Sign in to follow this  
tony.collins

J70 Rudder Slop

Hi

Looking for some advice, I have had my J70 for a few years now, The steering was extremely smooth when I got it and recently has become more rough. It's fine in flat water but in the waves you can feel it clunk back and forth which is not confidence inspiring at speed. The pins were replaced a little over a year ago - http://store.sail22.com/j-70/rigging/j-70-rudder-pins-bronze-sail22/

I understand the bronze pins will wear faster than stainless ones. Is my best option to continue replacing them every year? Are there any more permanent solutions to this?

FWIW I am in So Cal and willing to bring the boat or just the rudder/pintle/gudgeon to a local shop. 

Thanks,

Tony

Not a permanent fix but works great. 

Take a piece of thin spectra line. ( just scrap line.)

fray the end and pull a single strand from the line. Ideally long enough to span both gudgeons. 

Put the strand through the gudgeons w the rudder in place then tap your pins through. 

You may need to add strands if there's still play. 

Really works well. 

4 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

Not a permanent fix but works great. 

Take a piece of thin spectra line. ( just scrap line.)

fray the end and pull a single strand from the line. Ideally long enough to span both gudgeons. 

Put the strand through the gudgeons w the rudder in place then tap your pins through. 

You may need to add strands if there's still play. 

Really works well. 

Thanks I will try this! It sounds like a great short term solution until I can get something more permanent in place. 

7 minutes ago, Blitz said:

Sounds like you need a new carbon rudder. :ph34r:

Carbon Rudder guy is still racing in our fleet, we almost got him at Long Beach Race Week this year!