Sign in to follow this  
Wess

Really cool trimaran for sale - no ad; not mine!

Ran across this on another forum and recall there are a few folks on here looking.

I have known this boat boat forever and my wife and I often watched her sail out of Barnegat Bay decades ago. 

Worth a look if you are in the market for fast and fun and well built.  Not mine and no vested interest.  Just happen to think she is one cool boat!

• Like 2

Didn't I point you in that boats direction in the last year or so Wess?

I would love to see this boat and have talked to the owner/builder. Guy really know his stuff and wish I had the change to buy the boat. He turned me on to the sparbuilder that we are getting a new CF tri-axial woven wing mast from. 

Thanks for the link.

12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Didn't I point you in that boats direction in the last year or so Wess?

I would love to see this boat and have talked to the owner/builder. Guy really know his stuff and wish I had the change to buy the boat. He turned me on to the sparbuilder that we are getting a new CF tri-axial woven wing mast from. 

Thanks for the link.

You may have Rasp. A few folks did.  And to be fair we knew about her long long long before. We watched her be built.  We watched her maiden sail (I think).  She has a place in our hearts. 

For a long time the wife and I were determined to go back to a cat for cruising.  But it proved impossible to find one that could do what we wanted so finally gave that quest up this Fall and started searching for a tri we could cruise on.  For various reasons, this still would not have been right for us.  Can't fold or trailer for one (though admittedly what we bought is only marginally trailerable needing wide load permits).  The second is its always hard to buy the bride off Dad.  He is emotionally invested (rightfully so; she is a beauty) and I suspect its gonna be an expensive dowry.  And there are better racers for the price and better cruisers for the price.  Need a unique owner for this.  But it is a really really cool boat that at least when I last saw her was very well loved and cared for.

3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

So Keith is your Dad? That explains a lot! What did you recently buy?

Jody

Whoa Nelly!  LOL, no; the owner is not my Dad.  We picked up a project.  Big project.  A boat Ian loved to hate...  I am guessing that sort of gives it away, yes?

4 minutes ago, Wess said:

We bought a C-ough Cough-orsair 36 trimaran.

Wess

There was a little earthquake in Christchurch NZ just now!

He would have had a bit of satisfaction that you went into it with your eyes wide open though.

How about some pictures?

Paul

• Like 1

Wess,

I'll clear out my box, sorry. Congrats on the C-36. I did a survey on one of the first that had dismasted on a Texas-Mexico race. Owned by a guy in Oklahoma I think who thought he was going to trailer it between all three coasts and win lots of races and fill his mantle with trophies. Didn't work out so well for him. I'll give you the details on PM. 

15 minutes ago, teamvmg said:

There was a little earthquake in Christchurch NZ just now!

He would have had a bit of satisfaction that you went into it with your eyes wide open though.

How about some pictures?

Paul

LOL.  No pics yet.  All I have is before. Need the after!  If its really something of interest drop me a PM and we can connect on Facebook where all the work is on-line for friends to follow.

And folks I am not going to comment further on the C36 here.  Happy to chat off line but its not fair for me to be sharing other folks story on line.  But there is already stuff posted here that I know for a fact ain't true (that you may be unaware of).  Its why I avoid talking about the boat on line except with friends.  Let me just say we went in eyes open and we will let our (and the boat's) walking do our talking!!

Lets go back to the cool offshore tri shown above - Burrage 40!  Go Jersey Boyz!!!

If I recall correctly, Ian thought there was a huge problem with the bulkheads on the C36 to the point that they were unsafe.  Are you modifying yours at all?

The price on the Burrage 40 seems way too high.  Who's buying it over something like this: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013/dragonfly-35-3231388/?refSource=standard listing

To each his own but I for one would much rather sail the Burrage.  I really prefer the stripped down, high power boat without all the stainless, steering wheel and assorted mumbo jumbo. Though the Dragonfly does appear quite comfy.  The Burrage is really beautiful too.

Glorious!  Really pricey for a 27 year old boat though right? A nice looking Newick Traveler 52 just went for $275k or so I think. 

I’d be looking at a second mortgage if it was on the west coast at $175 or so. 

Thanks for posting Wess I think she is one cool boat too - but I may be a little biased. Yes she is 27 years old but on both the outings in the video she still wows me and after her latest upgrade she looks and is in the best shape ever.

