daan62

dutch ac entry

apparantly simeon tienpont is starting a dutch ac campaign.... 

image.thumb.png.482e78801102075121d8f695cf4d8266.png

translation:

Holland Goes America's Cup !!!

Rotterdam / Muiden, 23 November 2018 - In a historical joint initiative, the KNZ & RV from Muiden and KR & ZV 'De Maas' from Rotterdam reported to the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron as challenger for the 36th America's Cup with a syndicate led by skipper Simeon Tent ferry.

From New Zealand The Royal Yacht Squadron responded enthusiastically to the Dutch late entry, partly due to the stature of the associations and the palmares of Tienpont, which in 2011 and 2013 was part of two winning America's Cup teams. The parties work to ensure that the Dutch registration can be officially ratified in the short term.
In the 2021, the finals of the 36th edition will be sailed from Auckland, New Zealand, the country of the winner of the last edition. The America's Cup is seen as the first international sporting event and originated in 1851, at the time organized by The Royal Yacht Squadron in England with a race around the Isle of Wight south of England. The cup bears the name of the first winning yacht, America.

Characteristic of the America's Cup format is that the defender is allowed to determine in which type of race ship the next America's Cup will end up. Tienpont has done intensive research in recent months into the feasibility of Dutch participation.

Tienpont: "Now is the chance for the Netherlands to get a Dutch challenger on the water for the first time in history. The design of the AC75 and the technical specifications are perfectly suited to the Dutch maritime and aviation industry. The America's Cup has always worked as a breeding ground for technology in competitive sailing, and now more than ever before, these innovations also attract the maritime industry. The Dutch maritime sector is recognized as a world leader; it is now a matter of using that leadership to achieve success in participating in the 36th America's Cup. Add to this that our competition sailors are among the best in the world. "

The enthusiasm of both water clubs with rich history is great. Chairman Jacob van der Goot from 'De Maas': "If you consider it right, it should have happened much sooner. Our history, the strength of our maritime industry and our sporting experience and talent force it off - an opportunity to be recognized at the highest level ". Michiel van Dis, chairman of KNZ & RV, adds: "The Deed of Gift of 'The Old Mug' appeals to us because it stipulates that challengers must take care of developments on Dutch soil; that the sailors must come from the Netherlands; and that at least 180 days a year in the Netherlands must be trained. Our participation in the America's Cup is a national matter; it is Dutch Glory pur sang. There is a great opportunity for Dutch water sports ".

Royal Dutch Sailing & Rowing Association

Wow I hope this is real too!  Four challengers would make The Prada cup a lot more interesting.

Simeon would not be an easy beat either i speculate.

1 minute ago, Kiwing said:

Wow I hope this is real too!  Four challengers would make The Prada cup a lot more interesting.

I'm going to guess that we will know much more on Thursday :)

Four is the magic number where suddenly the challenger series format actually makes sense.

Really hope this real.

3 hours ago, daan62 said:

and aviation industry

Fokker? 

Appears to be a joint challenge by two yacht clubs.

I wonder how that would work under the DoG?

As far as the reality of this, until it's announced where the money is coming from, it's all very vague

11 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

As far as the reality of this, until it's announced where the money is coming from, it's all very vague

Also, and this could be a Dutch translation problem, the yacht clubs "reported" to RNZYS as a challenger. That could mean anything. 

2 hours ago, Kiwing said:

If anyone can hide some extra weight in the foils its him!

• Like 1

Saw him lugging a suitcase from base to hotel a couple of volvos ago. Mate and I shamelessly followed him asking how much lead he had in the case.

Luckily my mate is much bigger than he is.

• Like 2

The Dutch got a lot of publicity with two high-profile teams in the VOR which would make getting sailing sponsorship easier. If the word "easier" could possibly be used in finding $100's of millions.

Tienpont also seems to be close to VOR team mate Brad Farrand who is, incidentally, great mates with Tuke. So it all adds up - they're definitely in :P

Fantastic news if it can come together.

Where does the money come from?

Brunel doesnt have close to the resources to make even a small contribution.   Akzo Nobel and Tienpont have a shaky relationship at best.

In terms of the super rich, its a relatively short list : The Heineken family (beer ) , the Brenninkmeijer family  (retail) and the Van Der Vorms (shipping and then investments)  + a few mere billionaires.  

Plenty of big corporates : Unilever, Royal Dutch Shell, Phillips, Banks and Insurance, SHV etc ??   ABN Amro and Akzo sponsored Volvo entries but have any other large dutch corporates sponsored sailing?

