Sean

By 44 Former U.S. Senators

By 44 Former U.S. Senators
December 10 at 8:30 PM

Dear Senate colleagues,

As former members of the U.S. Senate, Democrats and Republicans, it is our shared view that we are entering a dangerous period, and we feel an obligation to speak up about serious challenges to the rule of law, the Constitution, our governing institutions and our national security.

We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration. The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.

It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate.

We are at an inflection point in which the foundational principles of our democracy and our national security interests are at stake, and the rule of law and the ability of our institutions to function freely and independently must be upheld.

During our service in the Senate, at times we were allies and at other times opponents, but never enemies. We all took an oath swearing allegiance to the Constitution. Whatever united or divided us, we did not veer from our unwavering and shared commitment to placing our country, democracy and national interest above all else.

Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.), Bill Bradley (D-N.J.), Richard Bryan (D-Nev.), Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), Max Cleland (D-Ga.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.), Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), Dennis DeConcini (D-Ariz.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Wyche Fowler(D-Ga.), Bob Graham (D-Fla.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Gary Hart (D-Colo.), Bennett Johnston(D-La.), Bob Kerrey (D-Neb.), John Kerry (D-Mass.), Paul Kirk (D-Mass.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Ben Nelson (D-Neb.), Sam Nunn (D-Ga.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.), David Pryor (D-Ark.), Don Riegle(D-Mich.), Chuck Robb (D-Va.), Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Jim Sasser (D-Tenn.), Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), John W. Warner (R-Va.), Lowell Weicker (I-Conn.), Tim Wirth (D-Colo.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-are-former-senators-the-senate-has-long-stood-in-defense-of-democracy--and-must-again/2018/12/10/3adfbdea-fca1-11e8-ad40-cdfd0e0dd65a_story.html

• Like 1

I don't think these senators realize how the Russian government works.

32 of them are Dem's - obviously just lefty partisanship.

27 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

32 of them are Dem's - obviously just lefty partisanship.

The other R's are paid for......... they just don't wanna be shown up as HYPOCRITES.

So what the fuck does that letter actually offer?

All I can gleen from it is arse covering. 

And how totally fucked is the US system when every fucking reference to a senator has to show what party they belong to?

It may seem normal to you but it looks totally fucked to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sean said:

It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-are-former-senators-the-senate-has-long-stood-in-defense-of-democracy--and-must-again/2018/12/10/3adfbdea-fca1-11e8-ad40-cdfd0e0dd65a_story.html

What a pious bunch. Optimistic too, expecting strategic precision at any level, let alone every level. Whatever that means.

But I think there's a typo in the headline, given that they're $peaking through Bezo$' pre$$ outlet. Should have been:

Buy 44 Former US Senators

3 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:
9 hours ago, Sean said:

What a pious bunch. Optimistic too, expecting strategic precision at any level, let alone every level. Whatever that means.

But I think there's a typo in the headline, given that they're $peaking through Bezo$' pre$$ outlet. Should have been:

Huh.... a group described as the World's Most Exclusive Gentlemen's Club, which used to be an appointed body and more closely parallels the UK House of Lords more closely than anything in US traditions, is now supposed to be the "Guardians of Democracy"?

Nice thought, good luck with that.

-DSK

7 hours ago, dogballs Tom said:

Buypartisan.  Just like always.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Buypartisan.  Just like always.

Look at that. A jewel. You get an up-vote. I think my first ever for you.

7 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Look at that. A jewel. You get an up-vote. I think my first ever for you.

WWMJS.......

I didn't even know that Lowell Weicker was still alive....

He was a good Republican. (Who went Indie during the Reagan fiasco)

24 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Can someone help me understand exactly what this letter means that this group is going to do?   

There is no "going to do"...they just want to remind us how virtuous they are.

What the letter means is that we face a constitutional crisis that even many Reupblicans recognize (add the Fed Society to that list as well). 

The purpose of the letter, obviously, is to encourage GOOPERS to grow a spine - a couple of cojones would help too. 

The $ attacks above are nothing but the usual deflection by ad hominem. 

Thanks for posting Sean. 

• Like 2

Durenburger is still alive? Good for him. He represented Mn well. 

40 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Can someone help me understand exactly what this letter means that this group is going to do?   

I think it means it’s time to put country above party. 

14 hours ago, Sean said:

During our service in the Senate, at times we were allies and at other times opponents, but never enemies. We all took an oath swearing allegiance to the Constitution. Whatever united or divided us, we did not veer from our unwavering and shared commitment to placing our country, democracy and national interest above all else.

10 minutes ago, phillysailor said:

I think it means it’s time to put country above party. 

Aren't they all FORMER senators who no longer need the party (or state) support to maintain power?

26 minutes ago, phillysailor said:
14 hours ago, Sean said:

I got that Philly - but, where in there does it say anything about what they intend to DO?   I didn't closely review the list of names, but, aren't most/all of 'em no longer sitting members?  If there's an admonishment to do something differently?  I'm not seeing it - I see a "we didn't act like we think you're going to act", and I'm questioning how much impact such a comment could possibly make.  

I applaud the sentiment - but, I think that the current crop have shown themselves to be largely inconsiderate of polite suggestion and platitudes, and that an appeal w/a little more bite is warranted. 

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I got that Philly - but, where in there does it say anything about what they intend to DO?   I didn't closely review the list of names, but, aren't most/all of 'em no longer sitting members?  If there's an admonishment to do something differently?  I'm not seeing it - I see a "we didn't act like we think you're going to act", and I'm questioning how much impact such a comment could possibly make.  

I applaud the sentiment - but, I think that the current crop have shown themselves to be largely inconsiderate of polite suggestion and platitudes, and that an appeal w/a little more bite is warranted. 

Aren't they kind of parroting your "can't we all get along" PoV?

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Perhaps - but, the point I must be really clumsily making is that the letter is missing the "so DO THIS" part. 

Can you imagine how hard it would have been to get those 44 to actually agree on a prescriptive action?

I guess they are waking up to the fact that the wheels might come off this bus. 

If Trump shuts down the government on a the pretext of a budget impasse, the investigations stop. 

Then what? Who among the GOP has a spine?

Oh please change whatever channel you are watching. I beg of you.

When was the last time the US actually had a formal budget instead of continuing resolutions? Benn like a decade or more, no?

Just remember there were government shut downs under previous presidents and the world did not end. Trump is just playing to the people in the cheap seats.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The call to action wasn't clear to you?

I think that means "boondoggle recklessly as usual." What does it mean to you?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, random said:

It may seem normal to you but it looks totally fucked to me.

Like so many things in life...