Bus Driver

Nice Summary

"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina. 

"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.

"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.

"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.
"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.

Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."
- Charles Pierce

• Like 10

Rex Tillerson on Trump: ‘Undisciplined, doesn’t like to read’ and tries to do illegal things.

Rex Tillerson came a little bit closer Thursday to saying what he actually thinks of President Trump.

The fired secretary of state, who while in office reportedly called Trump a “moron” (and declined to deny it), expounded on his thoughts on the president in a rare interview with CBS News’s Bob Schieffer in Houston.

It wasn’t difficult to read between the lines. Tillerson said Trump is “pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read” and repeatedly attempted to do illegal things. He didn’t call Trump a “moron,” but he didn’t exactly suggest that Trump was a scholar — or even just a steady leader.

“What was challenging for me coming from the disciplined, highly process-oriented Exxon Mobil corporation,” Tillerson said, was “to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read, doesn’t read briefing reports, doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘This is what I believe.’ ”

December 7 at 9:31 AM

6 minutes ago, Hard On The Wind said:

doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘This is what I believe.’

Just like his pathetic followers.

9 minutes ago, Hard On The Wind said:

Rex Tillerson came a little bit closer Thursday to saying what he actually thinks of President Trump.

“What was challenging for me coming from the disciplined, highly process-oriented Exxon Mobil corporation,” Tillerson said, was “to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read, doesn’t read briefing reports, doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things, but rather just kind of says, ‘This is what I believe.’ ”

Well to be fair Trump has a yuge gut.

17 minutes ago, Hard On The Wind said:

Rex Tillerson on Trump: ‘Undisciplined, doesn’t like to read’ and tries to do illegal things.

The trick is to find out how and when those seemingly arbitrary "beliefs" are formed and to be there at their formation.  Not an easy trick.  But necessary if this ship is going to be turned away from the shoals.  

Question:  How did Trump pick coal as his emblematic issue?  There really aren't a lot of coal miner's votes, nor is it a seriously money-making industry anymore, and it is far, far from his experience or interest, being dirty and messy.  What went through his lizard brain about coal as an issue that he is more than willing to stand up to every leader in the world and push coal forward. 

Solution:  What we may need is some shyster-looking guy who can whisper into his ear a clever scheme to make piles of money building wind farms in the midwest.  It just can't look too green or too straight-forward.  Collusion would have to be involved.  He'd love it.

"So often, the President would say here's what I want to do and here's how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, Mr. President I understand what you want to do but you can't do it that way. It violates the law." : Rex Tillerson

10 minutes ago, dacapo said:

"So often, the President would say here's what I want to do and here's how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, Mr. President I understand what you want to do but you can't do it that way. It violates the law." : Rex Tillerson

So the President repeatedly sought to violate the law.   His cabinet and aids stopped him but didn’t expose him, and then we’re fired so they cannot stop the next attempt.   None had the balls to make it public at the time.  Weak men failing to protect the country.

11 minutes ago, Lark said:

So the President repeatedly sought to violate the law.   His cabinet and aids stopped him but didn’t expose him, and then we’re fired so they cannot stop the next attempt.   None had the balls to make it public at the time.  Weak men failing to protect the country.

To be fair, I doubt he is the only President who found out something he wanted to do was illegal.

How many folks could say they truly comprehend all the nuances and subtleties involved?

I have a hunch he is the most egregious offender in this regard.  But, likely not alone.

Too bad Dog will not recognize this as me actually disagreeing with someone saying something bad about the Messiah.

25 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

To be fair, I doubt he is the only President who found out something he wanted to do was illegal.

How many folks could say they truly comprehend all the nuances and subtleties involved?

I have a hunch he is the most egregious offender in this regard.  But, likely not alone.

Too bad Dog will not recognize this as me actually disagreeing with someone saying something bad about the Messiah.

