Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

Social Security "increase"

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

WTF!

It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

Does saying ‘operator’ or pressing ‘0’ work, or is it one of those phone trees that sends you back to previous ‘choices’?

18 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

WTF!

email works well with them....I suspect it will be up by 2.8 % in your first payment....errrr...orrrr....Trump has been reading your posts...you are fuck'd then

23 minutes ago, Amati said:

Does saying ‘operator’ or pressing ‘0’ work, or is it one of those phone trees that sends you back to previous ‘choices’?

No. It just hangs up on you. "Goodbye CLICK"

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

Jesus....go to your local SS office....as I said...your first SS check will be correct without doing anything....you really called your Congressman's office.....SMH...well in your case wasting your Congressman's time is probably a good thing

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

Oh...you must have skipped over the small print...the reduction is your contribution/share of The Wall 

23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Nah, those are grief  counselors for folks who can't think or do numbers when they are young.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

WTF!

Ravens lost yesterday, a lot of folks in Woodlawn called in sick.

31 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

No. It just hangs up on you. "Goodbye CLICK"

Some systems do that when the queue exceeds some preset time. 

42 minutes ago, hermetic said:

you on medicare as well?  it got more expensive for 2019

It went up, but not by the amount of the increase I was supposed to see.

This is the 2nd year that I've gotten a letter saying my benefits were going up, but my payments went down.

58 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Nah, those are grief  counselors for folks who can't think or do numbers when they are young.

You're speaking from experience I take it?

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

This is the 2nd year that I've gotten a letter saying my benefits were going up, but my payments went down.

Republican economics

4 years ago I was told the cost of living didn't go up, so there'd be no increase..... But it went up by $3 a month....

Oh..... Right..... Obamacare maxed out that year......

3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You're speaking from experience I take it?

Nah, SS is just gravy.  I planned my retirement long, long ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Mrleft8 said:

4 years ago I was told the cost of living didn't go up, so there'd be no increase..... But it went up by $3 a month....

Tax changes and medicare A, B and D deductions can account for that.

13 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Nah, SS is just gravy.  I planned my retirement long, long ago.

Apparently you also learned to completely miss the point long, long ago.

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

7 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

this is why you don't want the government involved in HC

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Medicare has been flawless. My private company supplemental program far less so.

14 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Medicare has been flawless. My private company supplemental program far less so.

I have not signed onto Medicare yet...still using my working wife's deluxe private insurance...

Medicare has been wonderful.

But the SS part of the equation has, for the last couple of years, been perplexing.

When I moved from New England to Florida, I expected a slight decrease in the cost of living.....

Not every damn year since then, and considering they claim I'm getting an increase, when I get less, I just don't understand.

Why tell me I'm getting a 2.8% increase, and then charge me 14% more for my medicare? It's just fucking smoke and mirrors.

8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Medicare has been wonderful.

But the SS part of the equation has, for the last couple of years, been perplexing.

When I moved from New England to Florida, I expected a slight decrease in the cost of living.....

Not every damn year since then, and considering they claim I'm getting an increase, when I get less, I just don't understand.

Why tell me I'm getting a 2.8% increase, and then charge me 14% more for my medicare? It's just fucking smoke and mirrors.

Where you live shouldn't be a factor in COLA.....you get what you get in SS no matter where you live

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Where you live shouldn't be a factor in COLA.....you get what you get in SS no matter where you live

Tell that to them.

They look at where you live.

San Francisco costs a lot more than butt fuck Arkansas.

San Francisco costs a lot more than butt fuck Arkansas

You might want to tailor your pejoratives post by post. :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

WTF!

Time to fire them and go with a competing retirement planning firm.

2 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Time to fire them and go with a competing retirement planning firm.

They are worse,   When my Dad died SS was on the ball, sympathetic and efficient.   The brokerage house did their best to get my mom in trouble with the IRS with illegal distributions, failure to make minimal distributions, and multiple other errors.   

1 minute ago, Lark said:

They are worse,   When my Dad died SS was on the ball, sympathetic and efficient.   The brokerage house did their best to get my mom in trouble with the IRS with illegal distributions, failure to make minimal distributions, and multiple other errors.   

My father had a trust and his broker just asked me who the new Trustee is.

The IRS, on the other hand, continues to pester me for more information about this mysterious-to-them trust. That has had a tax ID number they assigned for many decades.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently you also learned to completely miss the point long, long ago.

Apparently you never learned to make one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:
4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that if they hired enough people to be johnny-on-the-spot, you'd think that was wasteful expense

-DSK

1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

Apparently you never learned to make one.

Once again, you're assuming a lack of understanding on your part is the fault of someone else. Some of us got the point. The issue wasn't one of communication.

16 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
16 hours ago, hermetic said:

you on medicare as well?  it got more expensive for 2019

do you have a percent of the benefit withheld for taxes?

9 minutes ago, hermetic said:

do you have a percent of the benefit withheld for taxes?

yes.

EDIT: No.

(mistake)

The part D prescription drug plan went up, as did the Medicare...

18 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

WTF!

Ain’t big govt bureaucracies great?  I think we ought to make the ones we have bigger and add some more of them.  That’ll solve our problems!

13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that if they hired enough people to be johnny-on-the-spot, you'd think that was wasteful expense

-DSK

I am not the one calling for Johnny on the spot SS....dufus is confused about his 2.8%...dollars to donuts he'll get his 2.8%  like all the rest,it's a simple math calculation that will hit everyone getting SS....as I suggested email his question/concern and in a few days at the most he'll get a answer...or go down to the closet SS office... 

18 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

No amount of people on the phones will ever fix that issue.  From getting the phone number digits mixed up to not being able to remember the soc number, a call that I could finish in under a minute will take many elderly 30 minutes to get through.  And at the end the question that might be asked is likely to not even be related, like the medicare 'add-on' coverage from a private company.

It's a different world when a huge percentage of the population is over the age at which they can be reasonably expected to remember their birthday.

12 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Once again, you're assuming a lack of understanding on your part is the fault of someone else. Some of us got the point. The issue wasn't one of communication.

You know, from time to time I think Saorsa and Dog must be smarter than us all - because they've gotta be getting paid for the stuff they post.  NO one can be that dense and that wrong all the time unless they're being paid to act like it.

16 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

No amount of people on the phones will ever fix that issue.  From getting the phone number digits mixed up to not being able to remember the soc number, a call that I could finish in under a minute will take many elderly 30 minutes to get through.  And at the end the question that might be asked is likely to not even be related, like the medicare 'add-on' coverage from a private company.

It's a different world when a huge percentage of the population is over the age at which they can be reasonably expected to remember their birthday.

Wait until you get old!

:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

You know, from time to time I think Saorsa and Dog must be smarter than us all - because they've gotta be getting paid for the stuff they post.  NO one can be that dense and that wrong all the time unless they're being paid to act like it.

If they are being paid to act a certain way, they are deserving of an Oscar.  They have disappeared into their roles.

5 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

If they are being paid to act a certain way, they are deserving of an Oscar.  They have disappeared into their roles.

Method actors have to be careful they don't fall down the rabbit hole... I think Saorsa and Dog long ago fell through to wonderland.

im-the-dude-playing-the-dude-disguised-a

Just got my benefit statement from SS.  My net increase after Medicare and federal income tax are taken out is about $48 a month. Not going to cover Porsche payment or buy me a new sail, but not too shabby either. Especially welcome as my pension is tied to stock market performance. Given where the market closed on Friday there is not likely to be an increase in my pension check and may well be a slight decrease. 

On 12/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Grrr... said:
On 12/10/2018 at 11:12 PM, Bent Sailor said:

I toy with the theory that some of the rightie posters here are actually lefties..... far far left, maybe Bolshies.... who are actually working to make "The Right" look stupid and dishonest. But they are so-o sincere, it would be very difficult to maintain that belief

-DSK

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Just got my benefit statement from SS.  My net increase after Medicare and federal income tax are taken out is about $48 a month. Not going to cover Porsche payment or buy me a new sail, but not too shabby either. Especially welcome as my pension is tied to stock market performance. Given where the market closed on Friday there is not likely to be an increase in my pension check and may well be a slight decrease. 

I'm guessing the cost of living in Michigan went up more than the COL went up in North Florida.

From 7 years ago I've had a drop of over $50 in benefits..... Per month.....

14 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm guessing the cost of living in Michigan went up more than the COL went up in North Florida.

From 7 years ago I've had a drop of over $50 in benefits..... Per month.....

Someone must not like you.

I've had years where there was no COL increase but never had a decrease.

it is my understanding that COL increases are made on a national level based on 3rd quarter of the year inflation numbers.FyI, I'm on the WI side of Lake Michigan.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mrleft8 said:

Good luck with that is you are in Yoo Hoo for Yoho’s district. 

12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not according to yahoo.... I'm in Dunn's district, even though Yahoo was on my ballot, and I didn't vote for him..... I found that very curious.

On 12/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, Lark said:

I worked with a certain FI that called that tactic "Pop's in the Box". They'll take care of it for you so long as you don't move the money.

25 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:
39 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Not according to yahoo.... I'm in Dunn's district, even though Yahoo was on my ballot, and I didn't vote for him..... I found that very curious.

Don't tell them that when you call, the staff for Florida's second stupidest congressman1 really won't help you then.

1 I firmly believe Matt "DUI" Gaetz gets the win for that over Ted "3/5ths" Yoho2.

2 To be fair to Ted Yoohoo, something I don't really enjoy doing, he didn't really say that black citizens should have 3/5ths of a vote, only that property owners should be the only ones allowed to vote