Editor

which one?

We have two iconic 30’s from the MORC days listed for sail in our Classifieds. They are both very compelling. Both priced similarly. Which would you choose?

davidson-30-300x191.jpgPendragon, designed by Laurie Davidson, and built by master builder John Rea in NZ in 1984.

The design was commissioned by a famous SoCal sailor to compete in the 1985 Morc International Regatta. We have been the stewards of this incredible boat for the last 7 years, and have improved and maintained her in constant racing condition.

wolfpack-300x165.jpgWolfpack is set up for Pac Cup double handed and was class winner and top 5 overall in 2014,2016 and 2018. Professionally rigged, wired and maintained. email for full inventory and link to pictures and documents.

Large sail inventory, safety gear and computer come with boat. Almost everything you need to do the race. Includes trailer.

As much as I admire all things LD and the build of the Davo, I have to go with Wolfpack on this one.

FWIW, while the Davo 30 was built for the owner of the various Pendragons, this one is ex-Stardancer - not Pendragon

Above.  Was Stardancer, not Pendragon and the famous SoCal sailor was John McLaurin.

Wolfpack for me though.

3 hours ago, Editor said:

We have two iconic 30’s from the MORC days listed for sail in our Classifieds. They are both very compelling. Both priced similarly. Which would you choose?

davidson-30-300x191.jpgPendragon, designed by Laurie Davidson, and built by master builder John Rea in NZ in 1984.

The design was commissioned by a famous SoCal sailor to compete in the 1985 Morc International Regatta. We have been the stewards of this incredible boat for the last 7 years, and have improved and maintained her in constant racing condition.

wolfpack-300x165.jpgWolfpack is set up for Pac Cup double handed and was class winner and top 5 overall in 2014,2016 and 2018. Professionally rigged, wired and maintained. email for full inventory and link to pictures and documents.

Large sail inventory, safety gear and computer come with boat. Almost everything you need to do the race. Includes trailer.

my bad - Stardancer, not Pendragon

I spent a lot of time sailing Stardancer in it's first couple of years and had always lusted over it. You should see the clear coated wood framing in the interior, it was beautifully made in NZ and had a beautiful orig. blue hull paint job, the 1st original Stardancer (not this one) was made in CA by Steve Austin and that one was quietly burned/trashed (ask Kimo) so this one was built in NZ to replace that one but I think I would pick Wolfpack, It was built by Larry Tuttle who is a legend located in Davenport Landing, CA and extremely well respected, he makes some truly beautiful gear. Ask any 505 sailor, it would be an honor to have anything he made.

It would be helpful for buyers if both sellers posted a lot more detailed photo's

Stardancer is also far from being a stable downwind boat, it loves to round up. Plus Stardancer has seen many miles and owners, it was a fragile boat to begin with and the wood framing for that boat needed looking after which John MacLaurin. always made sure it was being properly cared for and always had a dehumidifier on down below but did the later owners do the same? Don't get me wrong Stardancer is an awesome boat. Cheers to John for commissioning that boat!

Both boats are very nice especially in the details unlike most other boats. Great to see to that there still getting mentioned.

1 hour ago, spectator said:

I spent a lot of time sailing Stardancer in it's first couple of years and had always lusted over it. You should see the clear coated wood framing in the interior, it was beautifully made in NZ and had a beautiful orig. blue hull paint job, the 1st original Stardancer (not this one) was made in CA by Steve Austin and that one was quietly burned/trashed (ask Kimo) so this one was built in NZ to replace that one but I think I would pick Wolfpack, It was built by Larry Tuttle who is a legend located in Davenport Landing, CA and extremely well respected, he makes some truly beautiful gear. Ask any 505 sailor, it would be an honor to have anything he made.

It would be helpful for buyers if both sellers posted a lot more detailed photo's

Stardancer is also far from being a stable downwind boat, it loves to round up. Plus Stardancer has seen many miles and owners, it was a fragile boat to begin with and the wood framing for that boat needed looking after which John MacLaurin. always made sure it was being properly cared for and always had a dehumidifier on down below but did the later owners do the same? Don't get me wrong Stardancer is an awesome boat. Cheers to John for commissioning that boat!

Both boats are very nice especially in the details unlike most other boats. Great to see to that there still getting mentioned.

Some photos of the Davo interior taken when it was for sale about 8 years ago...plus epic wipeout at WIRW

2116566_10.jpg

2116566_9.jpg

2116566_13.jpg

96888779238281829304.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

wolfpack and change the keel to a bulb.

I think that mod has been done, the photos don't show it however. There was a thread here a few years back. Looks like a weapon of a 30 footer with a top notch build.

1 hour ago, 12 metre said:

Some photos of the Davo interior taken when it was for sale about 8 years ago...plus epic wipeout at WIRW.

2116566_13.jpg

That was quick, nice job on the pics.

Looks like S>dancer was in very nice shape down below in those pics.

Really Scooter?  Hawking your classys on the mythical FP?  WTF??? Don't take your own advice, or that of your 1000s or maybe 100s oh, OK, your 10s of subscribers?  Like they say BUY AN AD!

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, samc99us said:

I think that mod has been done, the photos don't show it however. There was a thread here a few years back. Looks like a weapon of a 30 footer with a top notch build.

I do not think so!  Wolfpack's keel five minutes agoIMG_2605.thumb.jpg.fc66a014823917981ed3a1e352f784ea.jpg

Again, FWIW...ex-Stardancer was renamed "Dangerous When Wet" when relocated to PNW several years ago...

