Meat Wad

Brexit, WTF

3 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

Well, I spent a lot of time in the Northern Territory back in the day and I’ve seen first hand  what cultural enrichment did for the native Australians. 

Yes.. the locals there in NT still remember fondly the cultural enrichment you provided.

images - 2019-07-11T150216.403.jpeg

images - 2019-07-11T150424.419.jpeg

This Govt Report comprising a couple of dozen papers titled How to prepare if the UK leaves the EU with no deal that was released in August last year (and updated since) appears to have been forgotten by the media as guidance for asking probing questions of the two PM candidates.

Their answers like the contents therein would be pretty mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

You’re from Ozz then?

Well, I spent a lot of time in the Northern Territory back in the day and I’ve seen first hand  what cultural enrichment did for the native Australians. The audacity of you to speak on the subject.

Yeah, one of my GF's came across mobs of drunken tourists from the UK when she was in Darwin for a holiday. Piss heads, aggressive and stupid.

FKT

Buried in No Deal Brexit preparation documentation that might interest some here is Maritime vessels and work at sea. Of the many sections and outside vessel itself is Hiring Crew for Vessels and Yachts. That includes checking crew qualifications, certificates of competency, crew agreements, travel documents and crew lists etc.

Probably biggest impact is Certificate of Competency (CoC) or Certificate of Equivalent Competency (CEC) to carry out certain duties. For instance you have a GMDSS Radio requiring an operator's certificate for either operation and or securing a ship stations licence Radio Operators need New CoCs

This is all supposed to occur overnight with currently no UK laws and regulations drafted, let alone enacted and with out any form of transitional period according to Boris. It just hey presto occurs overnight on 31 October. That should be interesting.

Wouldn't want to be relying on an insurance policy to be watertight without all this stuff in place.

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

So the EU's position is, the deal is the deal is the deal and because May agreed to it, that's it? No further changes possible?

The deal on the table is the most basic one, citizens right, outstanding and future payments of being in the EU, and North Ireland.
So it is very minimal, EU can not go less minimal without making it No Deal.
Of course if UK says now border in the Irish sea, NI in customs union with EU, that can be talked about.
But nobody is talking that language in the UK, so I reckon the EU has no signals in that area too, hence their reply.

Making NI an area without border controls after leaving the EU is a big risk for the unity of the UK, you need control of who is coming in with what. And then I do not mean the law abiding traders but good ssmugglers and arms dealers and people smugglers. So it is an UK unicorn to say that.

Read this politico interview with BJ (boozing with bojo) , and one article of a BJ supporting MP and all you can conclude,
the BJ team still thinks it can bully the EU like in the 80's as nothing has changed. Thatcher did it so we can do too.
And they are talking up No Deal, but never talk about the negative effects it will have.

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-boozing-with-bojo-a-special-relationship-last-nights-telly/

https://www.michael.fabricant.mp.co.uk/2019/07/11/being-sensible-failed-to-get-a-good-brexit-deal-we-need-a-little-madness/

About NI and NO Deal, customs set aside 4 billion for spending after NO Deal, and that will not only be spend in Dover.
The UK army has 3500 soldiers planned to come into action after No deal, and if you think they will skip sending them to NI I think you are in for a surprise.

This vid will make you both laugh and ask the question why is the UK different to other western democracies about supplementary income for persons holding public office?

Boris day job's before becoming Mayor and MP was that of a reporter, incl a stint on the Daily Telegraph's Brussels desk and as editor of the Spectator (while also becoming a MP which he promised the publisher Conrad Black he wouldn't do).

So not exactly positions that put you into or lead to joining the Sunday Times Rich List

The reporters question in this vid was obviously aimed at, but poorly executed, and that BoJo quickly  skirted as is his forte, was is he currently chasing the keys to #10 and putting the UK second?

Boris must have dementia forgetting that it wasn't until joining public life that the £ started to roll in. For instance his weekly Daily Telegraph column today is a salary of £275,000 or say 10 hours a month equals an hourly rate of £2,291 which he responded to as being "chicken feed". One speech he earns £51,000 and yet more, yet at the same time has his snout in the public purse as an MP and for a stint a Minister that doubles the salary? It also seems he has been using US citizenship to to avoid paying tax in the UK. Parliamentry register of outside interests shows Boris is at the top of the tree.

So his lame response in this vid about being poor as a public servant some pyschologists would make hay with. Is he alter egoing Hunt who made a few bob before joining public life where it is claimed he is the richest of those sitting around the Cabinet Table? Is it a case of "my dick would be bigger than Jeremy's" if I hadn't subscribed to public service thing? Some Trump in reverse thing happening maybe? Who knows?

All very weird dynamics for someone saying he the best credentialed as leader to bring the UK together once appointed by 160,000 Tory MP's in a fortnight.

PS. Seems he is not alone. Farage it is claimed is getting  £30,000 a month from outside earnings in addition to rent free contras etc from Banks etc while being a UK MEP paid by the UK taxpayer. Yep he is well placed to lead the dissaffected, poor and undertroden in the UK to the Brexit promised land.

Boris Johnson has fretted to confidants that ministers might sign up to his no deal policy to start with but go wobbly as the Brexit deadline draws closer, resigning at the government’s moment of maximum vulnerability.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/the-most-important-decision-that-boris-has-to-make/

From twitter;
What? He worried that he might have back-stabbing double dealing bastards out to maximise their own political gain by trying to ride two horses at once in his Cabinet? Can't think where they could have got that idea.

Simple solution, fill the cabinet with people like Mark Francois and Steve Baker.

s-l300.jpg A cabinet filled with unicorns...

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Buried in No Deal Brexit preparation documentation that might interest some here is Maritime vessels and work at sea. Of the many sections and outside vessel itself is Hiring Crew for Vessels and Yachts. That includes checking crew qualifications, certificates of competency, crew agreements, travel documents and crew lists etc.

Probably biggest impact is Certificate of Competency (CoC) or Certificate of Equivalent Competency (CEC) to carry out certain duties. For instance you have a GMDSS Radio requiring an operator's certificate for either operation and or securing a ship stations licence Radio Operators need New CoCs

This is all supposed to occur overnight with currently no UK laws and regulations drafted, let alone enacted and with out any form of transitional period according to Boris. It just hey presto occurs overnight on 31 October. That should be interesting.

Wouldn't want to be relying on an insurance policy to be watertight without all this stuff in place.

Jack, you have me slightly confused , are you trying to say that before brexit there is no need for CoC or CeC in the UK ? ... coupe of years ago  big part of my job was making sure that all the guys working for us who go to sea are fully certified, the documents that I see there, the application form and all that is mentioned inthere is the normal stuff which exists already for years, I don't think brexit changes any of it, unless I missed something, so care to tell me what I'm missing ?

