gobigkahuna

Waterproof Deck Plates?

My amas each have two 6 inch deck inspection plates that are dated and appear to be leaking.  Some are the "screw in" type and the others "pop in".  Both appear to be leaking and I'd like to replace them.  I found these at a local boat supply store, price is right and they appear to be no worse than what WM sells.  What's your experience?

20181118_100036.jpg

They need to be installed in a plane. If there's any camber to the deck where you install then they'll leak and then crack.

I have several in the fishboxes on my powerboat. They seem to stay on OK, but I'm not sure they are 100% watertight. Another option is Armstrong deck plates that I use in the motor wells for the OBs.

53 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

I have several in the fishboxes on my powerboat. They seem to stay on OK, but I'm not sure they are 100% watertight. Another option is Armstrong deck plates that I use in the motor wells for the OBs.

I've thought about Armstrong deck plates but not sure they will work on my boat, the deck is balsa cored and has non-skid.  I would probably take a lot of work to make the surface smooth enough for the gasket to seal.

1 hour ago, gobigkahuna said:

I've thought about Armstrong deck plates but not sure they will work on my boat, the deck is balsa cored and has non-skid.  I would probably take a lot of work to make the surface smooth enough for the gasket to seal.

Agree. You don't want exposed core.

5 hours ago, Moonduster said:

They need to be installed in a plane. If there's any camber to the deck where you install then they'll leak and then crack.

I gave the suspect hatches a closer look and they were not mounted on a flat surface.  There's a small amount of camber to the deck, but enough so that the cover doesn't seat properly.  I will have to build up the surface so that the mount will be flat.  Surprising just how much rain water accumulated from such a tiny gap, but I can't see anywhere else it might be coming in from.

Certainly seems wise to replace anything that just pops in. If they fail you suddenly have a big hole in the boat rather than a slow leak.

The trouble with Beckson is they don't use UV resistant plastic. The white ones will be yellow after about 1-2 seasons in the sun. On the other hand the cheaper copies don't seem much better. There are stainless ones with screw in deck plates that are forever. 

Anyone have any experience with deck plates by "Rabud" in Florida?  Four of the six deck plates in my boat were made by them and they seem to still be in pretty good shape.  Thicker and stronger than the other two (one Beckson and one West Marine) and unaffected by UV.  They are pop ins so I may replace them with "Twist-N-Lock" models just to be safe.

10 hours ago, DDW said:

The trouble with Beckson is they don't use UV resistant plastic. The white ones will be yellow after about 1-2 seasons in the sun. On the other hand the cheaper copies don't seem much better. There are stainless ones with screw in deck plates that are forever. 

I got black ones from Beckson.  They don't "yellow". 

The Becksons also take paint well, just don't get it on the threaded parts or where clearances are tight.

10 hours ago, PaulK said:

I got black ones from Beckson.  They don't "yellow". 

But they "grey"?

They keep out the water.