each others hands over her- meh... But when the Washington elites, the corporate barons start going for her, thats when you read the fine print.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Laker said:

Are you sure you know much about credit cards?  "most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%"  That class of credit card is termed a "line of credit" account and is typically available to those with enough collateral to support the lower credit rate.  That typically does not include the groups that support AOC. An unsecured credit card typically has a higher rate.

Credit cards are a useful convenience for not lugging a lot of cash around.  As far as I'm concerned, the interest rate is irrelevant since I pay them off every month.  I have no idea what my credit rating is either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Of course she can say whatever she likes. And she does.  And she proves she’s an idiot.  What’s your point?  She’s also losing her constituency of non youth voters.  Plenty of them would have liked the option of interviewing for  a job at Amazon  in NY now.  Most of them monorities. 

Why would she or any other politician be interested in actually solving  a problem?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Olsonist said:

What AOC is actually saying is:

community gardens are to grow what people want to grow

Apparently, in her experience people of color aren't so interested in cauliflower and they're more interested in yucca. Revolutionary.

Did you bother reading my post before responding

"Somehow this doesn't jibe with all the small gardens I see in the Caribbean.  Community gardens are to grow what people want to grow.  Maybe it doesn't fit the 5 year agricultural plan. "

The problem is the things she wants them to grow, like Yucca, aren't going to do well in the Bronx.

They actually grow and consume a lot of cauliflower in Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Laker said:

Are you sure you know much about credit cards?  "most folks have credit cards with interest rates below 15%"  That class of credit card is termed a "line of credit" account and is typically available to those with enough collateral to support the lower credit rate.  That typically does not include the groups that support AOC. An unsecured credit card typically has a higher rate.

That's not true.  I have credit cards  (non secured - non collateralized).  I have good credit. It took time to build a track record for  it.
Why should there be a government law in a free market capitalist society to force private institutions to extend credit
to less credit worthy people at restricted rates?  There is no problem with them accessing credit. Its not up to me to decide who is responsible with it and who is not, or to assess the risk to the lender.   The woman who is the subject of the thread prefers a socialist society and economy.  
As do her supporters. At least the ones who actually know what her policies are. I am not in favor of socialism. Otherwise I  couldn't care
less about this woman one way or another.  I am sure with training, she could be a fine and reliable dog walker   

  
 

   

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Did you bother reading my post before responding

"Somehow this doesn't jibe with all the small gardens I see in the Caribbean.  Community gardens are to grow what people want to grow.  Maybe it doesn't fit the 5 year agricultural plan. "

The problem is the things she wants them to grow, like Yucca, aren't going to do well in the Bronx.

 They actually grow and consume a lot of cauliflower in Mexico.

I think I read your post, twice, since you responded twice. 

AOC is a Nuyorican. NY is a USDA hardiness zone 6 and depending on the variety, Yucca handle 6 quite well. Soapweed down to 3, Banana down to 6, nix on Margaritaville, but yes on Adam's Needle down to 5. So she does seem to have a handle on this. Them facts do seem to back her up.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/yucca-plants-cold-temperatures-29728.html

image.png.37d05706ec8c072de848af2a5aa2f074.png

And again, she's not telling anyone to do anything.

“But when you really think about it — when someone says that it’s ‘too hard’ to do a green space that grows Yucca instead of, I don’t know, cauliflower or something — what you’re doing is that you’re taking a colonial approach to environmentalism, and that is why a lot of communities of color get resistant to certain environmentalist movements because they come with the colonial lens on them,” Ocasio-Cortez said. (Your quote)

The problem is the things she wants them to grow, like Yucca, aren't going to do well in the Bronx. (You)

She's just unraveling what people are telling her and intelligently responding to it. I enjoy the close reading but she seems to have an intelligent opinion about her New York situation. Hats off to AOC, again.

(BTW, I did see that this quote was all over the right wing blogosphere.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Credit cards are a useful convenience for not lugging a lot of cash around.  As far as I'm concerned, the interest rate is irrelevant since I pay them off every month.  I have no idea what my credit rating is either.

FYI - you don't need a credit card to not lug cash around in 2019. That's not the point.

