Meat Wad

Brexit, WTF

4 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

lots of scaremongering but the WTO boss said trade will continue, it wont come to a grinding halt on day one, then stuff has to be worked out.
Too much cut your nose off to spite your face stuff will hurt everyone EU wide

Trade will go on, slower and more expensive, just in logistics reasons alone. Custom rules bites.
Example; farmers brings his tomatoes to action, exporter buys them, send them to their warehouse, split the tomatoes up in a smaller batches, load this smaller batch on a pallet with other ordered batches of onions, pears etc bought in multiple countries of the EU , slap 2 tickets on it, 1 saying it is from the EU and what it is, a mixed veggie pallet, and 2 were it goes too, to the UK. Done.
Lorry picks it up and drives it to a supermarket or 3 or 4 in Norwich, of load, guys happy.

Now without being in the Customs union.
It is not allowed any more to send pallets with mixed veggies, they all must be separated. For all different countries there mus be a separate ticket. And there need at least 5 more tickets applied to every batch, do your research or believe on my word. To find out witch tax applies and were the stuff comes from.
Then you have to file for an export license  before entering the UK.

So you have the farmer going to action, exporter buys it, put only tomatoes on a pallet, and another pallet with onions, and another with pears. Attach all your paperwork on it, ask for export license by computer system, order a EU driver to pick up the cargo, send it to the port, do the paperwork at customs, park the trailer.
Ferry trailer picks it up, sets on RORO. It arrives in Ramsgate, customs have to clear the paperwork, and maybe even check one out of 1000 trailers. Will be send to a new company sorting out all products and mix it like the way the Dutch it did in the past, and send UK lorries on the road to different parts. OR send the lorry direct with half empty pallets of products to the supermarkets directly. (less efficient, will happen the first months).

Yeah the red lines discussion, you must have heard that before.

Euro MEP and ambassadors opinion this week

“I was in Brussels last week and no one can understand what has happened to Britain,” said one. “It’s a country looked up to and respected for its ability to find a compromise, to be the one in the meeting with a calm analysis and a gift for finding solutions to problems. It is the country to which people turn for answers.

“But this no longer seems to be about details, the length of the backstop drafts or texts, but about ideology. It is very deep, passionate and irrational.”

One ambassador admitted succumbing to despair after watching hours of the parliamentary debate, saying: “There is a lot of Churchillian rhetoric, but no Churchill.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/18/shocked-diplomats-suggest-eu-would-extend-brexit-deadline

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Trade will go on, slower and more expensive, just in logistics reasons alone. Custom rules bites.
Example; farmers brings his tomatoes to action, exporter buys them, send them to their warehouse, split the tomatoes up in a smaller batches, load this smaller batch on a pallet with other ordered batches of onions, pears etc bought in multiple countries of the EU , slap 2 tickets on it, 1 saying it is from the EU and what it is, a mixed veggie pallet, and 2 were it goes too, to the UK. Done.
Lorry picks it up and drives it to a supermarket or 3 or 4 in Norwich, of load, guys happy.

Now without being in the Customs union.
It is not allowed any more to send pallets with mixed veggies, they all must be separated. For all different countries there mus be a separate ticket. And there need at least 5 more tickets applied to every batch, do your research or believe on my word. To find out witch tax applies and were the stuff comes from.
Then you have to file for an export license  before entering the UK.

So you have the farmer going to action, exporter buys it, put only tomatoes on a pallet, and another pallet with onions, and another with pears. Attach all your paperwork on it, ask for export license by computer system, order a EU driver to pick up the cargo, send it to the port, do the paperwork at customs, park the trailer.
Ferry trailer picks it up, sets on RORO. It arrives in Ramsgate, customs have to clear the paperwork, and maybe even check one out of 1000 trailers. Will be send to a new company sorting out all products and mix it like the way the Dutch it did in the past, and send UK lorries on the road to different parts. OR send the lorry direct with half empty pallets of products to the supermarkets directly. (less efficient, will happen the first months).

think of the jobs that will create, lol
Use the Greek ports like the Chinese do and give the EU 2 fingers...

Good brief explanation;
For all of this is the afterlife of dead things. One of them is Brexit itself. When did Brextinction occur? On 24 June 2016. The project was driven by decades of camped-up mendacity about the tyranny of the EU, and sold in the referendum as a fantasy of national liberation. It simply could not survive contact with reality. It died the moment it became real. You cannot free yourself from imaginary oppression. Even if May were a political genius – and let us concede that she is not – Brexit was always going to come down to a choice between two evils: the heroic but catastrophic failure of crashing out; or the unheroic but less damaging failure of swapping first-class for second-class EU membership.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/europe-brexit-britain-state-politics-fit-for-purpose

• Like 3

Just now, Sailabout said:

Use the Greek ports like the Chinese do and give the EU 2 fingers... 

Your so simplistic, i suggest you to put those 2 fingers somewhere else.

Use them reading a book that will tickle your brain.

3 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Good brief explanation;
For all of this is the afterlife of dead things. One of them is Brexit itself. When did Brextinction occur? On 24 June 2016. The project was driven by decades of camped-up mendacity about the tyranny of the EU, and sold in the referendum as a fantasy of national liberation. It simply could not survive contact with reality. It died the moment it became real. You cannot free yourself from imaginary oppression. Even if May were a political genius – and let us concede that she is not – Brexit was always going to come down to a choice between two evils: the heroic but catastrophic failure of crashing out; or the unheroic but less damaging failure of swapping first-class for second-class EU membership.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/europe-brexit-britain-state-politics-fit-for-purpose

maybe but I think the Good Friday agreement made any agreement not brexit hence where we are today, so where was the gov opposition pointing out the obvious unless they wanted to leave as well?

