Hold Fast

Sun Fast 3300

18 hours ago, Fastrak said:

Here you can see the bow comparisons between the new Sun Fast 3300 on the left and the outgoing Sun Fast 3200 on the right. I can confirm after sailing the boat today that the 3300 goes very nicely, thank you, upwind in light airs and flat water. Very light and responsive on the helm. We hope for some more varied conditions in the next few days.

3200 & 3300.jpg

Great shot ....really explains the difference

Hay FastraK . whatever happened to the Rodgers Classe 950

On 4/6/2019 at 8:03 AM, Fastrak said:

Here you can see the bow comparisons between the new Sun Fast 3300 on the left and the outgoing Sun Fast 3200 on the right. I can confirm after sailing the boat today that the 3300 goes very nicely, thank you, upwind in light airs and flat water. Very light and responsive on the helm. We hope for some more varied conditions in the next few days.

3200 & 3300.jpg

I love how hull developments have progressed and filtered thru various projects over time. Nothing is more clear IMO than watching 3200 & 3300 or the 6.5s (I attached a shot that shows the Pogo 2/3/Ofcet.

In the Mini scene this season, the Raison 6.5s have been adapted to be part of the series fleet instead of the proto and new boat launches have been nearly all prototypes or Raisons this year (Pogo 3 & Ofcet virtually nonexistent). Perhaps in a couple more years we'll see the what happens in the next wave of non-foiling hulls. 

Lombard is working on a class 40 for Lipinski too.

Capture.png

On 4/6/2019 at 6:03 AM, Fastrak said:

"upwind in light airs and flat water"

Hahaha yyyyyyyup... if only that is all we ever sailed in. Isn't this supposed to be a CRUISER racer? If so, the pounding might get old if you, god forbid, ever had to go upwind while cruising.

~him

15 hours ago, him&her said:

Hahaha yyyyyyyup... if only that is all we ever sailed in. Isn't this supposed to be a CRUISER racer? If so, the pounding might get old if you, god forbid, ever had to go upwind while cruising.

~him

Gentlemen DON'T cruise to windward!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, him&her said:

~him

I love that pounding sound, it means I am going fast. Going fast never gets old. 

You in your 4kn shitbox on the other hand...  :angry:

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, huey 2 said:

Hay FastraK . whatever happened to the Rodgers Classe 950

Hi Huey - The 950 was potentially a great project. We got as far as building a hull mould and deck plugs, and they are sitting somewhere going green on the Esast Coast in the UK. It was part a training project but other stuff got in the way of getting it splashed.

Well, I can now confirm that this boat goes well upwind in a chop. With a bit of heel she is very dry, and slams no more than any other boat, and the upwind speed is very respectable for the size of boat. Plus, she is no slouch downwind!!! A very interesting boat and any pre-trial concerns I had are being blown away!!

Downwind.jpg

Upwind.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fastrak said:

Upwind.jpg

Impressive numbers for a 33 footer (assuming my French is right), 31 deg TWA is quite something. 

53 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Impressive numbers for a 33 footer (assuming my French is right), 31 deg TWA is quite something. 

More than likely “quite something” of a calibration issue on a brand new boat. 

• Like 1

And on NKE instruments the TWA is without leeway.

On new boats the BSP is always calbrated to please the sales department.

6 hours ago, vikram said:

I am now confused by the backstay(s) arrangement and what looks like plumbing for water ballast.

Twin topmast backstays for a square top main and yes it has water ballast

Can anything (this is intentionally vague!) be made of the results in the Spi Ouest-France in IRC Double as between these new boats SF3300, JPK1030, and J/99? 

Sun Fast world cup.

The SF3300 made an appearance. No idea if it raced or not.  Would be nice to see how it compared with the other SF's.

you can find them on: https://evenements.ouest-france.fr/spi/resultats-spi-ouest-france-2019/

select "SPI OUEST FRANCE 2019" then "valider"

in "résultats généraux" select "IRC DOUBLE"

The 3300 is Sapristi in second place behind a JPK1080.

Leon, the JPK1030 has done pretty bad, but I don't have any gossip as to why.

The J/99 is third

• Like 1

Go look at the day by day results in the spi ouest thread. The total result doesn't tell the details. 

Conditions at la Trinité were harry flatters most of the weekend.

