Meat Wad

Brexit, WTF

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

Interesting read, No deal looks better.

Cherry picking what has been already cherry picked. WTF.

Boris's level of contempt for the man in the street must be so high to think they don't understand this dangerous and meaningless farce of his.

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

This gets to the heart of the reason the EU won't agree to any special Brexit deal for the UK.  Giving the UK a special deal would embolden EU skeptics in other countries.

An example of cherry picking the cherry picked (agri-food) is the UK don't want Nth Ireland to be constrained by EU labelling laws on ingredients/contents.

This happens now with no border where Tayto' chips from RoI are not available in NI ....it is going to be really brilliant post Brexit with no Irish solution...chip smuggling.

A case of 'Occupied Tayto' taking legal action against a sole trader for selling 'Free-Stayto' (which tastes nicer) in the north.

Trader in court for selling 'southern Tayto' to shops and pubs in Northern Ireland

I think this yellow bagged cheese and onion is "British Occupied Tayto'". 

201416146-34558722-e185-4718-a1f6-c3c15e03f91f.jpg

Part 2 now up...hindsight is a wonderful thing but the recuring instances of where London threw away opportunity after opportunity to end the killing is very depressing.

12 hours ago, LeoV said:

Interesting read, No deal looks better.

Also "prospects" of that No Deal just went through the roof and with Boris having to ignore the Law. His only alternative is to resign to avoid the ignominy of having to write an A.50 extension letter.

His EU negotiation strategy is not fucked, it is non existent.

1. You can't keep insisting a red line is "cast in bronze", when it ultimately has to be given up to move forward.

2. You can't try and prosecute either a Political Declaration or even an expectation on a future relationship comprising no/limited regulatory alignment, when that will never be accepted in a million years.

More importantly in the interim that simply forces the EU to not accept anything but a "upfront iron clad" Irish solution in any Withdrawal Agreement. An "agreement to agree" is worthless and not an agreement.

3. If you exit EU on 31 October with No Deal, on 1 November nothing changes except any future dealings with EU are now infinitely more difficult to prosecute and finalise.

Boris is now like watching a Kamakazi pilot's last flight preperations of sucking on Sake or a suicide bomber's "dying for heaven" video.

BJ plans are as expected winging it. Reactive instead of pro active.
Goal Brexit now, deal or no deal, deal being almost no deal with some cherry picking.
Probably end up inn court after the 19th. over the Benn bill. When he refuses to ask for extension.

Libdems, fighting Brexiteers.
TBP, fighting anti Brexiteers.

Tories, fighting remainers/soft exiteers in party to become a tough Brexit party.
Labour, fighting other labour people. With softer deal to remain stance. With 2d ref.

Wow, Boris Johnson is managing to turn bankers into labour supporters.

Harvey, an analyst for Deutsche Bank in the City of London, told the Telegraph: “We see the magnitude of economic damage caused by a no-deal Brexit as much higher than [that caused by] policies proposed in the last Labour manifesto.” In the same article, Christian Schulz, an analyst for Citibank, noted approvingly that “Labour has become more decisively pro-EU”, while “a fiscally profligate no-deal Conservative government” had become less “enticing”.

The British are now one of the most pessimistic in the world about the direction of their country. Second graph is 2016 post Referendum drinks but before sobering up and when immigration the greatest concern.

Surely it has nothing to do with pursuing the most dangerous act of self harm and refusing to admit they might be wrong?

Courtesy Ipsos MORI

EE75v9kXoAInV6g (1).jpeg

EE-RsyEXkAU-zki.jpeg

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The British are now one of the most pessimistic in the world about the direction of their country. Second graph is 2016 post Referendum drinks but before sobering up and when immigration the greatest concern.

Surely it has nothing to do with pursuing the most dangerous act of self harm and refusing to admit they might be wrong?

Courtesy Ipsos MORI

EE75v9kXoAInV6g (1).jpeg

EE-RsyEXkAU-zki.jpeg

I could have confirmed that without the need of a survey. 

• Like 1

Yes, well, democracy is a very broad brush.  This piece, Deplorables, reflects the worst on all sides.  The hardening of discourse is at the core of all of this.  But democracy is not an end, or even a grounds, for public engagement.  Democracy, like any tool, reflects the user.  A sledge hammer is maybe not so great as a mechanism for brain surgery.  The piece merely plays to the tool, unfortunately, and not to the grounds for using the tool.  Just for fun, maybe consider Dworkin on rights (taking rights seriously) to look at the underlying mechanisms of dispute and of the management of conflict.

Populism, schmopulism - its all tribal.  Isn't it fun sinking back into our pongid past?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, crashdog said:

Yes, well, democracy is a very broad brush.  This piece, Deplorables, reflects the worst on all sides.  The hardening of discourse is at the core of all of this.  But democracy is not an end, or even a grounds, for public engagement.  Democracy, like any tool, reflects the user.  A sledge hammer is maybe not so great as a mechanism for brain surgery.  The piece merely plays to the tool, unfortunately, and not to the grounds for using the tool.  Just for fun, maybe consider Dworkin on rights (taking rights seriously) to look at the underlying mechanisms of dispute and of the management of conflict.

Populism, schmopulism - its all tribal.  Isn't it fun sinking back into our pongid past?

I’ve learnt something new from this one, thanks. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pongidae

Dworkin's theory is 'interpretive': the law is whatever follows from a constructive interpretation of the institutional history of the legal system. Dworkin argues that moral principles that people hold dear are often wrong, even to the extent that certain crimes are acceptable if one's principles are skewed enough.

@Fiji Bitter

i get a chuckle out of overgrown idiots like yourself downvoting posts you disagree with instead of acting like an adult and presenting a counter argument .

how juvenile must one be to resort to such childish behavior 

lol

Probability of Labour conference spitting out a Remain position is increasing. The Muscovites doing a deal and neutral position for a referendum is nuts.

IMG_20190922_095830.jpg

1 hour ago, Sea warrior said:

The dumb fuck electorate voted to leave, why the fuck should they get special treatment?? 