3 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

maybe but I think the Good Friday agreement made any agreement not brexit hence where we are today

Yes, that was a problem all politicians new as all were in politics when that deal got signed.
They should have been honest about it in the referendum, specially the Tory party is to blame to ignore the NI people.
It should have stated in the nice leaflets they send out, yes we can have a Brexit, but for a real Brexit we will have to exclude NI.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Yes, that was a problem all politicians new as all were in politics when that deal got signed.
They should have been honest about it in the referendum, specially the Tory party is to blame to ignore the NI people.
It should have stated in the nice leaflets they send out, yes we can have a Brexit, but for a real Brexit we will have to exclude NI.

very true but how in the hell didnt the remoaners flag this as its an irrefutable major issue as they floated down the Thames on a barge sipping 12 year old Dom..

like I said way back both sides presented weak cases.

52 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

lots of scaremongering but the WTO boss said trade will continue, it wont come to a grinding halt on day one, then stuff has to be worked out.
Too much cut your nose off to spite your face stuff will hurt everyone EU wide

Irish give up their biggest beef importer, Germans their biggest car importer?

Sail all I can think is you have stumbled across Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling stash of crack. To make it simple for you then.

but the WTO boss said trade will continue, it wont come to a grinding halt on day one, then stuff has to be worked out.

Please provide evidence of that WTO boss quote saying trade will continue unimpeded (and under what terms) where he said it won't come to a grinding halt at the end of March with a No Deal Brexit?

Irish give up their biggest beef importer, 

Please provide the mechanics of how a truck load of Irish EU beef makes it into the UK either via Northern Ireland or direct at the end of March with a Brexit No Deal?

This article may provide you with some guidance.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-beef-exports-will-require-eu-supports-post-brexit-agri-economist/

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sail all I can think is you have stumbled across Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling stash of crack. To make it simple for you then.

Please provide evidence of that WTO boss quote saying trade will continue unimpeded (and under what terms) where he said it won't come to a grinding halt at the end of March with a No Deal Brexit?

Please provide the mechanics of how a truck load of Irish EU beef makes it into the UK either via Northern Ireland or direct at the end of March with a Brexit No Deal?

This article may provide you with some guidance.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-beef-exports-will-require-eu-supports-post-brexit-agri-economist/

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-will-not-cause-uk-trade-disruption-wto-boss-10632803

so the answer is it will all be the same as it was on the 28th according to the WTO

9 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

very true but how in the hell didnt the remoaners flag this as its an irrefutable major issue as they floated down the Thames on a barge sipping 12 year old Dom..

Overshouted by simplistic shouting from the other side, it was brought up.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I thought so. He said nothing of the fucking sort. And you forgot your truck load of Irish EU Beef.

I give up.

which part of the words, "trade will go on without disruption" couldnt you understand?

OK Jack the UK will starve and run out of German cars, all burgers will be lamb instead of beef, that should make you happy because the EU dont want any country to export anything to the UK as they learnt on Sailing Anarchy they cant?

10 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

which part of the words, "trade will go on without disruption" couldnt you understand?

his words,
2015 bumpy

2016, not bumpy

2017, bumpy https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-wto/wto-chief-says-hes-been-consistent-on-brexit-itll-be-a-bumpy-road-idUSKBN1DR2GH

2018, not a walk in the park https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/no-deal-brexit-uk-trading-wto-under-wto-rules-not-realistic-roberto-azevedo-a8505946.html

2018 report; https://www.wto.org/english/news_e/news18_e/mark_11oct18_e.htm

Rectifications and modifications of Schedule XIX – United Kingdom

Members acknowledged the difficulty of the Brexit process and called for a mutually acceptable solution that is as close as possible to WTO rules. The lack of compensatory adjustment and the fact that the UK was copying an uncertified EU-28 schedule, which may contain errors, was a concern expressed by delegations.

Members also shared concerns over the approach proposed for determining post-Brexit goods trade commitments as, in their view, they could result in substantial reductions in market access commitments, especially with regards to TRQs, as well as the UK's large farm subsidy claim. Moreover, they went on, the UK proposal does not identify how the EU would be treated in the UK's market access commitments. In the view of these members, these are matters of general and systemic concern, and Brexit should not result in a loss of market access that was established through previously negotiated outcomes.

The European Union took the floor to indicate that it was not in a positon to respond to questions on the UK's proposed goods schedule, which will take effect when the EU's schedule stops applying to the UK.  It also invited members having expressed concerns to engage directly with the UK government. 

16 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

I understand perfectly what he said in that interview dated October 2016. Please tell me you have a current day quote from Mr Roberto Azevedo (a Brazilian) the still current WTO DG to support your claim?

Plus what about that truckload of Irish EU beef of yours come the end of March with No Deal? Please don't say it will be broken down into small packages and smuggled across the border in old ladies handbags?

Fuck me.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I understand perfectly what he said in that interview dated October 2016. Please tell me you have a current day quote from Mr Roberto Azevedo (a Brazilian) the still current WTO DG to support your claim?

Plus what about that truckload of Irish EU beef of yours come the end of March with No Deal? Please don't say it will be broken down into small packages and smuggled accross the border in old ladies handbags.

