dylan winter

Summer of Judgement - The Watergate Hearings - Magnificently resonant documentary

I thought I should bring myself up to speed on watergatre

damn this is astonishing

the intro is really dated but stick with it as it is a slow burner.

I spent an entire summer watching the Watergate hearings both Senate and House. Had a job waiting at the beginning of Sept so not much else to do. It was quite riveting and the politicians on both committees from both parties were entirely admirable. You really could not tell who was an R and who a D from the questions and statements they made.

That was then and this is now.

The mighty fell some time back.

Nixon probably wouldn't even get investigated by this bunch. No way would it have taken three tries to get Cox fired.

5 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I spent an entire summer watching the Watergate hearings both Senate and House. Had a job waiting at the beginning of Sept so not much else to do. It was quite riveting and the politicians on both committees from both parties were entirely admirable. You really could not tell who was an R and who a D from the questions and statements they made.

bloody nora man - all of them ..... time to buy a boat

loved the hair cuts and pipe smoking

I also thought that there was a bit of repub outrage there... they seemed to think for some reason that breaking the law and being a criminal in the white house was in some small measure not OK.

D

Te PBS  account in the OP has two parts, presenting two hours of Watergate overview, which for me was time very well spent. Thanks D..

The abuse then is a stunning parallel to today's situation. But during the interim years, the quality of our Congress seems to have deteriorated, bigly. The eloquence, overview, and firmness of many bit players is surprising.

10 hours ago, dylan winter said:

I also thought that there was a bit of repub outrage there... they seemed to think for some reason that breaking the law and being a criminal in the white house was in some small measure not OK.

That was then, this is now.