Roosevelt tried to pack the Supreme Court, not dissimilar to Republicans trying to shrink it.    People lose their moral compass in the moment but don’t desire to subvert democracy.   You provide a challenging argument.   When does a secretary just say “No” and when do we lock them up?    Excessive actions intended for a perceived greater good provides a dangerous and easily exploited loophole by zealots everywhere.   But they are easier to forgive.    Wrong actions for personal benefit (power like Nixon or wealth like Trump) seems clearly wrong every time.    So the question becomes:   ‘Do you believe Trump is acting wrongly with the belief he benefits the nation, or is the benefit for the oligarchs?’     The billionaire’s relief act and his gravitation toward foreign entanglements seem to prove the latter.   

8 hours ago, Hard On The Wind said:

The fired secretary of state, who while in office reportedly called Trump a “moron” (and declined to deny it), expounded on his thoughts on the president in a rare interview with CBS News’s Bob Schieffer in Houston.

It wasn’t difficult to read between the lines. Tillerson said Trump is “pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read” and repeatedly attempted to do illegal things. He didn’t call Trump a “moron,” but he didn’t exactly suggest that Trump was a scholar — or even just a steady leader.

My guess is that Trump's ego is Trumped only by Tillerson's. Probably thinks civilian leaders, as a rule, are morons. There is some truth to that. 

He probably hates that Trump has the money, the wife and the presidency.  The final insult was getting canned by his inferior. 

Bash Trump all you want but he has gifts that transcend book knowledge or traditional smarts and they made him very wealthy and ultimately president. Your hate blinds you to that fact and leads you to forever underestimate him. 

It is so important for you to believe he stumbled into wealth (I don't care how much you think he inherited. If he was 5% as dumb as you claim he would have lost it all on his grand schemes), and lucked into the presidency? 

The man read America like a book and saw what all the "Smarter" Tillisonian experts missed. That is talent whether you think so or not. 

Obama was this kid that world leaders could smile at while using him for a doormat. 

So they all dislike Trump? Maybe that has something to do with the fact he can't be manipulated like "I apologize for America, now, how can I appease you" Obama. 

-----------------

Here is my take on Cohen.  The last thing he would have done is say "Hey Donald, I'm raking in a couple million promising access to you in the white house, Cool huh?". 

Why do I think that? Because Trump is a billionaire and president. Even if Cohen offered to split the take you don't risk your billions, the presidency and jail for a measly couple million under the table. (four days of income for Trump).

Almost a certainty that Cohen was doing this in secret. Any hint to Trump and the WH staff would be his undoing and ultimately it turned out that way. So even if Cohen claims Trump was in on it what jury will believe it. 

The analogy is Tom Brady's PR manager gets busted for running a fake memorabilia operation that raked in 200,000. (100K to Tom's 200 Mil is about equal to 2 Mil of Trump's 4 billion)

The PR guy says hey cut my sentence and I'll finger Brady as a co-conspirator. 

Do you think a jury will buy that Tom risked jail, getting cut from the Patriots, and the humiliation for a measly 100 K? 

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

My guess is that Trump's ego is Trumped only by Tillerson's. Probably thinks civilian leaders, as a rule, are morons. There is some truth to that. 

He probably hates that Trump has the money, the wife and the presidency.  The final insult was getting canned by his inferior. 

Bash Trump all you want but he has gifts that transcend book knowledge or traditional smarts and they made him very wealthy and ultimately president. Your hate blinds you to that fact and leads you to forever underestimate him. 

It is so important for you to believe he stumbled into wealth (I don't care how much you think he inherited. If he was 5% as dumb as you claim he would have lost it all on his grand schemes), and lucked into the presidency? 

The man read America like a book and saw what all the "Smarter" Tillisonian experts missed. That is talent whether you think so or not. 

When Trump boasted of being worth 10 billion, Forbes listed him as being worth 3 billion.  It's easy to see why he appeals to you.  He is a fucking liar like you are. 

