Sign in to follow this  
martin.langhoff

SuperFoiler Season 2

Not sure whether this is being discussed / tracked anywhere else. I am finding it a ton of fun. There's 3 teams -- Euroflex, Record Point, Tech2 -- very close in performance. Errors, tactics, crossing traffic and windshifts do the rest.

The boats have an elusive high-gear groove, on some legs there's a boat or two that just dart off. It must be maddening to sail. It's gorgeous to watch.

The editing skips ahead liberally, so it looks even more magic than it actually is. But whatever. It's damn good entertainment, and crazy sailing.

14 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Will be interesting to see who turns up to sail this year.  

Yeah, other than Nate Outteridge, Goobs, and Glenn Ashby. 

13 minutes ago, martin.langhoff said:

Yeah, other than Nate Outteridge, Goobs, and Glenn Ashby. 

I'd be shocked if they were there this year.  They're all a lot busier than this time last year.

Ok after checking their schedule, it's clear that I am a tool. They're publishing better edits of their season 1 races. They're great. But it's the same old races.

Will there be a second season? Lots of competition in the cool foiler racing department. 

37 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

Will there be a second season? Lots of competition in the cool foiler racing department. 

Yes, they have built a few more boats also

can't help but think they've done a deal to be on the Ten network again this summer.  Nothing like some cross promotion.

Translation...

There is nobody available of any note to sail our boats because there are better things for them to do. We also need to find enough money to sort out the problems on the boat. We just about got away with it last time because it was new but if we can't work out how to make the racing closer next time, nobody will watch. We also need a raft of new sponsors who aren't put off by so many sponsors from series 1 not continuing.

A guy I work with used to work for the Australian Olympic team looking after the boats etc, he and another guy were asked to come work for the Superfoiler GP in the same role, they had some interest so went to see the boats being built and could not get out of there fast enough, with his final comment being "you can't build a $500,000 boat for $50,000 and expect it to be a success"

that's just a shame.  I did enjoy watching the first season and was amazed.  

I thought they were potentially off to a good start if other teams could have figured out how to sail the things effectively but overall costs may have put the series into a sponsorship no-mans land, between the very affordable and 18 foot skiffs and the fancy, international SailGP series. The latter might actually be in sponsorship la-la land but they have Larry Ellison so we won't know for a few years.  

What a shame !

Over christmas i was talking to someone involved with the project who said they had Glen Ashby working with them on some refined foil shapes to make the boat a bit more stable / predictable . 

They got completely eclipsed on attention and talent-draw by SailGP. Game over far too soon. Little to do with the concept or equipment and a lot to do with a world in which there are suddenly two fully foiling America's Cups at once. The endgame should be to sell the whole thing to the extreme sailing series and get them out of those abysmal GC32s.

DRC

edit. A heroes burial is owed to Jack and Bill's effort here. The whole thing took more willpower than most people ever muster.

• Like 3

Spot on Dave Clark.

Foiling tech has moved so fast by the time they got it going there was something / someone else competing for the market... I feel for anyone losing that kind of $ .... bugger.... 

10 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

They got completely eclipsed on attention and talent-draw by SailGP. Game over far too soon. Little to do with the concept or equipment and a lot to do with a world in which there are suddenly two fully foiling America's Cups at once. The endgame should be to sell the whole thing to the extreme sailing series and get them out of those abysmal GC32s.

DRC

edit. A heroes burial is owed to Jack and Bill's effort here. The whole thing took more willpower than most people ever muster.

You're completely wrong on the facts DC about everything except for Jack and Bill's effort, which was herculean by any account.

Far as I can tell from everyone is that the boat was simply a piece of shit from every aspect.   If it was decent, there are any number of mothies and 18 boys who would have done a great job, they had more production money than the 18s so they had a start!

No one watched SailGP either. I forgot there even is an EXSS anymore.

16 hours ago, Dave Clark said:

DRC

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You're completely wrong on the facts DC about everything except for Jack and Bill's effort, which was herculean by any account.

Far as I can tell from everyone is that the boat was simply a piece of shit from every aspect.   If it was decent, there are any number of mothies and 18 boys who would have done a great job, they had more production money than the 18s so they had a start!

No one watched SailGP either. I forgot there even is an EXSS anymore.

Funny thing is I think you both are right and make valid points

Moth guys would find it way easier to compete in their own class rather than joining forces to sail superfoilers. They are a smart bunch with many involved in aspects of design of either the foils / boats or sails and would two out of every three want to crew for the 3rd guy.... ?

90% of the Sydney 18 boys don't regularly or haven't foiled much and  they also have a good gig where boats are paid so they would struggle to get involved in what superfoilers were to be.... 

Shame all around ....

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:25 AM, Dave Clark said:

yeah, cause the GC32 is a terrible boat.... Here's and idea Dave:- How about you shut the fuck up until you have designed, developed and created a class that is good enough for some of the worlds top professional and owner driven teams to not only buy the boats, but to commit to racing and supporting the class for season after season. If it were truly so abysmal as you say, I don't think they would be spending their time and money on it.

have a nice day..

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, macca said:

yeah, cause the GC32 is a terrible boat.... Here's and idea Dave:- How about you shut the fuck up until you have designed, developed and created a class that is good enough for some of the worlds top professional and owner driven teams to not only buy the boats, but to commit to racing and supporting the class for season after season. If it were truly so abysmal as you say, I don't think they would be spending their time and money on it.

have a nice day..

Whoa Macca!  Dave is a good guy and like you speaks his mind even when he is not well-informed, so lighten up!  Don't want two of my friends beating each other up when they both do good things for boat owners and the sport in general.

Anyone who was around the first Argo in Newport and KW got to see firsthand how many times it broke and how much the crew bitched about it, and plenty of RI area folks are colored by that impression.  

1 hour ago, macca said:

have a nice day..

Mr. Macpherson you have my complete and utter apology. I try to keep a lid on my critical impulses online because as a rule I think critiquing stuff from a distance is an unacceptably lazy and immorally negative thing to do. All it does is drag good effort down. My sadness and frustration over the premature collapse of the superfoiler got the better of me on this one and I broke my own rule. The superfoiler's performance around the course was just too good and it kills me to see it scrapped already. I don't have any specific issue at all with the GC32 and it has suited its circuit well and clearly the sponsors and sailors are happy, so there's really nothing to criticize. I shouldn't have said that and I am sorry.

DRC

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Dave Clark said:

Mr. Macpherson you have my complete and utter apology. I try to keep a lid on my critical impulses online because as a rule I think critiquing stuff from a distance is an unacceptably lazy and immorally negative thing to do. All it does is drag good effort down. My sadness and frustration over the premature collapse of the superfoiler got the better of me on this one and I broke my own rule. The superfoiler's performance around the course was just too good and it kills me to see it scrapped already. I don't have any specific issue at all with the GC32 and it has suited its circuit well and clearly the sponsors and sailors are happy, so there's really nothing to criticize. I shouldn't have said that and I am sorry.

DRC

Holy shit, my scolding actually worked for once?  Nice. 

I would love to see a video of the superfoiler's performance being 'just too good' for more than 15 seconds at a time.  Seriously, I have not yet seen that yet.

I thought the one race I watched arou d Sydney was pretty spectacular. 

I did enjoy season one...and yes, they edited the heck out of the video footage, but so what?  Who watched America's cup races when 12 kt monomarans were lee bowing each other up the course?  I'm not a fan of SailGP...too much machine and not enough sailor (at least that is what it looks like from the comfort of my chair).  Superfoilers OTOH, were more sailor and less machine; plus a smaller number of crew who have to do lots of stuff right.  The venue's were fun, too, since they raced in whatever wind there was so you got to see what they did to sail non foiling as well as what they had to do to get to foiling and the different angles they took in the two modes.  Fun to watch their minds work.

• Like 2

Very sad to see the demise of this great attempt to make the superfoilers work! Sail GP unfortunatly for SF, has the backing and the world circuit to play with. Sydney & San Fran were spectacular, but it remains to be seen how they will look in non foiling breeze?  Cheers all. PS Little AC also seems to have had its day?

Headline: Series Powered By Fantasy Ends In Most Cliché Way Possible

• Like 1

That’s happening everywhere along lakes in NSW and Qld, basically the same stickers used at Lake Cootharaba in Qld a couple of weeks ago. Heaven forbid someone should leave their boat and trailer set up opposite the big Belmont Skiff Club, I was there about two months ago and it was full of poker machines, I bet if someone parked a car and trailer there with a sign saying busy playing poker machines for a week, they would have their car washed and buffed when they came back

On 12/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

Headline: Series Powered By Fantasy Ends In Most Cliché Way Possible

Somehow the good Rev William Collins describing the Lady Catherine de Bourgh comes to mind here....

4 hours ago, madboutcats said:

That’s happening everywhere along lakes in NSW and Qld, basically the same stickers used at Lake Cootharaba in Qld a couple of weeks ago. Heaven forbid someone should leave their boat and trailer set up opposite the big Belmont Skiff Club, I was there about two months ago and it was full of poker machines, I bet if someone parked a car and trailer there with a sign saying busy playing poker machines for a week, they would have their car washed and buffed when they came back

If you can ignore the pokies the lamb shanks aren’t bad......

Can’t complain about the food at all, we were just driving to Wildcat from South Aus so dropped in for a feed but it’s obvious the Skiff Club bit is a tax dodge for the poker machines, it must distress them seeing a super cool boat left set up so someone could heaven forbid sail it