J28

China moves on US car tariff cut

We won't  hear the "echo chamber" finally admitting Trump might know what he is doing. ...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, warbird said:

We won't  hear the "echo chamber" finally admitting Trump might know what he is doing. ...

Trump knows what he's doing?...... LOL! :D

That'd be a first!

26 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

That'd be a first!

That's as unlikely as Not Guilty/warbird making a comment that isn't astonishingly stupid.

For simplicity, maybe I'll just call them by a combined name, like "war criminal".

10 hours ago, warbird said:

Ever heard about broken clocks or blind squirrels?

NPR discussed it on my way home yesterday.    Most Chinese purchased American brand cars are made in joint venture factories in China,    The move may be symbolic to show the Chinese these cars are still politically OK to buy.    

In a similar vein, NPR ran an extended interview with one of the architects of the current trade war.  I tend to doubt the entirety of what was said but the key point was the west (including Europe and other partners) has long bitched about various trade manipulations.  Within the Chinese power structure, it's hard to make these structural changes without 'embarrassing' people and making them lose face, which they won't do willingly.  The answer is basically to raise the tensions, isolate Xi, let him figure out who's weak politically, and then Xi 'fixes' the problem by firiing those guys - blaming them for the bad policies - and looking like a hero for rooting out corruption.

Think Casablanca.:

I don't think anything is that simple but thus far, the narrative seems to be moving that way and it fits with Trump's temperament and Xi's political structure. 

14 hours ago, Ishmael said:

For simplicity, maybe I'll just call them by a combined name, like "war criminal".

dickface works well too 

15 hours ago, Ishmael said:

As in "trade war criminal" or as in "Hillary, Bush, what difference does it make war criminal"?  :rolleyes:  

2 hours ago, cmilliken said:

In a similar vein, NPR ran an extended interview with one of the architects of the current trade war.  I tend to doubt the entirety of what was said but the key point was the west (including Europe and other partners) has long bitched about various trade manipulations.  Within the Chinese power structure, it's hard to make these structural changes without 'embarrassing' people and making them lose face, which they won't do willingly.  The answer is basically to raise the tensions, isolate Xi, let him figure out who's weak politically, and then Xi 'fixes' the problem by firiing those guys - blaming them for the bad policies - and looking like a hero for rooting out corruption.

Think Casablanca.:

I don't think anything is that simple but thus far, the narrative seems to be moving that way and it fits with Trump's temperament and Xi's political structure. 

If the trade war was targeted against China with the world united to protect mutual corporate interests, there could be a case.   Since the trade was was targeted against the world, and lost US support for all future endeavors, it is more likely any success is coincidental.    Or is Canada really a threat to US national security as charged?   

You might want to pick up a copy of today’s WSJ.  But you won’t because what you’ll read doesn’t fit your narrative.

18 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

That'd be a first!

17 hours ago, Ishmael said:

That's as unlikely as Not Guilty/warbird making a comment that isn't astonishingly stupid.

8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ever heard about broken clocks or blind squirrels?

Uhhmmm… no connection between EU moving to ease tariffs andChina moving to ease tariffs?  :huh:  

Just asking for a friend.

23 hours ago, J28 said:

Didn’t hear about this in the MSM?  Yea, me either.  Had to go to A SINGAPORE WEBSITE   to read about it.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/china-moves-on-us-car-tariff-cut-trump-tweeted-about-after-xi-meeting

Reduction has yet to be finalized, but it's a good sign.

Do you understand how pointless this is?  This is China working in a Chinese way to help Trump save face so he lightens up on the shit that matters - raw materials etc.  American automakers MOVE production to China because the production cost is so low.  Vehicles built in the US and shipped over there already have no way to compete against their substantially cheaper Chinese built counterparts.  None.  And they are quickly copied anyway, so even if it is a unique vehicle offering there will be a chinese counterpart on the road at a 70% discount inside a year.

Tariffs on things like computer chips that are mostly designed by American companies and built by American companies in China then imported hurt US more than them.

The only American industries that are cheering over the tariffs are the ones who manufacture raw stock here, like steel and aluminum companies.  Those prices have jumped through the roof. 

Same message for you as for Lark in #11.  "You might want to pick up a copy of today’s WSJ.  But you won’t because what you’ll read doesn’t fit your narrative."

It's pretty obvious you and your elk's hope is that the much needed trade talks with China fail which allow then to continue their march toward their stated goal of world dominance in AI, and robotics, which have major implications for the US both economically and militarily.

1 hour ago, SailBlueH2O said:

China has been eating our lunch since the last ping pong ball dropped.....

Yes, and that does mean that Trump's approach makes any sense.

5 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Yes, and that does mean that Trump's approach makes any sense.

Of course....as of now it is a one way money flow...as is with many other countries.....hence the massive trade deficit that has been allowed to happen by US politicians that have been  back door bribed since the end of WWII...sure we needed to help with allowing their tariffs to get their economies and industries kick started but that time has passed and they are up and running with a huge advantage....try manufacturing and selling your product into Canada..business is a tough thing to do anyway...try doing it with tariffs.....and I am not even getting into China pirating product and thief of intellectual properties......free trade and let the markets sort it out

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Of course....as of now it is a one way money flow...as is with many other countries.....hence the massive trade deficit that has been allowed to happen by US politicians that have been  back door bribed since the end of WWII...sure we needed to help with allowing their tariffs to get their economies and industries kick started but that time has passed and they are up and running with a huge advantage....try manufacturing and selling your product into Canada..business is a tough thing to do anyway...try doing it with tariffs.....and I am not even getting into China pirating product and thief of intellectual properties......free trade and let the markets sort it out

"trade deficit" is another word for "deficit spending financed by foreigners".

