Sign in to follow this  
Tembo

Trying to find out who makes this???

This is a 14ft Fiberglas dinghy I cant seem to find any information about. It’s got a 20ft mast, dagger board. Anyone recognize it?u

67C7177E-7C6E-4769-908F-4EA0E3D121E4.jpeg

looks newish so should have a hull number on the transon

the maker should be coded in the hull number/first letter part

post the letter/numbers and somebody will decode it the maker

My guess: Mistral 404, built by Bombardier.

Cute little boats, not very many around down here in the States. I thought they looked like a great mini-420 for smaller kids.

FB- Doug

It's an Alpha, or Alpha One. 10-15 were built in the Seattle area in early 80's.

Okay, thank you for the info. The sail bag has hand written “alpha” on it so I’m sure thats what it is. I’ve still yet to find a single photo of one of these boats or even the sail logo. I’m searching for any original information for restoration purposes as it has no dagger board or rudder at the moment.

thank you!

ED4C0B0A-6F9F-409C-A3D6-BDE251A61F92.jpeg

Check at sail sand point.

There may be one in the drysail yard.

Otherwise I'd recommend you just copy the shapes of  similar boats.

It must go by another name? “Alpha sailing dinghy” and every version of it, unfortunately comes up with nothing regarding this boat 

The AGX portion of the hull ID corresponds to "Alpha Racing Boats" as the manufacturer, basically telling you what you already know.

3 hours ago, Tembo said:

It must go by another name? “Alpha sailing dinghy” and every version of it, unfortunately comes up with nothing regarding this boat 

Nope, I think the build was pretty short lasted and possibly most boats went to one of the local beach/sailing clubs.

And it was pre internet.

Looks like a sobstad logo, SA member Poncho would likely have sold that sail. Pm him

I wonder why so few were made? Did they sail that badly? or to expensive for what they where? At any rate I’m looking forward to getting it on the water once I make a dagger board and rudder.  Looks like it should have no problem planing but we’ll see!

I sailed an Alpha with Oregon State University sailing in the late 80s - I recall they were transitioning to Laser 2s about that time.  I believe Western Washington University was still using them within the last 10 years(?) - perhaps reach out to them and possibly they can connect you with an alum of the team.  If they don't have the boats anymore, hopefully they went to school or community program that might still have them and can get some measurements off the boards and rudders.  

I bought mine a few months ago from a Western WA Univ alum who used to sail Them as a club boat. He rebuilt the rudder and did a nice job, except the stainless sheet metal he used is too light. You can see that it is starting to deform around the tiller, which I have to address before disaster strikes. I hope the photos help, if not, I would be happy to provide more info.

9F28B70F-C75C-4136-9A6A-81639BC740FD.jpeg

112C7055-E9BA-40D0-9C5B-38C55D7542EB.jpeg

AFBB3774-DA75-40CE-8134-C07299CB539E.jpeg

The dgger is 52” long, an inch thick, and tapers from 11-8 inches. I cannot upload any more photos, but I would be happy to provide them. If anyone has sails for this boat, let me know, I am looking for upgrades. Thanks

Thank you for those measurements! I ended up getting a hold of the western Washington University sailing coach and they are still currently using these alphas! He said they use the same dagger board and rudder as laser 2