Half of the vessels that worked for us were british based, and all of the crew (skipper and co-skipper usually british, rest of crew usually fillipino) had those certificates (depending on their job), otherwise it's a no-go, and we're extremely strict on it, I just can't believe that the same would not be needed in the UK and suddenly would be needed due to a brexit ? inquiring minds want to know ;-)

p.s. there is one wee little detail that might cause some problems though, but I'm out of the loop now so don't know and maybe that's just the part I'm missing :  a skipper of a work vessel like the ones servicing windfarms needs an STCW-A-II/2 license in Europe, whereas in the UK a yachtmaster commercial is ok,so the british workvessels come in with yachtmasters calling the shots,  there was always a bit of a debate if a yachtmaster would be equivalent to STCW but we had to accept it, now after brexit this question might take another turn

47 minutes ago, Albatros said:

Jack, you have me slightly confused , are you trying to say that before brexit there is no need for CoC or CeC in the UK ? ... I don't think brexit changes any of it, unless I missed something, so care to tell me what I'm missing ?

No not what I'm saying. Maybe this helps better explain in really simplistic terms.

Think what is required for certification etc pre Brexit and post Brexit there is no change. The change is pre Brexit the UK and EU had regulatory alignment via common EU laws and regulations for all those things required. Post Brexit the UK has to replace those previous EU regulations with those of their own which then means the prior EU based certifications etc fall away and get replaced by UK only counterparts. Then if there is going to be regulatory alignment like that which existed pre Brexit, both the UK and the EU have to agree to each other's now seperate laws and regulations.

The idea was Brexit with a Deal had all this stuff occuring over a transition period of a couple of years. A No Deal Brexit means it has to happen at the stroke of midnight on 31 October if it is to properly function. Expecting that to occur is the biggest Unicorn of all.

Hope that makes sense.

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

About NI and NO Deal, customs set aside 4 billion for spending after NO Deal, and that will not only be spend in Dover.
The UK army has 3500 soldiers planned to come into action after No deal, and if you think they will skip sending them to NI I think you are in for a surprise.

I think that 4 billion budget might be under a lot of pressure. Someone may have forgotten to zip over to Nth Ireland and find out the removal of border watchtowers was traded for the decommissioning of IRA weapons all courtesy of the GFA, but took many years post GFA to occur.

It has been said that the British Army from these border watchtowers could read the speedometer dials of cars driving below, distinguish patterns on the wallpaper inside houses, see what was eaten for breakfast and hear what was said over the breakfast table.

So maybe this is in Boris's mind for there being no need for hard border check points and that being done remotely, combined of course with livestock face recognition technology.

Fuckwits.

lon89235-teaser-story-big.jpg

lon89225-teaser-xxl.jpg

14 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Think what is required for certification etc pre Brexit and post Brexit there is no change.

@Jack Sparrow @Albatros Gents,  non UK deck officers and engineers serving on UK vessels have always required UK CeC's before signing on.  The exception being that masters can only serve for 6 months on a temp CeC before sitting a UKLAP exam to obtain a UK CoC.  At the moment I have not heard from my crewing dept that that is going to change.

The snag is that the UKLAP covers every conceivable merchant discipline, from workboat to cruise ships to bulkers and everything inbetween.  Understandable that a tug skipper will struggle with that.  We put 2 through the program which isn't cheap.  1 failed miserably, the other succeeded by a whisker.  Records are kept till eternity by the MCA so after 6 months ... that's it! 

Regretfully the last few years we have not been able to sign on Phillipino A/B's in the UK anymore and worse, on one vessel that was trading in and out of the UK for an extended period of time the PH mate, A/B & engineer were nearly forcibly removed by Borderforce  as in ......."if you don't send them packing" ......" we will"  (thanks to the 'Hostile Environment)

True that the UK 200T Yachtmaster (commercially endorsed) is acceptable in the UK for workboats and small tugs/multicats but there has already been fopposition and misunderstandings on the continent regarding this certification.

Irish Maritime Administration does not accept/recognize the Yachtmaster certificate for vessels operating in their territorial waters so we always have to put a extra skipper on with a UK STCW 200T CoC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

No not what I'm saying. Maybe this helps better explain in really simplistic terms.

Think what is required for certification etc pre Brexit and post Brexit there is no change. The change is pre Brexit the UK and EU had regulatory alignment via common EU laws and regulations for all those things required. Post Brexit the UK has to replace those previous EU regulations with those of their own which then means the prior EU based certifications etc fall away and get replaced by UK only counterparts. Then if there is going to be regulatory alignment like that which existed pre Brexit, both the UK and the EU have to agree to each other's now seperate laws and regulations.

The idea was Brexit with a Deal had all this stuff occuring over a transition period of a couple of years. A No Deal Brexit means it has to happen at the stroke of midnight on 31 October if it is to properly function. Expecting that to occur is the biggest Unicorn of all.

Hope that makes sense.

yes, I see where you're getting at, but have to remark that the rules and regulations come basically from IMO,  as such it is not a EU thing by definition unless of course there is a EU rules that it's IMO and nothing else,  if UK goes along IMO rules there is no problem, but remember my yachtmaster versus STCW skipper license remark, looking at the document you have linked to, it might indeed mean that the UK would now fully align to IMO rules and that might be a big bugger for a load of british skippers, unless of course a transition is accepted where current yachtmaster commercials with sufficient mileage are equalled to STCW.

One thing in that application form you posted caused some additional surprise : it states that no Opito  safety certificate is accepted, that's weird, as Opito is one of the most accepted standards, it came about by your own oil industry in the north sea, or, grin, is it because it's Aberdeen based and hence not really Brit ? grin

2 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

@Jack Sparrow @Albatros Gents,  non UK deck officers and engineers serving on UK vessels have always required UK CeC's before signing on.  The exception being that masters can only serve for 6 months on a temp CeC before sitting a UKLAP exam to obtain a UK CoC.  At the moment I have not heard from my crewing dept that that is going to change.

The snag is that the UKLAP covers every conceivable merchant discipline, from workboat to cruise ships to bulkers and everything inbetween.  Understandable that a tug skipper will struggle with that.  We put 2 through the program which isn't cheap.  1 failed miserably, the other succeeded by a whisker.  Records are kept till eternity by the MCA so after 6 months ... that's it! 

Regretfully the last few years we have not been able to sign on Phillipino A/B's in the UK anymore and worse, on one vessel that was trading in and out of the UK for an extended period of time the PH mate, A/B & engineer were nearly forcibly removed by Borderforce  as in ......."if you don't send them packing" ......" we will"  (thanks to the 'Hostile Environment)

True that the UK 200T Yachtmaster (commercially endorsed) is acceptable in the UK for workboats and small tugs/multicats but there has already been fopposition and misunderstandings on the continent regarding this certification.