While there is certainly a lot of skill, patience and tenacity involved in sailing light air it's not the best way to determine which boats perform best.  Especially high performance boats such as these.  If you want to see how a Ferrari performs you don't take it for a spin around a parking lot.  A Toyota Prius and a Ferrari both go the same speed in a parking lot.  Not meaning to take anything away from those who did well, there is definitely much skill involved in drifting fast.

The order overall on corrected time in the Spi among the "new" boats was (2) SF3300 Sapristi;, (3) J/99 Grassi Bateaux; (18)  JPK 1030 Leon, but, as has been pointed out, the winds were apparently light all weekend (non-existent on Sunday?) and the JPK 1030's uneven results (#1 - first overall and on corrected time; #2 - DNF; #3 - 15th; and #4 - 18th) tolled against her.  It could be interesting to see how these new, improved-in-light-air boats fare in heavier winds (this year's Fastnet?). 

From Andrieu Yacht Design on FB

Gascogne 45/5
Quelle démonstration du Sun Fast 3300 !

Sapristi, le Sun Fast 3300 d’Alexandre Ozon, boucle en Solo le parcours de 350 nm avec 1 heure d’avance sur le tout nouveau JPK10.30 mené en Double. Le nouveau J99 également en double finit à plus de 4 heures.
Malheureusement, Sapristi ne sera pas classé, l’Agence Nationale des Fréquences n’ayant pas délivré le No MMSI du bateau avant la clôture des inscriptions.
Alexandre Ozon, tu es notre champion.
Dura lex, sed lex....

Gascoigne 45/5
What a demonstration of the sun fast 3300!

Consarnit, Alexandre Ozon's sun fast 3300, solo loop the course of 350 NM WITH 1 hour ahead of the all-new jpk10. 30 LED in double. The new j99 also in double ends at more than 4 hours.
Unfortunately, consarnit will not be ranked, the national frequency agency has not issued the boat's no mmsi before the closing of the registrations.
Alexandre Ozon, you are our champion.
Dura lex, sed lex....

60723888_1123530661175450_20388753582871

and

Gascogne 45/5
Pointe à 19.2 nds pour le Sun Fast 3300 Sapristi mené en solo par Alexandre Ozon !
Encore un effort Alex, tu n’es qu’à 94% de la polaire 

Gascoigne 45/5
Pointe at 19.2 nds for the sun fast 3300 Consarnit led solo by Alexandre Ozon!
One more effort Alex, you're only 94 % of the polar 

60351603_1123587494503100_60147073771005

While the boat was not officially part of the event because of the mmsi issue, she's on the yellow brick tracker for the Gascoigne 45/5 event. Looks like quite a significant margin reaching against the 3600s. 

What are the rating differences between boats?  Hour ahead corrected or uncorrected?