11 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Fantastic news if it can come together.

Where does the money come from?

Brunel doesnt have close to the resources to make even a small contribution.   Akzo Nobel and Tienpont have a shaky relationship at best.

In terms of the super rich, its a relatively short list : The Heineken family (beer ) , the Brenninkmeijer family  (retail) and the Van Der Vorms (shipping and then investments)  + a few mere billionaires.  

Plenty of big corporates : Unilever, Royal Dutch Shell, Phillips, Banks and Insurance, SHV etc ??   ABN Amro and Akzo sponsored Volvo entries but have any other large dutch corporates sponsored sailing?

BOSKALIS? then they can clear up the mess afterwards?

29 minutes ago, teamvmg said:

BOSKALIS? then they can clear up the mess afterwards?

They certainly have plenty of cash. It would be their best investment in 'fleet expansion' ever...

17 hours ago, 2Newts said:

Fokker? 

I would think airborne and possibly specto aerospace as well, they have 'claves and clean rooms, and a lot more of the fun stuff needed. Then just fly a bunch of boatbuilders in to put it together. Try to get Killian busche back to NL I would say.

• Like 1

A Gtran of

https://www.nauticlink.com/nieuwsdienst/2018/11/28/111142670/simeon-tienpont-gaat-namens-knzrv-muiden-en-rotterdamse-krzv-de-maas-voor-de-36ste-americas-cup/

Simeon Tienpont on behalf of KNZ & RV Muiden and Rotterdam KR & ZV' De Maas 'for the 36th America's Cup'

Muiden, Rotterdam - A Dutch team led by Simeon Tienpont wants to participate in the upcoming America's Cup in 2021. The KNZ & RV from Muiden and KR & ZV 'De Maas' from Rotterdam have reported to the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron as challenger for the 36th America's Cup. Tienpont, the former skipper of Team AkzoNobel and America's Cup winner, seems the ideal foreman.

The costs for the America's Cup are in stark contrast to, for example, the Volvo Ocean Race. The amount that Ben Ainslie managed to rake at INEOS is about 125 million euros (!). Or Tienpont, together with the KNZ & RV and the KR & ZV, will manage to collect a comparable amount for successful participation. Participation depends on one or more major donors and although the Netherlands, as Tienpont already indicates, plays a major role in the maritime sector, it is still a question of whether the wallets are being drawn. Moreover, it is about a million more expensive to sign up after the registration date. (Sailing, www.americascup.com)

If an extra million is worrying then one would wonder about the likelihood of having the other hundred plus in hand.

13 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

If an extra million is worrying then one would wonder about the likelihood of having the other hundred plus in hand.

Don't think it will happen from the reading that has been put forward. Sounds to me Simeon is putting it out there to see what comes back? 

The good thing about the fake Dutch entry is that nobody will be talking about the fake Italian entries any more

• Like 1

A party I can think of is Vitol Group, they supported BAR too. Shares are in-house, many millionaires there. I believe ten % of employees is a millionaire. So a tax deductible sponsorship is possible. 2016 year profit a measly 2000 million dollar.
But it is not really a Dutch company any more but a multinational, though started in Rotterdam and registered in the Netherlands.

Having Tienpont involved should be good for a laugh, based on his inability to manage a Volvo campaign properly. His whole campaign was poorly planned from the decision to be late on the water so as to get a new boat to his financial management to his inability to work with his sponsor to his crew selection and subsequent mutiny and much more. The who project would have been a total disaster if Nico hadn't been persuaded to join the crew.

Would that be the same Misha that was so successful in the foiling Moths?

On 11/27/2018 at 3:55 PM, Tornado-Cat said:

I hope that Misha Hemskeert will be in the team, world's best A cat sailor with Glenn Ashby.

4 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Would that be the same Misha that was so successful in the foiling Moths?

Yes, second after Glenn Ashby.

Then I would think he would certainly be a part of any Dutch effort. I met him along with a large part of the DNA team while they were in Newport at the boat show this fall. They were there trialing/promoting the TF 10 tri and I would think that DNA would be likely as the builder for a AC 75. Lots of talent in that bunch. 

1 hour ago, A Class Sailor said:

Having Tienpont involved should be good for a laugh, based on his inability to manage a Volvo campaign properly. His whole campaign was poorly planned from the decision to be late on the water so as to get a new boat to his financial management to his inability to work with his sponsor to his crew selection and subsequent mutiny and much more. The who project would have been a total disaster if Nico hadn't been persuaded to join the crew.

:D

Why is anyone giving this fake story and publicity????  They ARE NOT going to enter.  If they were, they would have already!!!!

Just now, Enzedel92 said:

Why is anyone giving this fake story and publicity????  They ARE NOT going to enter.  If they were, they would have already!!!!

Because he the dutchman wants the publicity. Feeds his ego....

Not sure how you put that in the first post, but I couldn't read it that way.

Holland Goes America's Cup !!!

Rotterdam / Muiden, 23 November 2018 - In a historical joint initiative, the KNZ & RV from Muiden and KR & ZV 'De Maas' from Rotterdam reported to the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron as challenger for the 36th America's Cup with a syndicate led by skipper Simeon Tent ferry.

From New Zealand The Royal Yacht Squadron responded enthusiastically to the Dutch late entry, partly due to the stature of the associations and the palmares of Tienpont, which in 2011 and 2013 was part of two winning America's Cup teams. The parties work to ensure that the Dutch registration can be officially ratified in the short term.
In the 2021, the finals of the 36th edition will be sailed from Auckland, New Zealand, the country of the winner of the last edition. The America's Cup is seen as the first international sporting event and originated in 1851, at the time organized by The Royal Yacht Squadron in England with a race around the Isle of Wight south of England. The cup bears the name of the first winning yacht, America.

Characteristic of the America's Cup format is that the defender is allowed to determine in which type of race ship the next America's Cup will end up. Tienpont has done intensive research in recent months into the feasibility of Dutch participation.

Tienpont: "Now is the chance for the Netherlands to get a Dutch challenger on the water for the first time in history. The design of the AC75 and the technical specifications are perfectly suited to the Dutch maritime and aviation industry. The America's Cup has always worked as a breeding ground for technology in competitive sailing, and now more than ever before, these innovations also attract the maritime industry. The Dutch maritime sector is recognized as a world leader; it is now a matter of using that leadership to achieve success in participating in the 36th America's Cup. Add to this that our competition sailors are among the best in the world. "

The enthusiasm of both water clubs with rich history is great. Chairman Jacob van der Goot from 'De Maas': "If you consider it right, it should have happened much sooner. Our history, the strength of our maritime industry and our sporting experience and talent force it off - an opportunity to be recognized at the highest level ". Michiel van Dis, chairman of KNZ & RV, adds: "The Deed of Gift of 'The Old Mug' appeals to us because it stipulates that challengers must take care of developments on Dutch soil; that the sailors must come from the Netherlands; and that at least 180 days a year in the Netherlands must be trained. Our participation in the America's Cup is a national matter; it is Dutch Glory pur sang. There is a great opportunity for Dutch water sports ".

Royal Dutch Sailing & Rowing Association

^ Boilerplate. Being chauvinistic here, but Italian fake teams were far more imaginative

Unless they have a private backer out there this is not gonna happen. And even then they are a bit late.

But we will see

I offered to help the two clubs (presidents) - being a Dutchman and (former High Performance) sailor in Auckland - in two separate emails two weeks ago and I got zero response

They know me in the Netherlands, if this was real I would have heard something by now

Agree with Enzedel

not gonna happen

On 12/10/2018 at 8:21 PM, terrafirma said:

Not happening unfortunately.

They're in...

Emirates Team New Zealand and the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron are pleased to announce the acceptance of a sixth Challenger for the 36th America’s Cup, from The Netherlands.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/373_Dutch-entry-makes-it-six-Americas-Cup-Challengers.html

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, Enzedel92 said:

Or this....

• Like 1

"Today Emirates Team New Zealand have advised the Auckland Council and Government that if there ultimately are not six challengers, there is an option not to build the Hobson Wharf extension as five teams can be accommodated on Wynyard Point saving taxpayer money." this sentence doesn't suggest a lot of confidence everyone will turn up.

Just now, Horn Rock said:

Or this....

Most hilarious was the Commenter who said he offered help and got no response from them and because of that he said they wouldn't make it.

I was cautiously optimistic that they might make it. I would have put at 50/50.

Another design pack from ETNZ? I wonder which one they went for - budget, standard, or primo, which now includes a bonus Jimmy camo wheel replica.....

1 minute ago, SCARECROW said:

"Today Emirates Team New Zealand have advised the Auckland Council and Government that if there ultimately are not six challengers, there is an option not to build the Hobson Wharf extension as five teams can be accommodated on Wynyard Point saving taxpayer money." this sentence doesn't suggest a lot of confidence everyone will turn up.