Your saying it wont get in, my view is it will

did Canada USA and Mexico come to grinding halt when trump cancelled NAFTA, no last minute it got renegotiated, maybe there is a parallel there

1 minute ago, Sailabout said:

did Canada USA and Mexico come to grinding halt when trump cancelled NAFTA?

If it didn't cause issues, they wouldn't want to renegotiate.

4 minutes ago, rgeek said:

If it didn't cause issues, they wouldn't want to renegotiate.

agreed, everyone wants to trade except Jack, its just a deal of some sorts away when both sides will be losers so they will want to deal

No I asked for evidence of your quote. Nothing more. So just your view now, not Mr Roberto Azevedo current WTO DG. Was he assassinated by a Remainer?

did Canada USA and Mexico come to grinding halt when trump cancelled NAFTA?

I think that is only because the US is hooked on Tortillas, Cocaine and Maple Syrup.

Please don't forget your truck of Irish EU beef.

Irish beef industry sees a catastrophe in no-deal Brexit

15-Jan-2019 By Diana Yordanova

As the British House of Commons prepares to vote on the European Union (EU) withdrawal agreement negotiated by UK Prime Minister Theresa May, the Irish beef sector has been warning that a no-deal Brexit would cause chaos and dramatically undermine Ireland’s beef exports.

https://www.globalmeatnews.com/Article/2019/01/15/No-deal-Brexit-to-undermine-Irish-beef-exports

• Like 1

But beef smuggling by illegal immigrants could be a new market... there will be no border....

• Like 2

Just now, LeoV said:

But beef smuggling by illegal immigrants could be a new market... there will be no border....

beef smuggling in Ireland has a long history...

agreed, everyone wants to trade except Jack, its just a deal away

I'm sure it can be worked out but you're going to have to offer more.

beef smuggling in Ireland has a long history...

Where did they smuggle it to? Into a Vegan Healthfarm in Shropshire?

2 minutes ago, rgeek said:

are you speaking from the UK point of view or EU

or should we fix it all here on SA and then tell both sides how to solve it?

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

between the 2 Irelands to claim benefits/rebates, easy job if the border goes through your farm, same for tax free fuel and lots of other items

been going on for a very long time, here is a recent headline

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/huge-cattle-smuggling-racket-hit-26235826.html

old news

http://www.irishborderlands.com/living/smuggling/index.html

6 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

or should we fix it all here on SA and then tell both sides how to solve it?

It appears someone is going to have to.

34 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

so the answer is it will all be the same as it was on the 28th according to the WTO

Sail,  can you do me a favour:  1st) Look up stockpiling in the UK now.... and please have a good look, 2nd) When you have done that, explain to me that when everything will be looking so rosy after the 29th, according to you, why do manufacturing businesses and health authorities, spend huge amounts of money, filling  (yes, chock a blocking) UK warehouses with European stuff at the moment.  

I'm clearly missing something here.

21 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

been going on for a very long time, here is a recent headline

Here is a more recent headline

IRISH TIMES 1 April 2019

"It's Just Me Fookin Pork Pie"

A Mr Pat McGroin was taken into custody at the border of the Republic and Nth Ireland today after saying all he had to declare to Customs and Bio Security was a half eaten Pork Pie and some nuts. 

images (13).jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sailabout said:

agreed, everyone wants to trade except Jack,  its just a deal of some sorts away

39 minutes ago, rgeek said:

Offer more. I fuckin hope so. Reading Sails posts are currently ranking higher than a Netflix binge.

35 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Sail,  can you do me a favour:  1st) Look up stockpiling in the UK now...

I'm clearly missing something here.

Laser you're head is attached. You are safe.

48 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think he's confusing the scots and Irish.

13 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) on Brexit, "Never mind."

Actually revoking the article and having a general election might be a reasonable step.

No point in a general election as a show of how the people feel. Corbyn isn’t saying anything different from May, he’s anti Brexit as well. 

13 hours ago, hoppy said:

I'm starting to think that the British couldn't even organise a root in an EU brothel. No wonder British lad wander the streets of Amsterdam drunk, not enough Dutch courage.

Is May legally bound to going through with the brexit?

If not, she should call off the brexit and then go to an election. If she needs a vote in Parliament, table a bill that cans brexit and calls an election. Crew another referendum, because people will vote stay.

One mistake the Tory's made was to not make the Brexit planning and EU negotiation free of party politics with brexit believing representatives from all parties and industry representing British interests. If the best they could negotiate is the current deal, then no one is tared by the bad deal other than the Brexiteers 

WTF is to be gained by an election? 

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

FFI

Someone needs a punch in the guts.

Boot in the nuts more like. 

9 minutes ago, rgeek said:

I think he's confusing the scots and Irish.

Understandable. My best guess is he is drawing upon his experience as a dentist in San Diego having an Irish sounding name? 

1 hour ago, Sailabout said:

did Canada USA and Mexico come to grinding halt when trump cancelled NAFTA, no last minute it got renegotiated, maybe there is a parallel there

38 minutes ago, mad said:

WTF is to be gained by an election

Mad I really wish you hadn't asked Hoppy that question. I've run out of Quaaludes to prepare for his answer :-)

1 hour ago, Sailabout said:

Trump did not "cancel" NAFTA until after a new deal was negotiated and agreed (but not yet ratified), NAFTA is still enforce.

11 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fah you're probably think I'm into humping each other's leg repeating this, but it seems The Times might be reading this thread for inspiration. I would linky it but pay walled.

