Sign in to follow this  
Rushman

Trimming extras.... Stand or Sit?

When trimming spinnakers or gennakers do you stand or sit?

Do you change your position, W/L versus offshore distance race?

Is there a wind strength that you change position for safety reasons?

Assy or sym?

Usually stand unless its a long race and I'm feeling lazy - or its fresh to frightening and there's a practical place to wedge myself in the cockpit. 

Somewhere I can see the luff - shy in light wind, pole fwd I'll usually stand at the shrouds. As the breeze builds its unlikely the righting moment will allow the kite to fly so shy, so I'd have a good view from the cockpit, also as moving weight back helps as breeze builds. 

As for safety, the shrouds are a good handhold even in a broach - but I wouldn't want to be there in an accidental gybe - another reason to move toward the back of the bus as the breeze builds and moves aft. 

Obviously W/L racing will have minimal shy kite stuff, so less need to go fwd unless it's light and you want crew weight outa the cockpit.

Higher performance boats with assys may be a different story - but I've only sailed a couple   of a-sail boats, neither would be regarded as high performance these days.

Sit. Hate winches. Sitting on sportsboats allows me to use my legs when needed.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 3:17 PM, Rushman said:

When trimming spinnakers or gennakers do you stand or sit?

Do you change your position, W/L versus offshore distance race?

Is there a wind strength that you change position for safety reasons?

in general, sit when it's heavy, it's a matter of leverage and control. when it's lighter, stand if it's easier to eyeball the sail.

Stand in at the shrouds light shy conditions,  as the wind increases or moves aft position moves aft to finally sitting in the cockpit square (who goes square anymore?) or if it is too strong to safely stand,  as always with all the positions between used at times.