Sign in to follow this  
Lark

British civil law

Can one of our resident Limey’s promote cross cultural understanding?   This isn’t a “who’s worse” thread (the Brits are.   :D).   It’s an attempt to understand British law as shown on a Reality show “Can’t pay, well take it away” on Netflix.  

As portrayed on TV, the repo man is a representative of the ‘crown’, a high court bailiff, instead of a private contractor.    He has the power of the government behind him.

Renters already in the eviction process can have the evictions sped up to the point they only get an hour of warning despite a lower court giving them a move out date weeks away.   They may or may not be eligible for a homeless shelter.

Respectable people and corporations can have assets siezed but retain use, common people have it taken away. 

People can be judged against, without knowledge? And have a government repo man show up to sieze all assets at an address unless somebody else is able to show receipts and prove the assets aren’t owned by the deadbeat. 

I’ve been the landlord.   I was a disadvantaged tennant decades ago.   The sewer repeatedly backed up from tree roots, so I was charged a damage deposit.   Lacking lawyer money, I acquiesced.  I’ve been the victim of bankruptcy and deadbeats.   I also know a lot of people just getting by,    It appears Britain is just as screwed up, with just as many ‘left behind” but with less tenant or individual protection then most US states allow.   Maybe that’s why your voters and ours both screwed up the countries in revenge.   

7 hours ago, Lark said:

Renters already in the eviction process can have the evictions sped up to the point they only get an hour of warning despite a lower court giving them a move out date weeks away.

Wow. That would not fly in Florida.

I participate in a couple of landlord discussion groups and laws vary widely. If someone violates a lease, I can get an eviction in a month or so if I'm lucky and careful, more likely about two months. In other states, landlords seem to have virtually no such rights. I see horror stories of evictions that drag on for years, during which time the landlord has to pay the utilities. And the tenants crank the heat or air conditioning and wreck the place the whole time.

There are some very scared landlords in these groups.

My takeaway: most tenants are good! This has to be true. Any tenant in those states could act like the problem tenants and there would be no rental market. But there are thriving rental markets. So the vast majority don't act that way, though they could. They don't want to steal housing, they want to purchase it. This completely unsurprising conclusion surprises hell out of some.

3 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

Wow. That would not fly in Florida.

I participate in a couple of landlord discussion groups and laws vary widely. If someone violates a lease, I can get an eviction in a month or so if I'm lucky and careful, more likely about two months. In other states, landlords seem to have virtually no such rights. I see horror stories of evictions that drag on for years, during which time the landlord has to pay the utilities. And the tenants crank the heat or air conditioning and wreck the place the whole time.

There are some very scared landlords in these groups.

My takeaway: most tenants are good! This has to be true. Any tenant in those states could act like the problem tenants and there would be no rental market. But there are thriving rental markets. So the vast majority don't act that way, though they could. They don't want to steal housing, they want to purchase it. This completely unsurprising conclusion surprises hell out of some.

I only had one deadbeat tenant I evicted,    I was able to convince her to leave without that long legal nightmare,   I could have faced several months of additional loss.   Indiana isn’t a liberal state,    Britain forces families with kids out in the street when they planned on moving out a couple weeks later per lower court order.   The tenant is allowed back in for a few hours in the next week to get remaining property, since they just have time to grab clothes and meds when the enforcer shows up.   The tenants, often immigrants, are dumbfounded and holding the legal papers saying they have two more weeks or whatever.    Predictably some are slums with rent withheld for mold covered ceilings or other other maintenance failures.