George H.W. Bush dead at the age of 94.

9 minutes ago, bhyde said:

George H.W. Bush dead at the age of 94.

Crap. I had him going for another 300 years in the pool.

46 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

5807C8E9-3A5F-45FE-B6FF-3A8A689887EA.jpeg

What gold.  Rest in peace, my good man. 

RIP Mr. President 

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Bush could not get elected on any Democrat ticket in 2019...RIP a true American patriot....yeah he made some honest mistake...

Dog will never forgive him for his “read my lips no news taxes lie”

LOL

All in all he was a good man and president but he could be one tough SOB.

6 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Bush could not get elected on any Democrat ticket in 2019...RIP a true American patriot....yeah he made some honest mistake...

He definitely couldn’t get elected on any Pub ticket but I’m pretty sure he’d be elected in Maine, New Hampshire, VA and Texas as a Dem.

George Bush was a member of The Greatest Generation and walked the walk.

He worked hard for the whole country. Never met the man, but IMHO he deserves a real salute. Born into wealth and privilege, yet still took duty and honor seriously. Old school.

-DSK

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

He worked hard for the whole country. Never met the man, but IMHO he deserves a real salute. Born into wealth and privilege, yet still took duty and honor seriously. Old school.

-DSK

From a time when having character was more important than being a character. 

• Like 5

George H. W. Bush was a principled man who should have had a second term. Like d'ranger, I didn't always agree with him, and I wish he left Dick Cheney in Wyoming. But he is missed. America was well-served by a good man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

-DSK

Agreed. Godspeed, Mr. Bush. 

One of the last great Presidents.   I miss the era of those elected on character and qualification.  I have doubts we will ever see it again. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, benwynn said:

One of the last great Presidents.   I miss the era of those elected on character and qualification.  I have doubts we will ever see it again. 

Now that America is great again we really don't need great presidents anymore.

How much did Donnie have to do with writing this?

As much as this guy: 

image.jpeg.59dcecf4b6037412beaaf039e91ca475.jpeg

There was an interview on NPR yesterday that incidentally provides some insight as to why George Bush was one of the last great ones.  Responses to it may pollute this thread, so I'll start another one. 

US markets will be closed Wednesday to honor Bush.  Can’t remember this being done defore.  I think it’s a good idea.

5 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I hope we get to read the letter that Trump gets written for him to leave behind.

4 hours ago, Fakenews said:

He definitely couldn’t get elected on any Pub ticket but I’m pretty sure he’d be elected in Maine, New Hampshire, VA and Texas as a Dem.

True but what does that say about where the USA has gone over the past 15 years?

The Navy’s youngest WWII pilot trained at NAS Ft. Lauderdale, at what is now FLL. 

F89D57BA-B3C1-40D0-A0EC-EF70F58DA13D.jpeg

He got to talk to his son in his last hours and tell him that he loved him.

that will live with GWB for the rest of his life.

Damn it my vision is getting blurry.

Nobody has mentioned that it was probably Perot's fault that he didn't win a second term. Clinton won by 6% and Perot took 19% of the vote.

I doubt Clinton would have gotten much of Perot's vote had he not been in it as a spoiler.

GHWB almost certainly could have survived "read my lips" and his unfortunate "presence" otherwise.

How different the world would be had that happened - Clinton would have been POTUS during 911, just for example.

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Petty, vindictive, little shit, he is.

What a piece of shit.

23 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
28 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Petty, vindictive, little shit, he is.

What a piece of shit.

Undoubtedly, we will hear from the Faithful that President Trump said everything he needed to say in the letter released by the White House.

Like he could have actually written that.  Hell, he couldn't read that from a Teleprompter without diverging from the script and talking about himself.

He truly is irredeemable.

7 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

How much did Donnie have to do with writing this?

The cut & post queen probably didn’t read it in the scramble to post it first

Untitled.jpg.727098f4642c41b03b24a5b1c5fb6828.jpg

6 hours ago, VOA said:

The cut & post queen probably didn’t read it in the scramble to post it first

She has the advantage as it's already tomorrow in OZ.

17 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

An honorable man who I frequently disagreed with, but never distrusted. 

The Aussies in the crowd may have a bit of a giggle over that last line...

This thread needs Koch-$pon$ored propaganda

Bush will be remembered as a decent man but the reverberations of his domestic and foreign policy failures leave little for libertarians to cheer.

Or maybe...

You're only the worst until you're not

I knocked on doors for him during the primary campaign against Ronald Reagan and Barbara Bush addressed a small crowd on our patio using my ghetto blaster, which I had set on the roof of the house for that purpose.

I later came to oppose many of his policies but never have regretted working for the man.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nobody has mentioned that it was probably Perot's fault that he didn't win a second term. Clinton won by 6% and Perot took 19% of the vote.

I doubt Clinton would have gotten much of Perot's vote had he not been in it as a spoiler.

GHWB almost certainly could have survived "read my lips" and his unfortunate "presence" otherwise.

The "Know New Taxes" thing was part of lacking "the vision thing." That's what allowed H Ross to emerge in the first place.

OTOH, I could never tell what in the H it was that H Ross stood for either.

13 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

How different the world would be had that happened - Clinton would have been POTUS during 911, just for example.

Reminded of some comedy gold from days of yore:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bush-clinton-perot-debate-cold-opening/n10302

First off, let me say that Bush 41 was a decent man who will be treated well by the historians. Having said that, is it possible that at least some of the fond accolades that have appeared about him is a result of nostalgia for the 'good old days' when Washington was a more decent place and presidents were almost without exception decent (back to that word) men even if one did not agree with the views of the incumbent?

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Nobody has mentioned that it was probably Perot's fault that he didn't win a second term.

So why did he hate Bush so much? 

3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

First off, let me say that Bush 41 was a decent man who will be treated well by the historians. Having said that, is it possible that at least some of the fond accolades that have appeared about him is a result of nostalgia for the 'good old days' when Washington was a more decent place and presidents were almost without exception decent (back to that word) men even if one did not agree with the views of the incumbent?

Yep. And decency alone is not nearly enough. The whole Bush clan appear to be decent folks with Jenna Bush likely the smartest and working the hardest.

I hope we're beyond being impressed with where someone managed to get in and out of school. The country would be a different place If we were a meritocracy rather than a buckrcracy. But riding on decency when dealing with the leadership of the shitholers and shysters of the world, and particularly our congress critters doesn't cut it.

Papa Bush story: I ran into him in an Islamorada tackle store. What really impressed me, beyond the bodyguard presence was the fact that he stood in line and paid with his credit card just like we do. Smiling and friendly with no hint of being a big shot.

You can make a pretty good case that decency is a necessary condition for the job but far from a sufficient condition.

On 12/1/2018 at 10:42 AM, benwynn said:

I share your concern, and hope we're both wrong. 

32 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I share your concern, and hope we're both wrong. 

You’re both right. The folks who own the country like things just the way they are. The last thing they want is a strong President uniting the unwashed masses. 

30 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

What gives? MSNBC is reporting that Donald Trump will not attend GHWB's funeral.

He’s not good with events where he isn’t the center of attention. I’m ambivalent. GHWB was a better husband, public servant, President and American. Let’s stick with honoring him. 

3 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He’s not good with events where he isn’t the center of attention. I’m ambivalent. GHWB was a better husband, public servant, President and American. Let’s stick with honoring him. 

Can't argue with that, it's a blessing in disguise.

15 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

GHWB invited Trump... he considered each commander-in-chief to be "our president." Once again Bush displayed the class act he was which was the hallmark of his extraordinary life.

57 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

What gives? MSNBC is reporting that Donald Trump will not attend GHWB's funeral.

NYT says he'll be there.

Fake News?