A bit like walking out the door and yelling for a divorce and then coming back asking to keep the sofa, the bed, the cat and conjugal visits. :lol:

How about not shitting on the other 27 partners in the relationship? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mad said:

The dumb fuck electorate voted to leave, why the fuck should they get special treatment?? 

And this ladies and gentlemen is the puerile attitude of the remainers which pushed the Brexiteers to the polls.

Keep it up Mad, yer doing a fine job...

2 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

And this ladies and gentlemen is the puerile attitude of the remainers which pushed the Brexiteers to the polls.

Keep it up Mad, yer doing a fine job...

How did you vote? And on what basis?

Was it to improve yours and your family’s life? 

How do you see Brexit making life better for you? 

This is the epitome of a Brexiteer of all political pursuasions who hasn't a fucking clue what they are talking about. I thought it worthy enough to make a list.

1. He steps out of his French car, of course recently bought before the price skyrockets on 1 Nov. By the way mate pay your road tax and get an MOT like the rest of the UK.

EE_0RrqXoAEu3YG.thumb.jpeg.d04a079d11c5c86dc693d0be479de443.jpeg

2. That Haddock he is eating could well have come from China or Russia. 90% of the fish processed in Grimsby is imported. However in the event that Haddock he is eating was locally caught, does he know fish swim, did he check its passport indicating it was born in UK waters?

EE_PMOeXsAAkK3h.thumb.jpeg.55c765d0e716e633378d14c5dfdd8080.jpeg

3. If locally caught by a EU vessel then what happens to the UK licence/quota they purchased from a gready UK fisherman who sold it and retired to Spain? This is with the benefit of the UK stupidly allowing that sale offshore unlike other EU countries. What will it be? Forced resumption of those quotas or war on the high seas, take your pick. For those who sold their UK quota locally, it probably ended up in the hands of the Rich Listers who monopolise UK fishing.

4. The argument that the EU allocation of the allowable catch in UK waters sitting in non-UK fishing quotas can be reallocated to UK fisherman works both ways. UK fisherman currently with EU quotas outside UK waters will lose their quota.

5. By crashing out with no deal the EU will have no fishing treaty protection like that of even non EU countries like Iceland and Norway have signed up to. All UK habitat and stock protection will cease to exist with No Deal.

6. How is the UK going to monitor it's waters for compliance and to avoid battles at sea when it only has "12 vessels to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK" ? Something missing from the "Yellow Hammer report and which nothing realistic has been done to address for a No Deal outcome.

7. More than 70% of the UK catch gets exported to the EU while the majority it consumes is imported and around one-third imported from the EU. The net result of No Deal is people will have less choice and to exercise choice will cost a lot more via EU tarriffs. The UK might set a new world record for consumption of mackerel and herring.

Subject to that consumer outcome with limited markets elsewhere for a fresh product, returns for local fisherman via that premium will disappear or even dumping occur if freezing/export facilities are not available close to where they land their catch.

8. For those fisherman who currently catch that 70% + which is exported and land their catch in EU ports they will now have to comply with these procedures. Other than large companies good luck with that red tape, red tape that was dissapearing fisherman were told in 2016. Many smaller operators will probably go under.

EE_7GOPXsAM2liO.thumb.jpeg.7990d36f41e5f19ba038db548654b5b7.jpeg

9. Prorogation has halted and wiped out the progress of the Fisheries Bill and it will have to start again in a new session of Parliament. So come No Deal on October 31st the UK won't have an independent fishing policy and will in fact be illegal. 

10. I have no idea of the EU grants to UK coastal regions like Grimsby but my guess is they are huge to compensate for a reset in the UK fishing industry that has occured in a lot of places worldwide and for all forms of primary production suffering depletion in stocks.

11. Finally if he and Farage care so much about British fisherman, why as a EU Fisheries Committee member did Farage only turn up to just 1 of 42 meetings in 3 years?

What a Cockwarbler still perpetuating the bullshit of 2016 that enticed many UK fisherman and the populations of fishing dependant towns like Grimsby to vote Leave. A town by the way which has seen the light, changed its mind and now wants to stay in the EU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mad said:

How did you vote? And on what basis?

Was it to improve yours and your family’s life? 

How do you see Brexit making life better for you? 

Take a wee look at my location mate.

this shit is not rocket science 

5 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Take a wee look at my location mate.

this shit is not rocket science 

Chicagoish 

What ever that means? 

Can you answer any of the questions?  Got any vested interests? Or just trolling?

2 minutes ago, mad said:

Chicagoish 

What ever that means? 

Can you answer any of the questions?  Got any vested interests? Or just trolling?

You, or some other poster (frankly I can’t remember who) asked me some time ago where I was from and I answered the question quite clearly , but unfortunately, I was then accused of being a sock, which I am not. Now believe me when I say that I've zero interest in regurgitating or pandering to stupid but suffice to say that I’ve as much interest vested and otherwise in the outcome of this clustrrfuck as any poster here.

54 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

...or pandering to stupid but suffice to say that I’ve as much interest vested and otherwise in the outcome of this clustrrfuck as any poster here.

So Pond Warrior from the shores of Nth America you say you have as much vested interest in the Brexit outcome as any poster here and for those here that don't subscribe to your opinions, are quote; stupid, cockgobblers etc???

You need to give yourself and your superiority complex an uppercut for that gem.

3 hours ago, mad said:

A bit like walking out the door and yelling for a divorce and then coming back asking to keep the sofa, the bed, the cat and conjugal visits. :lol:

How about not shitting on the other 27 partners in the relationship? 

Seems to me one side has asked for a divorce and the bed and cat. With the threat that if they don't get it they will just stay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So Pond Warrior from the shores of Nth America you say you have as much vested interest in the Brexit outcome as any poster here and for those here that don't subscribe to your opinions, are quote; stupid, cockgobblers etc???

You need to give yourself and your superiority complex an uppercut for that gem.

1) I may live on the shores of North America but that doesn’t mean that I’m from those same shores.

