Sign in to follow this  
Jammer Six

Gaff Rigs

"What’s with the concave chine at the transom? When does it start? Bulb looks pretty large for a deep draft. About 28’? Nice!"

No concave.  Curve shown is a result of a curved transom intersecting flat hull plate.

No start date.  Just now finishing a shop big enough to build.

Boat is not an ultralight.   Displacement will be around 5,500 lbs,  Ballast - 2000 lbs,  LOD - 33',  LWL - 30'  Beam ,- 7 Draft - 8

Thanks!

Steve

8l5mucm.jpg

PI1GBFI.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bob Perry said:

That's a mighty fine looking little hooker you have there.

Hey!  Who are you calling a hooker?

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, Illegal Smile said:

Yep! I did both. I'm still figuring out the trim...the shrouds are swept aft enough that it really limits how far out you can ease the main. She'll go like a house afire on a reach, and does surprisingly well to weather, but going DDW is not great. I wind up gybing downwind to keep up boat speed. I'd be interested to see what a small symmetrical spinnaker would do.

I'd try hanging a little one from your mizzen.

From the 80ies German adaptation of 'Thr Riddle of the Sands'. The boat which starred as Dulcibella here is Timpe Te . 

She was more recently in the process of being restored as a youth project.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2018 at 5:36 AM, dogballs Tom said:
On 12/6/2018 at 1:59 PM, Illegal Smile said:

Yep! I did both. I'm still figuring out the trim...the shrouds are swept aft enough that it really limits how far out you can ease the main. She'll go like a house afire on a reach, and does surprisingly well to weather, but going DDW is not great. I wind up gybing downwind to keep up boat speed. I'd be interested to see what a small symmetrical spinnaker would do.

I'd try hanging a little one from your mizzen.

Mizzen staysails can be a hoot

Back in my mis-spent youth, one summer on Lake Michigan: a 40-ish ft steel ketch of uncertain vintage (certainly pre-1970, probably pre-1960) that had had all it's insides ripped out and replaced with stowage bins for line, blocks, and sails. Had a pretty good stash to anchors too but we sorted thru those and got rid of some of the least useful / most redundant. Many an hour spent sailing along working at rigging up the staysails from the bins, and marking them when we found one that worked well.

It was also fortunate that there was a welding shop handy, which would put a new pad eye anywhere on the deck we wanted..... the boats already fairly well studded with them. Nobody in the club knew about barber-haulers, so we spent time rigging up some of those too. Sometimes it even made a difference in how the boat sailed. But the best of the many mizzen staysails definitely helped.

FB- Doug

• Like 1