Retired BN

Thoughts on Novasail VS Prostart

On 12/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, Rodfavela said:

We carry and have both, ProStart and NS Start in stock. The both work well, the ProStart is more expensive and uses more power.

What boat is this for?

Shark, Slow but still get 30-40 boat one design regattas every couple weeks. Need the distance to line function as all the other boats have it. I like that the Novasail shows lift and knock graphically. 

@Retired BN, the ProStart also shows lift and knock graphically. The ProStart has a bar graph around the perimeter of the display and each segment of the graph represents 2.5°. Here is a detailed description of how the ProStart's bar graph works:

Locking On to a Reference Heading

- The device constantly tracks a 20 second moving average of your Course Over Ground and compares this to your current course.

- When your current heading is within 10 degrees of the 20 second average for 10 consecutive seconds, the device locks on to your current course and uses this as the reference course.

Showing Deviations from the Reference Heading

- The bar graph shows deviations between your current course and the reference course in 2.5 degree increments.

Tacking and Jibing

- When your current course becomes more than 45 degrees above or below the reference heading, the reference course is reset and the device attempts to lock on to a new reference course.

You may also want to take a look at the Atlas. It outperforms the alternatives on pretty much every measure, from starting and shift tracking to screen clarity and battery life. A few key differences:

Performance: The Atlas is the highest performance racing instrument on the market, thanks to the combination of an 18 Hz GPS, advanced gyrocompass and inertial sensors. This translates into greater accuracy at the start, with more accurate pings and zero lag in distance to line. The Atlas can even make a prediction of your time to line, helping you decide when to pull the trigger for the best possible start.

Display: The display on the Atlas is fully graphic, meaning it isn’t limited to showing just numbers, and can easily be updated with new features over time. It’s also incredibly vivid in the sun (and has a red backlight for use at night), and is perfectly clear, even when wearing polarized sunglasses. 

Shift Tracking: Doing this well really requires a magnetic compass, as GPS COG is both slow to update, and can be impacted by current. On the Atlas, shifts can be shown graphically, as a number, or both. You can even look at a full screen stripchart between races to get a longer term picture of what’s happening with the wind--how big are the oscillations? How often?

Future capability: The Atlas is designed to get better over time, with regular, free software updates to add new features and capabilities. A few things we’re working on: waypoint navigation, live data display on smart watches and tablet charting integration. An online analytics platform for reviewing your data is coming soon as well. It’s also ready to work with a range of wireless sensors we’ll be bringing out over the next year, from wind to speed through water and beyond. 

You can learn more about the Atlas at vakaros.com/atlas. It’s currently available for pre-order at 20% off, and the pre-order period will be closing soon. The feedback we’ve gotten so far has been phenomenal--check out what a few pros have to say about it:

I've been using a Novasail NS 360 for about four years now on my Viper 640.  Absolutely zero complaints with the unit itself.  Boats speed is GPS based but the compass is magnetic so it works for static wind checks.  Visibility is great and the user interface is very intuitive.  Pinging the marks for distance to start is straightforward and the battery life is more than adequate, plus you only change out a AA. The only complaint I have is the mast bracket was crap.  I think the newer units have a better mast bracket.  Overall, after four years I'm very happy with it.  It will not be going with the boat when that goes on the market!

15 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

I've been using a Novasail NS 360 for about four years now on my Viper 640.  Absolutely zero complaints with the unit itself.  Boats speed is GPS based but the compass is magnetic so it works for static wind checks.  Visibility is great and the user interface is very intuitive.  Pinging the marks for distance to start is straightforward and the battery life is more than adequate, plus you only change out a AA. The only complaint I have is the mast bracket was crap.  I think the newer units have a better mast bracket.  Overall, after four years I'm very happy with it.  It will not be going with the boat when that goes on the market!

Thanks,

I'm thinking it's the best bang for the buck at this point. I can see the value in the newer units if I was sailing a much faster boat but rather put the saved dollars into sails.

I first met the Velocitek guys in Maui in May 2008 and picked an SC-1 from them.  Upgraded to a ProStart after it launched, which is a great device that has served us well for years.

When they first launched the American's Cup AC-45 catamarans the only devices they had were a ProStart.  I think that's all the recommendation you need.

big-ac-cover-photo.jpg

I have used the NS 360.Pro for two seasons now. The reason I chose it over the Velocitek is because it combines the functionalities of the ProStart and Shift in one device for the price of one of them. 

I have the nova sail 360 pro . I believe it is the newer version with the corrosion issues solved . One year in it works great , crew can easily set it and I can from the helm . The GPS speed is great to compare to the through the water speed for current . Did not use the distance to start much as we were getting to the start line a little late to set it up but it does work well. I really like that after the countdown timer stops it switches automatically to a selected race mode. It is at the mast and easy to read from everywhere , light comes on automatic and it is easy on batteries. Nice to have a bunch of instruments all combined in one . 

Based on my reading on all three sites, these tools are managing time/ distance to start and shifts all based on self contained compass and gps.  No external wind instruments etc.

Is that valid?

Also, what other key tools are being used, to get vmg for course and long distance races?  Thanks

2 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Based on my reading on all three sites, these tools are managing time/ distance to start and shifts all based on self contained compass and gps.  No external wind instruments etc.

Is that valid?

Also, what other key tools are being used, to get vmg for course and long distance races?  Thanks

Yes, you're pretty much on with your ProStart summary. It is a starting aid for managing time and distance at the start. In race mode it displays Course Over Ground and Speed Over Ground. The ProStart is also a GPS data logger with a few file formats available the data is compatible with a few GPS replay applications like ChartedSails, SailNjord, and GPS Action Replay.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:07 PM, velocitek said:

Yes, you're pretty much on with your ProStart summary. It is a starting aid for managing time and distance at the start. In race mode it displays Course Over Ground and Speed Over Ground. The ProStart is also a GPS data logger with a few file formats available the data is compatible with a few GPS replay applications like ChartedSails, SailNjord, and GPS Action Replay.

Thanks.  I was really looking for what other instruments to link. For example, do you need to get apparent or true wind in order to define veg accurately? Or is your 2hertz gps refresh vs a waypoint enough?

that kind of thing.  As I am working with a rotating mast boat, I am trying to evaluate if I bother with trying to gather true wind  or awa (painful with rotating mast) and feed that to ray marine pilot! Or if I just set a waypoint to aim for and go from there....

Also, I see reference to the refresh rate.  vakaros showing 18hz, prostart 2hz screen refresh, the new announcement on the front page citing sail on at 39hz gps refresh rate, and I haven’t seen one for the no 360.

i assume this has an impact on the accuracy of the distance to line, and sensitivity of speed, and other core metrics.

what is the difference in practical application on accuracy?