Irish Maritime Administration does not accept/recognize the Yachtmaster certificate for vessels operating in their territorial waters so we always have to put a extra skipper on with a UK STCW 200T CoC.

thanks for confirmation, my background in this respect is indeed mostly related to workboats, multicats and special vessels (like jack-ups and cable laying vessels) working on the windfarms, and yes, overhere this yachtmaster license acceptance was always a bit of a debate and brexit might reopen the debate, but ironically if yachtmaster commercial would not be accepted anymore then some local companies (in Oostende for example) might also be affected as they have been running some of their vessels under british flag just because -and this is not hearsay, it's just what the general manager of one of those companies told me- "it's easier to get a yachtmaster commercial than STCW, so it's easier for us to find skippers and we're always in need of them" (whether it's true that it's easier, I don't know, and usually the british skippers are o.k.)

Oh I forgot to say in addition to Boris's plans for the seamless livestock crossing of the Irish border courtesy of cow face recognition technology, there are actually people there too, some who haven't yet seen their local hard border come down, let alone god forbid have one come back. 

When Boris was told there are "gated communities" in Belfast, he must have  thought; lucky buggers I wonder if they have one of Trumpy's golf courses?

This Sky vid is dated this time last year, 20 years after the GFA.

images - 2019-07-11T220354.092.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Albatros said:

yes, I see where you're getting at, but have to remark that the rules and regulations come basically from IMO,  as such it is not a EU thing by definition unless of course there is a EU rules that it's IMO and nothing else,  if UK goes along IMO rules there is no problem, ...

Yes those come from IMO and that applies world wide but IMO is only an International Treaty.

IMO or other aspects then have to be converted into local laws and regulations for things like certification, enforcement and penalties etc. There is no suggestion the UK won't follow exactly as it has now being a member of the EU.

However they have to first draft all those new UK statutes and regulations, across 4 unions with varied devolved powers and have them enacted via Westminister, including ensuring there is regulatory alignment with the EU if they think that necessary to facilitate reciprocal rights and expectations ie UK registered vessel in a EU member states waters and visa versa. In doing all that the UK may have to put in place new or revised departmental responsibilities or even add new hard infrastructure.

That is the underlying problem with there being no transitional period for exiting the EU with no deal.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Albatros said:

"it's easier to get a yachtmaster commercial than STCW, so it's easier for us to find skippers and we're always in need of them" (whether it's true that it's easier, I don't know, and usually the british skippers are o.k.)

I'm sure you can because the ticket held + experience decides the day rate.

Also a lot of 'old' fishermen got their Yachtmaster on the back of their fishing tickets yonks ago.  We have a few and ye old, time served old dogs can spin a tug on a penny. Not saying that a fully ticketed up young bloke cannot but experience on the sticks counts for a lot in this game.

My eldest went through the UKSA in Cowes and came out with more certs than my arm is long, including a shiny Yachtmaster Offshore, but I wouldn't let him anywhere near my 24 footer, that's for sure. :lol:

Also a lot of windfarm jockey's think they can drive anything .....ehm ...... NOT !!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laser1 said:

I'm sure you can because the ticket held + experience decides the day rate.

Also a lot of 'old' fishermen got their Yachtmaster on the back of their fishing tickets yonks ago.  We have a few and ye old, time served old dogs can spin a tug on a penny. Not saying that a fully ticketed up young bloke cannot but experience on the sticks counts for a lot in this game.

My eldest went through the UKSA in Cowes and came out with more certs than my arm is long, including a shiny Yachtmaster Offshore, but I wouldn't let him anywhere near my 24 footer, that's for sure. :lol:

Also a lot of windfarm jockey's think they can drive anything .....ehm ...... NOT !!! 

The quailty of the output from the UKSA is debatable :ph34r:

• Like 1

Quite funny how we all look in first thing in the morning looking for Jack and Leo’s big exposees of the day which they loyally woken early to have ready for breakfast time reading by us minions. 

We minions then spend the rest of the day going “ well it might not be quite such a drama that can’t be solved relatively quickly “ or as more often in my case “ you’ve only mentioned half the story “ . 

On nautical terms at last and is there not a bit of a nautical elephant in the harbour, that of all the “Fat Pangs” British flagged gin palaces such as Jacks daddies boat that will now have to be EU registered and with that having to be owned by an EU country registered company which then exposes said company to EU taxes.

2 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

... or as more often in my case “ you’ve only mentioned half the story “ . 

What a shame then you're not doing much to actually provide the other half of the story, apart from the very inadequate 'Trust us, it'll be allright' mantra which is all we've been hearing from the Brexiteers since before the referendum...

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LeoV said:

A great line from that article:

"most of those with the technical expertise to deliver Brexit think it is a terrible idea and, conversely, most of those who think it is a great idea don’t have the technical expertise to deliver it."

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, LeoV said:

This article reminds one of Steve Bannon identifying “the deconstruction of the administrative state” as one of the priorities (lines of work) of the Trump White House.

And it is now;
Brexiters first, Conservatives second, country third.

• Like 1

Remember how quickly May chased down the Huawei Cabinet leaker and leading to the sacking of Williamson.

Wonder if she will put same effort in and try and identify which Brexiteer leaked the Ambassadors notes to that Farage friendly journo. If she can't she could still inact revenge against that unknown colleague by appointing her own man, or woman as the new Ambassador before stepping down.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Remember how quickly May chased down the Huawei Cabinet leaker and leading to the sacking of Williamson.

Wonder if she will put same effort in and try and identify which Brexiteer leaked the Ambassadors notes to that Farage friendly journo. If she can't she could still inact revenge against that unknown colleague by appointing her own man, or woman as the new Ambassador before stepping down.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1148909339106824193?s=21

Make Sadiq Khan ambassador to the US.

• Like 1

If Sadiq unavailable what about Corbyn. Kill two birds with one stone. Speaking Ambassadors Farage is a shoe in for Malaysia. Word "Faraj" is "Cunt" in Malay.

Interesting article on how Brexit/DUP may contribute to a progressive united ireland

Warning, as the article states:

"Explaining any aspect of Northern Irish politics in depth is a bit like giving a friend an update on all those operations that your dog has just had – it’s obviously sad, complicated, and painful, but without ever actually being interesting, which means that the second you begin speaking, your pal is only half-listening, and merely waiting for a polite moment to change the subject"

• Like 1

Latest BMG Research Poll

No Deal only attracts the support of one-third of the public but largest choice when only one outcome selection and is still majority choice of Leavers. This 2/3 No Deal opposition is starting to repeat in a number of polls.

Split on most of the outcomes with no clear majority with exception opposition to May's Deal and No Deal. 

