'Bacco

Refinishing Carbon Fiber

I have a carbon fiber tiller on my Schock 35 that is starting to lose its clear coat. Any suggestions on the best way to sand it down and what product to use to re-clear it? I would prefer a spray can clear if there is something that will hold up, as this will be a basement project during the winter. Thanks in advance.

I used a small random orbit sander and a bit of hand sanding. Automotive primer and gloss black. Not perfect but good enough for a tiller.  Took about a week mostly sanding and watching paint dry.

IMG_1486.JPG

That looks great. I would like to try and re-clear it if possible. I would like still be able to see the weave.

Black is a much safer bet from a UV degradation standpoint, both of the paint itself and the epoxy underneath. We've had carbon fiber thingies around for a few decades now, do we still need to see the weave? Is it still that novel and cool? Did people want to see the weave of the early fiberglass boats?

Black is safer, I you use clear-cut get it an auto body supply store, not a regular paint supplier.  The good stuff comes from Canada and is about $15. per can.  5 coats lasts about 5 years before it photo degrades in soCal.  I have used it for 10 years.  One can should be enough.  Follow directions exactly.  Good luck.

Not for the tiller, but for the boom we used in 2016 as recommended by the supplier:

Awlgrip J3890 AWL-Wood Clear Gloss

4 coats. Still looks fine.

1 hour ago, guerdon said:

The good stuff comes from Canada

We appreciate the recognition.

Black. Being able to see the weave is like worrying over nail polish color... it's girly. Epoxy really hates UV.

I'd paint it a 100 solid color.   If you want to go the clear coat route buy a can of SprayMax 2k Clear.   $25 get your enough for many coats and it's a tough 2-part UV Clear in a 2 chamber can.

I have been using uv stabilized epoxy for many years on my surfboards.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, solosailor said:

I'd paint it a 100 solid color.   If you want to go the clear coat route buy a can of SprayMax 2k Clear.   $25 get your enough for many coats and it's a tough 2-part UV Clear in a 2 chamber can.

We had great results using this stuff on our sprit.  2years old and still looks amazing.  All in the prep.  We did a careful sand and cleaned with a product from th same company.  2-3 coats of the 2K.    I have also used on bike parts that get far more abuse than the pole UV resistant, durable and easy for the DIYr.  

AF03770D-66F1-4B1F-A456-6F2613415C03.jpeg

White also makes it easy to spot areas of wear or damage to the paint because the CF peeks through with high contrast.