In essence The Times go one step further about this logjam and MP's forming into too many groups and coming up with too many different things under the current Westminster system of respecting individual representation, not in the past acting like sheep controlled by the party.

They do this by naming and shaming MP's who firstly are not debating but providing wooden speeches with short soundbites to put on their electoral social media accounts. They identified former Brexit Secretary David Davis and Tory MP Bernard Jenkins queued up outside on the lawn for the TV cameras to parade their denial of a no deal Brexit doing any damage, simply to extend their personal brands.

Secondly the opposite being MP's who have complained about being vote fodder at the behest of whips in the past, now rising to the occasion to take on responsibilty their party leaders won't through paralysis or obstinance. Labours Yvette Cooper once dull as as a doormat is now a ministerial interrogator reducing the illinformed to silence. Hilary Benn and Tories Dominic Ben grey people of the past are now forcefull speakers. These are the ones who are abrest the complications from fish packing to car parts.

Finally a list of MP's who are not even across the most basic facts you can get from Wikipedia, but put gobblygook into the public arena including their constituency.

For instance Dan Henman of Vote Leave saying nobody is talking about threatening the UK's current place in a single market and like Boris Johnson saying he would vote to stay in that market? Similarly Owen Paterson championing Leave for the referendum now says we can participate in a single market without being saddled with the EU? Davis the former Brexit Secretary saying with no deal the UK could negotiate trade agreements during the 21 months transition? Stunning idiocy when when there is no transition period without a deal. Nadine Dorries another prominent Leaver rejecting May's deal on the grounds it leaves the UK with no voice or votes in the EU Parliament? What did she fucking think leaving meant?

Raab admitting he didn't know much trade went through Dover and Calais? Bridgeman saying Brits would have rights to a Irish passport? That was a good one but maybe the best is reserved for Transport Secretary Chris Grayling having no idea that with no deal, UK road hauliers would have no right to drive through Europe?

These are people wanting the UK and their constituents to take them seriously. Fuck me dead.

Maybe I was wrong about the leaders keel-hauling a few rebels to get the message through about party unity. Maybe leaders included they should all be keel-hauled and then we only have to listen to those who can hold their breath the longest?

Second thoughts can that idea. Rees Mogg who can talk underwater would end up as PM.

You should get a job doing this Jack, a very succinct and accurate description of the current situation. 

4 hours ago, Laser1 said:

I realize it is old news but still baffled by the below and sort of ties in with the above comments.

What I cannot get my head round is that certain areas in the UK relied and benefited big time from EU cash back injections.  Most if not all public construction works, buildings, roads, universities and so on with big bill boards saying 'Only made possible by investment grants from EU', flags flying, etc. were realized with cash from the EU. That money was allocated by the EU to develop poorer regions ..... Not Westminster.

My neck of the woods in UK https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-second-poorest-region-northern-617199

Cornwall voted out and the numpties think that the Westminster cavalry will come over the hill with a cart load of dosh..... really?? are they blind, deaf & retarded?

The EU allocates the funds to each European nation to support sustainable economic development and reduce regional wealth disparities - it’s their way of trying to give a boost to the poorest parts of the continent.

But Steve Double, the Brexit-supporting MP for St Austell and Newquay, has previously joined two other Cornwall MPs in insisting that their constituents wouldn't lose out. "The UK will be able to use the money we currently send to the EU each year to cover any funding withdrawn by the EU," Mr Double said.

Hmmm .... I thought that was going to the NHS.

It’s lunacy beyond belief.  

5 hours ago, cms said:

You may enjoy laughing at the attached letter from the RMT union to Brittany Ferries. BF employ 100% French crew whereas P&O, Irish Ferries DFDS etc employ people on low wages from other countries. All BF ships are French registered unlike the others. The only UK personnel on a BF ship are sometimes the pianist, the magician and the singers ...

RMT letter to BF.pdf

The level of ignorance is fucking astounding! 

4 hours ago, hump101 said:

Sorry about the downvote above, Mad. Was using my wife's Ipad without my reading glasses and poked the wrong icon.......

Don’t worry about it, I don’t pay any attention to them. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

You should get a job doing this Jack, a very succinct and accurate description of the current situation

Mate that is very generous of you.

However I must give credit to the seed of my train of thought to @Fah Kiew Tuwho reminded me of the modern Westminster system that a MP's responsibility to their electorate ranked first above party politics. That was in response to my suggestion that a few MP's like some from the Rees Mogg 100 being keel-hauled to restore party unity is what was needed. 

That then led me to the thought that MP's were being given the luxury of forming into too many groups, particularly the Tories and all coming up with too many different answers, both Leave and Remain. It was this in my mind that is causing this modern Westminster system of respecting individual representation to in fact have Westminster shit itself, and as we see today.

The next step of putting some MP's names to both idiocy and some unknowns stepping up and assuming responsibilty that their party leaders can't through either paralysis or obstinance was easy. 

I'm only a distant commentator who while  getting his #1 passport torched by Brexit, Mad you live it and wake up to it every day. That would drive me to drink.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6604933/Whitehall-alert-General-Election-civil-servants-draw-contingency-snap-poll.html

Oh no, not again! Whitehall bosses are put on alert for ANOTHER General Election as they order civil servants to draw up contingency plans for Brexit deadlock snap poll

Probably the best thing for the Conservatives. Even if you're a Granny who drove around in a fucking blue Morris Minor with a figurine of Winston bouncing off the rear vision mirror at the last election handing out how to vote cards. They are best voting Labour in with a landslide notwithstanding that nutter Corbyn, if only to restore stability to the country.