I have delivered 30’, 32’ and 35’ Dragonfly’s offshore to and from Annapolis boat shows, in the full range from calms to a full gale and I can assure you that performance wise Skateaway would absolutely destroy them, in all those conditions.

Sadly there has still never been an honest to goodness light, strong, fast, safe and weatherly production 40’ trimaran and these boats are fabulous. Huge fleet of hi-tech Class 40 monohulls in the recent Route du Rhum and no interest in a modern 40 tri which would be so much faster, what a shame. This boat is going to out live me and properly maintained the next owner too.

Beats me why the market moves increasingly in the direction of berthing manoeverabily with bow thrusters, RV type interiors and heavy compromising folding systems, more weight, more expense and increasingly miserable sailing performance when these type of boats can be so much better. Just maintaining all that complicated crap is a turn off. 

Sailing this boat to Bermuda in 67 hours without using any fossil fuel beats the stuff out of dragging some compromise down the highway to an appointment with the maintenance guy in an expensive marina, what’s this fixation with the road trip - I wanna go sailing!

5 hours ago, boardhead said:

Thanks for posting Wess I think she is one cool boat too - but I may be a little biased. Yes she is 27 years old but on both the outings in the video she still wows me and after her latest upgrade she looks and is in the best shape ever.

I have delivered 30’, 32’ and 35’ Dragonfly’s offshore to and from Annapolis boat shows, in the full range from calms to a full gale and I can assure you that performance wise Skateaway would absolutely destroy them, in all those conditions.

Sadly there has still never been an honest to goodness light, strong, fast, safe and weatherly production 40’ trimaran and these boats are fabulous. Huge fleet of hi-tech Class 40 monohulls in the recent Route du Rhum and no interest in a modern 40 tri which would be so much faster, what a shame. This boat is going to out live me and properly maintained the next owner too.

Beats me why the market moves increasingly in the direction of berthing manoeverabily with bow thrusters, RV type interiors and heavy compromising folding systems, more weight, more expense and increasingly miserable sailing performance when these type of boats can be so much better. Just maintaining all that complicated crap is a turn off. 

Sailing this boat to Bermuda in 67 hours without using any fossil fuel beats the stuff out of dragging some compromise down the highway to an appointment with the maintenance guy in an expensive marina, what’s this fixation with the road trip - I wanna go sailing!

Boardhead -

Thanks for building her.  And sailing her.  And inspiring us.  You have no way to know this but it is because of you and that boat that my wife and I sail tris.  I wish you the very very best for her and pray a new owner is found and treats her as well.  

I first sailed with my grandfather on barnegat bay.  My parents had no interest - they were more into mountaineering - but the bug bit me and I picked up sailing again later with a girlfriend that became my wife of now 30 plus years.  Its so long ago but I think I recall seeing the build and wondering what it was and then seeing her sail.  I vaguely recall (and could easily be wrong) her being bearthed at a house on the bay side of the barrier island (ie east side of the bay) and maybe (?) being beached after one of the hurricanes.  We were so happy to see her later out sailing and looking as good as ever. Think we rowed around her a few dozen times at Tices just admiring her.  She (and you) were/are so ahead of your time.  We loved seeing her at anchor and loved seeing her sail.  Because of her we lusted after trimarans and eventually bought one (an F27F) which we sailed and raced for almost 2 decades.

For my wife and I, the racing thing has gotten old (she was never into it) and we will be mostly cruising the new (to us) tri.  We love simple systems and don't want to sleep 10 people so I can't answer your questions there.  As to folding; I can.  We bought folding obviously and the reason was simple... it increased our range significantly.  We will keep her on the east coast mid Atlantic and can sail from Maine to the Islands but we also want to do Sea of Cortez/Baha and an inside passage to Alaska.  We could not do that - given kids and sick parents we care for - unless the boat could be folded and trailered.  So while we were willing to give up bridge-deck living of the offshore cats we had owned and some greater load carrying ability, we wanted to have the trailerability when picking a tri.

Obviously you need a new owner that loves offshore racing as much as family cruising. I am sure that person is out there its just not me (us) any more.  I hope you find him/her or they find you and Skateaway lives on in all her splendor and glory!

Oh and God YES!!!  I would love to see a fleet of these things racing in the RdR.

Best wishes my friend,

Wess

Here on the west coast the main problem with a larger, non-folder is the difficulty and expense of finding a place to keep her.  