2) the “cockgobbelers” reference is specifically addressed to “cockgobbelers” such as yourself who are spending an inordinate amount of time on this Internet forum (and presumably other forums) doing your best to thwart the Democratic will of the people of the U.K. 

edit: 3) it’s “sea warrior” You semiliterate cockgobbeler.

15 minutes ago, Gissie said:

With the threat that if they don't get it they will just stay.

If you read various reports many in the EU are saying even if the UK were to rescind A.50 and stay, the disruption by their presence exceeds the positives. They see the UK continuing their decades long policy of opting out when unity is important.

For that reason if Boris or his successor can't demonstrate a bonafide desire to sign up to a Withdrawal Agreement that works, it only takes one of the EU27 to reject an extension leaving Parliament with only one choice before 31 October, recind A.50 or not.

A lot of divorces culminate with one party saying fuck it, they sign the papers uncontested and simply say "now fuck off".

30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

If you read various reports many in the EU are saying even if the UK were to rescind A.50 and stay, the disruption by their presence exceeds the positives. They see the UK continuing their decades long policy of opting out when unity is important.

For that reason if Boris or his successor can't demonstrate a bonafide desire to sign up to a Withdrawal Agreement that works, it only takes one of the EU27 to reject an extension leaving Parliament with only one choice before 31 October, recind A.50 or not.

A lot of divorces culminate with one party saying fuck it, they sign the papers uncontested and simply say "now fuck off".

Agreed. I wonder how long before the EU decides the pain of a no deal is less than the pain of having GB staying.

4 hours ago, Gissie said:

Agreed. I wonder how long before the EU decides the pain of a no deal is less than the pain of having GB staying.

My guess is of E27 that is already hovering at around 3 maybe even 4 of the 27 now where France the leader of the "UK can fuck off, we have had enough" movement.

However the No Deal impacts upon Ireland in particular, then Belgium and Netherlands in that order (latter two far less but both about around equal depending to what measure you use) and then the sway Germany has in the EU combined with them being on the cusp of recession, but having the fiscal grunt and monetary influence via the EuroZone to stop or temper that spreading throughout the EU.

That will translate into the EU capitulating on an extension to A.50 come 31 October before telling the UK to "just fuck off".

However come 31 January a date pushed out by the Benn Act.

If no progress on a meaningful Deal regardless who is running the show in the UK, General Election or not, then I suspect it will be 27/27 telling the UK to just "fuck off" and if it is with No Deal they will be unanimous in no longer caring anymore. In fact they will engineer that with the full agreement of Ireland and others impacted the most by helping them out financially.

The most bizzare thing now is Boris is still being allowed by the Tory party and fellow MP's to have Rasputin run their "stay alive" and Brexit in accord with a 52/48 vote now over 3 years old and getting irrelevant by the day. Watch the Labour parties new position post their current piss up. They will get off the fence and go Remain.

What are Tory's doing?

Rasputin's success rate to date in Westminister is zero. Come the Supreme Court Appeal outcome early this week his strategy has Boris either breaking the law, going to jail, proroguing again or resigning so he doesn't go through the ignomy of being belted by Farage in a general election.

Great strategy bubble head from Mars, put yourself into a corner while shooting yourself in the foot with a spokesperson who lies their guts out. You can't make this up.

The most telling point this last week was when a Judge on the Supreme Court bench asked bizarrely in essence of the Government's QC, whether his client would abide by their Prorogation Ruling? Boris's man simply said he had no instructions from his client about that. WTF.

Rasputin came to an ugly end in 1916 dying of three gunshot wounds, one of which was a close-range shot to his head.

IMG_20190922_183909.jpg.0831c65f9a943de908c07dc86b14ed65.jpg

His clients the Romanovs or the Russian imperial family In 1918, were herded into a cellar for a brutal death by the Bolsheviks.

790382598_images-2019-09-22T182340_858.jpeg.fab79e3e0abea3b8762ba254f137c042.jpeg

Anyone know if Corbyn or Swinson own a gun? Boris will obviously be Tsar Nicholas II. However that leaves Rees Mogg having to either be a cross dresser LGBT type and someone forgot the couch, or he is just a meer only male child?

There are so many questions about Brexit.

9 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

@Fiji Bitter

i get a chuckle out of overgrown idiots like yourself downvoting posts you disagree with instead of acting like an adult and presenting a counter argument .

how juvenile must one be to resort to such childish behavior 

lol

Screenshot_20190922-152223.thumb.png.99c1fa7e789988b416090432e00bade3.png

Looks like good old Jean- Claude is downvoting that stupid speech too.

And BTW, most of my "alien" friends in England are not LOL at all, and neither do some English friends with export/import businesses,

For instance, a good friend with an indefinite visa revoked after 30+ years of owning a highly successful UK business, and with a partner of 20+ years who is now not eligible for "settled" status.

Another non EU friend, married to an EU citizen, with English kids and business employing 30 English people, being held by immigration at an airport, until his wife could drive to the airport with papers, proofing he owned the company.

Or the English friend married to an EU citizen, with 2 English kids, who's wife was being interrogated and held up at an airport for an hour. 

They can all take it, sell up and move out, like some friends did already. But how many are not so fortunate, are completely stuck and worried to death? Not a laughing matter at all.

And for myself, with a UK degree,  who worked there and was on the board of an UK/Euro company with 6 proper UK directors (who all believed in the EU), sailed more RORC races with and against more UK friends than most here, including a 2-handed Around Britain and Ireland Race  (incl The British Isles, no mention of N-Ireland), as well as some other "minor" English beercan races actually, in short a proud anglophile, as well as a francophile BTW, or europhile if you like, to me what is happening now, even while living as far away as you can get, is just painful.

Oh, and I noticed you said earlier "you people are a disgrace to all those who fought and died for your freedoms." You cannot speak for them and you got no fucking idea anyway.

Enough said, to Iggyland you go, goodbye.

FB.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

My guess is of E27 that is already hovering at around 3 maybe even 4 of the 27 now where France the leader of the "UK can fuck off, we have had enough" movement.