Google translation of the post from Alex Ozon

Sapristâfront... finally sapristàfond... finally consarnit deep in the forehead...
Offshore Regatta 45/5 organized by the srr of la Rochelle.
It starts bad for me, because the running organization does not valid my registration in the morning before the departure because the boat does not yet have its number mmsi. So big huge disappointment... preparation for nothing and not going to fight with the friends, big frustration... I'm offered to do it as a companion... pff.
Anyway, I'm still going.
What a kif, discovery of this sunfast 3300 in solo and wide in the breeze.
A departure in the middle of the line in 2th curtain so you don't disturb those who officially run.
In Short, the road is not simple because a front will arrive... in the end 3 H later than planned the files. The choice of one of the others... anyway, under spi max it slides nice in mind with the jpk 10.30 léon. In the night peeling for the heavy spi in anticipation of the front. And it's coming back, the sea is getting very crossed and well rotten. But well power
And there consarnit flies, jumps from wave to wave, the numbers get excited... 15, 16, 17 kts under spi heavy, he rather safe, I start considering the the before doing it too much Late... Solo, and so no stakes, so no risk taking. Leon Gracie me from an improvised waltz... uh guys... Z ' are sure it's going like this normally... hot from warm... I continue a little more under spi and I flops then send FOC , everything goes nickel and... Let's go to attack like a big pig all the waves to send consarnit in his limits and find out what he has in the belly the coco... the cow, he sends the trick... Magical runs of madness... and pan of the 16, 17 kts... super steep and repan waves... 19,2 kts... YIAH...
Power atmosphere in donf...
Consarnit will pass the buoy buoy in the head about 2.5 miles in front of léon I jpk 10.30 and 4.9 m in front of the Figaro 2.
Then back to la Rochelle... each one his strategy in the end without knowing we will take the best option by digging on our little comrades... however... the boat is still in the phase of finalizing at the electronic level... no Sound on the computer and just before the island of gb, I have to rest. I'm completely broken, foing all the time, wrong everywhere, eat... anyway, the greater thing to do because the wind must no longer change if it's only limp... so pilot in real wind and nap... Vlatipa that this scoundrel of wind makes me a refusal of more than 90°... obviously consarnit piloted by his pilot makes the rotation... but upside down the road... anyway superb go of seagull... But anything... when I wake up and see the thing... at the start I tell myself what's the construction site... then I understand the basard... oops. Warning... FOC and the spi. And at the meadows... so there bravo... then quiet towards the entrance of the pertuis.. it covers, so sending the A3... Then 2 M before the arrival peel for the spi max.
In Short, arrival 1st of a race... without race...
Consarnit had already demonstrated his potential in the little time at the spi West and now in the breeze... as much as we imagined that it would be a breeze boat, but then I confirm, it's the first time I'm so stunned by a Boat, its attitude in the breeze, its behavior, its speed, just mind-blowing for a boat of less than 10 m.
In the end, we will end 1st in real in front of 37 competitors and 1st in compensated... all this unofficially
Full of the fill, the uncl with his partner offered to the 1st all class, a beautiful high-end watch... Benh... go... it's voucher to my pursuit
Arrived 1st in real as last year on the sunfast 3600 Louise and Thelma... in front of the doubles.. I love it, because it relaunch the eternal debate, double vs solo...
Sacred Nav for a solo discovery of consarnit. I take my marks quietly... and I think that consarnit thought to be a little peaceful career... but just understood that together, our navs will not be rest
Here's congratulations to the 38 boats who have faced conditions not always simple. Beautiful courses of more than 335 miles.
Those who want a boat fun and power and safety... Yapluka past order
What is even more impressive is that we can say what we want but we are not at the max potential of the boat... because we don't know it yet enough.
The future is promising.
Don't hesitate to sail in may... shorts and tank top not recommended... for now

To understand better

https://youtu.be/9iave4fLiXw

• Like 1

From JPK:

Une course de portant et .... de portant !

Et une victoire en double de Gérard Quénot sur le JPK 1030 "léon" et de Stéphane Bodin sur "Wasabi" son fidèle JPK 1010.

"Léon" JPK 1030 
"Léon" JPK 1030

Organisée par la Société des régates Rochelelaises , la Gascogne 45.5 consiste à aller virer une bouée météo 140 milles au large et à revenir sur la Rochelle. Avec 280 milles à parcourir il ne s'agit a priori pas d'un simple aller retour "tout droit" mais bien d'une course semi hauturière avec les évolutions météo à anticiper pour trouver les meilleures trajectoires.

Avec 35 bateaux au départ contre 20 en 2018, la Gascogne 45.5 est une épreuve intéressante surtout pour tous les membres du pôle d'entrainement de la Rochelle qui peuvent mesurer les progrès réalisés durant l'hiver avec les WE d'entrainement intensif organisés tous les 5/6 semaines par leur coach Marc Reyne .

La course va se dérouler tout au portant car avec un vent de Nord puis Nord Ouest puis Ouest voir sud Ouest une fois la bouée 45.5 passée, le spi va rester très souvent en l'air !