That then gives the Tories time to fix their own catastrofuck while in opposition and having no direct Brexit or otherwise responsibilty. 

Afterall how much can Labour really fuck up in one term?

Dutch PM Rutte just on tellie, May called, they talked, she does not want a no deal Brexit, they talked possible solutions, but margins in UK parliament are thin to make a deal. Prepare for the worst.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeoV said:

Dutch PM Rutte just on tellie, May called, they talked, she does not want a no deal Brexit, they talked possible solutions, but margins in UK parliament are thin to make a deal. Prepare for the worst.

Depressingly, I don't think there's even any shared view on what "the worst" might be... for some it is no deal, for others, anything other than no deal, and another group, anything but remain... and so on.

Broken... decades of intra-party conflict metastising across the nations.

W.

• Like 1

We have a government that can’t govern and an opposition that can barely oppose. In 38 years as a Westminster journalist, I can’t recall a time when both main party leaderships performed so badly at the same time. Normally, there’s a see-saw effect; one side benefits from the misfortunes of the other. Now it’s stuck in the middle.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-backbench-mps-control-government-theresa-may-amendments-tory-labour-leaders-a8734346.html

Everyone forgets about the Queen. While never reverted to in modern times beyond her receipt of advisory decision making, there is a stick there to belt some Westminster heads with if she was so inclined.

40 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Another Guy at his best

Amusing to listen to a Belgian talk rationally about political division but maybe reflecting on the French / Flemish issues that led to insanities like the dismembering the University of Leuven / Louvain may give a wiser perspective and more empathy for the challenges of Brexit.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Well at least the "disappointed' in the US have a crack at a "cure all" at the next Presidential election in November next year. These Brexit clowns going uncontested may well be putting in place a irreversible catastrofuck lasting generations.

The CF has been happening to Europe for a while. Unwinding the mess will be ugly 

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A question I ask myself frequently WRT Australian politics.....

Sorry, got the cat wars to continue in PA ATM....

FKT

8 hours ago, mad said:

WTF is to be gained by an election? 

If May canned Brexit, there will be so much bitching in Parliament from the Brexiteers and opportunistic politicking by Labour that your government would look like, dare I say, Australia's. On top of that there will be protests on the street by the remaining Brexit supporters. 

By calling an election, May can draw a line in the sand and the next Government can relatively speaking, put Brexit behind them. If the Tory's want a chance of staying in power, then the Brexiteers would have to shut up and let May play the "Tried her best to get a deal from Europe and did the best thing by Britain by cancelling Brexit" card. 

The question is, will the Tory Brexiteers rather stay in power or give power to Labour?

The election would become a pseudo referendum. Vote for a party supporting Bremain or vote for Brexit parties and independents.  

7 hours ago, LeoV said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6604933/Whitehall-alert-General-Election-civil-servants-draw-contingency-snap-poll.html

Oh no, not again! Whitehall bosses are put on alert for ANOTHER General Election as they order civil servants to draw up contingency plans for Brexit deadlock snap poll

As it’s the Daily Mail, it doesn’t rate high normally.. but somehow I can believe it. 

Living proof you don’t need to invade a country, you can just sew propaganda and have political fuck around games instead. 

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Probably the best thing for the Conservatives. Even if you're a Granny who drove around in a fucking blue Morris Minor with a figurine of Winston bouncing off the rear vision mirror at the last election handing out how to vote cards. They are best voting Labour in with a landslide notwithstanding that nutter Corbyn, if only to restore stability to the country.

That then gives the Tories time to fix their own catastrofuck while in opposition and having no direct Brexit or otherwise responsibilty. 

corbyn doesn’t want to win this in anyway, shape or form. He’s hasn’t any ideas or the balls to actually say anything and make a stand, he’s more than happy to just watch May fail, at what ever cost to the country. That way he will always be seen as winner. The Labour Party need a new leader, they do that with an anti Brexit stance and they’ll win. 

Anything else is a complete waste of time.  

If we dissolve parliament would that stop or pause article 50? We can just carry on without a government. 

7 hours ago, LeoV said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/why-a-uk-general-election-is-more-likely-than-you-think/

MPs that have war-gamed the next few phases of the Brexit drama believe that the government is now penned in, unable to move in any direction without stumbling over a trip-wire that triggers a general election.

So 2 years on and we haven’t agreed on what we want to agree on and we haven’t really had any negotiation with the people we need to negotiate with. 

YCMTSU!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hoppy said:

If May canned Brexit, there will be so much bitching in Parliament from the Brexiteers and opportunisticrexiteers and opportunistic politicking by Labour that your government would look like, dare I say, Australia's. On top of that there will be protests on the street by the remaining Brexit supporters. 

By calling an election, May can draw a line in the sand and the next Government can relatively speaking, put Brexit behind them. If the Tory's want a chance of staying in power, then the Brexiteers would have to shut up and let May play the "Tried her best to get a deal from Europe and did the best thing by Britain by cancelling Brexit" card. ....

Hoppy first of all May can't unilaterally stop Brexit, only the Parliament can do that. The existing parliament or a new parliament can't even extend the Brexit date unilaterally. This issue is also not being fought along party lines as you are saying.

To help you understand why here is some background.

Remain or Leave EU Referendum 2016.

The people's vote to leave was 52/48% and unlike normal referendums binds the Government to prosecute the result. This result caught everyone by surprise. Generally older people and those in less prosperous areas of the UK voted to leave. There is no real evidence to suggest this has changed, though many Remainers believe so via more awareness about the ramifications of leaving. However that same argument could apply to Leavers about remaining. 

