Sign in to follow this  
r2heisch

Aussie 18 Mast for an i550?

I originally wrote this on the i550 blog.  Very few were familiar with the Aussie rig.  Suggested that I try this forum...

I was able to find a mast, boom and sails from an Aussie 18 for next to nothing. I figure if I can't make them work, I didn't lose much.
Also I know I can't fool anybody, so I am sure from my terminology that you will realize that I am not a sailor. I can build things though...

The mast is 28' and has two shrouds in the shape of a diamond to keep it stiff, as I understand the Aussie 18 has no forestay. It is 3" in diameter at the base (3/16" thick aluminum) and tapers to 1-1/2" at the top. The boom is 11' long, which would put it hanging over my transom about 6". I was thinking about cutting the mast down to approximately 26' at the base; cutting 2' off of the boom and maybe having the main sail altered to fit the new specifications. (Also it should be noted that I'm not too concerned about the rules since I will never be racing anybody down here in Texas - just mainly concerned about stability, self-righting and safety)

So here are my questions:

1) Is there any reason why I should not use this mast for the i550?

2) Should I remove the diamond shrouds? Will they be in the way if I need to leave them?

3) Should I not cut anything down to size and leave the main sail alone as well, or will this be too much for this boat?
Also cutting the mast down 2' will only leave about 16"' of clearance from the cabin top to the boom if I leave the main the length that it currently is, so head clearance might suffer a bit.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Pic attached.

Mast.jpg

Update to my post.  The Aussie mast weighs 40 pounds, which includes the existing spreaders, cables, etc.  The Dwyer DM4, which is the aluminum choice for many for the i550,  (mast alone) would weigh about 30 pounds. 

My i550 will have two spreaders, the lower one about 16' from the top and upper about 6' from the top. 

Better pics of the mast itself are uploaded...

Mast3.jpg

Mast4.jpg

2 hours ago, r2heisch said:

I originally wrote this on the i550 blog.  Very few were familiar with the Aussie rig.  Suggested that I try this forum...

I was able to find a mast, boom and sails from an Aussie 18 for next to nothing. I figure if I can't make them work, I didn't lose much.
Also I know I can't fool anybody, so I am sure from my terminology that you will realize that I am not a sailor. I can build things though...

The mast is 28' and has two shrouds in the shape of a diamond to keep it stiff, as I understand the Aussie 18 has no forestay. It is 3" in diameter at the base (3/16" thick aluminum) and tapers to 1-1/2" at the top. The boom is 11' long, which would put it hanging over my transom about 6". I was thinking about cutting the mast down to approximately 26' at the base; cutting 2' off of the boom and maybe having the main sail altered to fit the new specifications. (Also it should be noted that I'm not too concerned about the rules since I will never be racing anybody down here in Texas - just mainly concerned about stability, self-righting and safety)

So here are my questions:

1) Is there any reason why I should not use this mast for the i550?

2) Should I remove the diamond shrouds? Will they be in the way if I need to leave them?

3) Should I not cut anything down to size and leave the main sail alone as well, or will this be too much for this boat?
Also cutting the mast down 2' will only leave about 16"' of clearance from the cabin top to the boom if I leave the main the length that it currently is, so head clearance might suffer a bit.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Pic attached.

Mast.jpg

r2heisch 

If you are going to cut the rig down to fit the boat then be careful when cutting the mast at the bottom. It sounds simple just moving the gooseneck up the mast. The thing is the mast may have a sleeve in it to help support the bottom of the mast and cutting the mast may take the support away if the sleeve is to short as well as changing the way the mast bends.

If the mast was keel stepped then you maybe able to shorten the bottom of the mast if going to deck step the mast. Now depending on how much bend you want at the top of the mast and for running mast head kites. Then you may consider cutting a foot or so off the top of the mast as well. If you are going to use the old sails you may then be able to cut the main to more of a square top.

The best thing you can do is talk to your local spar maker / rigger and sail maker as well and come up with the best plan suited for your Boat and the mast section. This way it will help with insurance cover as well if the mast fails down the track due to the modifications.

Pulpit 

I have nothing to add other than I am jealous that you have an i550 and wish you luck.

That Texas ranch looks dry as a bone. 

Get to the lake!

• Like 2

Having sold this boat and rigs I know what you have. 

You are on the wrong forum do get answers about dingy stuff.

Ask questions about 18 footers and their rigs on the dingy forum.

The 18 footers most definitely have a forestay. The forestays for all the rigs were in the jib luff on each jib. Check there. 

Good luck

Oh and the mast you bought was the smallest of the three rigs. The second set of spreaders is missing. The bracket is there.