Gérard (Quénot) n'ayant pas eu son 1030 à temps pour cette course, il prendra le départ avec Jérôme Apolda sur "Léon", le 1030 que le chantier met à sa disposition. En guise d'entrainement le convoyage express lorient La Rochelle fera l'affaire mais clairement ils ne connaissent pas le bateau au moment du départ donné plein portant dans 15 nds de vent moyen. A distance et avec Jacques Valer nous sommes curieux de voir ce que cela va donner dans ces conditions favorables (la météo avec la rotation prévoit pas mal de reaching) face au bateaux "classiques" type JPK 1010, SF 3200 ou 3600 mais surtout face aux "nouveaux" J 99 et SF 3300, ce dernier étant assez spécifiquement dessiné pour être à l'aise sur ces allures. Le Sun Fast est mené par Alex Ozon qui fait figure d'épouvantail depuis la dernière Transquadra qu'il a remporté en solitaire devant tous les doubles sur son Beepox 990 .
Après 12/16 h de navigation nous avons la réponse, le JPK et le SF sont bord à bord et ils ont déja distancé toute la flotte de plusieurs milles, Figaro 2 compris. Les démarches architecturales pourtant très différentes de Jacques Valer d'un coté et de Daniel Andrieu associé à Guillaume Verdier de l'autre aboutissent à des performances similaires sur ces angles serrés. Côté course et en approche de la marque de parcours le vent va refuser progressivement puis grimper brutalement (35 nds quand même !). Alex va mieux anticiper en affalant son spi assez tôt dans le bon timing quand Gérard et Jérôme trop "gourmands" se retrouvent à débouler à 15/16 nds 30° sous la route ! Affalage tardif et très compliqué avec chalutage du spi et bateau couché. Le temps de remettre tout "à l'endroit", ils perdent rapidement de précieux milles. Au passage de la marque ils sont 2/3 milles derrière et cela va un peu les calmer sur le début du bord retour qu'ils vont attaquer sous génois au dessus de la route quand Alex va glisser dessous sous spi A3 ce qui sera payant. De leur côté Gérard et Jérôme comptent déja 10 milles (!) d'avance sur la flotte et ils ne veulent surtout rien casser ! ils décident de temporiser un peu. Alex régate "hors classement" car sans certains équipements de sécurité (notamment AIS avec n° MMSI) qui ne sont pas encore enregistrés (!!) Sur "Léon" l'eau embarquée dans la chevauchée sauvage de la fin de nuit a fait s'échapper l'acide de la batterie qui a fait fondre les cables mais ca n'empêche pas le binôme de faire avancer le bateau. Le A5 est renvoyé sur "Léon" pour une dernière nuit "à l'attaque" qui permet au JPK de recoller un peu même si sans info AIS, ils ne savent pas trop où se trouve Alex qui va finalement ressortir devant eux à la Rochelle. Les 2 bateaux de tête terminent bien loin devant toute la flotte et il est clair qu'un palier a été franchi avec cette évolution apportée sur les nouveaux dessins et en tous cas sur les allures de reaching.

Encore bravo à Gérard et Jérôme qui ont été excellents avec si peu de connaissance du bateau et qui apparemment se sont régalés à bord !
Bravo à Alex (Ozon) qui a de nouveau fait une course magistrale même s'il n'apparait pas dans les classements.
Bravo également à Stéphane (Bodin) sur Wasabi qui remporte le classement solo et qui attend pour cet automne son nouveau jouet , un JPK 1030 !

I'm looking for what exactly makes the SF3300 a shorthanded boat.  This photo doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the design with shorthanded in mind.

5cde6cb80000000000000000.jpg

It is light, so not as much sail aloft to maintain speed. It is designed to sail at moderate heel angles but has plenty of RM in reserve. Dual rudders are more forgiving for tired crew & autopilots. 

1 hour ago, Foolish said:

I'm looking for what exactly makes the SF3300 a shorthanded boat.  This photo doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the design with shorthanded in mind.

5cde6cb80000000000000000.jpg

What do you see as the problem?

2 hours ago, Foolish said:

It doesn't have 8 berths and two heads down below!  I like it!  Too deep for the marina I am at though.  Needs lifting bulbed dagger board to match the rudder depth.

What do you see as the problem?

Ah, singlehanders don't hike out over the side of the boat.   We're way too busy doing all the other stuff to make the boat go fast.  Even a double hander should be busy trimming the sails for better speed and not wasting his time doing something that could be replaced by 75 litres of sea water.

A purposely designed shorthanded boat would have way of compensating for a crewman hiking very uncomfortably over the rail, such as water ballast or a swing keel or a lifting foil on the lee side. 

That boat looks like it was designed for a crew of 5, with lots of hiking to keep it upright. 

Dual rudders are more forgiving for tired crew & autopilots. 

Yes, that is  a feature I like. 

It has the option of 200 liters of water ballast. Haven't seen the final RM figures but for a 3.5 ton boat w/ 1.4 ton keel at draft just under 2 meters, eyeballing the hull - it seems like it'll be a stiff boat. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:29 AM, hoppy said:

Google translation of the post from Alex Ozon

Sapristâfront... finally sapristàfond... finally consarnit deep in the forehead...
Offshore Regatta 45/5 organized by the srr of la Rochelle.
It starts bad for me, because the running organization does not valid my registration in the morning before the departure because the boat does not yet have its number mmsi. So big huge disappointment... preparation for nothing and not going to fight with the friends, big frustration... I'm offered to do it as a companion... pff.
Anyway, I'm still going.
What a kif, discovery of this sunfast 3300 in solo and wide in the breeze.
A departure in the middle of the line in 2th curtain so you don't disturb those who officially run.
In Short, the road is not simple because a front will arrive... in the end 3 H later than planned the files. The choice of one of the others... anyway, under spi max it slides nice in mind with the jpk 10.30 léon. In the night peeling for the heavy spi in anticipation of the front. And it's coming back, the sea is getting very crossed and well rotten. But well power
And there consarnit flies, jumps from wave to wave, the numbers get excited... 15, 16, 17 kts under spi heavy, he rather safe, I start considering the the before doing it too much Late... Solo, and so no stakes, so no risk taking. Leon Gracie me from an improvised waltz... uh guys... Z ' are sure it's going like this normally... hot from warm... I continue a little more under spi and I flops then send FOC , everything goes nickel and... Let's go to attack like a big pig all the waves to send consarnit in his limits and find out what he has in the belly the coco... the cow, he sends the trick... Magical runs of madness... and pan of the 16, 17 kts... super steep and repan waves... 19,2 kts... YIAH...
Power atmosphere in donf...
Consarnit will pass the buoy buoy in the head about 2.5 miles in front of léon I jpk 10.30 and 4.9 m in front of the Figaro 2.
Then back to la Rochelle... each one his strategy in the end without knowing we will take the best option by digging on our little comrades... however... the boat is still in the phase of finalizing at the electronic level... no Sound on the computer and just before the island of gb, I have to rest. I'm completely broken, foing all the time, wrong everywhere, eat... anyway, the greater thing to do because the wind must no longer change if it's only limp... so pilot in real wind and nap... Vlatipa that this scoundrel of wind makes me a refusal of more than 90°... obviously consarnit piloted by his pilot makes the rotation... but upside down the road... anyway superb go of seagull... But anything... when I wake up and see the thing... at the start I tell myself what's the construction site... then I understand the basard... oops. Warning... FOC and the spi. And at the meadows... so there bravo... then quiet towards the entrance of the pertuis.. it covers, so sending the A3... Then 2 M before the arrival peel for the spi max.
In Short, arrival 1st of a race... without race...
Consarnit had already demonstrated his potential in the little time at the spi West and now in the breeze... as much as we imagined that it would be a breeze boat, but then I confirm, it's the first time I'm so stunned by a Boat, its attitude in the breeze, its behavior, its speed, just mind-blowing for a boat of less than 10 m.
In the end, we will end 1st in real in front of 37 competitors and 1st in compensated... all this unofficially
Full of the fill, the uncl with his partner offered to the 1st all class, a beautiful high-end watch... Benh... go... it's voucher to my pursuit
Arrived 1st in real as last year on the sunfast 3600 Louise and Thelma... in front of the doubles.. I love it, because it relaunch the eternal debate, double vs solo...
Sacred Nav for a solo discovery of consarnit. I take my marks quietly... and I think that consarnit thought to be a little peaceful career... but just understood that together, our navs will not be rest
Here's congratulations to the 38 boats who have faced conditions not always simple. Beautiful courses of more than 335 miles.
Those who want a boat fun and power and safety... Yapluka past order
What is even more impressive is that we can say what we want but we are not at the max potential of the boat... because we don't know it yet enough.
The future is promising.
Don't hesitate to sail in may... shorts and tank top not recommended... for now

To understand better

https://youtu.be/9iave4fLiXw

Fuck me!! That machine translation is harder than trying to read and comprehend цыриллиц сцрипт

:wacko::P

its easier to learn French. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foolish said:

Ah, singlehanders don't hike out over the side of the boat.   We're way too busy doing all the other stuff to make the boat go fast.  Even a double hander should be busy trimming the sails for better speed and not wasting his time doing something that could be replaced by 75 litres of sea water.

A purposely designed shorthanded boat would have way of compensating for a crewman hiking very uncomfortably over the rail, such as water ballast or a swing keel or a lifting foil on the lee side. 

That boat looks like it was designed for a crew of 5, with lots of hiking to keep it upright. 

looking through this link: https://sardinhacup.com/actus/ it does seem that some pretty good French sailors don't agree with you about hiking when DH racing. 

SF3300 Hull #1 does carry the water ballast, you can see the tank vent hoses zip tied to the aft stanchion, just aft of that extraneous person hiking.  