However the No Deal impacts upon Ireland in particular, then Belgium and Netherlands in that order (latter two far less but both about around equal depending to what measure you use) and then the sway Germany has in the EU combined with them being on the cusp of recession, but having the fiscal grunt and monetary influence via the EuroZone to stop or temper that spreading throughout the EU.

That will translate into the EU capitulating on an extension to A.50 come 31 October before telling the UK to "just fuck off".

However come 31 January a date pushed out by the Benn Act.

If no progress on a meaningful Deal regardless who is running the show in the UK, General Election or not, then I suspect it will be 27/27 telling the UK to just "fuck off" and if it is with No Deal they will be unanimous in no longer caring anymore. In fact they will engineer that with the full agreement of Ireland and others impacted the most by helping them out financially.

The most bizzare thing now is Boris is still being allowed by the Tory party and fellow MP's to have Rasputin run their "stay alive" and Brexit in accord with a 52/48 vote now over 3 years old and getting irrelevant by the day. Watch the Labour parties new position post their current piss up. They will get off the fence and go Remain.

What are Tory's doing?

Rasputin's success rate to date in Westminister is zero. Come the Supreme Court Appeal outcome early this week his strategy has Boris either breaking the law, going to jail, proroguing again or resigning so he doesn't go through the ignomy of being belted by Farage in a general election.

Great strategy bubble head from Mars, put yourself into a corner while shooting yourself in the foot with a spokesperson who lies their guts out. You can't make this up.

The most telling point this last week was when a Judge on the Supreme Court bench asked bizarrely in essence of the Government's QC, whether his client would abide by their Prorogation Ruling? Boris's man simply said he had no instructions from his client about that. WTF.

Rasputin came to an ugly end in 1916 dying of three gunshot wounds, one of which was a close-range shot to his head.

IMG_20190922_183909.jpg.0831c65f9a943de908c07dc86b14ed65.jpg

His clients the Romanovs or the Russian imperial family In 1918, were herded into a cellar for a brutal death by the Bolsheviks.

790382598_images-2019-09-22T182340_858.jpeg.fab79e3e0abea3b8762ba254f137c042.jpeg

Anyone know if Corbyn or Swinson own a gun? Boris will obviously be Tsar Nicholas II. However that leaves Rees Mogg having to either wear a dress and someone forgot the couch or he is just a meer child?

There are so many questions about Brexit.

Agree that an extension will be granted despite the sabre rattling by the frogs. The time will be used to get themselves setup for a no deal as much as possible and then tell GB to off.

As for the bizarre question from the judge, he should be removed from the bench for being a complete knobend. Whether anyone is going to actually follow their decision has nothing to do with them and thinking it does shows a bias that should not be acceptable.

34 minutes ago, Gissie said:

As for the bizarre question from the judge, he should be removed from the bench for being a complete knobend. Whether anyone is going to actually follow their decision has nothing to do with them and thinking it does shows a bias that should not be acceptable.

I think you missed the point of his question of the Government's QC/representative.

It wasn't one of the Supreme Court looking to impose any direction upon the Government. That is outside the grounds of the appeal. You also maybe don't appreciate how appeal proceedings operate, being questions from the bench, unlike lower courts. 

He was simply fleshing out the concept that the Government had little regard or not for the Supreme Court's ruling what ever it may be in this appeal. Yes or No?

He nailed it. Great question. Boris's representative essentially said Boris doesn't give a fuck about any Supreme Court ruling.

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

However that leaves Rees Mogg having to either be a cross dresser LGBT type and someone forgot the couch, or he is just a meer only male child?

No wonder that facsist Rees Mogg want to keep the Marxists out of government, and would rather share the couch with Farage.

7 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

You, or some other poster (frankly I can’t remember who) asked me some time ago where I was from and I answered the question quite clearly , but unfortunately, I was then accused of being a sock, which I am not. Now believe me when I say that I've zero interest in regurgitating or pandering to stupid but suffice to say that I’ve as much interest vested and otherwise in the outcome of this clustrrfuck as any poster here.

Nice dodge, so you’re obviously not happy about making any statements or answering any questions to back up your position. 

Sounds like so many of the Brexiteers. 

8 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

...or pandering to stupid but suffice to say that I’ve as much interest vested and otherwise in the outcome of this clustrrfuck as any poster here.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

As the weekend and not much happening on the news front I will waste 5 minutes and deal with Pond Boys response to the above.

1) I may live on the shores of North America but that doesn’t mean that I’m from those same shores.

Doesn't matter where you have been or going to. I guarantee Pond Warrior you have never spent more than 5 minutes sleeping under the Union Jack.

That is opposed to say @mad  since birth or even my mere UK connection of 6 decades with €100m pa turnover skin in the game.

2) the “cockgobbelers” reference is specifically addressed to “cockgobbelers” such as yourself who are spending an inordinate amount of time on this Internet forum (and presumably other forums) doing your best to thwart the Democratic will of the people of the U.K

Inordinate time contributing on this thread equals thwarting the will of the people? WTF.

That is Waynespeak for you not being able to formulate a Leave argument Pond Boy. All you do on this thread is make Pro Brexit "statements" just like this idiot Brexit Party MP who can't even formulate a question in the time allotted.

Pond Boy you are a " Brexit preacher" just like that BP fool in Strasbourg, who has neither the inclination or common courtesy to ask a question of the other side. Xenophobia on steroids.

BTW since this threads inception I have always respected the "sovereignty" aspect of Leavers, while I think misguided, impossible to counter. 

Other forums I participate in you say?  The only social media account I subscribe to is SA. My life has encompassed offshore sailing in all its derivatives. One hobby I have is history and politics. Brexit has collided with that and with a UK family business nearly 6 decades old. Hence why I'm here. Your excuse??

edit: 3) it’s “sea warrior” You semiliterate cockgobbeler.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not "semiliterate" calling you a "Pond Warrior". You are clearly someone who has never been outside the sight of land and clearly not one I would want to spend on the rail with for more than 5 minutes.

@mad over to you.