The Challenge/Team who is at most risk not making it is IMO the Malta Team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I was cautiously optimistic that they might make it.

Going to be the best cup ever......

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The Challenge/Team who is at most risk not making it is IMO the Malta Team.

Yeah, something a little shady about this challenge......I'm hoping it's legit though.....

Really happy to see a nation with such a rich maritime history have a crack at the ultimate yachting prize. Just have to get entries from Portugal and Spain now.

• Like 1

"We will be reaching out to Prada and the Challenger of Record to discuss further planning for the events in light of this exciting news. We are hoping and expect them to embrace this latest entry in line with the underlying philosophy of the America’s Cup being a friendly competition between foreign countries.”

So some more chats over pasta and pizza and a few Chiantis....

and of course.... "The latest challenge now brings the 36th America’s Cup presented by Prada line up to seven teams, the most since the 32nd America’s Cup in 2007 in Valencia."

At this stage of AC 34 we had 13 entries.  Someone needs to stop counting fat ladies.

3 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

This is worth noting.

But there is another point here.  The assumption all along is that LR will have a nice fancy double base on Hobson Wharf. This suggests that approach is not set in stone.

The Wynyard Point plans make provision for two double bases and three singles for a total of five teams.  Moving LR to Wynyard Point, and assuming the same area, would provide three double bases and one single for a total of four teams.  Where does #5 go?  Is there flexibility with the land availability at the Wynyard Point area?

And how does LR feel about being squeezed in with the rabble?

3 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

"Today Emirates Team New Zealand have advised the Auckland Council and Government that if there ultimately are not six challengers, there is an option not to build the Hobson Wharf extension as five teams can be accommodated on Wynyard Point saving taxpayer money." 

This is really quite remarkable. They cannot have a lot of faith in some of the announced challengers, let alone those who have submitted "conditional" entries. Sounds to me that 5 is the most likely number in the end. Makes the bold announcement that it is the most challengers since 2007 seem a little hollow, but why let reality get in the way of a good story.

^

fluff. if there aren't 6, don't need to build the hobson. double negative at the get go. what they may mean is, please don't panic. not quite remarkable.

39 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

This is really quite remarkable. They cannot have a lot of faith in some of the announced challengers, let alone those who have submitted "conditional" entries. Sounds to me that 5 is the most likely number in the end. Makes the bold announcement that it is the most challengers since 2007 seem a little hollow, but why let reality get in the way of a good story.

I'd say they can certainly have faith in the announced challengers, after all, as Dalts has stated on multiple occasions, space on the Auckland Waterfront is at a premium. Its first in, first served this cycle. Each team has to negotiate, and commit to a base location, type and size, therefor they need to have plans in place to lease space in Auckland. I would say most if not all of these Challengers are serious and will make it to the start line in 2021.

6 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Yeah, something a little shady about this challenge......I'm hoping it's legit though.....

Knowing Malta, I unfortunately have to agree. Might not make it in the end, but will somehow find a way to rip off the Maltese population. Or make legal coins out of illegal ones.

The NL news are a nice early X-mas gift. 

• Like 1

Good news NL are in. A major sailing nation and I think their first ever AC challenge?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A Class Sailor said:

Tienpont (Dutch Entry) I can see making it, Malta on the other hand with no Maltese Sailors at all having trained or having similar Sailboat Experience + no Boatyard to boot I can't see making the Prada Cup.

Very excited news. I hope they can pull it off financially

Speculating:

- Built at Holland Composites which already has experience with foiling boats (Gunboat G4, DNA)?

- Mischa Heemskerk involved?

The yard (likely Holand Composites) to build it kept a 5 month building slot open for over a year. Own design I think, but people still waiting for the drawings to start building parts. So maybe the package deal. First AC for the Dutch.

Yep first challenge but long involvement in design  dating back decades to Australia II and proud ancient pedigree in naval development - Flying Dutchman, anyone.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mfluder said:

I'd say they can certainly have faith in the announced challengers, after all, as Dalts has stated on multiple occasions, space on the Auckland Waterfront is at a premium. Its first in, first served this cycle. Each team has to negotiate, and commit to a base location, type and size, therefor they need to have plans in place to lease space in Auckland. I would say most if not all of these Challengers are serious and will make it to the start line in 2021.

If Dalts has confidence in all the challengers, why issue that statement to Auckland council? It would be pointless. The only reason for making that statement is because you do not have faith in all the challengers.

11 minutes ago, A Class Sailor said:

If Dalts has confidence in all the challengers, why issue that statement to Auckland council? It would be pointless. The only reason for making that statement is because you do not have faith in all the challengers.