Righting moment is still king no matter what you sail. Look at these guys hiking a MOD 70...CAE212C9-499F-4034-88D5-7B251E0A12B5.jpeg.5f9735496bc12b545ad73d639a015091.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Foolish said:

Every crew will figure out what makes them go faster but I tend to find on any kind of white sail reaching leg it's fastest for me to hike and my mate to trim the main, with the pilot driving.

17 hours ago, Foolish said:

The woman driving the boat in that picture is Pip Hare.  So it must have been during the YW test.  I know that she will have given the boat a full singlehanded test - and is supremely qualified to do so - and so it's more than possible that she's just told the bloke to get out of the way for a bit whilst she sails the boat.  And he's chosen to sit on the side because that's probably the most comfortable place on the boat that isn't in the way...  

• Like 2

Ah, singlehanders don't hike out over the side of the boat. 

People who win might disagree with you.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, solosailor said:

It is?    7700lbs+ for a 34.5ft boat is downright heavy.

What is your point of reference? Whether 3600 or JPK 1080, you're looking at 4.7 tons. Since when is a boat with under deck accommodations, an actual head and galley at 3.5 tons heavy?

SF3300 Hull #1 does carry the water ballast, you can see the tank vent hoses zip tied to the aft stanchion, just aft of that extraneous person hiking.  

Thanks for that.  You'd think that would have been mentioned in the specs somewhere.  It's pretty darned important.

I read the pip hare review on yw (stuck at an airport for 5 hrs...)

Water ballast wasn't working during test. 

Rudders need changing

Got the impression (although not explicit) she ptefered the jpk1080.

7 hours ago, solosailor said:

If it were actually 34.5 ft, it would be light.  Brochure says 32'9".

43 minutes ago, oioi said:

I read the pip hare review on yw (stuck at an airport for 5 hrs...)

Water ballast wasn't working during test. 

Rudders need changing

Got the impression (although not explicit) she ptefered the jpk1080.

A quick search didn't come up with that review for me.  Maybe I spelled google wrong.  Can you provide a link?

14 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

A quick search didn't come up with that review for me.  Maybe I spelled google wrong.  Can you provide a link?

True in that the rudders lacked grip on a reach. New deeper rudders are now fitted and they work a dream. Also the ballast intakes have been changed to Sofoscoops which have resolved the aeration problems previously experienced.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 12:02 AM, hoppy said:

It's not a surprise when club racers are so often struggling to get crew, especially if you need crew that can do more than be just rail meat. 

I think that the sh/dh designs are the perfect club/ocean racers for owners who want to get out and race every weekend. 

+1

Cheers,

Jim B)

15 hours ago, solosailor said:

Not necessarily for a production boat, it really depends on the ballast/displ. ratio.

Don't see the ballast weight in the specs, and also the displacement says approximately. Anyone knows?

And this much earlier post is now rather funny, since they bought a whole fucking forum...

On 12/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, DtM said:

Buy an ad.

16 hours ago, Fastrak said:

True in that the rudders lacked grip on a reach. New deeper rudders are now fitted and they work a dream. Also the ballast intakes have been changed to Sofoscoops which have resolved the aeration problems previously experienced.

Glad to hear they recognized an early problem and made the effort to make new rudder molds - I don't know if it is a function of design software, with double helms, does seem to a lot of feedback for new boats designed within the last 6 years that it may be in total control and maybe great for the autopilot, but there isn't a good feel. If you're lucky the builder goes back and makes a deeper one with higher aspect ratio, but sometimes they wait until 2.0/mid-life cycle update to make new molds.

33 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Glad to hear they recognized an early problem and made the effort to make new rudder molds - I don't know if it is a function of design software, with double helms, does seem to a lot of feedback for new boats designed within the last 6 years that it may be in total control and maybe great for the autopilot, but there isn't a good feel. If you're lucky the builder goes back and makes a deeper one with higher aspect ratio, but sometimes they wait until 2.0/mid-life cycle update to make new molds.

I wonder if they "borrowed" the Figaro3 rudders since Jeanneau is part of Beneteau?

15 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Somewhere in there, but where?  (I did search)

Linky please!

Not online. Buy a magazine or wait.

So I think I read today that there are only 4 test boats and ....not really sure what the 'final' spec gonna be. Can somebody in the know comment and throw out a ballpark estimate.....no sails and no electronics?

Purdy please

On 7/2/2019 at 11:57 PM, vikram said:

So I think I read today that there are only 4 test boats and ....not really sure what the 'final' spec gonna be. Can somebody in the know comment and throw out a ballpark estimate.....no sails and no electronics?

Purdy please

Base price ex factory and ex sails & electronics will be between 104,000 to 110,000 Euros ex Vat. Things like carbon mast, water-ballast system will be optional extras. I am awaiting the invoice for my new boat, whcih is due out of the factory next week, so I will know for sure very soon!! Standard Specification and Brochette, but not prices, on the Sea Ventures website at: https://www.sea-ventures.co.uk/jeanneau-yachts/jeanneau-sun-fast-3300

• Like 1

The video clip shows a symmetrical spin, any idea of the wind speed? Looks great double handed.

41 minutes ago, d'ranger said:

The video clip shows a symmetrical spin, any idea of the wind speed? Looks great double handed.

Thats a 3200 R2......

Nigel is the 3300 substantially wetter than the 3200.....?

super impressive boat and psyched they moved the bar a bit away from cruiser and towards modern racer-  best of luck!

If this is the first and with 4 eneterd in the Fastnet how are the crew able to complete the necessary experience qualifications?

1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

If this is the first and with 4 eneterd in the Fastnet how are the crew able to complete the necessary experience qualifications?

Qualifying passage (or two) and permission from RORC? You don't have to do races to qualify, just get approval for your plan and justification why you can't do the races. The crew can still be experienced.

• Like 1

Two 3300's currently attending the Fastnet Race, Fastrak XII and Sapristi. Fastrak currently in the 1st place of the dual handed class, and 4th in IRC3. Pretty impressive, but still a long way to go.

"Having completed the Volvo Ocean Race last year, Hannah Diamond, 29, will be racing on the brand new Fastrak XII, a Jeanneau Sun Fast 3300. UK Jeanneau importers Sea Ventures has lent the Sun Fast 3200 to Diamond (ex-Vestas 11th Hour Racing) and Henry Bomby, who sailed with Dee Caffari on Turn the Tide on Plastic in the Volvo Ocean Race".

(First in IRC3, Dream Pearis, a JPK10.8 but not dual handed).

from FB

With 69 miles to go in the Fastnet, FASTRAK is lying 2nd in IRC 3 and IRC Double Handed. Henry & Hannah have broken the Code Zero in two, and have lost the wind instruments, so are back to basics. On top of that they have reported a top speed of 23 knots!!! And sistership SAPRISTI has climbed the leaderboard to 6th. Great showing by the Sun Fast 3300’s, but the race is not over yet

So first in the Fastnet first blood was taken by the JPK 10.30 with Alexis Loison (2015 Fastnet winner and Figaro sailor) and Jean Pierre Kelbert (th builder). Win in IRC 3 and win in IRC double handed. 

Fastrak the 3300 came in 2nd in both IRC 3 and IRC double handed, 6% time wise off the JPK. But, they did beat the JPK 1080 Dream Pearls into third, who, are the Fastest JPK 1080 out there (they have only ever been properly beaten offshore by Courrier) showing that they 3300 definitely has legs.

So probably with a bit more training, some more tweaking the Sunfast could have a bite at the 1030.....

Sadly no J99 out there to compare against.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 1:35 AM, A.M.S. said:

Thats a 3200 R2......

Nigel is the 3300 substantially wetter than the 3200.....?

The 3300 is remarkably dry. No wetter than a 3200 which is herself a relatively dry boat. She takes on a bow up attitude early and the full bow pushes the water out and away. With the tumblehome less water finds its way on to deck, and clever design of the deck mouldings diverts most water away before it reaches your butt. Having said that, Henry Bomby reports that at 23 knots peak BSP in the Fastnet you "can't see much infront of you"!

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

How's the interior build quality on your boat? I saw Sapristi and I have to confess the interior finish (not sure if gelcoat or paint) did not look so good. 

On 8/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, Miffy said:

How's the interior build quality on your boat? I saw Sapristi and I have to confess the interior finish (not sure if gelcoat or paint) did not look so good. 

A lot tidier than Sapristi, which was Hull 001, the prototype. My boat is Hull 003 and much better finished down below. Still room for improvement but acceptable & not bad. The first 4 boats are "prototypes" with the production series staring at Hull 005. The layout works well with some nice features, like adjustable bunk boards to make sleeping outboard easy. Great nav station. Heads .. hmmn .. time will tell. Cockpit eronomics fantastic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fastrak said:

A lot tidier than Sapristi, which was Hull 001, the prototype. My boat is Hull 003 and much better finished down below. Still room for improvement but acceptable & not bad. The first 4 boats are "prototypes" with the production series staring at Hull 005. The layout works well with some nice features, like adjustable bunk boards to make sleeping outboard easy. Great nav station. Heads .. hmmn .. time will tell. Cockpit eronomics fantastic.