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

That is indeed the sentiment overhere,  the whole sentiment gets even amplified by the whole soap that we have witnessed for last years/months in that trust in the UK as a reasonable and trustworthy partner has dwindled down the drain, god forbid this lot to remain somehow in the EU ? no thanks.

On the near certainty that the EU will go for another delay : it was rather telling that our governement just yesterday issued a note that "we are as prepared as one can be for a hard brexit", on the question about what "as good as can be" really means, it was said that there are too many factors (example was : the French have told us they will not close the border, but will they really ?) to be sure there will not be any problems, but we'll deal with them. Biggest factor seems to be handling traffic in view of border control, that's where closing borders comes up. Of course all this is part of the game, add to the pressure.

• Like 2

I think you missed the point of his question of the Government's QC/representative.

It wasn't one of the Supreme Court looking to impose any direction upon the Government. That is outside the grounds of the appeal. You also maybe don't appreciate how appeal proceedings operate, being questions from the bench, unlike lower courts. 

He was simply fleshing out the concept that the Government had little regard or not for the Supreme Court's ruling what ever it may be in this appeal. Yes or No?

He nailed it. Great question. Boris's representative essentially said Boris doesn't give a fuck about any Supreme Court ruling.

Thanks for the correction. Not a subject I bother to deeply with but will look into this some more.

2 hours ago, mad said:

Nice dodge, so you’re obviously not happy about making any statements or answering any questions to back up your position. 

Mad Pond Boy is not alone. Name anyone in Government who has published an "authentic pro Brexit statement"?  

Spoiler... I ran into this person in a 1st Class airline lounge on Thursday and we had a chat, with me not making their or their minders day.

I'm still in a state of shock this happened, the world is a small place and pondering about whether to post here what was said..anyone know about MI5's reach?

Hint.

IMG_20190922_222402.jpg

48 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mad Pond Boy is not alone. Name anyone in Government who has published an "authentic pro Brexit statement"?  

Spoiler... I ran into this person in a 1st Class airline lounge on Thursday and we had a chat, with me not making their or their minders day.

I'm still in a state of shock this happened, the world is a small place and pondering about whether to post here what was said..anyone know about MI5's reach?

Hint.

IMG_20190922_222402.jpg

[grin]she's boinkable or at least spankable ? inquiring minds want to know [/grin]

Hint.

IMG_20190922_222402.jpg

The list is long and getting longer for some these, especially her. 

Its a safe bet that MI5/6 are beyond giving a shit about the temporary powers currently in control. (Using the term control in its loosest term possible). 

Did you glean any insight or level of thought process? 

57 minutes ago, Albatros said:

[grin]she's boinkable or at least spankable ? inquiring minds want to know [/grin]

Actually in real life not too shabby ..but then she starts talking and Seppuku/Harakiri comes to mind...which is ironic given her flight destination in mind.

24 minutes ago, mad said:

Its a safe bet that MI5/6 are beyond giving a shit about the temporary powers currently in control. (Using the term control in its loosest term possible). 

Mad are you sure it is safe for me to blab?

b0b15dd213336f1dd7bffad5ac3d0e9b.gif

Just when everyone thought the party would take him off the fence he is back on it and now sporting a saddle.

This lot make the Tory's look organised and united.

IMG_20190923_004627.jpg

"It did not work. The Euro-fanatics – as Ken Clarke describes himself in his Memoirs – knew that by taking Britain into the EU, they were carrying out transplant surgery; inserting a new organ into our body politic. In the early years, a lot of immuno-suppressant drugs would be needed. As time passed, however, the patient would settle down. That has not happened."

The Spectator - It’s no surprise that Brexit looks doomed

• Like 1

It’s behind a paywall, maybe Jack will help those of us that don’t subscribe. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exclusive-boris-johnson-overruled-officials-to-take-friend-jennifer-arcuri-on-jet-set-trade-missions-5v0clbmmj

Boris Johnson failed to declare a series of potential conflicts of interest over a close friendship with an American model turned technology entrepreneur during his time as London mayor.

An investigation by The Sunday Times can reveal that the woman, Jennifer Arcuri, was given a total of £126,000 in public money and privileged access to three official overseas trade missions led by Johnson.

Sources have confirmed that Johnson, now 55 and prime minister, was a regular visitor to Arcuri’s top-floor flat in Shoreditch, east London.

Arcuri, who was in her late twenties at the time, is claimed to have described him as “one of her best friends”.

Evidence obtained by this newspaper shows that in 2013 Arcuri’s fledgling business received £10,000 in sponsorship cash from…

Twitter is rather busy with it as well 

5 hours ago, Albatros said:

Absolutely fucking vile creature. 

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

"It did not work. The Euro-fanatics – as Ken Clarke describes himself in his Memoirs – knew that by taking Britain into the EU, they were carrying out transplant surgery; inserting a new organ into our body politic. In the early years, a lot of immuno-suppressant drugs would be needed. As time passed, however, the patient would settle down. That has not happened."

The following passage rings particularly true to me:

Second, at the end of the big wars which did touch us directly, we were always on the winning side. So we could take pride in being British and enjoy the services of thanksgiving. No doubt the prayers during those services often had a complacent tone. That was unjustified. We ought to have given thanks to God or infinity or whatever – for the beneficence of geography, in the form of the English Channel. It spared us so much. We did suffer, but not on the scale of the ravages and miseries and destruction which afflicted so much of the Continent, and discredited the nation state. From this, there emerged a modern political culture which we find largely incomprehensible.  

Said another way for the continentals the "European Project" is a necessity. For the British it is an exercise in convenience or economic opportunity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A particularly clear reminder that Britain has not particularly distinguished itself in foreign policy over the last century or so. (Some might argue for even longer than that)

"Why then did so much go wrong? The Crimean War was poorly managed. Although we did stumble into a sort of victory, it was an undignified process. The same was true of the Boer War. As for the First World War, that second Fall of Man, there must have been an alternative. What did it achieve, beyond preparing the wicket for the Second one? That was preceded by Appeasement, about which the arguments are endless. But one point is clear. British foreign policy in the 1930s ended in failure. 