I completely agree. Of the current challengers, Malta seems sketchy and I worry about funding with S&S. I’m hoping they all make it. 

21 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Or a message to LR that if they don't accept some teams they will mix with the peasants.

"Today Emirates Team New Zealand have advised the Auckland Council and Government that if there ultimately are not six challengers, there is an option not to build the Hobson Wharf extension as five teams can be accommodated on Wynyard Point saving taxpayer money."

For the fun let's read this very simple sentance at different levels:

- First level, the fan level: DG is genuine and has good faith in the nomber of challengers

- Second level: GD does not believe he will have the number of challengers

- Third level: GD sends a message to LR

- Fourth level: GD sends a message to the italians and at the same time pays himself a good image regarding the spendings but he knows he will not make up the numbers.

I chose the fourth level :)

Still picking at that scab???

How about the English first language level;

I know we have more entries than bases at the moment, but don't freak out about acquiring more land because they may not all make it through the vetting process.

15 hours ago, Monkey said:

I completely agree. Of the current challengers, Malta seems sketchy and I worry about funding with S&S. I’m hoping they all make it. 

Malta is the most likely not to make it. I Stars & Stripes will pull it off and also the new Dutch Team.

5 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Malta is the most likely not to make it. I Stars & Stripes will pull it off and also the new Dutch Team.

Sorry A4E, but until I see big sponsors or absurdly deep pocketed backers, I’m just not ready to believe. I still hope they all make it. 

On 12/21/2018 at 2:35 PM, dg_sailingfan said:

Most hilarious was the Commenter who said he offered help and got no response from them and because of that he said they wouldn't make it.

I was cautiously optimistic that they might make it. I would have put at 50/50.

That Commenter did get a response in the meantime, with an apology for the lateness of it

Hilarious....

• Like 1

by the way, way to go at 50/50 dg.

can you be more on the fence next time p-lease

• Like 1

How exciting is this, our Dutch author at today's official launch of Team The Netherlands, led by Simeon Tienpont, an official challenger for the 36th America's Cup in 2021!

It's been a long time coming, the Dutch were actually invited to compete in the £100 Cup race in 1851 for what ultimately became the America's Cup but for some reason didn't make it and have never competed since.....

If you want to read an engaging novel about that first race and the origins of the World's oldest international sporting trophy, it's available viawww.1851cup.com.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

3 hours ago, Xlot said:

Salamander?

The name of the (single) AC75,  which will be launched in March 2020 just in time for the ACWS event in Scheveningen in June!

Protocol? We don’t need no steenking protocol ...

All seems pretty thin.  Only four principals named, albeit worthy names.

We do know for certain that the team led by Simeon Tienpont, put enough cash on the table to have the RNZYS formally accept the challenge.

Tienpont reportedly waffled  in today's FP account of the Dutch announcement:  "Simeon remains vague about the budget. He only wants to add a number later on."

It will be good to have a viable challenger from the Netherlands but there is scant hard evidence thus far to confirm that the effort is gaining traction.

15 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

that the effort is gaining traction.

He needs to put the lead in the boot rather than the grill.

Not yet, team members sailing the boat still to be announced. Appears they need a lot of trimmers, and a few Finn sailors can do that :)

3 hours ago, dogwatch said:

No Dirk de Ridder then?

No sarcasm font then?

40 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Wasn't sarcastic.

Don't think they are best friends since Tienpont flipped on de Ridder at the infamous AC World series kingpost/lead scandal in 2012 (AC 34th SanFran 2013).

Oh, was Tienpont "Sailor X"? It is all receding to the back of my memory now.

6 minutes ago, dogwatch said:

Oh, was Tienpont "Sailor X"? It is all receding to the back of my memory now.

Thought that " Sailor X" was higher up. I never heard the real story though, and everyone was properly gagged and/or paid off, I believe. Long time ago indeed, but hope to hear the real story sometime.

Oh come now.

Popular opinion is that if something a bit off had happened that everyone would have sung the true story by now, because there is no holding back the golden starling that is truth. 

3 hours ago, barfy said:

Oh come now.

Popular opinion is that if something a bit off had happened that everyone would have sung the true story by now, because there is no holding back the golden starling that is truth. 

Whatever, I would be very surprised to see Dirk sailing with Simeon.

And do tell us, who was "Sailor X" then?

That's entirely my point, as it was yours.no-one has any informed idea due to the efficiency of the internal investigation/cover up by team OR.

• Like 1