Political Party Positions. 

At the time of the referendum and now the majority of all parties want to Remain. It is a generalisation but for the two major parties that collected 80% of the vote at the last election, the Remainers constitute at least 70% of the party room. So in essence there is a pro Remain parliament pretending to follow the will of the people who want to leave.

This issue has always and still is being contested outside party lines. This respect of individual members and their electrorates is different to the days when MP's were just sheep that followed the party line.

Prime Minister's & Govt Hold on Position

Having survived a No Confidence Vote last month, under party rules May's position is safe for 12 months or this coming December. She has stated she is not standing at the next election.

While the Government's/May Brexit deal was voted down 230 against on Tuesday, the Government survived a subsequent no confidence vote.

What is Brexit? 

On 29 March 2017, the UK as member of the EU invoked Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (TEU) which begins a member state's withdrawal from the EU and two years later cease being a member of the EU or on 30 March 2019. 

Can the UK Cancel Article 50? 

A majority decision of Parliament/House of Commons (not May and not the Government) could cancel Brexit and remain in the EU under current terms. Ordinarily this would involve agreement of all 27 member states of the EU. However the European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can cancel Brexit in advance of 30 March without the permission of the other member states. 

Can the UK Extend Article 50?  

A  majority decision of both houses Parliament cannot extend Brexit. Article 50 states that the UK cannot unilaterally extend the two-year negotiation period. Nor can it “demand” an extension. It can only “ask for” one. The request would then be considered by the European Council, and an extension can only be granted with the unanimous agreement of the remaining 27 member states. Even if all member states could be persuaded, there are difficulties with any extension which runs beyond European Parliaments elections in May. 

Does an Election & New Government Change the Above? 

No.

Brexit Date and Decision Making Timing

No later than 30 March, preferably ASAP for Parliament to agree to a Brexit Deal either Hard or Soft. The default is a No Deal Brexit.

For a newly elected government to be put in place prior to 30 March 2019 with a General Election the result of a no confidence motion (requiring some Tories to join with Labour), that election cannot be held until 14 days after the motion passed plus 25 days after parliament dissolves. Therefore the cuttoff for that vote of no confidence is the end of January or just 12 days away.

A 2nd Referendum would require an extension to the Article 50 date. See above. It would no doubt provide grounds to the EU states to unilaterally agree to an extension up until no later than the EU elections in May. However if the original referendum results remain largely unchanged, it would prove a very destabilising thing for the country. If the referendum was framed on Leave with Deal or Remain, the Leavers would say it is a defacto vote to Remain.

Interestingly this is called the People's Vote, suggesting only robots voted in 2016.

Hoppy the above facts may help you better frame your viewpoints.

1/3

This Australia Day advert by Aust meat and livestock industry actually is very Brexit with its 'migration' and 'original' citizens theme. It also drives vegans batshit crazy.

For the illinformed Australia Day is on 26 January, which marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British ships at Port Jackson/Sydney and full of English rif raf. If you are confused with the French ship that was La Perouse who landed around the same time but didn't colonise as Cook had layed claim on behalf of the Crown 18 years prior. The day is controversial as many in the aboriginal community call it Invasion Day and want the date shifted.

Anyway any you Poms partial to Australian Lamb you won't be getting any this month. Might be good practise for you for after 30 March :-)

18 hours ago, Sailabout said:

They did. A large proportion of the population wasn't for listening to the 'experts' or factual debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Hoppy first of all May can't unilaterally stop Brexit, only the Parliament can do that. The existing parliament or a new parliament can't even extend the Brexit date unilaterally. This issue is also not being fought along party lines as you are saying.

To help you understand why here is some background.

Remain or Leave EU Referendum 2016.

The people's vote to leave was 52/48% and unlike normal referendums binds the Government to prosecute the result. This result caught everyone by surprise. Generally older people and those in less prosperous areas of the UK voted to leave. There is no real evidence to suggest this has changed, though many Remainers believe so via more awareness about the ramifications of leaving. However that same argument could apply to Leavers about remaining. 

Wrong, the European Union Referendum Act 2015  required a referendum to be held on the question of the UK's continued membership of the European Union before the end of 2017. The bill did not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented.  

Only 72% of eligible voters participated in the referendum and given the nature of the issue and that poles were suggesting the remain to win, it is likely that more remain people did not vote than leave. In the Brexit heartlands, not much has probably changed, but there will be many undecided who went for the Brexit greener pastures promise and who will have regretted their decision after seeing what's on offer. Polls suggest that Brexit has lost a lot of support and there will likely be a swing of much more than 2% needed to change the result. 

Political Party Positions. 

At the time of the referendum and now the majority of all parties want to Remain. It is a generalisation but for the two major parties that collected 80% of the vote at the last election, the Remainers constitute at least 70% of the party room. So in essence there is a pro Remain parliament pretending to follow the will of the people who want to leave.

This issue has always and still is being contested outside party lines. This respect of individual members and their electrorates is different to the days when MP's were just sheep that followed the party line.

Prime Minister's & Govt Hold on Position

Having survived a No Confidence Vote last month, under party rules May's position is safe for 12 months or this coming December. She has stated she is not standing at the next election.

She is a politician, her word is dirt. However, what I propose still stands other than the Torys would need a new leader for the election

While the Government's/May Brexit deal was voted down 230 against on Tuesday, the Government survived a subsequent no confidence vote.