Just like the point of AOC was making sure community gardens allowed people to plant what they want. And you, in your rightwing way, misread it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

That's not true.  I have credit cards  (non secured - non collateralized).  I have good credit. It took time to build a track record for  it.
Why should there be a government law in a free market capitalist society to force private institutions to extend credit
to less credit worthy people at restricted rates?  There is no problem with them accessing credit. Its not up to me to decide who is responsible with it and who is not, or to assess the risk to the lender.   The woman who is the subject of the thread prefers a socialist society and economy.  
As do her supporters. At least the ones who actually know what her policies are. I am not in favor of socialism. Otherwise I  couldn't care
less about this woman one way or another.  I am sure with training, she could be a fine and reliable dog walker   

  
 

   

 

 

 

 

I take it then that you do not support anti-usury laws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Laker said:

I take it then that you do not support anti-usury laws.

Please tell me which credit card companies are breaking usury laws. I don’t know of any. In any event the laws  are a joke and easily circumvented.  If you mean do I think lenders and borrowers should set whatever rate they like and be influenced by competition and market forces, yes.   It opens up options to more people wanting to access debt.  A national interest rate cap of 15% would dry up access to debt for many of the folks OAC and Bernie think they are helping.  But it fits into their campaign promise of ‘free shit for everyone’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Please tell me which credit card companies are breaking usury laws. I don’t know of any. In any event the laws  are a joke and easily circumvented.  If you mean do I think lenders and borrowers should set whatever rate they like and be influenced by competition and market forces, yes.   It opens up options to more people wanting to access debt.  A national interest rate cap of 15% would dry up access to debt for many of the folks OAC and Bernie think they are helping.  But it fits into their campaign promise of ‘free shit for everyone’. 

Pfooey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

Please tell me which credit card companies are breaking usury laws. I don’t know of any. In any event the laws  are a joke and easily circumvented.  If you mean do I think lenders and borrowers should set whatever rate they like and be influenced by competition and market forces, yes.   It opens up options to more people wanting to access debt.  A national interest rate cap of 15% would dry up access to debt for many of the folks OAC and Bernie think they are helping.  But it fits into their campaign promise of ‘free shit for everyone’. 

I believe there are many "payday" loans companies in the state of Washington that are presently under some form of investigation for usury laws.  As far as credit card companies, I believe there are some of the retail company cards that have had to be informed of the laws.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

FYI - you don't need a credit card to not lug cash around in 2019. That's not the point.

Just like the point of AOC was making sure community gardens allowed people to plant what they want. And you, in your rightwing way, misread it.

Yeah,  you're right there are other ways.  You could use checks or debit cards or some other arrangement like barter.

I have never heard of a community garden that did not allow people to grow any legal plant they wanted to but draw the line at some invasive species which tend to propogate easily.  We did have a problem here with Okra.  Turns out that it grows high and thick and some of the other gardeners  didn't like the sunlight blocking their spaces.  that was resolved by discussion.  Some might draw the line at hemp or poppies.  The other issue was the folks who wanted their patch to be organic and other folks didn't subscribe to their beliefs.  They are actually spreading all over the city where the politics are dominated by republicans.

AOC seems to have come up with politically correct vegetables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Laker said:

I believe there are many "payday" loans companies in the state of Washington that are presently under some form of investigation for usury laws.  As far as credit card companies, I believe there are some of the retail company cards that have had to be informed of the laws.  

Belief is a powerful thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saorsa said:

Belief is a powerful thing.

Only after talking to a person of my acquaintance.  One's network is important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Yeah,  you're right there are other ways.  You could use checks or debit cards or some other arrangement like barter.

I have never heard of a community garden that did not allow people to grow any legal plant they wanted to but draw the line at some invasive species which tend to propogate easily.  We did have a problem here with Okra.  Turns out that it grows high and thick and some of the other gardeners  didn't like the sunlight blocking their spaces.  that was resolved by discussion.  Some might draw the line at hemp or poppies.  The other issue was the folks who wanted their patch to be organic and other folks didn't subscribe to their beliefs.  They are actually spreading all over the city where the politics are dominated by republicans.

AOC seems to have come up with politically correct vegetables.

I am curious about the comment I bolded.  Care to expand on that?  It seems an odd off-hand comment, and I am curious about what you are implying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Yeah,  you're right there are other ways.  You could use checks or debit cards or some other arrangement like barter.