23 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I am sure that if Trump were to croak tomorrow he would be the centre of attention for the biggest state funeral ever held - people are saying. I think it is better for the country if Trump is not there. It would be better for Trump if he was there and was seen to be doing his duty.

14 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

GHWB invited Trump... he considered each commander-in-chief to be "our president." Once again Bush displayed the class act he was which was the hallmark of his extraordinary life.

It’s his duty to be there, but that’s been the case before.

4 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

But it is sad that GHWB had to remind him of that.  This week has to be painful for Trump, someone else getting all the headlines.  Anyone watching the Capitol ceremony, who is the really old guy sitting next to Colin.  

7 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I know, even Nixon...  it is the duty for the sitting and all past.. 

image.png.ecf4161fa020a88dc7c238678a2b03db.png

26 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

NYT says he'll be there.

Fake News?

I originally heard the same, but MSNBC was saying he wasn't going to show. I don't know which version is correct.

In any case, very nice service on Capitol Hill.  I thought Pence was outstanding with Ryan not that far behind.  Well done.  

Yeah Pence did well.  I really felt for GWB he was holding back tears. Jeanna and Barbara were yucking it up.  I get they want to celebrate his life but it was a little out of place. I didn’t watch the whole thing but didn’t see Trump.  How did he act?

3 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Yeah Pence did well.  I really felt for GWB he was holding back tears. Jeanna and Barbara were yucking it up.  I get they want to celebrate his life but it was a little out of place. I didn’t watch the whole thing but didn’t see Trump.  How did he act?

Trump's showing up later tonight and I'm sure he and Melania will get coverage on the news outlets.  I can't fault the guy for how he has handled GHWB's passing.  Has he started listening to his advisors?

37 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Only caught snippets.  From what I saw, it was fittingly somber and dignified.

This picture of George H.W. Bush's service dog is breaking hearts

US news  Last night
George H. W. Bush's spokesperson shared an image of the former president's service dog, Sully H.W. Bush, with the words "mission complete." George H. W. Bush died at the age of 94.

More
DtdPut5VYAAbnnU.jpg

4 hours ago, saxdog said:

This picture of George H.W. Bush's service dog is breaking hearts

US news  Last night
George H. W. Bush's spokesperson shared an image of the former president's service dog, Sully H.W. Bush, with the words "mission complete." George H. W. Bush died at the age of 94.

More
DtdPut5VYAAbnnU.jpg

If that pic doesn't tug at your heart, you don't have one.

Some interesting perspectives that do not fit the narration, of course, all a pack of lies! Like his sons, Jeb and George, the father was a goddamn patriot. The photo of his faithful dog refusing to leave his side even after death brings tears to my eyes. 

The Ignored Legacy of George H.W. Bush: War Crimes, Racism, and Obstruction of Justice

The First Iraq War Was Also Sold to the Public Based on a Pack of Lies

25 Years Later: Remembering the Amiriyah Shelter Massacre in Iraq

1 hour ago, Mickey Rat said:

all a pack of lies! 

I was wondering if anyone might post up Mehdi Hasan's sendoff.

2 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Like his sons, Jeb and George, the father was a goddamn patriot.

you do know it is a disservice to use the lord's name in vain while praising an individual correct?

He was no angel, witness the Willie Horton episode, which remains among the more disgusting stunts we had seen at that time. 

That job, and the pursuit of it, is not for the angelic. 

1 minute ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

He was no angel, witness the Willie Horton episode, which remains among the more disgusting stunts we had seen at that time. 

That job, and the pursuit of it, is not for the angelic. 

We shouldn't forget how the AIDS crisis was ignored.

Lots of people died.

Just now, Bus Driver said:

Lots of people died.

Yup. His son made strides on that, but that doesn’t help the lost. 

Well, Bush I did lock up some banksters (1,000 of them!) - which Obama should have done too. but did not. 

But as a vet, the thing that rankles the most is being lied into war in 1990 (see Mickey link above),  

a war that has spread across time and space at almost unfathomable human and economic cost, and 

which continues today. 

And W just can't do anything right. Yesterday he said HW would go down as the "greatest one-term president ever." 

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

And W just can't do anything right. Yesterday he said HW would go down as the "greatest one-term president ever." 

He was the best President named Bush. So there's that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Lots of people died.

Nor should we forget the Iran-Contra cover-ups, or the 3,000 Panamanians who died so he could go after Noriega.

Our need for celebrity is the only reason we make such a big deal out of famous deaths. Will W get the same treatment? Trump? Hard to imagine but yes they will. American stupidity at its worst. We're tough but dumb.

12 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

Our need for celebrity is the only reason we make such a big deal out of famous deaths. Will W get the same treatment? Trump? Hard to imagine but yes they will. American stupidity at its worst. We're tough but dumb.

Yeah, other countries don't do that.

qmf8.jpg

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Feel better now? 

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Will W get the same treatment? Trump? 

Have they set the date for Trumps yet? I might fly over for it. Make sure they put the cunt in the ground.

6 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

And there's this:

"Trump uses eight-vehicle motorcade to travel 250 yards to greet George W. Bush"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-motorcade-greet-bush-20181204-story.html#nt=oft06a-2li2

Imagion had Obama done this. The Republicans would be pissing themselves instead of you. :D

6 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

And there's this:

"Trump uses eight-vehicle motorcade to travel 250 yards to greet George W. Bush"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-motorcade-greet-bush-20181204-story.html#nt=oft06a-2li2

Was that at President Trump's direction, or that of the Secret Service?

Seriously, not everything has to be assigned to him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

qmf8.jpg

That is some silly stuff right there. I was not expansive enough with "our" cuz nothing is much sillier than the royals. Thanks mate.

On the downside, the feds have the day off. Presumably with pay.

Apologies to all for my crabbiness about  Mr. Bush and death generally but I just can't buy a life of government service as a good thing for the people "served."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

Was that at President Trump's direction, or that of the Secret Service?

Seriously, not everything has to be assigned to him.

Story references Obama and "other Presidents" making the same walk.  It also references President Obama walking XI Jingoing back to the Blair House from the White Houseafter  dinner.  

It is about Trump because he makes it that way.  If he was a rooster he would claim that the sun rose in the morning because he crowed.

Well, I imagine the funeral is over by now and AFAIK Trump didn't disgrace or embarrass the nation or himself.

Remarkable - his handlers seem to have a better grip on his leash than in the past.

5 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Story references Obama and "other Presidents" making the same walk.  It also references President Obama walking XI Jingoing back to the Blair House from the White Houseafter  dinner.  

It is about Trump because he makes it that way.  If he was a rooster he would claim that the sun rose in the morning because he crowed.

Sorry.  I disagree.  And, you won't find many instances in which I will take up for President Trump.  But, this is one of them.

While President Obama may have done so is not the point.  The Secret Service makes the call on stuff like this. 

Also from that story -

Obama often employed a full motorcade for short trips, including fundraisers at nearby hotels such as the Jefferson, just a few blocks from the White House. Those trips entailed closing roads in downtown Washington, sometimes during rush hour, thereby snarling evening commutes.

• Like 1

Hey, Clinton shut down LAX for an extended period while he got a fucking haircut on AF!.

Bus is right - while the optics are what they are, the fact is that the USSS is driving most of these decisions, and those decisions are derived from a rigidly adhered to risk analysis process.  

I watched. Ended just now. My take was Rump was uncomfortable, never looked relaxed to me BUT he didnt get up and leave. I'd bet he's up to 270 or so now. Maybe he couldn't get up without help

Untitled.jpg.525a0eb635d40cea3b66a002c44f39e1.jpg

If this is true, and it certainly comports with what we know about President Trump, we are plumbing new depths.

Linky

I especially like this part - he is proud that he acted like you would expect your 4 year-old to act.

But, according to the report, Trump told the officials that he was proud of himself for remaining “civil” during the week of memorial events honoring Bush, who died last Friday at the age of 94.