As far as his history, he was indeed born of wealth.  After his dad croaked, he and his siblings sold off a lot of real estate to raise cash.  Trump managed to fuck that up, going into debt personally for nearly a billion dollars.  The liar persuaded banks to give him another 65 million just to keep his shit afloat.   The Trump organization revealed it was 5 billion in debt in 1990.  Through bailouts and deferments, 2nd and 3rd mortgages, and bankruptcies, he managed to keep the lights on. It was not until he got into "branding" of the Trump name that he finally stopped fucking up, shirking on his debts, and made any money.   Being a TV reality show star also helped.   

In contrast,  Rex Tillerson did not have shit to start with.  He started work at 14 at Oklahoma State University as a busboy.  By age 16 he was a janitor there, and worked weekends picking cotton.  He received a college scholarship from the University of Texas Longhorn Band. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 1975.  He joined Exxon Company USA in 1975 as a production engineer. In 2006, he was elected chairman and CEO.

And you think Rex Tillerson is jealous of Trump?  Fucking hilarious.  If Donald Trump offered to shine Tillerson's shoes, I'm certain Rex would turn him down figuring he could probably even fuck that up.

20 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina. 

"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.

"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.

"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.
"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.

Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."
- Charles Pierce

Excellent summary and spot on.  No sarcasm in the slightest

But it is also "Burn this bitch down", so the orange buffoon serves his purpose.  

12 hours ago, Bus Driver said:

Agree with all.

And while I don't agree with his cabinet's actions in not exposing him - I suspect they correctly assume that trying to block him and dissuade him from doing stupid shit is far easier than the only real alternative of invoking the 25th amendment and the shitstorm that would inevitable follow.  I suspect that they (probably rightly think that stonewalling some of the more egregious stuff for a few years until 2020 that he has pursued.  

Very nicely written OP, but it has one serious flaw: it is far too mild in its description of Trump. He's worse than that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy said:

Very nicely written OP, but it has one serious flaw: it is far too mild in its description of Trump. He's worse than that.

Agree and it makes me angry how disrespectful Trump is to the office he was elected to.

Two years down the track and he still has not got a fuckin clue.

15 hours ago, dacapo said:

From the man who headed up a company pumping millions into climate change denial, while privy to information showing that his company was killing the planet as we know it.

Is deceptive and misleading conduct breaking the law?

Nice one Rexy, you take the moral high ground now!

8 hours ago, Nailing Malarkey Too said:

Obama was this kid that world leaders could smile at while using him for a doormat. 

So they all dislike Trump? Maybe that has something to do with the fact he can't be manipulated like "I apologize for America, now, how can I appease you" Obama. 

-----------------

Here is my take on Cohen.  The last thing he would have done is say "Hey Donald, I'm raking in a couple million promising access to you in the white house, Cool huh?". 

Why do I think that? Because Trump is a billionaire and president. Even if Cohen offered to split the take you don't risk your billions, the presidency and jail for a measly couple million under the table. (four days of income for Trump).

Almost a certainty that Cohen was doing this in secret. Any hint to Trump and the WH staff would be his undoing and ultimately it turned out that way. So even if Cohen claims Trump was in on it what jury will believe it. 

The analogy is Tom Brady's PR manager gets busted for running a fake memorabilia operation that raked in 200,000. (100K to Tom's 200 Mil is about equal to 2 Mil of Trump's 4 billion)

The PR guy says hey cut my sentence and I'll finger Brady as a co-conspirator. 

Do you think a jury will buy that Tom risked jail, getting cut from the Patriots, and the humiliation for a measly 100 K? 

Why do you believe Tillerson thinks civilian leaders are “morons”?

Are you confusing Tillerson with Mattis and/or Kelly?

Other than that, what you said is just a steaming pile of Malarkey.

But, it is nice that having such a buffoon in the WH makes you Happy, Jack. 

15 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Agree and it makes me angry how disrespectful Trump is to the office he was elected to.

Seventy Two years down the track and he still has not got a fuckin clue.

FIFY

• Like 1