Checks :lol:

Not surprising you missed out on e-payments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I am curious about the comment I bolded.  Care to expand on that?  It seems an odd off-hand comment, and I am curious about what you are implying.

 

It was just an offhand comment.  Somehow the idea that only folks like AOC are interested in such things is a bit offensive.  Particularly when they decide to spout off on the political correctness of vegetables based on cultural stereotypes.

It's the affluent side of Punta Gorda that pushed for community gardens.  There had been a couple of efforts from the County extension service and University of Florida  to get them started but they fizzled and are now just overgrown messes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Saorsa said:
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I am curious about the comment I bolded.  Care to expand on that?  It seems an odd off-hand comment, and I am curious about what you are implying.

 

It was just an offhand comment.  Somehow the idea that only folks like AOC are interested in such things is a bit offensive.  Particularly when they decide to spout off on the political correctness of vegetables based on cultural stereotypes.

It's the affluent side of Punta Gorda that pushed for community gardens.  There had been a couple of efforts from the County extension service and University of Florida  to get them started but they fizzled and are now just overgrown messes. 

That reads like you view the terms "affluent" and "Republican" as synonyms.

Odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

That reads like you view the terms "affluent" and "Republican" as synonyms.

Odd.

I don't but that seems to be the consensus from the left.  There is a certain cacophony here with political viewpoints coming from around the country with differing demographics.

The general theme of rich fat cat republican and poor working class democrat seems a common theme in discourse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

The general theme of rich fat cat republican and poor working class democrat seems a common theme in discourse.

Pulling that out of your ass again I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betcha gardens would be more popular if food stamps went away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Betcha Ocasio-Cortez wouldn't be on your and your fellow rightest trolls hate list if she didn't do things like she did today:  Calling out Steve Mnuchin for being the swamp creature that he is for helping Eddie Lampert to raid Sears of its assets, rake in billions, and lay off thousands of working stiffs.  

Yeah, you just gotta hate on a young, smart woman from the wrong side of the the tracks.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/23/warren-ocasio-cortez-mnuchin-sears-bankruptcy-1341189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saorsa said:
3 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

That reads like you view the terms "affluent" and "Republican" as synonyms.

Odd.

I don't but that seems to be the consensus from the left.  There is a certain cacophony here with political viewpoints coming from around the country with differing demographics.

The general theme of rich fat cat republican and poor working class democrat seems a common theme in discourse.

You're mistaken

The consensus for pretty much everybody with a functioning central cortex ("lefties" to you) is that the Republican Party is working for the benefit of the very rich. Not that "Republicans" or "loyal Republican voters" are themselves rich.

There's a big difference

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Laker said:

I believe there are many "payday" loans companies in the state of Washington that are presently under some form of investigation for usury laws.  

Yep.  The typical quick response to a business that's been preying on the weak for 20 years at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I don't but that seems to be the consensus from the left. 

Huh?  What happened to the Silicon Valley Masters of the Universe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Huh?  What happened to the Silicon Valley Masters of the Universe?

I think they all invested  $72 a share for a taxi dispatching company losing $82 per share.

Oh, wait, that's the folks they were selling to.  Pretty much like Tesla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Yep.  The typical quick response to a business that's been preying on the weak for 20 years at least.

You should start up one of those microfinance banks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I think they all invested  $72 a share for a taxi dispatching company losing $82 per share.

Oh, wait, that's the folks they were selling to.  Pretty much like Tesla.

 You said that the consensus from the left is that rich people are republicans. I cited the lefty billionaires that get so under your skin to prove that you're lying again.  What are you talking about now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

You should start up one of those microfinance banks.

 You said that the consensus from the left is that rich people are republicans. I cited the lefty billionaires that get so under your skin to prove that you're lying again.  What are you talking about now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

 You said that the consensus from the left is that rich people are republicans. I cited the lefty billionaires that get so under your skin to prove that you're lying again.  What are you talking about now?

What about them?  I said the consensus, consensus doesn't make anything an absolute fact.  I regard consensus sociology on a par with any other consensus science.

Would it make you happier if I followed the usual bullshit of all the poor people in WV were stupid republicans and the poor people of the cities downtrodden democrats?

Rich lefties are no better or worse than rich righties.  The difference might be that they endow a chair in something rather than bribing the rowing or tennis coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

I think they all invested  $72 a share for a taxi dispatching company losing $82 per share.