Part of the "Dangerous When...." line of boats I assume, such as the FT10 "Dangerous When Striped"

post-1785-064461900 1330404138.jpg

17 minutes ago, B dock said:

I do not think so!  Wolfpack's keel five minutes agoIMG_2605.thumb.jpg.fc66a014823917981ed3a1e352f784ea.jpg

I was basing my thoughts on this thread: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/130267-donovan-30-gets-new-foils/

Sounds like there may still be a new keel+bulb in a shed somewhere, and probably a reason it wasn't installed! Neat boat regardless, hard to go wrong with a WaterRat build!

Wolfpack looks like a nice low cost entry for Pac Cup. Well put together package and the made by Tuttle bit is huge. Anything he makes is worth keeping.

If I hadn't already bought my recent ride, I'd be looking hard at this one.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:59 AM, samc99us said:

raced on a MORC boat a while back and even though it was just plywood and glass, the thing was a monster, particularly in light air where we raced.  with the right strengthening, and maybe a conversion to bowsprit, just about all of these boats could become giant killers.  A little heaving in some cases for planing, but quite the opportunity for Monster Garage....

48 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

raced on a MORC boat a while back and even though it was just plywood and glass, the thing was a monster, particularly in light air where we raced.  with the right strengthening, and maybe a conversion to bowsprit, just about all of these boats could become giant killers.  A little heaving in some cases for planing, but quite the opportunity for Monster Garage....

Not sure if those mods would be of much benefit.  While it is likely that a MORC-Maxi will never truly plane, they were pretty quick offwind as they were.  Quoting from a thread in another web-site: 

"In her first race, with a downwind start, the first Adhara 30 reached the bottom mark ahead of some pretty big boats. After rounding and heading up the beat the big boats started passing. This one is the Davidson 45 Pendragon II."

Here you see the Adhara to weather of the much bigger Pendoggie: 

Yeah, I know it's just one race - but still...

Mr V rolls Pendoggie.jpg

On 11/29/2018 at 12:47 PM, 12 metre said:

Again, FWIW...ex-Stardancer was renamed "Dangerous When Wet" when relocated to PNW several years ago...

Part of the "Dangerous When...." line of boats I assume, such as the FT10 "Dangerous When Striped"

I don't think so. That FT10 is now known as Tigger, and I think the owners of the Davidson "Dangerous When Wet" previously owned a j/29 with the same name.  

Cool boat, I'm surprised that it didn't sell yet. I also think the Martin is pretty cool too, it used to be on my dock and I'm friends with a prior owner (probably every sailor in Seattle is friends with Kirk, he's a great guy and does a lot for the local racing community). 

20 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Here you see the Adhara to weather of the much bigger Pendoggie: 

Yeah, I know it's just one race - but still...

Yeah, not just that one race, and not necessarily a big accomplishment for the Adhara.

That particular Pendragon was ridiculously sticky off the wind.  The shape said it should have boogied, but it was just too much ass to drag around and it never seemed able to get going.

I did a Cabo race on the boat, years ago, when the owner was thinking about doing a Transpac.  In the middle section we had about 36 hours of pertty much *perfect* conditions - 20+ knots at 150 apparent with a 6-foot (surfable) swell...and no matter what we tried we couldn't get the boat to break loose from her own wave-train.  Super frustrating.  I decided to do something else for Transpac (and, as it turns out, the owner did too.)

$.02

On 11/30/2018 at 7:53 PM, Alex W said:

I don't think so. That FT10 is now known as Tigger, and I think the owners of the Davidson "Dangerous When Wet" previously owned a j/29 with the same name.  

Cool boat, I'm surprised that it didn't sell yet. I also think the Martin is pretty cool too, it used to be on my dock and I'm friends with a prior owner (probably every sailor in Seattle is friends with Kirk, he's a great guy and does a lot for the local racing community). 

Yup that's Tigger, she was in the Winter Vashon race this weekend.

Both great boats-2 of the 4 or 5 top MORC boats ever.

I'd say Wolfpack for distance because it's all sorted perfectly for that, and it would be a crime to undo Erkelens work to turn it back into an around the bouys boat.

Stardancer for bouys (would kill in PHRF SoCal events but you'd have to join to board to protect the rating) but only if it's been cared for properly all these years.  The outboard on the back in the wipeout pic above does not inspire confidence.  If you can't be bothered to do the motor dance before the race, it's unlikely you'll wrestle the R2 unit down below after every day sailing.

39 minutes ago, some dude said:

The outboard on the back in the wipeout pic above does not inspire confidence.  If you can't be bothered to do the motor dance before the race, it's unlikely you'll wrestle the R2 unit down below after every day sailing.

Are you suggesting removing the outboard when racing?  If so, that will earn you a DSQ pretty quick in PNW.

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Are you suggesting removing the outboard when racing?  If so, that will earn you a DSQ pretty quick in PNW.

Ah so.  I stand corrected.  How civilized.

9 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Actually the legal and proper thing to do is man up and store it below while racing just aft of the mast.

Stardancer was a weapon in 6 kts of wind and overpowered in 10+ kts of wind. It had a light keel. Good for Seatte/San Diego not so good for Hood River, SF or Key West.....etc

5 minutes ago, spectator said:

Actually the legal and proper thing to do is man up and store it below while racing just aft of the mast.

PHRF-Northwest requires that an outboard be "Installed on permanent mounting, permanently connected to securely fastened fuel tanks [and] ready for instant immersion"

It's because of the need to be able to get out of the way of commercial traffic in the (relatively) close quarters of the Sound.

1 hour ago, sledracr said:

PHRF-Northwest requires that an outboard be "Installed on permanent mounting, permanently connected to securely fastened fuel tanks [and] ready for instant immersion"

It's because of the need to be able to get out of the way of commercial traffic in the (relatively) close quarters of the Sound.

My Bad and makes sense for the sound