- Revoking the UK’s notice of withdrawal and remaining the EU comes out on top with a net score of +5%.

- Holding a second in-out referendum (+2%).

- Leaving the EU without a deal  (-6%)

- Various hypothetical referendums all favour revoking A.50 except No Deal trumped May's Deal.

Bottom line is public still extremely divided in fact compromise solutions like May’s deal and the option of extending the deadline are alongside No Deal as the least popular outcomes.

Remainers and Leavers are still in their trenches.

33 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Interesting article on how Brexit/DUP may contribute to a progressive united ireland

Warning, as the article states:

"Explaining any aspect of Northern Irish politics in depth is a bit like giving a friend an update on all those operations that your dog has just had – it’s obviously sad, complicated, and painful, but without ever actually being interesting, which means that the second you begin speaking, your pal is only half-listening, and merely waiting for a polite moment to change the subject"

In one of my many Irish pieces upthread (that in hindsight are like explaining ones dogs operations and tune out occurs) I mentioned that the DUP were badly overplaying their hand in a number of instances. That is first article I have seen start to recognise that intransigence of the DUP is their weakness. Maybe journalists simply stay away from NI articles because of the dog thing?

20 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

yeah, no, yeah, that sounds totally believable.  And you're in Northern Ireland now.  Surely.

I’m not from the 6 counties but given the amount of stupid in this thread it’s not surprising that you think so. 

19 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

IMG_20190627_142523.thumb.jpg.e5b0bc6cc62ccde2aaa83295c7df5739.jpg

That poll clearly shows that a majority(57%)  wish to get the fuck out of the EU

Why do you hate democracy?

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think that 4 billion budget might be under a lot of pressure. Someone may have forgotten to zip over to Nth Ireland and find out the removal of border watchtowers was traded for the decommissioning of IRA weapons all courtesy of the GFA, but took many years post GFA to occur.

It has been said that the British Army from these border watchtowers could read the speedometer dials of cars driving below, distinguish patterns on the wallpaper inside houses, see what was eaten for breakfast and hear what was said over the breakfast table.

So maybe this is in Boris's mind for there being no need for hard border check points and that being done remotely, combined of course with livestock face recognition technology.

Fuckwits.

lon89225-teaser-xxl.jpg

I remember those days well Jack,

you ever been there back in the day?

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Yes.. the locals there in NT still remember fondly the cultural enrichment you provided.

images - 2019-07-11T150216.403.jpeg

images - 2019-07-11T150424.419.jpeg

I seem to be getting to you Jackie.

Keep posting your bullshit, it’s only helping the voters renew and reinforce their resolve.

17 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Yeah, one of my GF's came across mobs of drunken tourists from the UK when she was in Darwin for a holiday. Piss heads, aggressive and stupid.

FKT

I agree.

those Brits can be an uncouth lot 

:-)

20 hours ago, hoppy said:

In your dreams Randum....

“In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows

but my sorrow, they learnt to swim 

surrounding me, going down on me

spilling over the brim”

1 hour ago, Sea warrior said:

I’m not from the 6 counties but given the amount of stupid in this thread it’s not surprising that you think so. 

Nah, we all know you are from Queensland, Mr Randumbarse

In one of my many Irish pieces upthread (that in hindsight are like explaining ones dogs operations and tune out occurs) I mentioned that the DUP were badly overplaying their hand in a number of instances. That is first article I have seen start to recognise that intransigence of the DUP is their weakness. Maybe journalists simply stay away from NI articles because of the dog thing?

Politics and policy sometimes reacts to overextension or overreach by swing hard the other way.

Their was significant weakening of the Presidency as a result of Watergate. Cheney used 9/11 as an excuse to rebuild the imperial presidency. I suspect the reaction to trump will be a diminishment in presidential power and a swing to more “liberal” policies.

Who knows what the reaction to a Brexit train wreck will be.

Maidstone hustings.

Much the same ole. Bringing back shipbuilding a Boris add on, not sure why the people of Kent would be interested in that, maybe he thought he was in Nth Eng?

However an interesting narrative from Boris being repeated time over word perfect. Leaving with No Deal is the best thing since sliced bread, great for the country blah blah...BUT then he blames the EU if that was to happen. In other words leaving with No Deal is a bad thing???? 

This is bullshit and doublespeak on a unimaginable scale. 

15 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Nah, we all know you are from Queensland, Mr Randumbarse

Not really but I passed through Three Ways in the NT once and was shocked at the effects of “cultural enrichment” on the natives.

whats not to like about that shit.

Ever been to Three Ways?

11 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Not really but I passed through Three Ways in the NT once

i betcha have a black friend too

5 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

What his you say?

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/financial-stability-report/2019/july-2019

“The core of the UK financial system, including banks, dealers and insurance companies, is resilient to, and prepared for, the wide range of risks it could face, including a worst-case disorderly Brexit.   

The perceived likelihood of a no-deal Brexit has increased since the start of the year.”

2 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

That poll clearly shows that a majority(57%)  wish to get the fuck out of the EU

The poll clearly shows that a majority prefer to stay in the EU without an agreement. 

Why do you hate a condition precedent?

23 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Ever been to Three Ways?

No but I have had one, with two very lovely "close" women. 

7 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

What his you say?

“The core of the UK financial system, including banks, dealers and insurance companies, is resilient to, and prepared for, the wide range of risks it could face, including a worst-case disorderly Brexit.   

The perceived likelihood of a no-deal Brexit has increased since the start of the year.”

nonsequitur says what?

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

yes he does..

2015713205323_wiseowl.jpg

43 minutes ago, hoppy said:

yes he does..

2015713205323_wiseowl.jpg

Well that’s ‘nice’

did you get that picture off the Internet or from your private collection?

What his you say?

You should really read first information you post.

That is a Bank of England "financial stability report" for major UK banks and insurers. In otherwords it shows they can ride out the storm and won't go "belly up" in the event of a worst-case No Deal Brexit.

It does not address mitigation by those insitutions that have already moved/in process of moving their EU financial desks to the EU along with their capital and services income. It is not an indicator of post Brexit economic health or a reflective pointer to the exchange rate. Some pundits suggest it might hit parity with the dollar, or a further hit of 20% of over and above the 20% hit already since 2016. 

What's your next trick, spoon bending?

45 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

nonsequitur says what?

Well, firstly, It’s not a nonsequitur, it’s not even a non sequitur.

what it is is the Bank Of England’s report formulated from research and analysis which points out in a reasoned and intelligent fashion the pros and cons of Brexit from a financial point of view.

I know you nancys aren’t much interested in such things as reasoned analysis,  preferring instead to post regurgitated bs from likeminded loons on the Internet but there you have it.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

You should really read first information you post.

That is a Bank of England "financial stability report" for major UK banks and insurers. In otherwords it shows they can ride the storm and won't go "belly up" in the event of a worst-case No Deal Brexit.

It does not address those insitutions that have already moved/in process of moving their EU financial desks to the EU along with their capital and services income. It is not an indicator of post Brexit economic health or pointer to the exchange rate, which some pundits suggest might hit parity with the dollar, or a further hit of 20% of over and above the 20% hit already since 2016. 

What's your next trick, spoon bending?

Lol

grabbing at straws are we?

“Most risks to UK financial stability from disruption to cross-border financial services in a no-deal Brexit have been mitigated.“

booo!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

grabbing at straws are we?

“Most risks to UK financial stability from disruption to cross-border financial services in a no-deal Brexit have been mitigated.“

booo!!!!!!

Randumb yes they have been "mitigated"...by moving to Europe. Do you dream of the day a machine will be invented so sensitive it can pick up your IQ?

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

It does not address mitigation by those insitutions that have already moved/in process of moving their EU financial desks to the EU along with their capital and services income

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Randumb yes they have been "mitigated"...by moving to Europe. Do you dream of the day a machine will be invented so sensitive it can pick up your IQ?

Lol

I don’t know who Randumb nor do I understand the reference or even care  but I do know a dumbass when I see one, dumbass.

Now, I’m not suggesting that there  won’t be pain and that report clearly states that there will be but it will be short term and the sky won’t fall. 

Of course Nincompoops like yourself might feel the pinch but the rest of us will get over it.

2 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

Of course Nincompoops like yourself might feel the pinch but the rest of us will get over it.

As you neither live nor have any financial interests in the UK you will get over it quickly.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

As you neither live nor have any financial interests in the UK you will get over it quickly.

Unlike you (apparently), with or without Brexit I will still be able to live legally in the UK, Europe, Ireland, the US or even South America for that matter, so I really have little or nothing to loose and lots to gain from Brexit.

And the biggest treat of all is watching wanks like you sweating over this shit.

I cannot possibly begin to describe how pleasurable your suffering is for me.

ta, ta for now.

4 minutes ago, Sea warrior said:

so I really have little or nothing to loose and lots to gain from Brexit.

Keep up the leg humping Randumb.

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

Politics and policy sometimes reacts to overextension or overreach by swing hard the other way.

Or they can be plain nutty.

Last week DUP support Hunt and Johnson EU No Deal October exit

THEN

Today DUP acknowledge No Deal will hurt NI and don't support it but presumably still support both contenders.

The place is an asylum.

5 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

OR 72% don't accept leaving with No Deal OR with 16% Soft Brexit (stay in the EU Customs Union/Single Market) and with 43% Remain, that equals 59% who don't want to leave with either a May Deal or No Deal.

That more than two-thirds who don't want to exit with No Deal is appearing now in multiple polls for what that is worth in terms of accuracy. It also supports other polls that those more fearful of either a General Election and or Confirmatory Referendum are Hard Brexiters. It also appears to be reflected in a poll showing Brexit Party support is plummeting.

I can see why you don't like maths.

OR 72% don't accept leaving with No Deal OR with 16% Soft Brexit (stay in the EU Customs Union/Single Market) and with 43% Remain, that equals 59% who don't want to leave with either a May Deal or No Deal.

That more than two-thirds who don't want to exit with No Deal is appearing now in multiple polls for what that is worth in terms of accuracy. It also supports other polls that those more fearful of either a General Election and or Confirmatory Referendum are Hard Brexiters. It also appears to be reflected in a poll showing Brexit Party support is plummeting.

I can see why you don't like maths.

But Jack for ease of understanding by the innumerate, they even colour code the result, you know Blue for Leave, Red for Remain, couldn’t be simpler.

Jack were you little rich boy who left boarding school expecting to be the heir apparent at Daddies firm, only to piss off so many employees that Daddy worked out you were a liability rather than an asset and came up with the cunning plan of “ Jack go and live on my boat in Montenegro and become fully conversant with this Brexit thing and you can then advise our company on what we should be doing about it. You know sort of like May and her chief Brexit advisors Fox and Baker.

26 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

But Jack for ease of understanding by the innumerate, they even colour code the result, you know Blue for Leave, Red for Remain, couldn’t be simpler.

Jack were you little rich boy who left boarding school expecting to be the heir apparent at Daddies firm, only to piss off so many employees that Daddy worked out you were a liability rather than an asset and came up with the cunning plan of “ Jack go and live on my boat in Montenegro and become fully conversant with this Brexit thing and you can then advise our company on what we should be doing about it. You know sort of like May and her chief Brexit advisors Fox and Baker.

Do you understand that just because someone supports May's deal or a soft brexit, it does not mean that they will support a "no deal" if that's the only option left on the table.

As we found out in Australia, we were given the option to 1) become a Republic with the president chosen in an election 2) Republic with the president chosen by parliament or 3) remain a constitutional monarchy

In spite of the mood in Aus to become a republic, many chose to remain as is rather than risking a republic with the wrong president selection method. It was a shit way that Little Johnny split the republic vote, but at least it was a democratic vote as people knew what they were voting for.

Brexit, nothing democratic about it now. 

21 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Fuckwits.

lon89225-teaser-xxl.jpg

9 hours ago, Sea warrior said:

I remember those days well Jack,

you ever been there back in the day?

I seem to be getting to you Jackie.

Keep posting your bullshit, it’s only helping the voters renew and reinforce their resolve.

Sea...sorry Randumb, I'm actually enjoying your troll "leg humping" as shown here by trying to address all posts you have directed at me. Not because it is easy to take advantage of someone who clearly has too many "mice running around upstairs" but because your views are clearly held by a lot of people in the Brexit Leave camp.

Anyway to both answer you question and maybe introduce a sailing yarn to soften the political nature of this thread. 

In the 1984 Clipper Cup in Hawaii I had the good fortune to spend some time with an Irish legend called Joe English RIP who was on a boat called Hitchhiker. Upon Joe's advice I ended up killing some time poking around Ireland waiting for Cowes and the Fasnet the following year in 1985 as well as being there for final crew selections for the 85/86 Whitbread.

So anyway taking Joe's advice I landed at Dublin airport in early June 34 years ago last month with absolutely no intention going over the border into the 6 counties or NI.

Remember back then the UK Govt were one of the  first to practise "fake news" (probably the US invented it first during the Vietnam War) a term it took 3 decades later for Trump to articulate in just two words. It was also probably the peak of the British Govt "shoot to kill policy" in NI that to this day they try to suppress.

For instance back then if a NI Sinn Fein politician like Gerry Adams even though being an elected member of Westminister (but carrying forward a century old Sinn Fein tradition that they don't show up to this day), his face could not be shown on UK TV. A BBC interview with him by UK Communications Law prevented them from showing his face, so they used actors. WTF.

So anyway I landed in the ROI with my GF and ran into a lovely couple insisting they take us across the border into NI on a road trip for a week. I thought it to be some insane suicide fucking mission but my American GF who looked better than was smart insisted. My thinking then was Siin Fein/IRA were a bunch of low breed fucking lefty fucking Catholics terrorists and they would kill poor old Protestant and political Liberal me and there was nothing Rev Ian Paisley could do to save me from these cunts.

That road trip changed my perception of NI overnight.

Every night we got on the piss in a local pub. Some were clearly Nationalist/Catholic, others Unionist/Protestant by leaning. I don't recall anyone ever owning up to being affiliated with a paramilitary of either pursausion, but their stories of sectarian violence on both sides was fuckin horrific and their political/unionist/republican views absolutely crystal clear. There was no middle ground.

Nearly every day the GF and I would wake up no matter where, the local paper would report an incident overnight somewhere in NI, and more often than not involving deaths, mostly of innocent people. She just wanted to go shopping, but she was good in the photogenic and horizontal dancing department so I put up with her.

The four of us in the car, two carrying ROI paperwork, the GF and I both aliens were pulled up once at one of a trillion border crossings and held for around two hours, searched and interrogated. They strip searched her by my guess to see if her tits were real. I put it down to the GF with a US passport but Irish surname made those Brit soldiers think she was a US Irish front carrying Cemtex into NI. After that when wobbly late at night we introduced her as "explosive tits" which made people laugh.

I left there thinking only two things. The British Government were a bunch of cunts, and the Republican/Catholics were being shafted.

Two months later on a big boat sitting on the rail heading towards Fasnet Rock and with 100% Anglo crew bar one, the subject of the Irish problem came up. I didn't say a word as they actually had no fucking idea. Fake News.

So wind forward to today, to answer your question Sea Warrior or should I say Randumb where you ask; "you ever been there back in the day?" 

You now have your answer and that aside probably colours my position on what is happening in NI regarding Brexit today and which colours my posts here and that I don't retreat from after my first hand experience 34 years ago and then since in business. You on the other hand nothing to offer.

All ironically probably as an opinion I would not hold today if I hadn't bumped into Irish Joe English at the Clipper Cup in Hawaii in 1984. Fantastic bloke taken too early.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hoppy said:

In spite of the mood in Aus to become a republic, many chose to remain as is rather than risking a republic with the wrong president selection method. It was a shit way that Little Johnny split the republic vote, but at least it was a democratic vote as people knew what they were voting for.

Brexit, nothing democratic about it now. 

That’s one tenuous analogy if ever there was.

Now Brexit company “attaché “Jack, I would lay a bet of say 1 case of beer that despite what you tell Daddies import business, that it will remain  exactly as is after Brexit and simply create a cover company in Europe as the banks seem to be doing, it’s far to cosy and easy for US companies to reside in the U.K. 

interesting interlude on the NI theme and sailing, but one thing you seem to forget, your experiences are  almost 3 decades and a bit ago and the world is a vastly different place. The other thing is that the human mind only remembers the extreme experiences at that sort of year mark, the real day to day version may have been quite different.

Wayne you seem to have some bizarre fixation with my father. I am desperately trying to find some Brexit nexus to that and the vial vomit you spew out.

So let's start at the beginning. My Dad was shot down over the English Channel and survived in 1943 defending the place you Wayne now call home and one you only moved to 25 years ago.

Where was your daddy Wayne then in WWII, if in fact you know who he is?

Fuckin Turnip plus you have never sailed outside the sight of land you rude grubby little cunt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wayne you seem to have some bizarre fixation with my father. I am desperately trying to find some Brexit nexus to that and the vial vomit you spew out.

So let's start at the beginning. My Dad was shot down over the English Channel and survived in 1943 defending the place you Wayne now call home and one you only moved to 25 years ago.

Where was your daddy Wayne then in WWII, if in fact you know who he is?

Fuckin Turnip plus you have never sailed outside the sight of land you rude grubby little cunt.

There you go again, straight in with the public school boy, call him a cunt, then bring up the ace card, my daddy was shot down, sorry my daddy was shot at and on the receiving end of such people as the German equivalent as your dad, then used as cannon fodder in real life face to face you die or I die situations and not from the safety of a 1000hp killing machine .

I'm using your Daddys company because his company type is very likely one of the causes of Brexit, that of large foreign owned companies, based in the UK, paying low minimum wage to the majority of their employees and relying on the state to supplement their income for their survival, putting nothing back into local society such as schools and local infrastructure unlike say the Japanese , nor paying local taxes, all on the front of saying, well we give you employment. Well that maybe the case but that employment may mean a large influx of low paid workers from foreign shores all being supplemented by the state to fulfill the vacant jobs which the Brits consider to be too low paid.

I have nothing against immigration per see, what I do have is a problem with is how the current uncontrolled immigration is effecting every-bodies over all health and wealth and society as it is at present in the UK. ( I bet you now call me a racist, sorry that really is not the case )

In the great circle of things, it doesn't add up and then we have some fuckin rich boy who has done nothing but swan around the world throughout his guilded life and now sits on a boat lecturing us all on how badly he's going to be effected. For ferk sake.

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Remember back then the UK Govt were one of the  first to practise "fake news" (probably the US invented it first during the Vietnam War) a term it took 3 decades later for Trump to articulate in just two words. ...

Jack, a minor digression from an interesting post.

I’ll happily give the British government credit for many innovations in or early adoption of techniques to  manage its subjected populations. I was going to give credit for inventing concentration camps in the Boer war but there Britain was “an early adopter” as  it looks like the Spaniards in Cuba introduced that innovation a few years earlier.

When it comes to “Fake News” arguably the first record of its use would be Darius of Persia in 515 BC and the Bhistun Inscription laying out the argument for his legitimacy.

Offensive as it may be, it seems fake news or propaganda by another name, as featured as a tool of state as long as there have been states.

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Sea...sorry Randumb, I'm actually enjoying your troll "leg humping" as shown here by trying to address all posts you have directed at me. Not because it is easy to take advantage of someone who clearly has too many "mice running around upstairs" but because your views are clearly held by a lot of people in the Brexit Leave camp.

Anyway to both answer you question and maybe introduce a sailing yarn to soften the political nature of this thread. 

In the 1984 Clipper Cup in Hawaii I had the good fortune to spend some time with an Irish legend called Joe English RIP who was on a boat called Hitchhiker. Upon Joe's advice I ended up killing some time poking around Ireland waiting for Cowes and the Fasnet the following year in 1985 as well as being there for final crew selections for the 85/86 Whitbread.

So anyway taking Joe's advice I landed at Dublin airport in early June 34 years ago last month with absolutely no intention going over the border into the 6 counties or NI.

Remember back then the UK Govt were one of the  first to practise "fake news" (probably the US invented it first during the Vietnam War) a term it took 3 decades later for Trump to articulate in just two words. It was also probably the peak of the British Govt "shoot to kill policy" in NI that to this day they try to suppress.

For instance back then if a NI Sinn Fein politician like Gerry Adams even though being an elected member of Westminister (but carrying forward a century old Sinn Fein tradition that they don't show up to this day), his face could not be shown on UK TV. A BBC interview with him by UK Communications Law prevented them from showing his face, so they used actors. WTF.

So anyway I landed in the ROI with my GF and ran into a lovely couple insisting they take us across the border into NI on a road trip for a week. I thought it to be some insane suicide fucking mission but my American GF who looked better than was smart insisted. My thinking then was Siin Fein/IRA were a bunch of low breed fucking lefty fucking Catholics terrorists and they would kill poor old Protestant and political Liberal me and there was nothing Rev Ian Paisley could do to save me from these cunts.

That road trip changed my perception of NI overnight.

Every night we got on the piss in a local pub. Some were clearly Nationalist/Catholic, others Unionist/Protestant by leaning. I don't recall anyone ever owning up to being affiliated with a paramilitary of either pursausion, but their stories of sectarian violence on both sides was fuckin horrific and their political/unionist/republican views absolutely crystal clear. There was no middle ground.

Nearly every day the GF and I would wake up no matter where, the local paper would report an incident overnight somewhere in NI, and more often than not involving deaths, mostly of innocent people. She just wanted to go shopping, but she was good in the photogenic and horizontal dancing department so I put up with her.

The four of us in the car, two carrying ROI paperwork, the GF and I both aliens were pulled up once at one of a trillion border crossings and held for around two hours, searched and interrogated. They strip searched her by my guess to see if her tits were real. I put it down to the GF with a US passport but Irish surname made those Brit soldiers think she was a US Irish front carrying Cemtex into NI. After that when wobbly late at night we introduced her as "explosive tits" which made people laugh.

I left there thinking only two things. The British Government were a bunch of cunts, and the Republican/Catholics were being shafted.

Two months later on a big boat sitting on the rail heading towards Fasnet Rock and with 100% Anglo crew bar one, the subject of the Irish problem came up. I didn't say a word as they actually had no fucking idea. Fake News.

So wind forward to today, to answer your question Sea Warrior or should I say Randumb where you ask; "you ever been there back in the day?" 

You now have your answer and that aside probably colours my position on what is happening in NI regarding Brexit today and which colours my posts here and that I don't retreat from after my first hand experience 34 years ago and then since in business. You on the other hand nothing to offer.

All ironically probably as an opinion I would not hold today if I hadn't bumped into Irish Joe English at the Clipper Cup in Hawaii in 1984. Fantastic bloke taken too early.

Lol

you spent a week with a bimbo in the six counties back in the 80’s and now you’re an expert on the place.

ffs, get a life ya ejit.

edit. This has got to be a pisstake. You sound like a yanks 

and who the fuck is Randumb ?

seriously?

There you go again, straight in with the public school boy, call him a cunt,..

Wayne you are a bonafide gold rolled ungrateful immigrant cunt using Brexit to clearly shut the immigrant door after you. 

..I'm using your Daddys company because his company type is very likely one of the causes of Brexit, that of large foreign owned companies, based in the UK, paying low minimum wage to the majority of their employees and relying on the state to supplement their income for their survival, putting nothing back into local society such as schools and local infrastructure unlike say the Japanese , nor paying local taxes, all on the front of saying, well we give you employment... 

That is a laugh. My late Dad who both helped save Britain in WWII, then invested in the UK starting in 1962 with his brother, a fully incorporated UK company and paying UK taxes in full to this day is one of those which caused Brexit?? Are you on fucking crack?

That company after nearly 60 years will most probably be domiciled in either Netherlands or France after Xmas and will take all its UK export income, all UK taxes and at least 50% of staff and allied contractors who are British citizens all thanks to idiots like you.

In the great circle of things, it doesn't add up and then we have some fuckin rich boy who has done nothing but swan around the world throughout his guilded life and now sits on a boat lecturing us all on how badly he's going to be effected. For ferk sake.

In the great circle of things when I retired from full time professional sailing I started my own business allied to the families then ultimately selling part to a multi national and part to them. You really can't get a trick right assuming what others do on planet earth can you Wayne.

Mate you really are suffering some serious small dick syndrome that is unprounouncible by name it seems.

you spent a week with a bimbo in the six counties back in the 80’s and now you’re an expert on the place.

You asked and I provided my first NI visit details. Bimbo maybe a bit tough though yes she wasn't that bright looking back. Though with a bit of a gap after then still have business interests, employ people, invest etc both in ROI and NI to this day.

Pretty funny how it seems I have to put up bona fides and yet useless dickheads like you and Wayne can't put up a cracker here to support you opinions. That's life I suppose.

30 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pretty funny how it seems I have to put up bona fides and yet useless dickheads like you and Wayne can't put up a cracker here to support you opinions. That's life I suppose.

Come on Randum does not have an opinion, he's just fishing for a fight

How Randum views himself

gallery-1483524738-hemingway-fish.jpg?re

how he really is

e93a4ccd0bad678989d930e0b890fd90--pee-we

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So the Brexiteer MEP’s are demonstrating the tact and diplomatic negotiating skills that they hope will win them dozens of trade agreements in record time.

They call for  EU fishing vessels to be 'sunk like Belgrano'

There is very little evidence that Trumpian trade tactics are really working for the US, but to the extent they are it probably requires being the biggest economy, with the biggest military, with the greatest influence on global payment systems and capital markets. I don’t think post Brexit UK will have the leverage to back up the gun boat diplomacy approach.

Edited by KC375

I am surprised at how some here count. Meaningful votes are either for or against. Two choices. The survey above has four choices, two of which are clear. Should I go or should I stay. Stay wins that vote. But there are two fuzzy choices that received 13 and 16 percent. We do not know which way these folks would swing, if the two fuzzy choices were removed. I would suggest that many would vote to stay, if the fuzzy options were not attainable.

• Like 1

edit. This has got to be a pisstake. You sound like a yanks 

you're cute when you pretend to be from overseas

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wayne you are a bonafide gold rolled ungrateful immigrant cunt using Brexit to clearly shut the immigrant door after you. 

That is a laugh. My late Dad who both helped save Britain in WWII, then invested in the UK starting in 1962 with his brother, a fully incorporated UK company and paying UK taxes in full to this day is one of those which caused Brexit?? Are you on fucking crack?