Oh, wait, that's the folks they were selling to.  Pretty much like Tesla.

the core of those "taxi dispatching" companys is they told the big government to fuck itself and let the free market reign. What's a matter cunt, don't like what it's wrought? Or is this just your incoherent rage at those smarter, better educated, harder working and wealthier than your dumbass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I don't but that seems to be the consensus from the left.  There is a certain cacophony here with political viewpoints coming from around the country with differing demographics.

The general theme of rich fat cat republican and poor working class democrat seems a common theme in discourse.

What a load of Malarkey.

You tossed in your "offhand comment" and are now backpedaling.

Just admit it was stupid thing to say and no one would give you shit for saying it.  Try to defend it, and....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 4:20 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

I don't want her to have any non-youth voters, and frankly I don't care at all if she is in office.  If you haven't seen the way her comments move the debate, you're not paying much attention.

She has 4.5M twitter followers and 3.5M instagram followers and you can guess their demographics.  That's power, especially in a country without mandatory voting

 

 

 

she picked up a lot of Raul Castro followers since his posting have  dropped offf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MakePHRFGreatAgain said:

she picked up a lot of Raul Castro followers since his posting have  dropped offf

She just keeps collecting followers day after day.  Faster than trump too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

She just keeps collecting followers day after day.  Faster than trump too.

It's that damn Twitter expunging bogus accounts, that's what it is. Donny lost over a million last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:58 PM, Left Shift said:

Betcha Ocasio-Cortez wouldn't be on your and your fellow rightest trolls hate list if she didn't do things like she did today:  Calling out Steve Mnuchin for being the swamp creature that he is for helping Eddie Lampert to raid Sears of its assets, rake in billions, and lay off thousands of working stiffs.  

Yeah, you just gotta hate on a young, smart woman from the wrong side of the the tracks.

 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/23/warren-ocasio-cortez-mnuchin-sears-bankruptcy-1341189

yorktown is the wrong side of the tracks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, Steam Flyer said:

The consensus for pretty much everybody with a functioning central cortex ("lefties" to you) is that the Republican Party is working for the benefit of the very rich. Not that "Republicans" or "loyal Republican voters" are themselves rich.

Well, actually, it goes against the narrative, but in fact the lower income groups (less than $ 50K) voted for HRC. Trump was elected by those with higher incomes. 

Also outside the narrative - Ocasio's policy positions are popular with average USAeans, and like her the Reich should be outraged by the blatant corruption of the Trump cabinet (not just Trump). But ideologues that the are, they don't mind a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, hermetic said:

yorktown is the wrong side of the tracks?

Never been, but if it's like most exurb hamlets, it has one. 

Where the maids and cleaners and handymen and landscapers live. 

As opposed to the "right side of the tracks", where they work (for the Manhattan-commuting types who live there).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Reich know they cannot beat her on the issues . .  

because just about all her views are popular with the peeps . .  

so it's just this never-ending, dumb-shit ad hominemism  . . 

questioning her neighborhood ? Gimmie a flippen break !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

The Reich know they cannot beat her on the issues . .  

because just about all her views are popular with the peeps . .  

so it's just this never-ending, dumb-shit ad hominemism  . . 

Not to mention the leftist scum where the barnyard mentality never stops.

They pretend to be morally superior and some are actually stupid enough to believe it.

Fake outrage is the hallmark of these hypocrites, it's stamped into their foreheads. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody who isn’t one has to pretend to be morally superior to a Republican. The fact is, merely not being republican establishes ipso facto superiority to all who are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rat's ass said:

Not to mention the leftist scum where the barnyard mentality never stops.

They pretend to be morally superior and some are actually stupid enough to believe it.

Fake outrage is the hallmark of these hypocrites, it's stamped into their foreheads. :lol: 

^^^^^ That's some silly shit rat there ^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, frenchie said:
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:26 AM, hermetic said:

yorktown is the wrong side of the tracks?

Never been, but if it's like most exurb hamlets, it has one. 

Where the maids and cleaners and handymen and landscapers live. 

As opposed to the "right side of the tracks", where they work (for the Manhattan-commuting types who live there).

I've been there, played there in high school and visited a few college teammates who grew up there.  bluish / white collar, good school.  nice place, it ain't the bronx and it ain't "the wrong side of the tracks"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites