Sign in to follow this  
mothman505

Re-imagining a trashed laser

I salvaged a laser hull and repaired it enough to use a classic moth rig and get it sailing.  But now it's time to rip off what's left of the deck and start over.  At least I can repair the hull from the inside.  I was considering doing the deck 505 style.  For a mast, I was thinking of a deck stepped aluminum section i have for the bottom with a wood top, or all wood, stayed.  I have other boats to sail so this is one looking for ideas.

You should reinforce the trunk and transom and get that foiling kit.  

The cockpit could be a self draining set up like those russian "lasers".

1 hour ago, mothman505 said:

What's a Russian Laser ?  

You can see it on the first post in this thread and some links to the racing. They have class legal Lasers combined with these cockpit modified Lasers. 

Man, 

I would order up one of those Russian lasers in a heart beat! They look like a much nicer cockpit! The Santana 20 class did a new open stern cockpit and that class is still going well, although it is a regional class. I know the heavy campaigners would be quick adopters, and the could all sail together just like mk1 and mk2 sails do. I like it. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:46 PM, WCB said:

The cockpit could be a self draining set up like those russian "lasers".

Russian lasers....whats this?

On 12/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, onepointfivethumbs said:

What's your goal for the boat? There were some guys who put an I14 rig on their Laser

I'm not affiliated with these guys but definitely used their boat for inspiration.  I stuck an I14 rig on an old Laser but added a furling deck-sweeping jib instead of an A-kite.  It was a really fun project: adding the stays, trap system, Hobie 16 rudder blade, furling jib, running rigging, etc.  Unfortunately I only got to test the boat a couple times before selling it.  I remember it was a real pain to right!

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg