Sign in to follow this  
Mrleft8

Social Security "increase"

Recommended Posts

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

 So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

 SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

 Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

 

WTF!

 It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does saying ‘operator’ or pressing ‘0’ work, or is it one of those phone trees that sends you back to previous ‘choices’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

 So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

 SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

 Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

 

WTF!

 It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

email works well with them....I suspect it will be up by 2.8 % in your first payment....errrr...orrrr....Trump has been reading your posts...you are fuck'd then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Amati said:

Does saying ‘operator’ or pressing ‘0’ work, or is it one of those phone trees that sends you back to previous ‘choices’?

No. It just hangs up on you. "Goodbye CLICK"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

Jesus....go to your local SS office....as I said...your first SS check will be correct without doing anything....you really called your Congressman's office.....SMH...well in your case wasting your Congressman's time is probably a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

Oh...you must have skipped over the small print...the reduction is your contribution/share of The Wall 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

Nah, those are grief  counselors for folks who can't think or do numbers when they are young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

 So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

 SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

 Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

 

WTF!

 It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

Ravens lost yesterday, a lot of folks in Woodlawn called in sick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

No. It just hangs up on you. "Goodbye CLICK"

Some systems do that when the queue exceeds some preset time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, hermetic said:

you on medicare as well?  it got more expensive for 2019

 

It went up, but not by the amount of the increase I was supposed to see.

 This is the 2nd year that I've gotten a letter saying my benefits were going up, but my payments went down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Nah, those are grief  counselors for folks who can't think or do numbers when they are young.

You're speaking from experience I take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mrleft8 said:

It went up, but not by the amount of the increase I was supposed to see.

 This is the 2nd year that I've gotten a letter saying my benefits were going up, but my payments went down.

Republican economics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 years ago I was told the cost of living didn't go up, so there'd be no increase..... But it went up by $3 a month....

 Oh..... Right..... Obamacare maxed out that year......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You're speaking from experience I take it?

Nah, SS is just gravy.  I planned my retirement long, long ago.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mrleft8 said:

4 years ago I was told the cost of living didn't go up, so there'd be no increase..... But it went up by $3 a month....

Tax changes and medicare A, B and D deductions can account for that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Nah, SS is just gravy.  I planned my retirement long, long ago.

Apparently you also learned to completely miss the point long, long ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

this is why you don't want the government involved in HC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

this is why you don't want the government involved in HC

Medicare has been flawless. My private company supplemental program far less so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

Medicare has been flawless. My private company supplemental program far less so.

I have not signed onto Medicare yet...still using my working wife's deluxe private insurance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Medicare has been wonderful.

 But the SS part of the equation has, for the last couple of years, been perplexing.

 When I moved from New England to Florida, I expected a slight decrease in the cost of living.....

 Not every damn year since then, and considering they claim I'm getting an increase, when I get less, I just don't understand.

 Why tell me I'm getting a 2.8% increase, and then charge me 14% more for my medicare? It's just fucking smoke and mirrors.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Medicare has been wonderful.

 But the SS part of the equation has, for the last couple of years, been perplexing.

 When I moved from New England to Florida, I expected a slight decrease in the cost of living.....

 Not every damn year since then, and considering they claim I'm getting an increase, when I get less, I just don't understand.

 Why tell me I'm getting a 2.8% increase, and then charge me 14% more for my medicare? It's just fucking smoke and mirrors.

 

 

Where you live shouldn't be a factor in COLA.....you get what you get in SS no matter where you live

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Where you live shouldn't be a factor in COLA.....you get what you get in SS no matter where you live

Tell that to them.

 They look at where you live.

 San Francisco costs a lot more than butt fuck Arkansas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Francisco costs a lot more than butt fuck Arkansas

You might want to tailor your pejoratives post by post. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

 So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

 SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

 Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

 

WTF!

 It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

Time to fire them and go with a competing retirement planning firm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dogballs Tom said:

Time to fire them and go with a competing retirement planning firm.

They are worse,   When my Dad died SS was on the ball, sympathetic and efficient.   The brokerage house did their best to get my mom in trouble with the IRS with illegal distributions, failure to make minimal distributions, and multiple other errors.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lark said:

They are worse,   When my Dad died SS was on the ball, sympathetic and efficient.   The brokerage house did their best to get my mom in trouble with the IRS with illegal distributions, failure to make minimal distributions, and multiple other errors.   

My father had a trust and his broker just asked me who the new Trustee is.

The IRS, on the other hand, continues to pester me for more information about this mysterious-to-them trust. That has had a tax ID number they assigned for many decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Apparently you also learned to completely miss the point long, long ago.

Apparently you never learned to make one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:
4 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

this is why you don't want the government involved in HC

Somehow, I get the feeling that if they hired enough people to be johnny-on-the-spot, you'd think that was wasteful expense

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saorsa said:

 Apparently you never learned to make one.

Once again, you're assuming a lack of understanding on your part is the fault of someone else. Some of us got the point. The issue wasn't one of communication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:
16 hours ago, hermetic said:

you on medicare as well?  it got more expensive for 2019

 

It went up, but not by the amount of the increase I was supposed to see.

 This is the 2nd year that I've gotten a letter saying my benefits were going up, but my payments went down.

do you have a percent of the benefit withheld for taxes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hermetic said:

do you have a percent of the benefit withheld for taxes?

yes.

EDIT: No.

(mistake)

The part D prescription drug plan went up, as did the Medicare...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

According to a letter I just got from SS..... My benefits increased by 2.8% this year..... Yet somehow my monthly benefit dropped by $12.00.....

 So I called the SS 800 number. After a 5 minute menu I was prompted to say a few words to help direct my call.

Me: "Speak to a representative"...

 SS: "So, I think you said you wanted to speak to a person, is that correct?"

 Me: "Yes"

SS: "sorry, there is no one available to speak to you at this time. Good bye." Click.

 

WTF!

 It's 2:30 on a Monday afternoon..... No one's there?

Ain’t big govt bureaucracies great?  I think we ought to make the ones we have bigger and add some more of them.  That’ll solve our problems!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Somehow, I get the feeling that if they hired enough people to be johnny-on-the-spot, you'd think that was wasteful expense

-DSK

I am not the one calling for Johnny on the spot SS....dufus is confused about his 2.8%...dollars to donuts he'll get his 2.8%  like all the rest,it's a simple math calculation that will hit everyone getting SS....as I suggested email his question/concern and in a few days at the most he'll get a answer...or go down to the closet SS office... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

My wide is having some issues with SS.  Wait time on the 800# was 40 minutes.  Not the best "customer service."

No amount of people on the phones will ever fix that issue.  From getting the phone number digits mixed up to not being able to remember the soc number, a call that I could finish in under a minute will take many elderly 30 minutes to get through.  And at the end the question that might be asked is likely to not even be related, like the medicare 'add-on' coverage from a private company.

It's a different world when a huge percentage of the population is over the age at which they can be reasonably expected to remember their birthday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bent Sailor said:

Once again, you're assuming a lack of understanding on your part is the fault of someone else. Some of us got the point. The issue wasn't one of communication.

You know, from time to time I think Saorsa and Dog must be smarter than us all - because they've gotta be getting paid for the stuff they post.  NO one can be that dense and that wrong all the time unless they're being paid to act like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

No amount of people on the phones will ever fix that issue.  From getting the phone number digits mixed up to not being able to remember the soc number, a call that I could finish in under a minute will take many elderly 30 minutes to get through.  And at the end the question that might be asked is likely to not even be related, like the medicare 'add-on' coverage from a private company.

It's a different world when a huge percentage of the population is over the age at which they can be reasonably expected to remember their birthday.

Wait until you get old!

:rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

You know, from time to time I think Saorsa and Dog must be smarter than us all - because they've gotta be getting paid for the stuff they post.  NO one can be that dense and that wrong all the time unless they're being paid to act like it.

If they are being paid to act a certain way, they are deserving of an Oscar.  They have disappeared into their roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

If they are being paid to act a certain way, they are deserving of an Oscar.  They have disappeared into their roles.

Method actors have to be careful they don't fall down the rabbit hole... I think Saorsa and Dog long ago fell through to wonderland.

im-the-dude-playing-the-dude-disguised-a

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my benefit statement from SS.  My net increase after Medicare and federal income tax are taken out is about $48 a month. Not going to cover Porsche payment or buy me a new sail, but not too shabby either. Especially welcome as my pension is tied to stock market performance. Given where the market closed on Friday there is not likely to be an increase in my pension check and may well be a slight decrease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Grrr... said:
On 12/10/2018 at 11:12 PM, Bent Sailor said:

Once again, you're assuming a lack of understanding on your part is the fault of someone else. Some of us got the point. The issue wasn't one of communication.

You know, from time to time I think Saorsa and Dog must be smarter than us all - because they've gotta be getting paid for the stuff they post.  NO one can be that dense and that wrong all the time unless they're being paid to act like it.

I toy with the theory that some of the rightie posters here are actually lefties..... far far left, maybe Bolshies.... who are actually working to make "The Right" look stupid and dishonest. But they are so-o sincere, it would be very difficult to maintain that belief

-DSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Just got my benefit statement from SS.  My net increase after Medicare and federal income tax are taken out is about $48 a month. Not going to cover Porsche payment or buy me a new sail, but not too shabby either. Especially welcome as my pension is tied to stock market performance. Given where the market closed on Friday there is not likely to be an increase in my pension check and may well be a slight decrease. 

I'm guessing the cost of living in Michigan went up more than the COL went up in North Florida.

 From 7 years ago I've had a drop of over $50 in benefits..... Per month.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

I'm guessing the cost of living in Michigan went up more than the COL went up in North Florida.

 From 7 years ago I've had a drop of over $50 in benefits..... Per month.....

Someone must not like you.

I've had years where there was no COL increase but never had a decrease.

it is my understanding that COL increases are made on a national level based on 3rd quarter of the year inflation numbers.FyI, I'm on the WI side of Lake Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 2:23 PM, Mrleft8 said:

I just called my congressman's office. They were going to send a "Community outreach team" to come talk to me about the situation.....:rolleyes:

Good luck with that is you are in Yoo Hoo for Yoho’s district. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Good luck with that is you are in Yoo Hoo for Yoho’s district. 

Not according to yahoo.... I'm in Dunn's district, even though Yahoo was on my ballot, and I didn't vote for him..... I found that very curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, Lark said:

They are worse,   When my Dad died SS was on the ball, sympathetic and efficient.   The brokerage house did their best to get my mom in trouble with the IRS with illegal distributions, failure to make minimal distributions, and multiple other errors.   

I worked with a certain FI that called that tactic "Pop's in the Box". They'll take care of it for you so long as you don't move the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:
39 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Good luck with that is you are in Yoo Hoo for Yoho’s district. 

Not according to yahoo.... I'm in Dunn's district, even though Yahoo was on my ballot, and I didn't vote for him..... I found that very curious.

Don't tell them that when you call, the staff for Florida's second stupidest congressman1 really won't help you then.

 

 

1 I firmly believe Matt "DUI" Gaetz gets the win for that over Ted "3/5ths" Yoho2.

2 To be fair to Ted Yoohoo, something I don't really enjoy doing, he didn't really say that black citizens should have 3/5ths of a vote, only that property owners should be the only ones allowed to vote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this