Can I ask how well is the boat put together behind the obvious visual items?

I had a 3200 and it was a great boat but the electrical work was definitely substandard being a tangled mess of wires with no markings/identification and the common -neg busbar consisted of a bolt, nut and a couple of washers that floated around behind the nav station. Not sure what others were like but very disappointed with that part of the boat.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, Fastrak said:

The new Fastrak XII has arrived in the UK and had her first sail today ....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FASTRAKYACHTRACING/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2423555757703944

IMG_3669.thumb.jpg.9ff6a201236334b17f79acf63c5abec9.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

Hi Fastrak,

Just wanted to say congratulations, she looks like a beautiful boat!

I'd be really interested to see how easy you find it to flatten the boat going dw. My beamy design I have found the flatter I can get the faster we are, but its not easy. The trick seems to be to depower more, which I still mentally struggle with, as every slight lull the boat feels underpowered.

Weight on the rail makes a big difference too, even with a big keel. 

Have you had a good dw run yet? 

She looks fantastic mate, I wish you many happy miles in her.

SB

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hi Fastrak,

Just wanted to say congratulations, she looks like a beautiful boat!

I'd be really interested to see how easy you find it to flatten the boat going dw. My beamy design I have found the flatter I can get the faster we are, but its not easy. The trick seems to be to depower more, which I still mentally struggle with, as every slight lull the boat feels underpowered.

Weight on the rail makes a big difference too, even with a big keel. 

Have you had a good dw run yet? 

She looks fantastic mate, I wish you many happy miles in her.

SB

Certainly a balancing game isn't it? Need to fat arse to plane but don't want it to drag :D at least they're light enough to respond! 

On 6/26/2019 at 11:28 PM, Fiji Bitter said:

Somewhere in there, but where?  (I did search)

Linky please!

For those of us too cheap to pay for information the free version of the JPK 1030 review is out now if you're still interested and haven't seen it yet.  Paying for information is like so totally 1990's.  What next, buy a book made of paper????

https://www.yachtingworld.com/reviews/boat-tests/jpk-1030-test-couples-double-hander

• Like 5

On 8/17/2019 at 7:10 AM, shaggybaxter said:

Time to spend some more time in dinghy's shaggy :)

20 hours ago, Spoonie said:

Time to spend some more time in dinghy's shaggy :)

That very true Spoonie, I should do that.. 

But where would I put my dressing gown and slippers?  

Hearing a shiny new Sunfast 3300 landed in Western Australia this week. The next Kraken?

3 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Hearing a shiny new Sunfast 3300 landed in Western Australia this week. The next Kraken?

possible. I'm pretty sure the owners were upgrading to the 3300 

23 hours ago, Flatbag said:

Yeah, saw a video last week of one in a shed being kitted out on a local page, it is the old Kraken boys.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, hoppy said:

Not really. TP52's are designed to race around the cans, whilst the SF3300 is designed for solo passage races. I understand that the bulbless keels are faster downwind. 

We have an Archambault A40 and and A40RC regularly racing in Melb. The A40RC has the bulb and the A40 has just the fin. Around the cans, the A40RC is more competitive but in the passage races the A40 seems to be faster.

Time will tell about this boat.

This is a good point, I thought the bulb boats performed far better in a breeze or in upwind races.

Relative to the 3300 the A40 has far less sail area for it's displacement, so that should be magnified on this boat.

I didn't actually think the 3300 would be a good boat for Perth conditions. About 15 years ago sailed against a 36' boat which in an off season chopped its fin keel off and replaced it with a like weighted bulb keel and the difference was night and day. The boat was far faster around the cans, and the boat was far faster upwind, and drove so much harder upwind. No bonus in the light and the boat took a slight hit on IRC.

In >10 knots the boat beat it's old counterparts on IRC every time, in <10 knots the boat lost on IRC. But it's Perth, so it basically won every time.

3 hours ago, darth reapius said:

I didn't actually think the 3300 would be a good boat for Perth conditions. 

I guess you’ll find out soon with the new Kraken