Sign in to follow this  
JemD

1982 J/36 for $20K... issues?

Appears there has been some sort of repair on the bow. The brown non-skid is close to gone. Aside from the primaries the winches look to be Barients- no parts available beyond pawls and springs unless you get them custom made. Better than even chance there are wet areas in the deck, was common in this era of J-boat. Standing rigging may be original. Black stains on the main bulkhead by the port chainplates would require a close look, Other than that.....

Check carefully for delamination.  Before we got Eclispe we noted some problems: leaks in the handrails and other fittings led to rot and delamination on both the port and starboard sides of the cabin top.  Price went down accordingly.  It took us about 3 weekends, (scheduling around field hockey games),  to open it up (from the inside), remove wet material, recore, and re-glass it ourselves, for about $100 in materials.  We then had a pro shoot new gelcoat to match the overhead. Under the starboard quarter berth a cable tie for the engine controls and wires was screwed into the hull. Any water condensing on the wires or leaking in from the instrument panel  was led right down to the screw and in it went.  After 20 years, that led to some delamination there too,  which we again repaired from inside.  The boat you're looking at may be in better shape - freeze cycles in the PNW tend to be less severe than in New England, and it's a year younger than our boat.  We hear it rains more up there though, so...check it out. 

We have been pretty diligent about updating engine hoses, belts & things. (Our Yanmar 3GM is raw-water cooled).  We also had an issue with the packing of the rudderpost stuffing box.  The original oakum dried out and we began taking water in by the rudderpost whenever the stern dipped into a wave.  Not fun to find out when you're jib reaching in a 130 mile overnight race at 9 knots.  Look for damage in the floors - cracks or loose tabbing -  by the aft end of the keel - this is a sign of them having run into things.  

One caveat- moisture meters.  We had a surveyor tell us to walk away from the boat because the hull below the waterline appeared saturated, all over. He found no delamination.  We couldn't believe that a boat as wet as he said it was wouldn't have blown apart in the frigid winter and many warm/freeze cycles we had had, so we called in another surveyor. He put his meter against the hull & bilge from the inside, where there wasn't any antifouling paint: dry.  The ablative paint was giving the meters screwy results.  

We bought the boat & have had a great time with it. It's big enough to take friends & family, small enough to sail as a couple, easy to handle, quick and responsive. We've had to beat 30 miles into 6' waves racing in 30 knots of breeze, and have cruised downwind from Harpswell ME to Fairfield CT in less than 48 hours, mostly under just a single reefed main. They're nice boats.  PM me if you have more specific questions.

Looks like the old Charlemagne from Bellingham.  It did go to maui in the early 2000s.  So there is that!  Its had a hard life since then it appears.

4 hours ago, chriscarrera said:

Looks like the old Charlemagne from Bellingham.  It did go to maui in the early 2000s.  So there is that!  Its had a hard life since then it appears.

Yes that's rights, it's Charlemagne. Yesterday, I drove down from Vancouver to Olympia to see her. She's been sitting there for 4 years. The inside wasn't soo bad. There's some broken/rotten plywood, but mostly seemed ok. I have no idea about the hull, but there was quite a lot of water inside the cabin coming down the walls. Maybe I'll check it out again in another 4 years.

Too bad. Better luck when the next opportunity comes up!

Sounds like picking up a bucket might be the better choice before the moisture meter.

• Like 1

GOOD BOAT WHEN NEW.LOTS OF DELAMINATION MY DAD HAD ONE IN THE EARLY 80'S.