Sign in to follow this  
nolatom

Is big tech no longer our friend? CSM article

I can typically trust the Monitor to walk down the middle and relate it to us intelligently.  Other national media, um, not so much..

Hence this article might be of interest: 

https://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2018/1206/How-ads-hijacked-the-dream-of-the-internet.-Can-digital-citizens-fight-back

Tech, lately (especially since the NYTimes article about Facebook hijinks on the down-low) has been seen as a sneaky deceiver and oppressor rather than a bringer of freedom, communication, equality, and light.  This has concerned otherwise traditionally tech-friendly Democrats in particular, but also and increasingly, society in general, that tech for all its usefulness and ubiquitousness, may not be our friend, but rather a manipulator and coverer-upper.

I'm not sure this has been talked about as much as it might, in the midst of mid-terms and then the usual Mueller investigation noise, but it probably deserves to be.  The railroads and the Bell phone network started out as freedom to travel, communicate,  and advance society too, but ended up being trusts that had to be regulated and broken up.

Is that where we're headed?   

3 hours ago, nolatom said:

I can typically trust the Monitor to walk down the middle and relate it to us intelligently.  Other national media, um, not so much..

Hence this article might be of interest: 

https://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2018/1206/How-ads-hijacked-the-dream-of-the-internet.-Can-digital-citizens-fight-back

Tech, lately (especially since the NYTimes article about Facebook hijinks on the down-low) has been seen as a sneaky deceiver and oppressor rather than a bringer of freedom, communication, equality, and light.  This has concerned otherwise traditionally tech-friendly Democrats in particular, but also and increasingly, society in general, that tech for all its usefulness and ubiquitousness, may not be our friend, but rather a manipulator and coverer-upper.

I'm not sure this has been talked about as much as it might, in the midst of mid-terms and then the usual Mueller investigation noise, but it probably deserves to be.  The railroads and the Bell phone network started out as freedom to travel, communicate,  and advance society too, but ended up being trusts that had to be regulated and broken up.

Is that where we're headed?   

The repeal of net neutrality is just the start of that slippery slope.

Tech has never been my friend.

I still use an analog Volt/Ohm meter....

I don't care for digital clocks.

I will admit that I've been sucked in by the internet, but when I'm away for more than a day or so it really fades away...... Until I return....

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

we are the product.

when was the product ever the friend of the store?

When it was the key to the front door.