PinkSpinnaker

what was it?

7 minutes ago, dulia36 said:

and we still have to install the bulb

I don't think that's going to help the present situation.

Kiwi 35 sunk at the dock in the sub pen, Key west. Sunk by...Ocean Planet.

If I recall.

1 hour ago, jhc said:

Kiwi 35 sunk at the dock in the sub pen, Key west. Sunk by...Ocean Planet.

If I recall.

You recall correct

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/28643-this-just-in-kiwi-35-sank-at-key-west/

Yup. In theory sunk after ocean planet rammed into it trying to escape the onshore breeze.  Very sad day that was.  

They just pull the drain stopper!

14 hours ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

Or what did it used to be?

IMG_1236.JPG

Dude, why are you bringing up that event from so many years ago that had to cause lots of folks a lot of pain?

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Howe do you no 'PickSpinackere's name ist Ed?

I know it's painful to do, but check da front page.

12 minutes ago, moxie said:

This is from 2006.  The Ed is desperate for some traffic.

So what's the story??

It was the Kiwi 35 "In Theory" from Newport RI, optimized by her owners.  Eliboat is correct, we were both there and part of the crew.  I had designed her optimizations (racks, asym sprit) with Rodger Martin Design.  We spent most of the day keeping the rig (a Mumm 30 rig) away from the dock, then when wind calmed craned her out.  What was left of her was towed back home.

I started designing a new boat for the owners on the plane ride back home, using the saved rig.  They home-built the new boat themselves with help from the crew,  ... carbon prepreg, and even built their own oven.  

6-7 years later, "Bella" emerged from the shop.  She is in Newport, RI and a lot of fun to sail.  Each year she gets some tweaks and gets faster.  Here is Bella:

http://www.rodgermartindesign.com/portfolio/32-6-custom-carbon-sportboat/

• Like 3

What a tragic episode that was. So sad for the owners of that boat but from the ashes rose a really cool and fun boat...Mike and Mark - as well as the rest of their team - are really great people and I have had the pleasure of sailing with and against them for many moons. Looking forward to locking horns again in 2019. 

19 minutes ago, Ross110 said:

It was the Kiwi 35 "In Theory" from Newport RI, optimized by her owners.  Eliboat is correct, we were both there and part of the crew.  I had designed her optimizations (racks, asym sprit) with Rodger Martin Design.  We spent most of the day keeping the rig (a Mumm 30 rig) away from the dock, then when wind calmed craned her out.  What was left of her was towed back home.

I started designing a new boat for the owners on the plane ride back home, using the saved rig.  They home-built the new boat themselves with help from the crew,  ... carbon prepreg, and even built their own oven.  

6-7 years later, "Bella" emerged from the shop.  She is in Newport, RI and a lot of fun to sail.  Each year she gets some tweaks and gets faster.  Here is Bella:

Bella looks awesome! Whats it rate?

15 hours ago, Frumious Bandersnatch said:

Yup, John Thomson's Wing Thing. Sailed it in Thirsty Thursday so many years ago in Manhasset Bay.

May have been built by Gary Carlin.

Wow, i remember her. I was lucky enough to sail on her in the mid or late eighties once or twice, of course there was no wind in the summer here for thirsty Thursdays  (typical WLIS) and no real fun. Would have loved  to sail her in breeze. Props to John Thompson, one of the best!  I still sail with JR. now and then each year.

I might have said the same thing in the first thread, but forgot. Sucks getting old.

5 hours ago, Ross110 said:

Cool!  Thanks for splainin' it Lucy!  Er, I mean Ross!

Bella is available if it isn't already gone.  Mark picked up a J/120 at the end of this season and sailed that in a few of the end of season races..

Bill,  you shouldn’t assume. Bella is tucked away and ready for some TLC. I doubt you have seen the last of her...

PS  While that was an awful day I wouldn’t have it any other way. I learned so much because of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, In Theory said:

Bill,  you shouldn’t assume. Bella is tucked away and ready for some TLC. I doubt you have seen the last of her...

:lol:

BRING ON 2019!

18 minutes ago, In Theory said:

On the hard for the winter same spot as last year?  I saw her when I fixed the Catalina smile on a friends boat on the hard next to it.

13 hours ago, In Theory said:

Nope, tucked back in its birthplace. Up on stands, warm and dry.....

That sounds more believable!