Mid

US farms are going bankrupt at an alarming rate.

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

No hair pulling ladies...but please continue.

505FA31A-1223-46CD-9C66-8F698D9C3B0F.gif

Do I have to repeat myself?

No it’s bents serve I think. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Factory farming. Is that what you want? Have you seen how those animals are treated? Screw that.

What do Trump and the Republican party want?

That is what Warpedbird wants.

3 hours ago, austin1972 said:

How is it viable to combine 5 acres? Does your neighbor have one with a reel head you can borrow for 20 minutes?

Aside from the mega farms, there are a lot of 10-50 acre fields that are planted in corn (silage usually), rye, peanuts, soy.... So yes, there are small harvesters that hire out fairly inexpensively, if you aren't harvesting exactly when everyone else is. That's one of the other nice things about sesame, the harvest window is from between 90-150 days depending on conditions, and it usually follows either wheat, or soy, so there's not much else going on when it's ready..... But like I said, I'm planting a long term crop in those plots in about 2 weeks.... A crop that if successful will have a large return in 20 years. If it's not successful, it will be apparent in less than a year, and I can go back to other crops.

1 hour ago, austin1972 said:

Factory farming. Is that what you want? Have you seen how those animals are treated? Screw that.

Factory farming is a fact, not an idea to be avoided, not a nightmare you wake from, a fact. Everything from poultry to wheat and even fish is factory farmed. WRT dairy, the free stall herds are treated pretty well.

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

In addition, those massive dairy farms are pouring tens of thousands of gallons of liquid manure into Wisconsin's  waterways and groundwater.

Wisconsin has pretty tight regs on the manure.

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

Factory farming is a fact, not an idea to be avoided, not a nightmare you wake from, a fact. Everything from poultry to wheat and even fish is factory farmed. WRT dairy, the free stall herds are treated pretty well.

Mmmm hmm.

image.png.20df0a5ccdcb4782445fd775b875299a.png

image.png.3d1047b4d03ddd102a384dab9b5053ab.png

image.png.d5b6ec01f780dcc01b84afcb78fd4b97.png

9 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

26579079420_c93a252024_b.jpg

6500957913_bb30c2b4c7_b.jpg

I won't argue with your method. You serve a boutique clientele.  The masses buy their beef, pork poultry clear wrapped on a styrofoam tray. They go down the bread aisle and choose whole grain or Italian or white from a mega bakery chain. I guess what makes the US.great is the choice of boutique or .mass produced and the opportunity for a decent enough living doing either. Problem with dairy is there are plenty. Of boutique 45-50 head herd. producers already.

37 minutes ago, warbird said:

I guess what makes the US.great is the choice of boutique or .mass produced and the opportunity for a decent enough living doing either.

The real problem is that the American definition of that is for the owner to have workers doing shit for him, like their Hero Trump.

Like in the Good Ol days when the owner earned a decent living watching the backs of slaves in the field.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, warbird said:

Bullshit Or, more correctly, cowshit.  Even the most rudimentary of searches will yield numerous stories like this one

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/manure-spilling-and-seeping-wisconsins-waterways-and-wells

Which are almost certainly broken about as often as the laws against driving above posted speed limits on public roads

[jerseyguy said] Bullshit Or, more correctly, cowshit.  Even the most rudimentary of searches will yield numerous stories like this one

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/manure-spilling-and-seeping-wisconsins-waterways-and-wells

What are you complaining about? It's natural!

-DSK

3 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Which are almost certainly broken about as often as the laws against driving above posted speed limits on public roads

-DSK

Purple font please.

14 minutes ago, random said:

The real problem is that the American definition of that is for the owner to have workers doing shit for him, like their Hero Trump.

Like in the Good Ol days when the owner earned a decent living watching the backs of slaves in the field.

Fuck me - It is pretty obvious that you had a bumper crop this year. That must be some strong shit to induce this level of paranoia.

4 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Fuck me - It is pretty obvious that you had a bumper crop this year. That must be some strong shit to induce this level of paranoia.

Tell me about your experience with 'strong shit' and paranoia.

I won't argue with your method. You serve a boutique clientele.  The masses buy their beef, pork poultry clear wrapped on a styrofoam tray. They go down the bread aisle and choose whole grain or Italian or white from a mega bakery chain. I guess what makes the US.great is the choice of boutique or .mass produced and the opportunity for a decent enough living doing either. Problem with dairy is there are plenty. Of boutique 45-50 head herd. producers already.

I've got 773 ATM. That's 1.12 million pounds of beef, minimum. It's not boutique. It's run correctly for safe, happy and healthy herds. The result is superior beef at the sacrifice of some profit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, random said:

Tell me about your experience with 'strong shit' and paranoia.

Had a Cracker of a dump this morning. Artichoke hearts on my Pizza last night really get things moving. And I am a bit paranoid that i didn't clean the bowl after to my wife's standard. 