Same problem on the East Coast. Basically narrows your ownership potential to folks that own waterfront homes/properties with wide enough slips/t-docks to handle a tri. The other shame is there aren't too many offshore races that would allow a 40' tri to compete; the RdR multi perhaps, Ft. Lauderdal-Key West and RORC 600 come to mind but that's about it for the East Coast (sort of). Still, really nice boat and I hope it finds a good owner!

mundt

We bought a wreck of a water front house in New Jersey with 128’ of delapidated bulkhead then busted out a pieceof the bulkhead and built a 40’ x40’ x5’ rise ramp to launch/retrieve and dock Skateaway right after we finished building the amas 80 miles away in Pennsylvania. The 535 pound weight, 17,600 pounds of flotation amas were trailed there on a lightweight, extended trailer behind our humble Dodge Omni. Four years later after doing the same trailer trip with the 440 pound beams, 1,300 pound main hull (behind an F150) and 17’ 6” long daggerboard, all assembled on that lot we dragged her manually on rugs to the ramp, raised the 360 pound Gougeon C section mast with an A frame and slid her down the ramp and out into the water on huge, rubber coated, hull form rollers we made. It was easy! 

She floated high with an absurd amount of bottom paint showing because she weighed as calculated and was not carrying her designed 2,000 pound payload that we knew from previous experience on our home built 32’ Kelsall was required for a couple to blue water cruise,

Skateaway has been berthed at that house all her 27 year life without a scratch including Sandy and The Perfect Storm. The money not spent on Marinas and Hull Insurance (yes we carry personal and liability) well exceeds her material cost.

This coastline and cruising area works perfectly for these fabulous boats. We have the New England in Summer, Bermuda and the Bahamas in the Winter and safe, secure Barnegat Bay year round.

You might consider relocating and a different approach.

Wess

You are very kind, can’t believe we never met, we should, maybe I can help with your new project. Your plans are adventurous and I respect your rationale. 

1 hour ago, samc99us said:

Same problem on the East Coast. Basically narrows your ownership potential to folks that own waterfront homes/properties with wide enough slips/t-docks to handle a tri. The other shame is there aren't too many offshore races that would allow a 40' tri to compete; the RdR multi perhaps, Ft. Lauderdal-Key West and RORC 600 come to mind but that's about it for the East Coast (sort of). Still, really nice boat and I hope it finds a good owner!

Sam - A2B.  Great winter racing scene in the islands.  N2B and other will open wider with time and experience. This boat is right up your alley.  Or @Mizzmo.  Or @kbcH20

I had the pleasure of sailing on Skateaway (thanks Keith) and racing against her on another OSTAR try in the Highlands fling - seriously, why is that race not an east coast major after the Gotham cup!

Skateaway is FAST, well thought, and bulletproof, and it is a shame that the thoughts listed above are preventing her from moving to the next caretaker.  (I unfortunately have spent my money on an extremely slow moving wooden vessel named my house.  But am hopefully getting a f242 to park behind her.

Maybe take her down to the Carribean 600 renamed as 4 Sale and kick everyones butt?

Totally wicked boat. I love the way the wake exits her stern, its just so smooth. I also love the interior design philosophy ,for a non-liveaboard cruiser it makes so much sense. Unfortunately the price, and the logistics make it totally a non starter on my Govt Salary. I think the potential buyers market for this boat is unfortunately very small.

Since I live 20 minutes away, I’m going to go down and take a Gawk again at Skateaway and the Lady Hawk. I was working on a boat one day and drove around the corner and “WHAM!” There they both were- Skateway in front of Lady Hawk. 

I had first seen Skateaway at Ocean Gate Yacht basin after it was painted. The job was flawless.

It was then that I regretted having so many monohulls tying up my money. 

Keith, you built some great boats,my man!

On 12/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, socalrider said:

Glorious!  Really pricey for a 27 year old boat though right? A nice looking Newick Traveler 52 just went for $275k or so I think. 

I’d be looking at a second mortgage if it was on the west coast at $175 or so. 

If I remember correctly, not certain of the exact age and dollar amounts, Virgin Fire was around the same age and was initially listed for about the same price. Years later I saw a listing for her and she was sold for around $85,000.

That’s probably about right and I think Joe holds the record for the longest listing, around 24 years!

In the end he pretty much gave it away, a 50’+ wooden trimaran built to the requirements of a very remarkable sailor and his girlfriend - one double berth in a huge vessel - it worked for Joe - I guess another younger Joe didn’t show up to pick up the ball.