Then there was the botched final phase of the Indian Empire, leading to slaughter and enduring enmity. It may have been that there was no way to assuage Hindu-Muslim antagonism. We did not seriously try. Then we move on to Suez and the scuttle from Africa."

On 9/21/2019 at 9:58 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Courtesy Ipsos MORI

EE75v9kXoAInV6g (1).jpeg

EE-RsyEXkAU-zki.jpeg

The most interesting thing about this to me is that the two top countries for being on the right track, China and Saudi Arabia, are two countries that I would consider to be on the wrong track due to their authoritarian governments and low regard for human rights. This is testament to the ability of an authoritarian government to control the mindset of the people by controlling the media.

7 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Well that's one way to get back at Cameron, Johnson et al

Labour vows to ABOLISH private schools: Activists vote in favour of axing independent education sector and Jeremy Corbyn will now have to put the policy in his next general election manifesto

As popular as it maybe to some, it’s more likely to be another nail in the Labour coffin at the next election in my view. 

Thomas Cook, Britain's oldest travel agent, was close to collapsing on Sunday night as last-ditch rescue talks looked like ending in catastrophic failure.

Sky News has learnt that the company's creditors and the government are anticipating an announcement on Monday morning that the 178-year-old business had ceased trading - with a new Whitehall taskforce set up to address the crisis.

Weak trading, which company executives have partly blamed on Brexit-related uncertainty, has forced them to increase Thomas Cook's financing requirements several times in recent months.

Sky News revealed on Thursday that Thomas Cook, which was founded in 1841, was expected to crash into administration as soon as Sunday night unless the £200m funding gap could be filled.

More than 20,000 jobs across the group are at risk if its collapse is confirmed.

2 hours ago, mad said:

As popular as it maybe to some, it’s more likely to be another nail in the Labour coffin at the next election in my view. 

Mad you are right, this is bad politics (but enjoyably spiteful).

Done right it's not a crazy policy idea...in a number of rankings Finland has the top schooling. There are effectively no private schools in Finland (the few are fully publicly funded, don't charge tuition and are not selective in admission). As I understand part of the rational for discouraging an independent private system is that with only one system there is uniform pressure to make it both good and accommodating of all. {Finns or others who know better than I please chime in}.

However, given the competence demonstrated by the British public sector I don't think any expansion of their role is currently warranted.

Regardless of the policy wisdom of,  or of not ending private schooling in the UK...it does seem to be stupid politics. Those that love the idea were already going to vote labour. Many that might have considered voting labour (e.g. centrist Remainers) may now reconsider their vote - maybe because they like the idea of sending their kids to Eton, but more likely because the thought of labour relishing and prioritizing class warfare is not comforting at a time the country sorely needs healing.

16 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Screenshot_20190922-152223.thumb.png.99c1fa7e789988b416090432e00bade3.png

Looks like good old Jean- Claude is downvoting that stupid speech too.

And BTW, most of my "alien" friends in England are not LOL at all, and neither do some English friends with export/import businesses,

For instance, a good friend with an indefinite visa revoked after 30+ years of owning a highly successful UK business, and with a partner of 20+ years who is now not eligible for "settled" status.

Another non EU friend, married to an EU citizen, with English kids and business employing 30 English people, being held by immigration at an airport, until his wife could drive to the airport with papers, proofing he owned the company.

Or the English friend married to an EU citizen, with 2 English kids, who's wife was being interrogated and held up at an airport for an hour. 

They can all take it, sell up and move out, like some friends did already. But how many are not so fortunate, are completely stuck and worried to death? Not a laughing matter at all.

And for myself, with a UK degree,  who worked there and was on the board of an UK/Euro company with 6 proper UK directors (who all believed in the EU), sailed more RORC races with and against more UK friends than most here, including a 2-handed Around Britain and Ireland Race  (incl The British Isles, no mention of N-Ireland), as well as some other "minor" English beercan races actually, in short a proud anglophile, as well as a francophile BTW, or europhile if you like, to me what is happening now, even while living as far away as you can get, is just painful.

Oh, and I noticed you said earlier "you people are a disgrace to all those who fought and died for your freedoms." You cannot speak for them and you got no fucking idea anyway.

Enough said, to Iggyland you go, goodbye.

FB.

How childish of you, putting those you disagree with on ignore, heavens forbid you’d listen to differing opinions.

Unfortunately for all you ladies, there is no ignore function for Brexit.

1 hour ago, jgh66 said:

Weak trading, which company executives have partly blamed on Brexit-related uncertainty, has forced them to increase Thomas Cook's financing requirements several times in recent months.

What UK MD in the middle of insolvency wouldn’t blame Brexit right now. It’s the perfect boogey man – everyone is talking about it and it is scary in known and unknown ways. What a great cover up for years of crap management.

While it is true that Brexit won’t have been helpful to Thomas Cook this is not a new problem, in 2011 before Brexit was a thing TC was on the ropes.

Thomas Cook has had a long and not always glorious history including a period owned and operated by British Rail.

14 hours ago, mad said:

I’m not dodging anything.

I've stated categorically that I am in favor of the U.K. leaving the EU.

I acknowledged that there will be economic consequences but I firmly believe that the decision will be beneficial to the citizens of the U.K. in the long term.

I believe that the referendum was democratic and that the people have spoken and that all you who are trying to usurp the democratic will of the people are a danger to democracy.

Finally, I have no doubt but that this expansion of the powers of Brussels needs to be curtailed and that no further sovereignty should be sacrificed by any of the 27 nations without a referendum in the respective countries about whether the citizenry wish to become part of a federation of states of Europe.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not "semiliterate" calling you a "Pond Warrior". You are clearly someone who has never been outside the sight of land and clearly not one I would want to spend on the rail with for more than 5 minutes.

Don’t flatter yourself there mate, I’d have zero desire to associate with a Nancy like you in meatspace and I guarantee you that I eat and shit more adventure before breakfast than girls like you achieve in a lifetime.

