Windward

Royal Huisman Flip

I did a search and didn't see this video posted elsewhere...   

Music needs to be more dramatic IMHO.

• Like 1

Anybody notice all the crane wheels that are off the ground?

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Anybody notice all the crane wheels that are off the ground?

Yeah, They are supported on hydraulic legs to provide a stable and level base.  The tires should always be off the ground for a heavy lift.

• Like 3

Fuck me - and I knew that (really)

I was having visions of this and had a brain fart.

This is what I was having visions of. Didn't take on the previous post for some reason.

6 hours ago, Omer said:

I was expecting somebody telling what was the weight of the hull that they were turning.

I don't think they really know: would imagine the keel is hollow for the turn and that the ballast will be added later. Can't imagine turning that with a fully ballasted keel.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

This is what I was having visions of. Didn't take on the previous post for some reason.

Seems fine, boat still got launched, lol.

4 minutes ago, Parma said:

I don't think they really know: would imagine the keel is hollow for the turn and that the ballast will be added later. Can't imagine turning that with a fully ballasted keel.

Yes, you're right. 

Huisman have a standard and well-orchestrated method for putting in the lead ballast.  Fairly early on in the build, preferably during winter months when the water in the canal is coldest, they pop the boat in the canal, and pour hot lead into the keel cavity.  The cold water running past keeps the aluminium keel plates from heating too much and distorting.  I watched them do this 28 years ago with Flyer II, the Frers maxi that won the 81/82 Whitbread.  An impressive process.

Of course this is a much bigger deal.  I would expect they have to do 2 or 3 pours.  What's the keel weight?  200 tons?  Just guessing. That would be a massive operation - well-worth watching.  Then they haul her out again after the lead's cooled, and back into the shed for finishing.

Anyway they did it with Jim Clark's large 3-masted schooner Athena so I'd think it's all planned nicely. 

4 hours ago, Parma said:

The naval architects know, probably in a pretty tight range of Kg.  They develop a table of weights as the design proceeds and they specify plate thicknesses, etc., so at that stage all the really have is the aluminium to add up.  Huismann also knows how much material they ordered, and probably paid for it by weight.

No engines, or marble countertops, gold bidets and hidden bondage chambers.  Those come later.  

Cranes have load sensors too. Even if they didnt know, they could record what the cranes are saying.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Omer said:

Cranes have load sensors too. Even if they didnt know, they could record what the cranes are saying.

yep , you gotta bet the crane op"s knew exactly what the load was .