The man built Transient (a 35’ Newick tri that is better than any 35’ Newick tri) in Maine, sailed her down to StJohn, USVI, at some point decided to sail direct to Plymouth, UK and take part in the TWOSTAR and win his class with Jody, then sail back down to StJohn. His next boat, an ill conceived “NewMoon” ama  forty footer was lost right after he sold it in horrible Hugo.

So what does this have to do with Skateaway?

Over complicated flat out racer with seriously questionable offshore stability issues that was not a winner when she was new.

Interior accommodations to include your wife and kids in the fun - no.

Currently races mostly against performance cruiser/racer cats that can include your family - like Skateaway and the original F40 concept I designed to, cost similar to my boat but sail slower.

Multi 50’s again flat out race boats with huge maintenance and campaign funding budgets. Different sort of boats with only three hull similarities.

• Like 1

Didn’t mean any offense - your boat is clearly really special and unique. Pricing something like that is really tricky since the market is so small - east coast + trimaran + $300k budget. It’s a pain even selling a commodity boat like a Catalina 36. Having your own mooring and patience certainly helps your cause a ton - I’m always amazed here in SD seeing C36’s and their ilk for sale, overpriced at $45k, rotting away unused in their $650/month slips for years.  

GLWTS - she deserves a special home!  I’ll keep my eyes out for buyers. Incidentally, how hard (expensive) would it be to get a boat like that to the west coast?

The market will always take care of prices,

if there's buyers that are interested, a price will be negotiated and agreed on,

if there's no interested buyers, then boats will sit on the market for a very, very, long time.

Its always been that way and wont change.

Two years ago I gave Rick W a tour and I think the (still in reassembly after refinishing) boat intimidated him a little.

He checked out a Chris White kinda copy built beautifully and similarly by LoneStar in Brownsville TX for Steve Gross and bought her for more than I was (am) asking for Skateaway. His rationale - the boat was ready to go and was by a “name” designer, who made several engineering mistakes I helped Steve resolve, quite a story there.

The boat was sailed by a delivery crew with the ex- owner to Ft Lauderdale (I saw her there where I was helping the owner of a TRT 1200 cat recently shipped from Seattle WA area sail over to the Bahamas) then shipped as deck cargo via the Panama Canal to the West Coast where Rick collected her. I will check with Rick and Charlie (the TRT owner) for their costs but it recall it was not that big a deal. Rick ended up with a sorted offshore capable boat after an awful experience(s) with an imported Carbon 37 tri that failed her inadequate mast in the Bay Area then was lost after a collision returning from Hawaii.

I do want to say here that while I will defend the many decisions made in making my ideal boat (when I was 40) that I don’t want this forum to become a sales pitch. WESS posted my video, I have never met or spoken to WESS but I know my stuff and do have opinions about the sad state of affordable offshore trimarans, a platform that has brought me so much enjoyment while remaining elusive to the boat buying public. I am not a professional boat designer or builder, a DIY who sailed a lot and know my way around the structural demands and engineering options.

19 hours ago, boardhead said:

I am not a professional boat designer or builder, a DIY who sailed a lot and know my way around the structural demands and engineering options.

I can think of a number of "name" designer and builder boats that have done far less and have no where near the longevity of Skateaway!

On 12/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, EarthBM said:

In all fairness, the price is not close to where it can sell. Other similarly fast F40 type tris are around 35-40% of the asking price. (Eg https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/custom-40-trimaran-3241807/)

And Milti50s around 50%.

most people do there sailing on a lazyboy at home, all boats have compromises, beams, rocker, layups etc, looking at Skateaway she is a pleasant compromise.  Most boats need some level of tic, last I saw skateaway the owner made her perfect to sailaway, I wouldn't of paid $30k to paint my boat to sell, but for those that can afford to go first class she is a prize.  

socalrider  -   the TRT 1200 cost $16G to ship from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver - 15 years ago and $25G to ship from Victoria BC to Ft Lauderdale - 2 years ago, Charlie likes his boat a lot - and his new home on the Tred Avon River. The Jones act makes it less expensive to ship US to non US or non US to US ports. This is obviously a longer and more expensive delivery than Ft Lauderdale to a Mexican port which you would use for your San Diego delivery. You could pay more or less, need to shop the job.