What is Brexit? 

On 29 March 2017, the UK as member of the EU invoked Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union (TEU) which begins a member state's withdrawal from the EU and two years later cease being a member of the EU or on 30 March 2019. 

Can the UK Cancel Article 50? 

A majority decision of Parliament/House of Commons (not May and not the Government) could cancel Brexit and remain in the EU under current terms. Ordinarily this would involve agreement of all 27 member states of the EU. However the European Court of Justice has ruled the UK can cancel Brexit in advance of 30 March without the permission of the other member states. 

Then as I mentioned earlier, May can table a bill to can the Brexit. If it gets voted down, shit happens. 

Can the UK Extend Article 50?  

A  majority decision of both houses Parliament cannot extend Brexit. Article 50 states that the UK cannot unilaterally extend the two-year negotiation period. Nor can it “demand” an extension. It can only “ask for” one. The request would then be considered by the European Council, and an extension can only be granted with the unanimous agreement of the remaining 27 member states. Even if all member states could be persuaded, there are difficulties with any extension which runs beyond European Parliaments elections in May. 

Does an Election & New Government Change the Above? 

No.

correct. I am suggesting that a new election could help put cancelling the Brexit behind 

Brexit Date and Decision Making Timing

No later than 30 March, preferably ASAP for Parliament to agree to a Brexit Deal either Hard or Soft. The default is a No Deal Brexit.

For a newly elected government to be put in place prior to 30 March 2019 with a General Election the result of a no confidence motion (requiring some Tories to join with Labour), that election cannot be held until 14 days after the motion passed plus 25 days after parliament dissolves. Therefore the cuttoff for that vote of no confidence is the end of January or just 12 days away.

What I suggest is that the bill to cancel the Brexit is tabled and voted in time for the March 30th deadline. The no confidence vote and election would not be required before the 30th. 

A 2nd Referendum would require an extension to the Article 50 date. See above. It would no doubt provide grounds to the EU states to unilaterally agree to an extension up until no later than the EU elections in May. However if the original referendum results remain largely unchanged, it would prove a very destabilising thing for the country. If the referendum was framed on Leave with Deal or Remain, the Leavers would say it is a defacto vote to Remain.

Personally I think they should skip the referendum, but at least with the deal on the table, voters can make a more educated decision about Brexit or Bremain. 

Interestingly this is called the People's Vote, suggesting only robots voted in 2016.

Hoppy the above facts may help you better frame your viewpoints.

1/3

My view has not changed, but the processes required to do what I suggest is clearer.

34 minutes ago, hoppy said:

My view has not changed, but the processes required to do what I suggest is clearer.

Whatever.

2/3    ;-)

2 hours ago, rgeek said:

They did. A large proportion of the population wasn't for listening to the 'experts' or factual debate.

Well, the financial crash had demonstrated how much expertise the "experts" had, and both campaigns were obviously full of it. It wasn't evident that much *factual* debate was going on. To my mind one of the turning points was when the remain campaign announced that in the event of an out vote there would have to be an immediate emergency budget. That was obvious nonsense, everyone knew it was nonsense, and in the event of course it didn't happen. So the credibility of the stay campaign evaporated, especially with those old enough to compare the promises made at the previous referendum with what actually happened.

22 hours ago, Sailabout said:

3 hours ago, rgeek said:

Geek absolutely true and my reply here is simply to firstly put more meat on that already fine sandwich of yours and secondly for any pundit who thinks they can show strategic grounds to and or predict the outcome of a General Election and or a 2nd Referendum.

The easiest thing to say today is the Leaver referendum result was weighted in favour towards only three UK population brackets, the disenfranchised, the uneducated and older people. 

1. Disenfranchised. 

This you would bracket under economic and social discontent so then naturally expect Scotland, rust belt Northern England and  Wales to figure prominently in a Leave vote. So every large region of the country except Scotland, Northern Ireland and the odd man out London voted to Leave? In England, every major region outside of London voted to leave. The highest vote for leave was in the West Midlands with 59.11% opting for Brexit. In London, 59.94% voted to remain. In Wales leave voters were dominant with 18 of the 22 areas. Only three, the Vale of Glamorgan in the south, Monmouthshire in the south-east and Ceredigion in west Wales voted to remain. However what also drove that vote?

2. Age

Over-65s were more than twice as likely as under-25s to have voted to Leave. Every pundit I have read glibly says this is a demographic remembering the "good old days". Those pundits must be very young and or can't Google stats from the mid 70's when say a 65 year old today was pounding the pavement looking for a job. Pre Thatcher the country was fucked. Maybe those 65+ year olds now have now forgetten how they rejoiced when the UK joined the EU at that time so they could get a job? The immigration card I suspect had far greater weight behind their decision to leave 

3. Education

A more dramatic split was along the lines of education. 70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. Those with A levels and no degree were evenly split, 50% to 50%.

What made them vote this way?

So how did they vote like they did? The normal expectation with a vote of this kind is to think it is simply propgated by the Media and voters listening or otherwise to their local political representatives either encumbent MP's or aspirants on a borough by borough basis. That clearly didn't happen.

1. Media

This was not the case and irelevant. With very few exceptions the UK media leading up to the Referendum in 2016 were pushing the Remainer case.

2. Political

With variences you would expect in any election at a local level the major parties and some others all promoted a Remainer campaign.