12 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

Artichoke hearts on a pizza? Instead of pizza sauce was it hollandaise? That would kick ass.

Pesto instead of pizza sauce along with capsicum, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and red onion. It is a good day for Randumb to inquire about the health of my stool.

I think they call it a stool from the old days of thunderboxes.  When they were full, you could get jacked-up ... like on a stool.

13 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Pesto instead of pizza sauce along with capsicum, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and red onion. It is a good day for Randumb to inquire about the health of my stool.

It's the pine nuts in the pesto. They'll clear you out. Hopefully the cheese slowed you down a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Years ago when the holding tank laws on boats came into effect, we would gripe about, "Why don't they diaper the swans, seagulls and cormorants?"  It's natural waste product that has a place in the biosphere.  How much poop do 300,000 or more members of various species of whales put in the ocean a day?

4 hours ago, random said:

Not all of us still hold slaves. Some of us have liberated them, and allowed them to stay on our plantations as  private farmers, working our fields for a certain amount of money, in exchange for rent, and of course food, and cloth goods which they must buy from us.... It all works out very nicely. They get a place to live, and we enjoy the experience that they have gained at our previous expense.

18 hours ago, austin1972 said:

I've got 773 ATM. That's 1.12 million pounds of beef, minimum. It's not boutique. It's run correctly for safe, happy and healthy herds. The result is superior beef at the sacrifice of some profit.

Beef and dairy are two different animals.  Did I say that?

3 minutes ago, warbird said:

Beef and dairy are two different animals.  Did I say that?

I'm sure Austin will be grateful for your explanation.

22 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Bullshit

It's what he does.

You can safely assume that anything and everything Warpedbird posts is bullshit, fanaticism or lies.

22 hours ago, austin1972 said:

The beef cattle are super happy right up until the time..., well you know.

17 minutes ago, jzk said:

Thanks to Temple, they stay pretty calm. The truck ride weirds them out a little.

10 minutes ago, austin1972 said:
29 minutes ago, jzk said:

Thanks to Temple, they stay pretty calm. The truck ride weirds them out a little.

That's because they're not used to it. If you took 'em for a ride once in a while and gave 'em a treat, they'd LOVE to go for a ride! Just like a dog!

.... mmm, ok, not -just- like a dog, but.......

-DSK

Would they hang their heads out the window if they had the chance?

25 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Would they hang their heads out the window if they had the chance?

image.png.23e9e86a98b3f1b90d35e7602924cf79.png

4 hours ago, Saorsa said:

How many kids want to work the family farm?

A real question, or an asshole-ish-ness snide remark?

3 hours ago, VOA said:

Mustering & loading probably freaks them out more. I’m sure they know what’s going on. 

They're used to being herded through the chute for vet checks and sorting. Going down I-88 at 60 mph? Not so much.

9 hours ago, Saorsa said:

How many kids want to work the family farm?

Given their druthers?....... B-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of them.

13 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Given their druthers?....... B-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of them.

My extended family's kids love the farm. Niece just got the coordinates tattooed on her arm. Working the land goes deep.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:10 PM, Mid said:

US farms are going bankrupt at an alarming rate.

Congre$$ To The Re$cue!

The final House vote—by a count of 369-47—to approve the $867 billion legislation easily overcame opposition to the bill from the House Freedom Caucus, a collection of fiscally conservative lawmakers that's probably the closest thing Congress has to a libertarian voting bloc. In a statement issued earlier Wednesday, the House Freedom Cause decried the farm bill for combining "a sprawling, cronyist agriculture bill with continued funding for welfare that belongs at the state or local level."

Many of the headlines about the farm bill have focused on the inclusion of a provision that will legalize industrial hemp—a form of cannabis that contains very low levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in marijuana. Industrial hemp has a wide range of uses that includes making clothing, as a substitute for plastics, and as a additive to food and drinks.

As Reason's Mike Riggs put it yesterday in this space, "we should commend Congress for taking the bold step of legalizing a plant that cannot get you high but can be turned into really cool necklaces."

On 12/2/2018 at 1:15 AM, Ishmael said:

My extended family's kids love the farm. Niece just got the coordinates tattooed on her arm. Working the land goes deep.

Perhaps. How deep?

But probably the most appalling part of the farm bill is the widening of an agricultural subsidy program that's already been widely criticized for sending benefits to people who, by most measures, would not count as farmers. Congress rejected a proposal to limit those subsidies to individuals who live or work on a farm, and instead expanded eligibility to include farmer's cousins, nieces, and nephews. As Caroline Kitchens of the R Street Institute highlighted this week, the changes would allow "distant relatives and their spouses to each collect up to $125,000 a year in subsidies, so long as they fill out the necessary paperwork."

That'll keep a family on the farm. For legal purposes.