That company after nearly 60 years will most probably be domiciled in either Netherlands or France after Xmas and will take all its UK export income, all UK taxes and at least 50% of staff and allied contractors who are British citizens all thanks to idiots like you.

In the great circle of things when I retired from full time professional sailing I started my own business allied to the families then ultimately selling part to a multi national and part to them. You really can't get a trick right assuming what others do on planet earth can you Wayne.

Mate you really are suffering some serious small dick syndrome that is unprounouncible by name it seems.

I would consider myself a pretty useful cunt as I have made the UK my home and solely pay all my taxes and dues here in the UK unlike yourself who has sold up and bolted to his boat in some tax haven.  Your insinuation of shutting the immigrant door, yes that is the case but then there are many more immigrants like myself who think that immigration has become a short term problem and that we just need a bit of time to get the proper infrastructure ratios of such things as schools hospitals, training for apprentices, higher level education, before resuming a more orderly immigration pattern.

If indeed your family is old school and the family company is paying UK taxes in full, then kudos to them, unlike an awful lot of companies that I seem to come across that are leaching the life blood out of the UK society. Whose fault is that, well our ruling elite who have let it be thus.

Will they move that company fully to the Netherlands, I would doubt that once the UK drops its business tax rate , would you move it to France with all its employee laws and high business tax rates, really ?

If indeed you are a self made millionaire as you profess, then well done that man, would you with have made it without the family connections, with your negativity about just everything and seeing the worse case position rather than an optimism that entrepreneurs seemed blessed with, I don't think so. For a man of such means and erudition it staggers me that you are so totally obsessed with this forum, that it has taken over your life, every waking hour is spent writing script for it, some of it very very good and on the money, but your continued use of half facts and the use continuously of only segments of information to support such a  negative stance, puts you into the Boris league of journalism. 

3 minutes ago, Unkle Krusty said:

I am surprised at how some here count. Meaningful votes are either for or against. Two choices. The survey above has four choices, two of which are clear. Should I go or should I stay. Stay wins that vote. But there are two fuzzy choices that received 13 and 16 percent. We do not know which way these folks would swing, if the two fuzzy choices were removed. I would suggest that many would vote to stay, if the fuzzy options were not attainable.

I think you are right.

The move to remain might be even more pronounced when actual “end points” are offered up.

Remain is pretty clear – imperfect as it may be it is the status quo so an actual known position.

The Brexit choices are confused both by path and destination. The path – deal, no deal is starting to be understood. The end point is less clearly discussed. Greater sovereignty, to what end?

You have the Corbynistas seeking Brexit because the EU keeps them from pursuing a more perfect Trotskyite paradise.

You have the ERGsters seeking to free themselves from the socialist constraints of the EU so they can pursue a more perfect capitalist paradise.

I suspect both the ERGsters and the Corbynistas would prefer status quo to the end point pursued by the other.

12 minutes ago, Waynemarlow said:

For a man of such means and erudition it staggers me that you are so totally obsessed with this forum, that it has taken over your life, every waking hour is spent writing script for it, some of it very very good and on the money,..

Let me know when your self help book is published so I can get it on Amazon at a discount to help me correct the error of my ways.

28 minutes ago, KC375 said:

There is very little evidence that Trumpian trade tactics are really working for the US, 

There is actually evidence out there now that the US's trade policy is hurting the US domestically.

However the overlying factor is those trade tactics are being used to prosecute a far wider agenda for the US. For instance wacking China over the head for abuse of US intellectual property rights, it's actions in the South China Sea, putting on notice any support to Nth Korea etc the list is endless. You then have things like the WTO's power and dispute mechanisms (ironically the UK will be looking to to survive post a No Deal Brexit) being attacked by the US, such as refusing to appoint the US nominees to the WTO's justice mechanism.

At the same time the US is exercising it's economic power to both curry favour and threaten individual countries and trading blocks. All very complicated. How the UK thinks it can dive into this shark infested pool and survive with not one trade agreement PFD on hand escapes me.

The jury is out on how successful this US trade policy approach and it's consequential impacts will be, but with the next US election cycle on the horizon a reakoning has to occur sooner than later.

Team trump may celebrate this but I think the US economy as whole may not:

The Los Angeles and Long Beach port complex, the nation’s busiest and the No. 1 for ocean trade with China, – handled 5.1%fewer inbound containers of cargo in June,

1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Come on Randum does not have an opinion, he's just fishing for a fight

How Randum views himself

gallery-1483524738-hemingway-fish.jpg?re

how he really is

e93a4ccd0bad678989d930e0b890fd90--pee-we

Like all good Aussies lost in 32 overs

image.png.3c3ebbe914c5bfb1299ca341d33bbb04.png

4 hours ago, KC375 said:

Jack, a minor digression from an interesting post.

I’ll happily give the British government credit for many innovations in or early adoption of techniques to  manage its subjected populations. I was going to give credit for inventing concentration camps in the Boer war but there Britain was “an early adopter” as  it looks like the Spaniards in Cuba introduced that innovation a few years earlier.

KC I will do a larger digression :-)

Everyone  thinks the Chinese are the pricks that made stealing intellectual property a artform and scourge. However it was arguably first kicked off by the Brits in the 18th century and paved the way for the world's first factory and then the industrial revolution.

In the early 1700's a young Englishman, John Lombe, travelled to Italy undercover to find out their secret to spinning strong yarn from silkworm silk. Here is the full story.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48533696

That level of industrial espionage would not happen today of course with the UK and Italy being both members of the EU. Maybe this is the reason behind Brexit... the UK is sitting on IP it doesn't want to share with the EU like 2nd generation Bakelite or a rebirth of Lucas electrics ?

I’ve observed before, in academe it is plagiarism, in business we call it research.

The orange hair guys attack on the UK's diplomatic service, Theresa herself and her handling of Brexit has brought some not so flattering Tweets directed at him to light and to end another interesting week.

PS. Doesn't Trump remember Wikileaks? I think the White House slagged off about nearly every leader/country on planet earth back then. Don't recall any US ambassadors being recalled. Maybe one rule for the White House and another rule for them others?

Westmacott  the ambassador before Darroch says that  "one US senator told me he considered ‘typical British understatement.”" in describing Darroch’s comments about Trump and his administration.

8 hours ago, Waynemarlow said:

I have nothing against immigration per se, what I do have is a problem with is how the current uncontrolled immigration is affecting everybody's over all health and wealth and society as it is at present in the UK. ( I bet you now call me a racist, sorry that really is not the case )

Okay, I get it.  According to the gospel by Wayne, I have no business being here - me and my family should not be here.  I'm stealing Pommy's job and I clog up the NHS. End off.

What do you call that then?