Yet the vote cut right across party lines, with significant division within Britain's main political parties who capture around 80% in any election. Conservatives voted to Leave, 61% to 39%. Labour voters (65%) and Liberal Democrats (68%) largely voted for Remain but significant minorities went for Leave. Only the UKIP, where 95% voted for Leave, and the Greens, where 80% voted for Remain, avoided significant internal party divisions on the vote.

Conclusion

So to what I said at the outset taking the above in mind.

How can any pundit or political operative determine strategic grounds to and or predict the outcome of a General Election and or a 2nd Referendum? They are on drugs if they believe they can do so.

Polls indicate the 2016 Referendum result remains still much the same. Yet the above clearly shows by population it was the pissed off, a large slab of entitled and well off (who arguably are not effected either way). Then dumb cunts and old people with dementia or not liking the colour of their neighbours skin and coming from the pissed off category that delivered up the Leave result. No one else did.

Everyone is quick to critisise politicians who were hog tied and put on the Brexit Bus. But surely isn't it now time people started honestly looking at who actually put them on that bus and why? More importantly is the Brexit Bus really going to deliver what they are looking for regardless of who is driving it?

Stats reference.

https://www.google.com/amp/blog.webkid.io/brexit-maps-charts/amp/

images (16).jpeg

vote1b.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LeoV said:

Parliament doesn't want no-deal either and some at least see a route to stop or pause that. Quite an interesting piece on that prospect in this week's Spectator (which editorially would be cool with no-deal).

ERG has boxed themselves into an interesting corner where the only way they can eject May is to side with Labour in no-confidence and surely they won't do that. Rather oddly, it may turn out that the only way they could get what they want is by winning a 2nd referendum.

May's deal is however dead. She seems to be the only one who has not long since recognised that.

Around 80 MP are for a No deal, most of them CP.
So for May to make any deal work she risks splitting up the Tory party.
And those 80 just can wait as No Deal is the default.
Stalemate leading to No Deal, or risk a split party.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/house/house-magazine/101200/breaking-brexit-deadlock-tough-choices

Same is true for Labour, half of the labour voters wanted out, so a hard stance one way or the other will be risky for Corbyn.

25 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Around 80 MP are for a No deal, most of them CP.
So for May to make any deal work she risks splitting up the Tory party.
And those 80 just can wait as No Deal is the default.
Stalemate leading to No Deal, or risk a split party.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/house/house-magazine/101200/breaking-brexit-deadlock-tough-choices

Same is true for Labour, half of the labour voters wanted out, so a hard stance one way or the other will be risky for Corbyn.

Apparently we have a third party in the UK, we just can’t seem to find them anymore. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mad said:

Apparently we have a third party in the UK, we just can’t seem to find them anymore. 

Quite so. This is a source of grief to me. Vince Cable is not the leader they need at this time, not that an alternative comes to mind.

35 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Labour membership is however strongly remain. Corbyn, always Eurosceptic, was big on the "representing the membership" line until he came to disagree with them. I can't think of a time when leadership of both major parties has been simultaneously so woeful. 

• Like 2

Dogwatch, agree, typed to fast, one third leave, 2/3 remain. Sorry.

Mayor brouht up some good points,

Theresa May needs to become a mediator to help break the Brexit deadlock in Parliament, former prime minister John Major has said.

He wants MPs to be given a vote on all Brexit options, indicating their preference on the way forward.

Mrs May should consider dropping her red lines "in the national interest" and become a facilitator to find out what Parliament wants, he said.

Sir John said the prime minister had been "handed a poisoned chalice" and that things had been "extremely difficult" for her.

"Her position has been all but impossible," he said, adding that Parliament was "running out of time".

If Mrs May does not drop her red lines "in the national interest", then her options are either for the Cabinet or Parliament to decide or for there to be another referendum "now more facts are known than were known in 2016", Sir John argued.

He said while Cabinet is too split to reach an agreement, there is hope that Parliament could reach a consensus, with Mrs May as a mediator.

14 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Dogwatch, agree, typed to fast, one third leave, 2/3 remain. Sorry.

Leo that is Labour split is from time of referendum until last year. It is my understanding it is now more like 70/30 in favour of remain. The 2nd referendum noises within Labour also seem to support that.

I have not seen any recent Conservative numbers beyond last year of around 60/40 Leave.

1 hour ago, dogwatch said:

ERG has boxed themselves into an interesting corner where the only way they can eject May is to side with Labour in no-confidence and surely they won't do that. Rather oddly, it may turn out that the only way they could get what they want is by winning a 2nd referendum.

Or some remain Tories get fed by the party leashed by the ERG and side to the no-confidence.

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Everyone forgets about the Queen. While never reverted to in modern times beyond her receipt of advisory decision making, there is a stick there to belt some Westminster heads with if she was so inclined.

Not a chance.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

images (16).jpeg

Looks like people got confused by the question. They must have thought it said, "Are you doing alright?"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimC said:

Well, the financial crash had demonstrated how much expertise the "experts" had, and both campaigns were obviously full of it. It wasn't evident that much *factual* debate was going on. To my mind one of the turning points was when the remain campaign announced that in the event of an out vote there would have to be an immediate emergency budget. That was obvious nonsense, everyone knew it was nonsense, and in the event of course it didn't happen. So the credibility of the stay campaign evaporated, especially with those old enough to compare the promises made at the previous referendum with what actually happened.

Ah yeh, cos when you're kicked in the shin the natural reaction is to have your leg amputated at the knee with a blunt instrument.

1 hour ago, Mambo Kings said:

Not a chance.

OK ..what about driving as fast as she likes down M1 in a car with no license plate?