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

"trade deficit" is another word for "deficit spending financed by foreigners".

Maybe you know what you said...but no one else does....early to be drinking isn't it ?

@Bristol-Cruiser What is “his approach”?

And, for extra credit, compare and contrast Trump’s approach to the China trade issues with Obama’s approach.

TIA

30 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Maybe you know what you said...but no one else does....early to be drinking isn't it ?

Even better question Sail Blue is who cares what @Mismoyled Jiblet. says.

42 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

from the libruls at the cato institute

https://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/americas-misunderstood-trade-deficit

if you run big deficits, without a corresponding increase in exports, the trade deficit expands... like it has under Trump.

4 hours ago, Lark said:

If the trade war was targeted against China with the world united to protect mutual corporate interests, there could be a case.   Since the trade was was targeted against the world, and lost US support for all future endeavors, it is more likely any success is coincidental.    Or is Canada really a threat to US national security as charged?   

Since the rest of the world seems to have established similar anti-US tariffs there is no reason to single out China as the only offender.  They just piss off the rest of the world as much as us.

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Since the rest of the world seems to have established similar anti-US tariffs there is no reason to single out China as the only offender.  They just piss off the rest of the world as much as us.

Everyday you bring @J28 levels of stupid. 

2 hours ago, J28 said:

You might want to pick up a copy of today’s WSJ.  But you won’t because what you’ll read doesn’t fit your narrative.

I doubt I'll find a WSJ, care to share?    My view on the trade thing is nuanced.   No President has acted (Dem or Pub), because all were wedded to the corporate "Don't rock the gravy boat" mantra.   Trump is mad enough to buck that, while a sane politician wouldn't.   That is actually a plus "Takes on difficult challenges".   Trump is a madman.  That is a large "Doesn't work and play well with others", and a "Does not finish tasks when started" plus a "Does not stay on topic", "Has problems with the truth" and "Cannot be trusted to do as he says" on the same report card.   

If he succeeds in reforming Chinese intellectual property  I will generally be in favor, though I recognize the excess limitations corporations have paid congress to put on Americans in that regard.   I think he might have had better odds if he addressed that problem without picking fights with all the other children on the playground first.   

• Like 3

Dog, Soreass and the other right wing fanatics don't do "nuanced".

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Because he could have taken the largest offender and built a coalition, like Bush the deader did when he took on Iraq.   We have our own trade abuses in honesty as well, particularly with grain and sugar protections.   Glass houses and all that.    NAFTA needed renegotiation, which we got.  We could have achieved that without pissing off our neighbors when the biggest change is a new name on the folder.  One of Mexico's legitimate grievances is our protectionism against their truck drivers.

Just now, Lark said:

I doubt I'll find a WSJ, care to share?    My view on the trade thing is nuanced.   No President has acted (Dem or Pub), because all were wedded to the corporate "Don't rock the gravy boat" mantra.   Trump is mad enough to buck that, while a sane politician wouldn't.   That is actually a plus "Takes on difficult challenges".   Trump is a madman.  That is a large "Doesn't work and play well with others", and a "Does not finish tasks when started" plus a "Does not stay on topic", "Has problems with the truth" and "Cannot be trusted to do as he says" on the same report card.   

If he succeeds in reforming Chinese intellectual property  I will generally be in favor, though I recognize the excess limitations corporations have paid congress to put on Americans in that regard.   I think he might have had better odds if he addressed that problem without picking fights with all the other children on the playground first.   

that will NEVER EVER happen........it is a cultural difference ...bring back those jobs and make the products here in the USA...of course the Inc's will take a hit in the MASSIVE profits....short term...but our economy in the long view will be stronger by an immeasurable degree.....

4 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

that will NEVER EVER happen........it is a cultural difference ...bring back those jobs and make the products here in the USA...of course the Inc's will take a hit in the MASSIVE profits....short term...but our economy in the long view will be stronger by an immeasurable degree.....

Some jobs will be brought back and given to robots (which may on occasion be made in the USA).   Since transportation costs are cheap, most seem to be going to Vietnam and other developing nations, which is also a good thing in our flat new world.    I am a globalist with no interest in returning to a 19th century agrarian "make it yourself or do without" existence.   I'm proud to say my new bowls were made in Portugal.   I didn't see any made in Kansas. 

Explain the cultural differences that you see regarding Chinese views on intellectual property please.   Also explain why they wouldn't adapt if forced to by a coalition of the EU, NAFTA and Japan?

8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Dog, Soreass and the other right wing fanatics do do "nuanced".

Who da do do?  You da do do!

Clown

13 minutes ago, Lark said:

If China reforms it will far more likely be because of internal Chinese dynamics than any pressure Trump is applying. There's quite a bit going on internally in China; like every other chance he can Trump likes to take credit for things he had nothing to do with. That's on his report card too.