Now run along and shove that silver spoon your pappy gave you up your hole.

Hint.

IMG_20190922_222402.jpg

Time to update those HM govt issued mobile phones?

53 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

I believe that the referendum was democratic and that the people have spoken and that all you who are trying to usurp the democratic will of the people are a danger to democracy.

Yes, the British public voted yes to letting Brexit shag them with a condom in a well lubed up vagina. They did not how ever give consent to getting fucked in the arse without lubricant or a condom, which is what Boris is trying to do to them.

These days, stealthing and other sex acts without explicit consent is a crime.

metoo-1-1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mad said:

No need just Google Jenifer Arcuri.

It starting to read like she is a bit of a con artist which is even worse.

The last piece in the puzzel of Boris's step by step guide to Brexit fits in.

Step 1: Shag yourself silly at taxpayers expense to divert media attention

Step 2: Create national emergency

Step 3: Implement wide-ranging suspension of oversight and law

Step 4: Autocracy

Step 5: Profiteering

IMG_20190923_131521.jpg

5 hours ago, mad said:

Passed at Labour Conference yesterday. Not sure the old class warfare trick works in the UK anymore.

Seizing private school properties, donations, investments etc sets a great precedent for elsewhere in a aspirational society.

Lib Dems just got more votes.

EFFLrllWkAEZAWs.jpeg

This is Corbyn's Brexit policy that Labour’s Executive passed 16/10 (one abstained) that will be proposed to the conference today.

I assume there will be at least one Remain motion to counter this, however when party membership is stacked with Leavers as opposed to MP's that favour Remain, the prospects of the Executive getting their way appears strong.

It is only when you see it in writing that the lunacy of it sinks in.

1. General election with a neutral Brexit policy.

2. After the election by special party conference determine party campaign policy of either Remain or Leave in a Referendum. 

3. Secure a Deal within 3 months.

4. Within 6 months have a Referendum with choice of Remain or that Deal.

5. Implement Referendum result.

It is absurd at every step, starting with a Brexit election that is neutral on Brexit?? WTF.

Also things like why should the EU offer Labour a Brexit deal if a majority of the Government are saying in advance they will campaign against it?  But if they somehow succeed, how could the leadership stay neutral on that deal they’ve negotiated if party policy is to remain?

All Labour’s ‘leave deal’ it is putting to a Referendum is the Political Declaration. However this is not a "done deal" and is  aspirational, not binding. That could change long after the referendum for a million reasons such as changes in government priorities etc.

The language in this policy is even nuts when describing the proposed deal. There is no such thing as a "new" EU-UK Customs Union. There is the EU27 Customs Union and that's it. There is no such thing as a "close relationship" to the Single Market, you are either in it or outside it, there is no in-between.

All this does is surely push more votes to the Lib Dems.

EFE48KQXkAUJG1v.jpeg

EFE48KRXYAAnfUE.jpeg

19 hours ago, Albatros said:

That is indeed the sentiment overhere,  the whole sentiment gets even amplified by the whole soap that we have witnessed for last years/months in that trust in the UK as a reasonable and trustworthy partner has dwindled down the drain, god forbid this lot to remain somehow in the EU ? no thanks.

On the near certainty that the EU will go for another delay : it was rather telling that our governement just yesterday issued a note that "we are as prepared as one can be for a hard brexit", on the question about what "as good as can be" really means, it was said that there are too many factors (example was : the French have told us they will not close the border, but will they really ?) to be sure there will not be any problems, but we'll deal with them. Biggest factor seems to be handling traffic in view of border control, that's where closing borders comes up. Of course all this is part of the game, add to the pressure.

It means that they feel as ready as they can to blame the Irish.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Passed at Labour Conference yesterday. Not sure the old class warfare trick works in the UK anymore.

Seizing private school properties, donations, investments etc sets a great precedent for elsewhere in a aspirational society.

Lib Dems just got more votes.

EFFLrllWkAEZAWs.jpeg

I'd agree with the stupidity of class warfare, and some of the schools will just move abroad, that would cause the loss on much foreign income. Those parents no longer able to afford the extra cost (due to having to board rather than go to a local private school) would have to use state schools, which will cost the country much more than the discounts given to those private schools using charity status..

PS Diane Abbots children go to private school, as did Jeremy Corbyns...

5 hours ago, KC375 said:

What UK MD in the middle of insolvency wouldn’t blame Brexit right now. It’s the perfect boogey man – everyone is talking about it and it is scary in known and unknown ways. What a great cover up for years of crap management.

While it is true that Brexit won’t have been helpful to Thomas Cook this is not a new problem, in 2011 before Brexit was a thing TC was on the ropes.

Thomas Cook has had a long and not always glorious history including a period owned and operated by British Rail.

TC itself  saw Brexit as a major problem. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/thomas-cook-share-price-profit-loss-results-brexit-travel-flights-a8916061.html%3famp

Next to some hot summers in northern europe the higher costs of vacation and higher prices for living in the UK due to the low pound, which is low due to Brexit was one of the reasons, next to uncertainty of what will happen after a brexit plus a lot other problems. 

Maybe without the hot summers TC could have survived, maybe without Brexit. It will go on with the car industry, japanese builders used UK as a hub into EU, now Japan has a free trade agreement with the EU, Vauxhall Opel PSA wil likely move Astra production to mainland europe,.Ford is closing factories... 

I'm living in EU 27 and respect the will of the UK to leave. UK has never been a real EU country, and it might be even better if they are not disturbing the process of european integration anymore. While it is sad that Europe might be losing 1.7 million jobs, 500000 of these in the UK in a time where a strong EU is needed to compete against China and US cause UK is on a commercial suicide mission. BJs friend Donald T will like it. 

1 hour ago, The Q said:

I'd agree with the stupidity of class warfare, and some of the schools will just move abroad, that would cause the loss on much foreign income.

It also ricochets up the education system particularly where foreign students are in private school boarding accommodation, not provided by the state, then move onto University.

The first chart (2017) indicates foreign students generate more than £25 billion for the English economy (excluding Scotland, Wales and NI who mustn't have universities) and provide a significant boost to regional jobs and local businesses. The regional spread is not appreciated by many.

The second chart shows post-graduation tax revenues associated with international students in 2016/17 amounted to £3.2 billion and in an environment where non EU students have difficulty staying after graduation. After Brexit even EU students will not be made to feel welcome.

That is just a snapshot of one element of the UK's trade in Services that are impacted by both Labours Brexit policy outcome (which currently is non-existent) and domestic policy. Then a domestic nationalisation policy that has a Labour Government writing cheques with no regard at all for where the money comes from. That is not exactly a surprise.

The only arena where they can claim it comes at no cost to the Government is where they transfer the cost to the private sector, be it individuals, associations or corporate entities.

That involves things like siezing their assets with no compensation.

That can be in the form nationalising education as per this policy adopted yesterday or simply mandating existing policies such as their employee shareholding scheme where the equity and dividends of existing shareholders is diluted overnight. 

Corbyn doesn't seem to understand even Russia has been walking away from this policy approach for over two decades.

A Corbyn led Labour Govt is a pox and so too an uncontrolled Brexit. Question is which is worse, or worse still, ending up with both.

IMG_20190923_181132.jpg

chartoftheday_17438_post_graduation_tax_revenues_in_the_uk_n.png

BJ own words;

Overall, Johnson argued, the EU did not seem particularly dogmatic over what kind of deal emerged, so long as one could be reached.

“What I’m finding is so interesting is I think that our friends and partners, provided we get the right deal, are not actually interested in that outcome,” he said. “I think that they will be happy for us to have a relationship of equals, working together to build a new partnership.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/23/boris-johnson-plays-down-chance-of-brexit-breakthrough-at-un

Really, finally you got it ? After all those years bashing the EU... you find it "so interesting".
So stop being dogmatic too, and a deal can be made... or could have been made years ago...

Will be interesting to see were all parties stand after their conferences.

40 minutes ago, LeoV said:

BJ own words;

Overall, Johnson argued, the EU did not seem particularly dogmatic over what kind of deal emerged, so long as one could be reached.

“What I’m finding is so interesting is I think that our friends and partners, provided we get the right deal, are not actually interested in that outcome,” he said. “I think that they will be happy for us to have a relationship of equals, working together to build a new partnership.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/23/boris-johnson-plays-down-chance-of-brexit-breakthrough-at-un

Really, finally you got it ? After all those years bashing the EU... you find it "so interesting".
So stop being dogmatic too, and a deal can be made... or could have been made years ago...

Will be interesting to see were all parties stand after their conferences.

Leo I haven't yet scrounged around for EU leaks but my bet is Brussels have already sent a memo out to all of the EU27 stating Boris's "non- papers" he presented last week are meaningless "fishing expedition" shit.

Their only motivation now is ensuring Boris doesn't get away with his narrative that the EU are to blame for No Deal. Junkers interview with Sophie Ridge yesterday is a case in point.

Yes the outcome from the Tory piss up starting this Sunday will interesting.

Remembering Day 2 also coincides with a couple of states led by Macron as being Boris's drop dead date for submitting details on a Deal, otherwise they will not agree to an extension to A.50 beyond 31 October. 

That may well be a bluff but it puts pressure not on Teflon Boris, but a large group of spineless Tory MP's in Westminister who while a No Deal is their worst nightmare, have been backing him to date, but seen him not get a win in the HOC and is maybe shredded in the Supreme Court subject to their ruling due shortly and before they meet.

Compound that with the elderly Tory members at their annual piss up finding Boris has been dipping his wick at taxpayers expense is going to wear down even the most faithfull. Add to that a handfull of ex Tory PM's and the "sacked 21" rolling up to cover Boris in yet more shit.

Interesting times. Maybe he will Prorogue the Conference?

It is so weird inward looking from the UK press not tot grab this very telling remark of BJ.
Should be headlines and with more questions asked what he actually means.

BJ says EU is not to blame. Should be the headlines.
But nothing yet.

Other interesting read, instead of discussions with trolls :)
How to make Brexit work; 3 part about Brexit, last part about making Brexit work.

• Political consensus to develop in the UK around the meaning of Brexit,
  • An appropriate relationship with the EU to be negotiated, and
  • Trade politics in the rest of the world to fall favourably in its favour.

https://beergbrexit.blog/2019/09/23/brexit-and-wider-world/

First bullet; not after 3.5 years, and not for another couple of years...
For the EU Brexit has a side effect of strengthening the EU. So a couple of extensions is not to bad. But they can not drag it on to long.

Part 1 and 2;
https://beergbrexit.blog/2019/09/10/can-brexit-be-made-work/
https://beergbrexit.blog/2019/09/17/brexit-dealing-with-eu/

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

Don’t flatter yourself there mate, I’d have zero desire to associate with a Nancy like you in meatspace and I guarantee you that I eat and shit more adventure before breakfast than girls like you achieve in a lifetime.

Now run along and shove that silver spoon your pappy gave you up your hole.

OK I look forward then to watching that documentary of your attempt to climb Mt Everest nude.

7 minutes ago, LeoV said:

It is so weird inward looking from the UK press not tot grab this very telling remark of BJ.
Should be headlines and with more questions asked what he actually means.

BJ says EU is not to blame. Should be the headlines.
But nothing yet.

Leo where/when did he say that?

8 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Other interesting read, instead of discussions with trolls :)
How to make Brexit work; 3 part about Brexit, last part about making Brexit work.

Excellent read.

9 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Leo where/when did he say that?

Interpolation of his words EU is not dogmatic.

15 hours ago, mad said:

Watch this first, it may well have been covered in the documentary. 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/channel-4-tories-at-war-documentary-1-6283023

I see that Tories At War airs on Channel 4 on Sunday night, day one of their convention. 

Interesting how for the last 9 months we have seen the ERG Spartans at work unfold day by day and we are probably immune to it now.

However to see it condensed into a short documentary might prove quite chilling for all, particularly those at that Tory piss up.